View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 849 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 349749799839845846847848849850851852853859899949 ... LastLast
Results 16,961 to 16,980 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterGuy View Post
    Yeah, for banned-cards I really expect something more powerful things. The affinity cards, Stoneforge, and JTMS were so much more impactful on the game overall. It shows how little Standard resembles the previous state of the game.
    Yup.

In the past a ban in Standard meant a broken card. Nowadays the card is fine but the format is broken.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    The design cycle is what, 1.5 years out? I wonder if we'll see anything else completely retarded come out before they "change" their process.

Having to ban 3 cards or whatever now is a serious design issue in such a small format.
    They included answers in Amonkhet after seeing PT Kaladesh, so they got faster/more flexible.

There's already been 4 cards banned in Standard this year. The funny thing is that it's not a case of the cards being power crept up too far, these cards were specifically broken for Standard. (iirc) Last time we had bannings there was Caw Blade and the banned cards were so powerful that they became eternal format staples. And I know Emrakul, the Promised End has shown some playability in the eternal formats but it's not that crazy. The cat and copter will probably not ever be big cards in other formats where they are much more vulnerable.

It's an interesting situation and the problem is that they managed Standard so poorly that there weren't good deck choices and "answer" cards to counter the dominant strategies. It's good that older formats aren't being hurt badly by new broken cards though.
    That's what you get when you dumb down the game so much that just somewhat powerful cards to broken in half.

Quote Originally Posted by phg22 View Post
    Patrick Sullivan on CED talks theorized it had to do with internal WotC politics and after two days the Pro ban side was able to force the no ban side to capitulate because of the outcry. I also agree with his assessment that the explanation (about MTGO data) is almost certainly a lie and very concerning if true.
    I wonder how much the new CEO is responsible for that. WotC was always known for this kind of shit, but it was less obvious than now.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    Yup.

In the past a ban in Standard meant a broken card. Nowadays the card is fine but the format is broken.
    Weren't most standard bannings roughly the same? I feel like if JTMS was printed now he'd still be broken but way less than when caw was a thing. Seems like the splinter twin combo in a format where your interaction is only Magma Spray or killing them it's pretty broken. The best solution is to just print answers to things whether it be creatures, walkers, whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

There's already been 4 cards banned in Standard this year. The funny thing is that it's not a case of the cards being power crept up too far, these cards were specifically broken for Standard. (iirc) Last time we had bannings there was Caw Blade and the banned cards were so powerful that they became eternal format staples. And I know Emrakul, the Promised End has shown some playability in the eternal formats but it's not that crazy. The cat and copter will probably not ever be big cards in other formats where they are much more vulnerable.
    It's not even just Caw-Blade. Affinity was a great deck in Extended when it got banned out of Standard (not sure if it was a thing in Legacy then, but I don't think Legacy was much of a thing then, having only recently been split from Vintage).

Shortly before that was Skullclamp, which was Skullclamp. Moving on.

We have to go back a decent number of years before we get to the previous Standard bannings, the infamous Tempest-Urza's Standard. I'm not sure about Urza's Saga. Oh, of the 10 cards banned, 8 of them were banned in larger formats as well, but I'm not sure if Recurring Nightmare and Fluctuator, the cards banned in Standard but not elsewhere, were good enough in Extended or Type 1/1.5, anyone know?

In regards to bannings/restrictions before that, all of them bit the dust in at least one other format around the time with the exception of Hymn to Tourach, but that card is still a decent force in Legacy.

It's an interesting situation and the problem is that they managed Standard so poorly that there weren't good deck choices and "answer" cards to counter the dominant strategies. It's good that older formats aren't being hurt badly by new broken cards though.
    Like I've said before, the bannings after Urza's Saga were targeting specific cards or strategies that got through in being too powerful. Once they were removed, things went back to normal. Affinity was overpowered, but Standard didn't need more bannings after they dispensed with that deck. Same with Caw-Blade. Now they banned a bunch of cards and then Standard was still a problem. Part of that is the fact they let this combo through, but even without it, it seems like Standard was still in a problematic place.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Weren't most standard bannings roughly the same? I feel like if JTMS was printed now he'd still be broken but way less than when caw was a thing. Seems like the splinter twin combo in a format where your interaction is only Magma Spray or killing them it's pretty broken. The best solution is to just print answers to things whether it be creatures, walkers, whatever.
    No, I don't think most Standard bans are like these at all. Look at the list of previous banned-in-Standard cards: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ist-2015-07-13 I am definitely assuming that JTMS would be broken in Standard right now if these other 4 cards needed bans. Of course his Brainstorm synergy with Squadron Hawk was part of that broken deck but we play JTMS in Legacy and Vintage juuust fine without any birds to combo him with. There are other factors of course, I have no idea what removal they're running in Stnadard but I'm assuming it is weak and Jace would be very powerful.

