View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 986 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 48688693697698298398498598698798898999099610361086 ... LastLast
Results 19,701 to 19,720 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

It's insane how some of you keep bragging about brainstorm even if it's clear that it wont get banned ever.

You may be disappointed, but if you truly hate brainstorm the "then play another format" solution it's actually the only one, right or not, brainstorm will never get banned, fetches will never get banned, duals will never get banned, get over it...
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    It's insane how some of you keep bragging about brainstorm even if it's clear that it wont get banned ever.

You may be disappointed, but if you truly hate brainstorm the "then play another format" solution it's actually the only one, right or not, brainstorm will never get banned, fetches will never get banned, duals will never get banned, get over it...
    The dinosaurs will slowly die
    And I do believe no one will cry
    I'm just fucking glad I'm gonna be
    There to watch the fall

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    If you consider Ponza as a prison deck. I think there is a Mono Green and Mono Black version of the deck.
    There is also the one dude who has been having a lot of success with Rhystic Circle tron recently

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I think the general feel since it got official Pillar status has been to "Get over it". Does not make it right. Does not making voicing ones opinion wrong.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I don't hate brainstorm. I just wish it didn't dwarf the diversity of the format. If you remove it from the format blue is forced to do other things than just splash into every deck because it makes the deck more efficient. Other cards become useful and different decks emerge. banning it would be in line with their philosophy of removing something from the format because is warps the format and hinders diversity. I cannot think of a better example than brainstorm. The other pillars of the format dont even remotely have the same effect.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    If you remove it from the format blue is forced to do other things than just splash into every deck because it makes the deck more efficient. Other cards become useful and different decks emerge.
    As if Ponder + Preordain + FoW wouldn't be a total no-brainer for next to every deck in that case.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    As if Ponder + Preordain + FoW wouldn't be a total no-brainer for next to every deck in that case.
    Preordain is a sourcery.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

Ponder and Preordain being sorceries are issues, yes, but I don't think they reduce the power of blue enough to break open the metagame. Daze and Force both allow tempo decks to operate at sorcery speed without having a Shields Down moment, and tempo decks with blue and black already tap out for discard, so...

Brainstorm is just hands-down the best cantrip available.

Also, 100% agreed on Pauper being great. It's not a real format, though. WotC needs to officially reconcile the legality difference between paper and online first - print Battle Screech and Chainer's Edict at common in a Masters set and then figure out whether they want Hymn, High Tide, and Sinkhole legal in the format (my guess is no, yes, no).

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Sure you could start playing preordain but the power loss from brainstorm would really impact decks more than you think.

Some would call force of will a pillar, and in my opinion it is. However, it is an important tool in maintaining balance and irder to the format. If you remove it combo decks run rampant and wotc has to ban all the combos in the format. You end up with something that looks like modern...no one wants that.

Using preordain if brainstorm gets removed is a no brainer because preordain is just the next best option. The difficult choice comes when you have to answer the question, are preordain and ponder good enough for me to not consider options in other colors?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Preordain is a sourcery.
    Ponder and preordain are sorceries AND they are not nearly as good as brainstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Ponder and Preordain being sorceries are issues, yes, but I don't think they reduce the power of blue enough to break open the metagame. Daze and Force both allow tempo decks to operate at sorcery speed without having a Shields Down moment, and tempo decks with blue and black already tap out for discard, so...

Brainstorm is just hands-down the best cantrip available.
    Legacy is a format about being the most efficient as possible with your cards and choices. Many games are won by small margins. If you force decks that play blue to play with preordain and ponder instead of brainstorm and ponder the value of adding blue to your deck in general drops. Maybe now it is not as efficient to play with blue as opposed to another color.

Force of will requires 16-20 blue cards to reliably be cast in deck. If your blue card options are now not as good it becomes less attractive to include.

Think of how many decks are built and come into fruition because 1 new card is printed? I'm not talking about a a card that allows for a new combo or something but rather a card that increases consistency enough for a deck to be successful.

