View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 397 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 297347387393394395396397398399400401407447497897 ... LastLast
Results 7,921 to 7,940 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    This. Everyone is saying it's so good because it's versatile. Sure. It's a good deck. And it would probably be T1 in legacy. Is that bad? It didn't seem to absolutely ruin the format before, and now with the plethora of answers readily available to fight it off it seems fine.
    WotC thinks it's bad, that they would have to design creatures with the question "how this would interact with Survival?" in the back of their heads as having it legal would prohibit any creatures interacting with the graveyard or any absurdity like Emrakul from seeing print. In the last 8 years the game became so creature-heavy that SotF's various modes became absurdly good in fighting off hate.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I don't see what's changed in the time since Survival was banned that would make decks like Thresh, Zoo and Elves want to run it when they didn't before.

It would displace probably a very small range of decks (probably just Jund and Shardless Bug) and replace them with a variety of interesting, more unique and engaging decks instead.
    When I mention that "creature heavy midrange" would be unplayable without SotF, you bring up Thresh and Zoo? Wanna tell me that DRS + TNN + SotF would not annoy the hell out of people, especially after BG decks got a boost with Return to Ravnica overall and Griselbrand saw print?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I think the continued legality of Show and Tell negates any argument that Wizards actually spends time worrying about Legacy impact seriously.

When I mention that "creature heavy midrange" would be unplayable without SotF, you bring up Thresh and Zoo? Wanna tell me that DRS + TNN + SotF would not annoy the hell out of people, especially after BG decks got a boost with Return to Ravnica overall and Griselbrand saw print?
    Yes?

That decklist sounds terrible.

Please show me what you're thinking about playing.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by [SLAYER]chaos View Post

Survival is not only 100% safe, it would improve the metagame by giving miracles what should be a unfavorable matchup, therefore lessening the raw strength of the 4 terminus plan on other green based aggro decks.
    It may lessen 4 Terminus plan for Miracles. It will also greatly increase the 4 Survival plan against those very same green based aggro decks that you're wishing to promote. Which i don't think are better in a head to head match up against It.

That decklist sounds terrible.

Please show me what you're thinking about playing.
    It has to be slightly better than your
    Hand: Bayou, Fetch, Fetch, Deathrite Shaman, Squee, Griselbrand, Genesis.

Such deck, very good working midrange, wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

It's not a rhetorical question.

Produce one of these busted Survival lists. I don't expect a perfect spit-polish, but I want an idea of what people are so scared of.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

It's not a rhetorical question.

Produce one of these busted Survival lists. I don't expect a perfect spit-polish, but I want an idea of what people are so scared of.
    The list Caleb settled on after doing some testing for his banned list series was:

3x Mother of Runes
    1x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1x Spirit of the Labyrinth
    1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1x Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1x Loyal Retainers
    4x Vengevine
    4x Basking Rootwalla
    4x Noble Hierarch
    2x Fauna Shaman
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    3x Knight of the Reliquary

3x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Survival of the Fittest
    3x Spell Pierece

4x Wasteland
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Gaea's Cradle
    1x Karakas
    1x Dyrad Arbor
    2x Forest
    3x Misty Rainforest
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Savannah
    2x Tropical Island

Basically his analysis was that with SotF you basically just crush all of the fair decks in the format because they can't keep up with the advantage Survival gives you. Cards like Aburpt Decay and Deathrite Shaman don't really matter all that much, they're pretty easy to play around. The only thing that would theoretically keep Survival in check would be the unfair decks since Survival is a bit durdley since you need to play a bunch of dorks and random idiots like Rootwalla. However its probably not a good thing to have one deck that embarrasses all of the other fair decks in the format.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Feaor View Post
    The list Caleb settled on after doing some testing for his banned list series was:

3x Mother of Runes
    1x Loyal Retainers
    4x Vengevine
    4x Basking Rootwalla
    4x Noble Hierarch
    2x Fauna Shaman
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Qasali Pridemage

3x Green Sun's Zenith
    3x Spell Pierece

4x Wasteland
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Gaea's Cradle
    1x Karakas
    1x Dyrad Arbor
    2x Forest
    3x Misty Rainforest
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Savannah
    2x Tropical Island

Basically his analysis was that with SotF you basically just crush all of the fair decks in the format because they can't keep up with the advantage Survival gives you. Cards like Aburpt Decay and Deathrite Shaman don't really matter all that much, they're pretty easy to play around. The only thing that would theoretically keep Survival in check would be the unfair decks since Survival is a bit durdley since you need to play a bunch of dorks and random idiots like Rootwalla. However its probably not a good thing to have one deck that embarrasses all of the other fair decks in the format.
    Phyrexian revoker namig survival of the fittest? game won for D&T :)

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Gerry T has a ooze list. Although this one is easier to stop the combo with DRS.

2 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Fauna Shaman
    2 Necrotic Ooze
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    4 Quirion Ranger
    1 Shield Sphere
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Triskelion
    4 Vengevine
    1 Wispmare
    Creatures [29]
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Survival of the Fittest
    4 Thoughtseize
    Spells [13]
    4 Bayou
    1 Forest (246)
    3 Savannah
    1 Tree of Tales
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    Lands [18]
    SIDEBOARD
    3 Cabal Therapy
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Extirpate
    1 Faerie Macabre
    2 Nature's Claim
    1 Null Rod
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Also few lists of SCG placing lists in Flores article here
    http://archive.wizards.com/magic/mag...g/daily/td/114
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

OMG, screw unbanning SotF if there the only thing you come up with is Vengevine crap....