The majority of those cards are still very powerful in Legacy/Vintage/EDH and some are even banned in Legacy. There are only a few cards that have been banned in Standard that aren't relevant today and those that aren't still relevant to us(I'm thinking of Mind Over Matter) were still very overpowered at the time and are powerful even if they aren't ban-worthy in Legacy or Vintage or EDH. Standard bannings used to be for cards that were mistakenly made overpowered but that's not happening with the current 4 bans.

In the past 10 years there have only been 6 cards banned in Standard and 4 of them are basically slightly above average power cards that were banned just in 2017. There is something deeply wrong with how wotc is managing this game and it can't be denied. I haven't played Standard since Lorwyn so the impact on that format is not important to me but it's a clear and objective measure of how bad the current team at wotc is at their job. I don't care about playing Standard but it's worrying to see how inept the people that control the game I love are.

And it is novel to see these non-broken spells being banned all of a sudden.

edit: @Lord Seth, Recurring Nightmare is still banned in EDH even if it's not seeing play in the 60 card formats. The card doesn't make the cut by today's standard for power but it's no joke.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    We have to go back a decent number of years before we get to the previous Standard bannings, the infamous Tempest-Urza's Standard. I'm not sure about Urza's Saga. Oh, of the 10 cards banned, 8 of them were banned in larger formats as well, but I'm not sure if Recurring Nightmare and Fluctuator, the cards banned in Standard but not elsewhere, were good enough in Extended or Type 1/1.5, anyone know?
    Recurring Nightmare's seen some play in Nic Fit a few years back if memory serves, and is a staple in GBW value reanimator decks in all sorts of Highlander formats where it can do hilarious things with stuff like Karmic Guide, Zur, Titans, Thragtusk and the like (were half of the stuff I listed not on EDH ban list :P)

In the past 10 years there have only been 6 cards banned in Standard and 4 of them are basically slightly above average power cards that were banned just in 2017. There is something deeply wrong with how wotc is managing this game and it can't be denied. I haven't played Standard since Lorwyn so the impact on that format is not important to me but it's a clear and objective measure of how bad the current team at wotc is at their job. I don't care about playing Standard but it's worrying to see how inept the people that control the game I love are.

And it is novel to see these non-broken spells being banned all of a sudden.
    I mean, hell, just look at TS-Lor era decks:

Lark-Blink
    Demigod Red
    GR Snow Ramp (GR ramp was interesting once upon a time O_o)
    GB Elf Rock
    Doran Rock
    Faeries

Would these be terribly likely to care? Like, yeah, nice combo you have there. Here's a Teferi's Moat on white. Have fun with those cats? Or idk just shove a Flame Javelin at the cat's face. Or Cryptic all the cats down because meh. If you even have the pieces in your hand, Thoughtseize is a card...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Recurring Nightmare's seen some play in Nic Fit a few years back if memory serves, and is a staple in GBW value reanimator decks in all sorts of Highlander formats where it can do hilarious things with stuff like Karmic Guide, Zur, Titans, Thragtusk and the like (were half of the stuff I listed not on EDH ban list :P)
    I wasn't really talking about a few years ago. I mean back around the time Recurring Nightmare and Fluctuator were banned in Standard.

I mean, hell, just look at TS-Lor era decks:

Lark-Blink
    Demigod Red
    GR Snow Ramp (GR ramp was interesting once upon a time O_o)
    GB Elf Rock
    Doran Rock
    Faeries

Would these be terribly likely to care? Like, yeah, nice combo you have there. Here's a Teferi's Moat on white. Have fun with those cats? Or idk just shove a Flame Javelin at the cat's face. Or Cryptic all the cats down because meh. If you even have the pieces in your hand, Thoughtseize is a card...
    Well, the deck could win without the combo, which was part of its power. Still, I do wonder how the CopyCat combo would fare against past Standard decks. It'd actually be pretty funny if it turns out to be really mediocre against past decks...
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 04-29-2017 at 10:59 PM.

