View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 968 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 46886891895896496596696796896997097197297810181068 ... LastLast
Results 19,341 to 19,360 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    As Julian won it with elves, he might be able to enlighten us about the field. Are the Lists online already?

On a general note, the meta is so inbreed with 21%+ DRS+BlueShell that running overspecialized predators might be somewhat viable despite 4c's/Grixis' usually stable curve and mana. We will see how Grixis/4c reacts to this event.
    Yes they are: http://series.magiccardmarket.eu/201...ys-main-event/ .

The linear decks are just consequence of the warped meta, because if you are playing for a longer, more interactive game, there are very few decks that operate on a similar level of consistency, versatility and efficiency that grixis DRS offers. Any deck that isnt a linear combo/ stompy deck that only draws one card a turn is being pushed out of the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    As Julian won it with elves, he might be able to enlighten us about the field. Are the Lists online already?

On a general note, the meta is so inbreed with 21%+ DRS+BlueShell that running overspecialized predators might be somewhat viable despite 4c's/Grixis' usually stable curve and mana. We will see how Grixis/4c reacts to this event.
    I thought DRS was soo good, that even the 4c mana base fights through wastelands and blood moons? And now they are the natural predators?

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    @JDK: So, I make a comment about how we can observe a polarization and that it seems bad for the meta. And you reply that it is the linear strategies you don't like. Well, maybe these are two sides of the same coin?
    Me: "I don't like apples"
    You: "You don't like fruits."
    Me: "No, I just don't like apples. I still like pears etc."
    You: "Well, they are all fruits, so you don't like fruits."

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Me: "I don't like apples"
    You: "You don't like fruits."
    Me: "No, I just don't like apples. I still like pears etc."
    You: "Well, they are all fruits, so you don't like fruits."
    I think what pettdan meant was that because you want Brainstorm to be a thing, you are now getting very linear strategies that prey on it. You can't have one without the other, or something of that nature.

To continue bad analogies: Legacy is a fruit salad, you want pears in it, but the fruit salads that have pears all come bundled together with apples.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    I thought DRS was soo good, that even the 4c mana base fights through wastelands and blood moons? And now they are the natural predators?
    So far this is an outliner and no way a benchmark for the meta by itself. We need to sieve trough the lists and data to see if the DRS+BlueShell players weren't just simply slacking in regards to answers to Lands & Co.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jesus Christ why don't you all just change the name of this topic to ban brainstorm.

Pages and pages of dribble about brainstorm and drs.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    Jesus Christ why don't you all just change the name of this topic to ban brainstorm.

Pages and pages of dribble about brainstorm and drs.
    Fuck, that is a really tempting idea.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

While the conversation in this forum in particular tends to be circular (due almost entirely to transient Magic players with outsized opinions), I feel the the extended conversation is largely warranted. Brainstorm's effect on the format and its peculiar status as having immunity on an island that has booted plenty of cards that Brainstorm caused the banning of, is a strange element of eternal formats. Legacy really is the Brainstorm format, warped inexorably around its presence. There is a lot to discuss about it.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    While the conversation in this forum in particular tends to be circular (due almost entirely to transient Magic players with outsized opinions), I feel the the extended conversation is largely warranted. Brainstorm's effect on the format and its peculiar status as having immunity on an island that has booted plenty of cards that Brainstorm caused the banning of, is a strange element of eternal formats. Legacy really is the Brainstorm format, warped inexorably around its presence. There is a lot to discuss about it.
    I would argue that it's not "the brainstorm format". It's the "brainstorm and fetchland format". both are oppressive in their own fun and unique way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    I would argue that it's not "the brainstorm format". It's the "brainstorm and fetchland format". both are oppressive in their own fun and unique way.
    Is “oppressive” the word you’re looking for here?

Quote Originally Posted by WashableWater1 View Post
    Is “oppressive” the word you’re looking for here?
    I think so, according to merriam webster:

Definition of oppressive
    1 : unreasonably burdensome
    2 : tyrannical an oppressive government
    3 : overwhelming or depressing to the spirit or senses

1 and 3 seem right .

Oppressive with Brainstorm meaning you either have to play it or be fully prepared to try and beat it. Most people will do one of these two but that doesn't mean it's not oppressive. There are a number of cards still on the banned list that wouldn't require near the effort to beat than brainstorm.

