View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1010 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 105109109601000100610071008100910101011101210131014102010601110 ... LastLast
Results 20,181 to 20,200 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Hollow One / Vengevine decks have been making strong showings in both Vintage and Modern. Do folks here still think Survival is a safe unban in Legacy?
    I personally don't think it is, it is just too strong in any fair MU where you'll just slam it on t2 and grind away from there with no more DRS to fight GY recursion and a pretty low count of Abrupt Decays as a consequence to that. Also a constant and repetable toolboxtutor for Valuestuff/silverbullets is just insane and like a gsz on steroids

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

So no grumbling about how the top 16 of the GP was literally 13 Force BS Ponder decks 2 Chalice decks and a copy of Lands?

Man this forum has changed.

This meta looks like balls.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Why bother, nothing's changing.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Why bother, nothing's changing.

But that's true of at least 700 of these 1000 pages!

The format seems to be in a similar place to the original standard format in the 90's, where the philosophy was "ban everything until necro is good, then ban necro"

It's hard to justify not playing Ux control or Ux Delver Aggro if you want to win any large event. Your options are run a chalice deck with lots of creatures, or something else and try to get lucky.

Though i suppose it's been that way for about 5+ years now so yeah.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    So no grumbling about how the top 16 of the GP was literally 13 Force BS Ponder decks 2 Chalice decks and a copy of Lands?

This was rather expected, Deathrite was never a part of the blue shell, he was just the best thing to do in the blue shell and similar for Probe. Nothing was done to change the blue shell. The meta is better now I think, but if they had banned Brainstorm it would have probably been much better in my view and possibly (I think not) worse in the view of those who like the blue shell's supremacy. It's the same situation of arguing for strategic diversity, a narrow concept in my view, versus greater diversity (including strategic diversity). This discussion is the same as before the Deathrite ban, so there's not really much to add at this point. Also, the meta is not as claustrophobic now, it improved, as to force the reactions it did a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    This was rather expected, Deathrite was never a part of the blue shell, he was just the best thing to do in the blue shell and similar for Probe. Nothing was done to change the blue shell. The meta is better now I think, but if they had banned Brainstorm it would have probably been much better in my view and possibly (I think not) worse in the view of those who like the blue shell's supremacy. It's the same situation of arguing for strategic diversity, a narrow concept in my view, versus greater diversity (including strategic diversity). This discussion is the same as before the Deathrite ban, so there's not really much to add at this point. Also, the meta is not as claustrophobic now, it improved, as to force the reactions it did a while ago.
    Agreed, Deathrite deserved to be banned, but the collateral damage Legacy faces as a result of his banning is real. Blue decks never deserved Deathrite Shaman, but now, Jund, Junk, and even BUG shells are either unplayable or are on the fringes of the format. Midrange-Combo hybrids like Food Chain and Aluren are similarly gone. Green as a whole is weaker now than it ever has been because the best fair creatures in the game are now blue and/or black. The metagame has improved, but I seriously doubt this is the end of ban talks. Brainstorm decks are still over 60% of the format and I think we're going to see the format devolve into Swords-Snap-Swords, Hymn-Snap-Hymn, True-Name Nemesis, and Griselbrand

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I've complained about it enough to locals and most of the reply has been "well that's legacy". Diversity is no longer a defining factor of the format unfortunately. I mean it's always been a thin veil anyway in the face of brainstorm dominance, but every large event essentially reaffirms that you're basically an idiot if you bring a non brainstorm/ponder deck to the event
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post

It's kinda funny to see the displeased noisy minority complain that most others are just being silently content, lol.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

It's kinda funny to see the pleased noisy minority complain too. ;)

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I mean if everyone just wants to play a bunch of mirrors or just try to out brainstorm each other then I guess you win. I'm just disappointed to see what legacy has become and it's not why I fell in love with the format. The lack of real diversity really showed itself this past weekend and I think diversity is important to many players which is what has killed standard and why modern has catapulted as by far the most popular format both in player base and viewership
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2013

I am moving more and more into one deck in Legacy and shifting over to having a broad base in Modern. For a long time I felt Legacy was the format to play, these days I feel Legacy is the format to fade away. Nothing will change, I have accepted that, I am moving on.

The card pool in Modern is deep enough I can do cool things, there is a prison deck I enjoy and the format is diverse. So why bitch about Legacy when I can play something else and enjoy myself just as much. Oh and the bonus being that since the main Modern Forums are total horseshit I never need worry about wasting my time debating on them. Since I would be kicked in about 45 minutes.

Edit:
    It amuses me to no end now that the "Go play Modern" comment thrown around like an insult is actually really solid advice.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

I am moving more and more into one deck in Legacy and shifting over to having a broad base in Modern. For a long time I felt Legacy was the format to play, these days I feel Legacy is the format to fade away. Nothing will change, I have accepted that, I am moving on.

The card pool in Modern is deep enough I can do cool things, there is a prison deck I enjoy and the format is diverse. So why bitch about Legacy when I can play something else and enjoy myself just as much. Oh and the bonus being that since the main Modern Forums are total horseshit I never need worry about wasting my time debating on them. Since I would be kicked in about 45 minutes.
    Modern absolutely sucks. There's no consistency in the decks being played. Anything is viable, which means that you can't really game-plan for any particular metagame because at any given tournament you'll face 10+ different strategies and there are very few (effective) universal answers as there are in Legacy.

This basically means that most matches are crapshoots that depend on that particular matchup, and the sideboard matters too much. Whereas in Legacy, you can say that your deck has a great game-plan for every blue deck, or is solid across the board against all the combo decks, or crushes all the creature decks... you can't really plan for things in this way in Modern because everything has such a different strategy.

