View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1140 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1406401040109011301136113711381139114011411142114311441150 ... LastLast
Results 22,781 to 22,800 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    So I guess the question now is whether this'll torpedo all the cards. Is eight mana for a Yorion worth a Yorion?

EDIT: And did they kill my beloved Gigan?
    Well to be clear, this isn't 100% of what I said.
    It's to move it from your sideboard to your hand.

So 8 mana Yorion is only if you want to transfer it to your hand and then cast it at once.
    What this really is doing is opening up discard as a viable avenue.

Do you spend the mana early to play Yorion out on turn 5 but risk a cheeky Cabal Therapy? Or like you said wait until the game is already decided before trying to jam his safely from his hidey-hole?

My question is: is this enough to see the others return from banning?
    Seems nobody was playing Lurrus maindeck besides myself, so I'm especially invested in seeing it come off, but not if it's what MODO was those few weeks.
    Zirda seems a bit more dangerous, the deck going infinite seems well suited to have an extra 3 colorless on hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    My question is: is this enough to see the others return from banning?
    Seems nobody was playing Lurrus maindeck besides myself, so I'm especially invested in seeing it come off, but not if it's what MODO was those few weeks.
    Zirda seems a bit more dangerous, the deck going infinite seems well suited to have an extra 3 colorless on hand.
    My thoughts on the change:

Gyruda - makes the deck more vulnerable to disruption (discard) and slows the deck down (either need 9 mana or get it into your hand the turn before). This makes the deck slightly worse but I don't think takes it out of competitiveness.

Zirda - the infinite combos are slightly more expensive but its still a consistent and explosive deck. I can see this remaining banned.

Keruga - These stompy decks were getting buzz from DJ Izma but I feel this change kills them.

Obosh - This change makes Obosh pointless.

Jegentha - I don't think this change effects Lands and RUG running this card - it was a late game play anyway. They spend 3 mana when they have nothing else to do and play it the turn after.

Lurrus - This is the big one - I think you can unban Lurrus now. No more LED into Lurrus, and slows down lurrus a whole turn where paying 3 to do nothing hurts the tempo Lurrus decks thrive on.

Yorion - The other big one. It definitely hurt Yorion decks but these decks play the long game anyway . . . they can afford to pay 3 one turn and the turn after cast Yorion and draw 4.

Kaherra - No creature decks that ran this just in case will probably stil ldo so, but those decks were far in between. Tribal decks will also probably continue to run it, but these tribal decks were never competitive.

Lutri - This change makes Lutri pointless as you can't take advantage of the tempo and even if you were using lutri for the suspend spell shennigans the set up now is too much IMO for Lutri

Umori - Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Some predictions:

1) I don't think the companions are playable now, due to the pure efficiency of Delver and combo decks.
    2) Lurrus and Zirda won't be unbanned, even if my first statement proves correct.
    3) The metagame will change within the next month or so, if Delver can start taking back a bigger share of the metagame.
    4) Blew-stew (Astrolabe + Oko) will now be Public Enemy #1 again.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

May 2015
    PDX

Lutri doesn’t care a huge amount, suspend 4 means you have time for 3 land drops, putting Lutri into hand, then untapping as suspend spell comes off. You’re not actually trying to copy the suspend spell anyways (vs any permission), you want Lutri there to make sure oppos can’t fight the suspend spell on the stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Prescient PirateKing 1U
    Legendary Creature - Pirate King (M)
    When Prescient PirateKing enters the battlefield make a change to the magic rules. That change takes effect next game.
    2/1
    Needs flash and less vulnerability to Stifle.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Someone on reddit brought up that in Yorion decks this rule makes FOW slightly better by giving it another alternative cost:

It used to be either
    - cast force for 0, exile a blue card, pay 1 life
    - pay 3UU when you need to counter something

Now it is
    - cast force for 0, exile a blue card, pay 1 life
    - pay 3 in advance, then counter for free, pay 1 life
    - pay 3UU when you need to counter something

Lunar force now legacy playable!