I would challenge people that believe the impact of what i'm saying to simply take a deck they play with brainstorm and replace them with preordain and play 10 games. Note the inefficiencies and report back.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Who cares if Ponder & Preordain are worse than Brainstorm as long as they are better than Harmonize and pitch to FoW?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Preordain is a sourcery.
    If preordain is a sour-cery, is brainstorm a shitstant?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

bruizar

Brainstorm was never the problem. The problem is fetchland.

You axe fetch land, and
    1) duals return to normal prices
    2) other lands stand a chance of being playable
    3) brainstorm loses its grip on the format

The free shuffle effect is what makes Brainstorm busted, not the effect itself.

If Brainstorm does get the axe, I can't wait for Miracles players to have to run shit like Conch Horn. I mean, they're already running Soothsaying in the absence of Sensei's Divining Top :D

May 2015
    PDX

I feel like Scroll Rack is better than Conch Horn by many degrees of magnitude....which is why a Conch Horn buyout is unavoidable at this point.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post

You axe fetch land, and
    1) duals return to normal prices
    2) other lands stand a chance of being playable
    3) brainstorm loses its grip on the format

The free shuffle effect is what makes Brainstorm busted, not the effect itself.

If Brainstorm does get the axe, I can't wait for Miracles players to have to run shit like Conch Horn. I mean, they're already running Soothsaying in the absence of Sensei's Divining Top :D

Very very rarely have I seen soothsaying in a deck. And axing fetches just makes duals more necessary. Now instead of 2-3 of a dual I need 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    (...)And axing fetches just makes duals more necessary. Now instead of 2-3 of a dual I need 4
    This is almost right - Except when you remove the fetchland's need of a basic land type, your card pool opens up to many different "dual land" cycles that regain usefulness because they are no longer painfully outclassed. Maybe painland days are gone, but there are fastlands and others, as well as new "city of brass"-esque lands with several different takes, none of which see a significant amount of play in the format at the moment. But maybe they would...

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Of course they are. You however wont get WotC and the playerbase behind that idea because they would all hyperbole into "OMG! EVERY DECK NOW NEEDS 20 DUALS! 8000$ decks!"

Without Fetches you could unban anything from Deathrite over Divining Top to Treasure Cruise without any negative impact while drastically nerfing blue altogether.

Join us at Facebook!

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Yeah, WOTC should ban fetchlands in a format with Wasteland. They need to get right on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

Like many others, I don't hate Brainstorm. I love Brainstorm, and own ~30 copies to play it across several Legacy decks. You can also tell I love playing blue. The last card I own as many that is not a basic land? Mental Misstep I enjoy playing with Brainstorm, and I also enjoyed playing Mental Misstep. Why do I advocate a ban for since a decade? So that many other cards I also enjoy playing won't be the victims, including DRS and Probe. I am afraid we are seeing a scenario as Vintage banning 3sphere, Lodestone Golem, and Thorn of Amethyst. One day, it will touch your pet card, don't weep and kiss Brainstorm.
    On the Sep 2011 Ban List Updates,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    Yep DCI/Wizards never fails... those that cry the loudest wins!

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    This is almost right - Except when you remove the fetchland's need of a basic land type, your card pool opens up to many different "dual land" cycles that regain usefulness because they are no longer painfully outclassed. Maybe painland days are gone, but there are fastlands and others, as well as new "city of brass"-esque lands with several different takes, none of which see a significant amount of play in the format at the moment. But maybe they would...
    I understand what you're saying, but duals are still the best choice 99% of the time and thus before you play any number of Seachrome Coast, Glacial Fortress, or Mystic Gate, you are already maxed out on Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    Because the average legacy players don't react like the snobbish miracles cult does...
    Or the Miracles players are smart enough to see past the BS rationale that WotC gave for the Top ban and people have been saying DRS is broke since even before the Top ban.

In other words, people aren't salty about DRS because they know it deserves a ban, whereas people are salty about Top because it wasn't the card that needed a ban from that deck.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Thread Information