3x Mother of Runes
    1x Loyal Retainers
    4x Vengevine
    4x Basking Rootwalla
    4x Noble Hierarch
    2x Fauna Shaman
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Qasali Pridemage

3x Green Sun's Zenith
    3x Spell Pierece

4x Wasteland
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Gaea's Cradle
    1x Karakas
    1x Dyrad Arbor
    2x Forest
    3x Misty Rainforest
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Savannah
    2x Tropical Island

Cards like Aburpt Decay don't really matter all that much, they're pretty easy to play around.
    How do you figure? Without a Survival in play this is pretty much a terrible Maverick deck with no removal, mediocre men, no equipment and no ability to actually find Survival. Are you supposed to just hold your Survival until you have 4+ mana, then get it eaten by a Thoughtseize to play around Decay/Daze/Revoker/whatever?

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

3x Mother of Runes
    1x Loyal Retainers
    4x Vengevine
    4x Basking Rootwalla
    4x Noble Hierarch
    2x Fauna Shaman
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Scryb Ranger
    1x Qasali Pridemage

3x Green Sun's Zenith
    3x Spell Pierece

4x Wasteland
    1x Horizon Canopy
    1x Gaea's Cradle
    1x Karakas
    1x Dyrad Arbor
    2x Forest
    3x Misty Rainforest
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Savannah
    2x Tropical Island

After watching most of those videos, I'm not sure that I agree with his analyses. This seems like it's more vulnerable to targeted graveyard hate like DRS or Surgical Extraction (or even Extirpate) than is Reanimator, and if something like Rest in Peace comes down, it's left with a pretty shitty backup aggro plan.

Quote Originally Posted by menace13 View Post
    Gerry T has a ooze list. Although this one is easier to stop the combo with DRS.

2 Basking Rootwalla
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Fauna Shaman
    2 Necrotic Ooze
    4 Noble Hierarch
    1 Phyrexian Devourer
    4 Quirion Ranger
    1 Shield Sphere
    1 Shriekmaw
    1 Triskelion
    4 Vengevine
    1 Wispmare
    Creatures [29]
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Survival of the Fittest
    4 Thoughtseize
    Spells [13]
    4 Bayou
    1 Forest (246)
    3 Savannah
    1 Tree of Tales
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    Lands [18]
    SIDEBOARD
    3 Cabal Therapy
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Extirpate
    1 Faerie Macabre
    2 Nature's Claim
    1 Null Rod
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Also few lists of SCG placing lists in Flores article here
    http://archive.wizards.com/magic/mag...g/daily/td/114
    I...really don't see how this deck being allowed is bad for the metagame. I'm not even sure that it would be the preferred Survival list were Survival unbanned.

So just to clarify - the best lists people have offered are soft to exactly the same hate people have offered up as being capable of keeping Survival in check.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I would look into unburial Rites, LED, Survival, Enlightend Tutor, BGW shell with Griselbrands, Retainers, Jin Gitaxias' and the usual Entomb and Reanimation stuff

Basically Burning Reanimator without Looting and Wish but more creatures, Tutors and Survival.

Maverick is dead to graveyard removal shrinking Goyf and KotR. Survival is the same axis and therefore far from ideal. Of you want to rebuild Survival as an Aggro-combo deck it has to be done without gofy or kotr
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

All of these theorized lists so far look in no way broken, and a big argument that people have made were, "Oh hurr durr if you decay the survival in response they tutor up EWitness to get it back". And Neither of these lists plays that card. All I know is that with my current iteration of Deadguy, I feel decently confident in my ability to be at least 50/50 against these proposed lists of decks that "crush all other fair decks".
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I would look into unburial Rites, LED, Survival, Enlightend Tutor, BGW shell with Griselbrands, Retainers, Jin Gitaxias' and the usual Entomb and Reanimation stuff

Basically Burning Reanimator without Looting and Wish but more creatures, Tutors and Survival.

Maverick is dead to graveyard removal shrinking Goyf and KotR. Survival is the same axis and therefore far from ideal. Of you want to rebuild Survival as an Aggro-combo deck it has to be done without gofy or kotr
    This deck sounds like it REALLY gets hosed by Deathrite shaman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

The biggest issue is that people seemingly haven't noticed that all this (un)banning discussion is pretty much pointless as Wizards has clearly abandoned Legacy long ago.

Well let's just lock this thread then, or maybe you shouldn't click on it?

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Even accepting that Survival could tutor up an answer in response, what's wrong with that? It requires another two turns to get Survival back on the field. E-Witness and Sage are good, yeah, but really slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    The biggest issue is that people seemingly haven't noticed that all this (un)banning discussion is pretty much pointless as Wizards has clearly abandoned Legacy long ago.
    Even if that were the case, it's like a child being abandoned by an abusive parent. Kid's better off.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Even if that were the case, it's like a child being abandoned by an abusive parent. Kid's better off.
    Nah, we're getting all kinds of fun stuff like SnT cheatables, TNN, Judgment and stuff. It's like abandoned except with a poison injector built in and no medical coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    Even accepting that Survival could tutor up an answer in response, what's wrong with that? It requires another two turns to get Survival back on the field. E-Witness and Sage are good, yeah, but really slow.
    You also have to ... you know ... cast the answer for it's mana cost.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    You also have to ... you know ... cast the answer for it's mana cost.
    That was the point of my post. Accepting turn one dork, turn two survival (on the play, leaving mana open), opponent casts Abrupt Decay on their turn two, you get to tutor for Eternal Witness, cast it on the following turn, and then have mana for 1-3 activations, assuming your opponent hasn't once again disputed you. Against something like BUG Delver, you're likely to just get raced at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Thread Information