Casual players love Modern because it's more random and unpredictable, and skill matters less. Good players don't like Modern because of this - it's the most random, coin-flip format in all of Magic.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Modern absolutely sucks. There's no consistency in the decks being played. Anything is viable, which means that you can't really game-plan for any particular metagame because at any given tournament you'll face 10+ different strategies and there are very few (effective) universal answers as there are in Legacy.
    All fine points. But here is where my point stands: I live in Australia. There are very very few events that play more then 6 rounds run here. So if your mostly looking at 4 rounds a week of Magic what is better, something new and different all the time or consent reruns of a show you have grown to tire of? Also in a say, 15 round event, you are going to see the same 7 to 10 decks at the top tables and I see no issues with 10 decks having a place in a format. All of which have a unique core or strategy.

Basically: More decks are playable. Its a feature, not a bug.

All fine points. But here is where my point stands: I live in Australia. There are very very few events that play more then 6 rounds run here. So if your mostly looking at 4 rounds a week of Magic what is better, something new and different all the time or consent reruns of a show you have grown to tire of? Also in a say, 15 round event, you are going to see the same 7 to 10 decks at the top tables and I see no issues with 10 decks having a place in a format. All of which have a unique core or strategy.

Basically: More decks are playable. Its a feature, not a bug.
    Oh, it's definitely more "fun" in the way that kitchen table magic is fun for the casual player. If you're a serious competitive player, however, playing Modern is like depending too much on the coin flip or the whims of the tournament bracket. In Legacy, and Standard, you can play a deck that has more generic answers (even if the answers are mostly blue and mostly the same among most of the "top" decks), and use your skill to win 60%+ of your matches regardless of the field. So if you enjoy nuanced, skilled play, and don't care that most of the decks are built to fit certain "pillars" of the format, then you should play Legacy or Standard. If you just want to jam all kinds of random decks against each other and don't really want to focus on leveraging your play skill to amass a winning record, then Modern is more your jam.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Mar 2013

Oh, it's definitely more "fun" in the way that kitchen table magic is fun for the casual player. If you're a serious competitive player, however, playing Modern is like depending too much on the coin flip or the whims of the tournament bracket. In Legacy, and Standard, you can play a deck that has more generic answers (even if the answers are mostly blue and mostly the same among most of the "top" decks), and use your skill to win 60%+ of your matches regardless of the field. So if you enjoy nuanced, skilled play, and don't care that most of the decks are built to fit certain "pillars" of the format, then you should play Legacy or Standard. If you just want to jam all kinds of random decks against each other and don't really want to focus on leveraging your play skill to amass a winning record, then Modern is more your jam.
    I love my Lands deck, its not going anywhere and I like to think I am dam good at it at this point. I do get out of bed for Legacy events in a way I won't for Modern. I will grant you all of that.

But playing weekly these days? No. Legacy is just the same thing day in, day out. My deck of choice is currently debating if it wants cards it cut when DRS became an issue back. We are honestly rehasing topics from 4 to 5 years ago. Not exactly thrilling topics for all involved. Hell I find myself talking about Music and Beer more then Lands in the Discord now and that feels like a fine evolution of what Legacy is now. A group of older players who would be more at home if the Card Shop had a bar attached.

Legacy is as exciting as Nascar now. Jeff Dunhum summed that up well: Their making a left turn. Their making a left turn, I wonder what's going to happen next. Lets cut to a commercial break folks and come back in 10 minutes, you wont have missed a fucking thing!

Thats Legacy in a sentence.

Go play Modern

(if you like your format to have half the game's history and whole categories of strategies disallowed)

I love my Lands deck, its not going anywhere and I like to think I am dam good at it at this point. I do get out of bed for Legacy events in a way I won't for Modern. I will grant you all of that.

But playing weekly these days? No. Legacy is just the same thing day in, day out. My deck of choice is currently debating if it wants cards it cut when DRS became an issue back. We are honestly rehasing topics from 4 to 5 years ago. Not exactly thrilling topics for all involved. Hell I find myself talking about Music and Beer more then Lands in the Discord now and that feels like a fine evolution of what Legacy is now. A group of older players who would be more at home if the Card Shop had a bar attached.

Legacy is as exciting as Nascar now. Jeff Dunhum summed that up well: Their making a left turn. Their making a left turn, I wonder what's going to happen next. Lets cut to a commercial break folks and come back in 10 minutes, you wont have missed a fucking thing!

Thats Legacy in a sentence.
    I have sadz, why you feels bad man?

NASCAR way moar than just left turn. Watkins Glen, Sonoma, and new for 2018 Charlotte all feature non-left turn only tracks. Even if, there''s drama with pit stops, drafting and bumping, the aero packages, restrict or plate limits on speed. There's way more to it than just, left turn. C'mon man.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

If you just want to jam all kinds of random decks against each other and don't really want to focus on leveraging your play skill to amass a winning record, then Modern is more your jam.
    That must be why you never see anyone top Modern events more than once, and why no one has made a name for themselves as Modern specialists...

Might as well play War.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Clearly something from that lantern deck was banned cause that hasn’t been seen in a while
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by NeckBird View Post
    The metagame has improved, but I seriously doubt this is the end of ban talks.
    To be fair, there is no end to ban talks. There will always be a subset of players unhappy with any given environment. If you want to explore that to its extreme, go back to the archives and look at people defending Hulk Flash.

Thread Information