I'm convinced, we're storming the inepts at WotC. Violent overthrow is the only option.

I wasn't really talking about a few years ago. I mean back around the time Recurring Nightmare and Fluctuator were banned in Standard.

Well, the deck could win without the combo, which was part of its power. Still, I do wonder how the CopyCat combo would fare against past Standard decks. It'd actually be pretty funny if it turns out to be really mediocre against past decks...
    Load it up on Cockatrice vs UB Faeries, basically the Miracles of Lorwyn standard. You beat 4 Spellstutters, 4 Cryptics, and a couple Slaughter Pacts, and you win bud, you win.

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    Load it up on Cockatrice vs UB Faeries, basically the Miracles of Lorwyn standard. You beat 4 Spellstutters, 4 Cryptics, and a couple Slaughter Pacts, and you win bud, you win.
    And a couple Flashfreezes. Playing fair vs. Bitterblossom, Scion of Oona, Mistbind Clique and Ancestral Vision sounds like fun too.

Reveillark could be another fun test - the deck's matchups basically went:
    The format - Bye
    Faeries - RIP
    If Faeries beat everything, Lark crushed everything except Faeries (and Merfolk, which had an about even MU vs. both. Who likes full fat Merfolk?)

Found another gem that was developed late in the TS-Lor format's lifetime: Five color control by the name Quick 'n Toast.
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    And a couple Flashfreezes. Playing fair vs. Bitterblossom, Scion of Oona, Mistbind Clique and Ancestral Vision sounds like fun too.

Reveillark could be another fun test - the deck's matchups basically went:
    The format - Bye
    Faeries - RIP
    If Faeries beat everything, Lark crushed everything except Faeries (and Merfolk, which had an about even MU vs. both. Who likes full fat Merfolk?)

Found another gem that was developed late in the TS-Lor format's lifetime: Five color control by the name Quick 'n Toast.
    You forgot Dragonstorm, with a Turn 1 kill hand, and consistent T4 kill on the play.

Man, I really do miss TS-Lorwyn Standard.

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    You forgot Dragonstorm, with a Turn 1 kill hand, and consistent T4 kill on the play.

Man, I really do miss TS-Lorwyn Standard.
    And Elfball and Melira combo and if stretching a bit Brine lock...
    (On Innistrad)

In recent events, Deathrite Shaman was in about 55% of Decks.

We need a ban on drs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post

We need a ban on drs.
    After Brainstorm and Ponder have bit the dust, sure.
    (On Innistrad)

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Can't we finish burying the current body before we seek out another?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

It's not even just Caw-Blade. Affinity was a great deck in Extended when it got banned out of Standard (not sure if it was a thing in Legacy then, but I don't think Legacy was much of a thing then, having only recently been split from Vintage).

Shortly before that was Skullclamp, which was Skullclamp. Moving on.

We have to go back a decent number of years before we get to the previous Standard bannings, the infamous Tempest-Urza's Standard.
    This is true, but it may be that people seeing that one Standard was basically Siege Rhino everywhere and another standard before that was mostly mono-black and before that it was Sphinx Rev (i think?), etc.. was maybe chipping away at they're willingness to commit to "let's let people rot in this forsaken world" for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Nope.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

LOL! Just mere days after the ban of STD, and people are already screaming for the head of DRS...

'And so it goes on, day after day, year after year. Slime in this ear, slime in that ear... Don't you ever yearn for change?'

WotC did what it had to do, and I sincerly hope they leave Legacy alone for a while. Change is here, enjoy this new found freedom, and go with the flow. Stop screaming for the next ban, it doesn't make you look good.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

We need a ban on drs.
    Let's step back for a moment and get realistic.
    Wizards is EXTREMELY reluctant to ban creatures.
    There are a total of 2 creatures currently banned in Legacy because they enable dumb combos (and Goblin Recruiter is borderline)
    People need to calm down about banning DRS.
    After all, it dies to removal.
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Aug 2015
    The woods again

We need a ban on drs.
    Yeah! I hate good cards, too.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Thread Information