Jan 2016
    Italy

My thoughts on the change:

Gyruda - makes the deck more vulnerable to disruption (discard) and slows the deck down (either need 9 mana or get it into your hand the turn before). This makes the deck slightly worse but I don't think takes it out of competitiveness.
    Except you can't cast a card that's already in your hand using LED mana.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by talpa View Post
    Except you can't cast a card that's already in your hand using LED mana.
    No, but if you have the 9 mana you can crack however many LEDs before using the "put in hand" ability, and LED can always pay for that ability

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    No, but if you have the 9 mana you can crack however many LEDs before using the "put in hand" ability, and LED can always pay for that ability
    And this is why Lurrus and Zirda stay banned even after the companion fix. The artifact deck can drop their hand, minimizing the effects of LED and continue on their broke AF way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

5-0 results post companion rule change people are still playing companions including this cool Kahera Pox deck https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...20-06-06#jgm_-

Total companion count is:

Yorion: 11
    Lutri: 1
    Keruga: 1
    Jegantha: 1
    Gyruda: 1
    Kaheera: 1

Which is impressive since I thought all but Yorion to be dead.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Total companion count is:

Yorion: 11
    Lutri: 1
    Keruga: 1
    Jegantha: 1
    Gyruda: 1
    Kaheera: 1

Which is impressive since I thought all but Yorion to be dead.
    I think the results demonstrate how much air people actually countenance having in their sideboards.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

List from yesterday shows a much more limited companion showing with only 2 yorion lists and nothing else: https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...alice_th_place

List from yesterday shows a much more limited companion showing with only 2 yorion lists and nothing else: https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...alice_th_place
    Yup, same for the challenge of the 7th:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tourname...2165551#online

Even astrolabe, only at 25%...

Interestingly, with the companions going, the % for brainstorm also went down by almost 20% with brainstorm sitting now at 56%.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    Now, can we somehow fabricate an argument why fetchlands are culturally offensive?

Destroying amazon river for farmland?

Is as bad as sacing misty rainforest for savannah
    Classy...
    Last edited by Secretly.A.Bee; 06-13-2020 at 01:14 AM.

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/st...64682009399296

Punxsutawney Phil came out and said snow will continue to fall.

May 2015
    PDX

Hope ya'll are ready for Uro to drop to a reasonable price. Doubt he's dodging the axe in the truly barbaric lands of no graveyard order.

Edit: bah, maybe next time
    Last edited by Fox; 07-13-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Hope ya'll are ready for Uro to drop to a reasonable price. Doubt he's dodging the axe in the truly barbaric lands of no graveyard order.

Edit: bah, maybe next time
    I want Rest In Priest, so I hope the unfair graveyard trend continues so they will print one...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Legacy was mentioned in the B&R announcement under the Modern section, where Astrolabe was banned. All of the same reasoning for banning Astrolabe in Modern apply to Legacy, but Astrolabe decks haven't reached a win percentage high enough to take action (their words, not mine.)

Here's the text:

Over the past several months of Modern’s metagame, we have seen a rise in popularity and win rate of multicolor decks using Arcum’s Astrolabe, with some variants approaching 55% non-mirror match win rate. While these decks have taken on several different forms, their common game plan is using Arcum’s Astrolabe to play powerful cards across several colors. As a result, Arcum’s Astrolabe has become one of the most played cards in Modern.

While there’s nothing intrinsically bad about multicolor “good stuff” decks having a place in the metagame, their power and flexibility is usually counterbalanced by making concessions in their mana bases, often through lands that enter the battlefield tapped, cost life, or involve some other deckbuilding restriction. Arcum’s Astrolabe makes this tradeoff come at too low of a cost, as one Arcum's Astrolabe can often mean excellent mana for the rest of the game, without costing a card. In addition, Arcum’s Astrolabe leads to other synergy by virtue of being a cheap artifact permanent, and it can be blinked or recurred for card advantage. In short, Arcum’s Astrolabe adds too much to these decks for too little cost, resulting in win rates that are unhealthy and unsustainable for the metagame. Therefore, Arcum’s Astrolabe is banned in Modern.

We’re keeping an eye on Arcum’s Astrolabe in Legacy for similar reasons, although at present the play rates and win rates of Arcum's Astrolabe decks don’t warrant action. We’re aware of concerns among the Legacy community on this point but want to be consistent with our philosophy of only resorting to bans when a card or deck reaches problematic win rates that can’t be solved by natural metagame forces.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Legacy was mentioned in the B&R announcement under the Modern section, where Astrolabe was banned. All of the same reasoning for banning Astrolabe in Modern apply to Legacy, but Astrolabe decks haven't reached a win percentage high enough to take action (their words, not mine.)

Here's the text:
    The way they are dealing with pauper is just another example of how little they think (or not) before acting. Over these past year they tried their best to kill delver decks, there was plenty of people warning that it would only lead to tron becoming a rampant beast. Of course, it did, so here we are now banning pieces of tron. Deck diversity reduces, the format gets dumber by the day, but hey, I bet someone will find a logic in this sequence of actions.

Thread Information