View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 843 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 343743793833839840841842843844845846847853893943 ... LastLast
Results 16,841 to 16,860 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Re: All B/R update speculation.

I asked them to ban Top in the survey somone posted a few days ago. Thank me for making Legacy great again. :]

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I still wonder about the timing for the Eternal changes. The data to justify a Top ban has been there for years, but why now? It wouldn't suprise me if it is partly used as a distraction since they didn't do jackshit to Standard. Again. No changes at all would probably cause a riot.
    Because sets are planned a couple of years in advance, and Top was placed in EMA.

They probably wanted to do it much earlier, but couldn't ban Top until EMA was released for sometime.

Oct 2011
    California

Strongly suspect that:

• By end of 2017: Deathrite Shaman will not be legal in Legacy.
    • By end of 2018: Something from the Delver shell and something from at-the-time-most-popular combo deck will be banned in Legacy. Intuition tells me LED or Griselbrand.
    • By end of 2019: Something else from the Delver shell, and 1-2 more combo cards will get the axe.
    • 2020: Legacy players wonder whether they should have celebrated WotC "listening" to internet complaints.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by KZhang View Post
    Because sets are planned a couple of years in advance, and Top was placed in EMA.

They probably wanted to do it much earlier, but couldn't ban Top until EMA was released for sometime.
    That's still a 3/4 year to get it done. They even just released Counterbalance as invocation - which is completely worthless without Top.

Quote Originally Posted by ubernostrum View Post
    Strongly suspect that:

• By end of 2017: Deathrite Shaman will not be legal in Legacy.
    • By end of 2018: Something from the Delver shell and something from at-the-time-most-popular combo deck will be banned in Legacy. Intuition tells me LED or Griselbrand.
    • By end of 2019: Something else from the Delver shell, and 1-2 more combo cards will get the axe.
    • 2020: Legacy players wonder whether they should have celebrated WotC "listening" to internet complaints.
    So they're fixing the format by getting rid of all the cancer that shat up the format since Delver was released? Good riddance!

May 2005
    Wisconsin

I voted for top years ago in this thread lol

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

I still wonder about the timing for the Eternal changes. The data to justify a Top ban has been there for years, but why now? It wouldn't surprise me if it is partly used as a distraction since they didn't do jackshit to Standard. Again. No changes at all would probably cause a riot.
    I think Top/Miracles had been on the watchlist since Dig got banned but there kept being hiccups that could lead them to say 'maybe this is enough to rein it in'. And a lot of times the initial 'maybe' was plausible - the Aether Revolt B/R meeting almost surely came on the heels of Duke's GP win with 8 mana dorks (making it seem like Leovold did his job), Kaladesh came out on the heels of Leovold and Sanctum Prelate being printed, and Recruiter of the Guard and Eldrazi before that. The bar for bannings to nerf Control decks is historically pretty high, ostensibly because they slow formats down and can make games seem interactive even if they're too good for healthy competitive metagames.

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

The banner for this thread is silly now: "not that they will touch it." Also, I'm sure it was the 192 people participating in this poll that had the biggest impact on the banning. I'm selling all my Tarmogoyf tomorrow (wait, I don't own any). I guess I have to sell my LEDs

May 2016
    Portland, OR

On the topic of banning Top vs Counterbalance or Terminus, does anyone think WotC cares about the optics of having cards banned in legacy but legal in moden?

Quote Originally Posted by phg22 View Post
    On the topic of banning Top vs Counterbalance or Terminus, does anyone think WotC cares about the optics of having cards banned in legacy but legal in moden?
    I really hope not. We have cards legal in legacy but restricted in Vintage. DRS was banned in Modern but legal in Standard.

This sort of thing helps convey that the formats have different textures.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    BUGx TNN + Leovold. Not that Miracles stomped over that deck (in fact, Miracles had an even to unfavorable MU against them), but now that the premier "doesn't target to remove" deck is gone, TNN will become better and Leovold will nearly always draw you a card.
    Have you even played a BUG-Deck ever? Against Burn, Lands, Elves, TurboDebths, S&T, MonoR Sneak? It has enough natural enemies unlike Miracles.

Well, when I read in the Miracles threat you guys were allways claiming BUG as a unfavorable Miracles MU was far fetched especially since the swith to MD Predict. No it suddenly changes so you can cry about the ban... I must say Miracles (ex)players are really entertaining at times^^

Is it too soon to discuss unbanning Earthcraft again? :D

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Ban Brainstorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Wow. I can't believe WotC actually made a ban in Legacy. Not only that, but a ban that might actually really impact things. Does this mean you like me again Wizards? Are you saying we can be friends?

Sensei's Stalling Top was a card I disliked but never felt like it was trouble until we had Counterbalance. Then they made miracles.

Good riddance.

now that they banned top, is there any argument for keeping mana drain banned?

This isn't an explicit argument against the ban, but part of me does wonder how much Legacy knowledge the B/R people have. I mean, have Aaron Forsythe and the rest even heard of DDFT? Maybe they don't even know that they killed decks, so it couldn't factor in.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

So they're killing the format by getting rid of all the good stuff that made the format more interesting than Modern since Delver was released?
    Fixed that for you. If you want to play a format dominated by midrange, there's one that shares the first letter with the archetype.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Snacks View Post
    This isn't an explicit argument against the ban, but part of me does wonder how much Legacy knowledge the B/R people have. I mean, have Aaron Forsythe and the rest even heard of DDFT? Maybe they don't even know that they killed decks, so it couldn't factor in.
    To be fair, the choice was one of "Kill the enabler or the enabled." They went with the enabler. I do not feel decks like 12 post, Painter, DDFT or Nic Fit ever hit the radar. Nor do I think if they had of hit the radar it would have changed anything.

Wizards state they wish to hit the card that makes things happen, Flash, Survival, Pod and Twin all show that to be true. The only format they honesty choose to not follow this rule is in Vintage where they choose to leave things like Bazaar, Ritual* and Workshop alone. I also wish they had of left Gush alone. But that's a talk for a different time.

*I am not suggesting Ritual should be Restricted, but at one point there was an argument for it and it was left untouched as a "Pillar".
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

*I am not suggesting Ritual should be Restricted, but at one point there was an argument for it and it was left untouched as a "Pillar".
    Unfortunately it will never be a Pillar again in a world of Misstep your misstep that is misstepping my misstep that is misstepping your ritual
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Fixed that for you. If you want to play a format dominated by midrange, there's one that shares the first letter with the archetype.
    Honest question. Why is it I am hearing how midrange is going to take over in a world where Tempo, Combo and Prison Control decks all exist? I mean, if I thought a field was going to be Delver, Lands, ANT and SnT, I don't think I am showing up with Jund, BUG or 4Colour.

I am not sold on "Midrange: the format" as a true direction for us. Sure, midrange style decks will increase in popularity as things like Push come to the front and as people look to see if Blade decks are viable again. That's not the format though, that's not also including the people moving over to SnT because they already have fetches and Volcanics, that's not including the people picking up TES, ANT and other quick combo decks as they test the waters.

Miracles fading doesn't mean suddenly everyone is playing Blade, BUG and Jund. I mean, please do, they are wonderful meals for my Dark Mistress.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Honest question. Why is it I am hearing how midrange is going to take over in a world where Tempo, Combo and Prison Control decks all exist?
    Because to a few Miracles=Control and Control=Miracles. Miracles is not longer a deck, which means there will never be control ever again, ever. Once you believe that then they can give you the entire rabbit hole tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information