Which cards did Brainstorm cause the banning of? The banned cards I see that are most "associated" with Brainstorm are Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, and Sensei's Divining Top... all of which also got banned in formats that didn't have access to Brainstorm, so it seems silly to claim Brainstorm caused their banning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Which cards did Brainstorm cause the banning of? The banned cards I see that are most "associated" with Brainstorm are Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, and Sensei's Divining Top... all of which also got banned in formats that didn't have access to Brainstorm, so it seems silly to claim Brainstorm caused their banning.
    Sensei's Top, miracles loses a disproportionate amount of power and consistency from a brainstorm ban (as compared to other blue decks). Card was fine outside of the miracles shell.
    Lands, MUD, Stax, and Miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Barachai View Post
    Sensei's Top, miracles loses a disproportionate amount of power and consistency from a brainstorm ban (as compared to other blue decks). Card was fine outside of the miracles shell.
    Sensei's Divining Top was banned in Extended. Brainstorm was not legal at the time, I believe. It was also banned in Modern, but admittedly it never proved itself to be an issue as it was banned at the very start (though the same is also true of Skullclamp, of course).

Sensei's Divining Top was banned in Extended. Brainstorm was not legal at the time, I believe. It was also banned in Modern, but admittedly it never proved itself to be an issue as it was banned at the very start (though the same is also true of Skullclamp, of course).
    They were banned for different reasons there than for legacy; in legacy, the primary motivator for the ban was its utility in a specific deck, namely miracles, which happens to be a deck that specifically values brainstorm over the other cantrips in ways that other xerox decks do not. Speculative, but without brainstorm there is a real possibility that miracles could never have achieved what it did, thus sparing Top.
    Lands, MUD, Stax, and Miracles.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Seth, on this site, possibly this thread, a few years ago I asked the Miracles players to weigh in on an extended conversation about what Miracles would look like without Brainstorm. In a strange twist, everyone seemed to agree. Miracles could not exist without Brainstorm. Interestingly it apparently can exist without Top. And yeah, there was also a good conversation about Treasure Cruise's dependence on Brainstorm just before it got axed and another one months later just before Dig got banned. They have been carving up the format to keep Brainstorm in it for a long time.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

And it is seeming like DRS is next on the list to fall because of brainstorm (as it currently stands now it's probably the most bannable card anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Seth, on this site, possibly this thread, a few years ago I asked the Miracles players to weigh in on an extended conversation about what Miracles would look like without Brainstorm. In a strange twist, everyone seemed to agree. Miracles could not exist without Brainstorm. Interestingly it apparently can exist without Top. And yeah, there was also a good conversation about Treasure Cruise's dependence on Brainstorm just before it got axed and another one months later just before Dig got banned. They have been carving up the format to keep Brainstorm in it for a long time.
    The fact that Treasure Cruise was blatantly overpowered in a Brainstorm-less format would seem to indicate that banning Treasure Cruise was not an attempt to ban around Brainstorm, as the card was clearly quite overpowered even without Brainstorm. Ditto with Dig Through Time. Heck, Modern doesn't even have Ponder or Preordain, and Treasure Cruise was still abusive just off the back of Serum Visions and Thought Scour. So the idea that Treasure Cruise was in any way dependent on Brainstorm, and/or was banned to avoid a Brainstorm ban, appears quite silly. Top is a little more plausible, but it seems there were time concerns involved in it as well, which a Brainstorm ban wouldn't fix.

The fact that Treasure Cruise was blatantly overpowered in a Brainstorm-less format would seem to indicate that banning Treasure Cruise was not an attempt to ban around Brainstorm, as the card was clearly quite overpowered even without Brainstorm. Ditto with Dig Through Time. Heck, Modern doesn't even have Ponder or Preordain, and Treasure Cruise was still abusive just off the back of Serum Visions and Thought Scour. So the idea that Treasure Cruise was in any way dependent on Brainstorm, and/or was banned to avoid a Brainstorm ban, appears quite silly. Top is a little more plausible, but it seems there were time concerns involved in it as well, which a Brainstorm ban wouldn't fix.
    Mate, you didn't understand the mantra of this threat: "All problems that Legacy ever had, has or will have come down to Brainstorm"

Thread Information