View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 425 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 325375415421422423424425426427428429435475525925 ... LastLast
Results 8,481 to 8,500 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    Is UR Delver going to be on top for long after the meta has adjusted to the fact that it *is* here to stay?

Is it going to be more dominant than RUG Canadian was for awhile?

Both of those things have to be true for WotC to ban something in the next B&R announcement.

The odds are really good that UR Delver isn't even the best list once you take TC and DTT into account. It's just the most obvious one and so people are flooding towards it. If it's getting people to actually buy Volcanics at inflated prices and enter the Legacy meta in the process the store owners will be happy. That's lots of additional sales of various overpriced staples down the road. That's all WotC cares about.

Maybe TC was designed to do exactly that? Put a little cheap thrill out in front of the next generation and see if you can get them to buy $1,000's worth of staples in the process.
    Wizards doesn't give a shit about what price one buys his Volcanics. They want to sell current product.

One of the current trends to counter UR Delver is playing UWR Delver, because you can still run TC, more removal and SFM which gives UR Delver alot of trouble.

But in the end, all you do is switching a few cards to end up with the same core.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Wizards doesn't give a shit about what price one buys his Volcanics. They want to sell current product.
    WotC really wants to keep the store owners happy. They want to keep the online superstores happy. If this wasn't the case we'd have no reserve list, regardless of what WotC had said in the past on the subject. You want to know who the "big collectors" who spoke up for the reserve list idea were when WotC was trying to figure out if breaking the old promise was a good idea or not? They were mostly LLC's and corporations who do a lot of business in the eternal collectible market and who also not coincidentally do a lot of current business with and for WotC.

WotC really wants to keep the store owners happy. They want to keep the online superstores happy. If this wasn't the case we'd have no reserve list, regardless of what WotC had said in the past on the subject. You want to know who the "big collectors" who spoke up for the reserve list idea were when WotC was trying to figure out if breaking the old promise was a good idea or not? They were mostly LLC's and corporations who do a lot of business in the eternal collectible market and who also not coincidentally do a lot of current business with and for WotC.
    Didn't Ben say that SCG was in favor of removing the reserve list when asked by Wizards a few years ago?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by davelin View Post
    Didn't Ben say that SCG was in favor of removing the reserve list when asked by Wizards a few years ago?
    Maybe, maybe not.

He could also be lying since we have no way to tell that he's actually telling us the truth.

Fact is that they make tons of money with Legacy.

I would gladly trade brainstorm for mystical tutor in storm, reanimator, and show and tell. Sure brainstorm is great but mystical tutor is vampiric tutor/completely broken. You weren't getting turn 2 kills in legacy mystical ANT via brainstorm it was all mystical tutor end of turn 1 for ad nauseam or infernal tutor, dump your hand into said card, win. Mystical tutor is obscene as it is actually dark ritual, demonic tutor, yawgmoth's bargain, or a protection spell all at the low cost of minus 1 card in hand and a blue mana. That kind of flexibility is unrivaled in legacy currently. Mystical tutor is never getting unbanned. Compare it to land tax? The power level difference between land tax and mystical tutor is enormous. They are different cards sure but land tax is unplayable in eternal hell I would argue that it would be fine in modern. Mystical is just flatout busted though.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Maybe, maybe not.

He could also be lying since we have no way to tell that he's actually telling us the truth.

Fact is that they make tons of money with Legacy.
    Yes, he was in favor of it. His arguments are (were) very solid. In an already fluctuating market, with the non-reserve list reprints or power creep replacements of older cards, it wouldn't really affect the secondary businesses.
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

Except stores, especially the big ones, are really the ones least affected by a Reserved List retraction. Cards lose value, but their assets are fairly liquid so they're hurt less. As someone explained to me, all they really have to do drop down the buying price while also lowering the selling price and they're surprisingly unaffected by price drops. Buy a card at $40, sell a card at $80, buy a card at $39, sell a card at $79, buy a card at $38, sell a card at $78, and so on.

Not to mention that all those stores still get affected by reprints of non-Reserved List cards in the same way as they'd do with actual Reserved List cards. If they'd lose money if the dual lands all got reprinted, they're still losing that money thanks to the fetchlands and shocklands getting reprinted. Unless they're a store that's actually only selling Reserved List cards, in which case they're probably not much of a store.

The people who would be actually threatened by the removal of the Reserved List aren't stores, and certainly aren't the "online superstores". They're the speculators who buy a bunch of copies of a card and sit on them hoping for a price spike. The Reserved List makes such speculations significantly safer; you know you can stock up on Tundras without fear of a reprint, but something like a Liliana of the Veil is much more dangerous due to the possibility of a reprint.

The amount of product that would move if ABUR dual lands were reprinted in, say, a fall block would be enormous. For you to lose money as a store when you're selling every pack you get in insanely fast would take tons of dual lands/actual thousands as the amount of product you would move would be absolutely insane numbers wise. Not to mention there's no evidence that revised and unlimited duals would drop much. Revised yes I can see a drop. Unlimited taiga is just as hard to find as unlimited black lotus/fairly scarce. FBB's would maintain value in all likelihood. Alpha and beta would go up in value no doubt about it. All of this is a moot point as the list is staying as much as it sucks.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    The amount of product that would move if ABUR dual lands were reprinted in, say, a fall block would be enormous. For you to lose money as a store when you're selling every pack you get in insanely fast would take tons of dual lands/actual thousands as the amount of product you would move would be absolutely insane numbers wise. Not to mention there's no evidence that revised and unlimited duals would drop much. Revised yes I can see a drop. Unlimited taiga is just as hard to find as unlimited black lotus/fairly scarce. FBB's would maintain value in all likelihood. Alpha and beta would go up in value no doubt about it. All of this is a moot point as the list is staying as much as it sucks.
    *not calling you out, just quoting for context

when the company is hurting for money their "values" will get compromised and the reserve list will go away. Business is 1 sided...the best interest of the shareholders. so when the time comes where abolishing the list outweighs keeping it there will be no question about whether or not it stays. The only question that remains is when that time will come?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

I really wonder where we're heading with basically 4x Ancestral Recall legal in the format. The number of UR Delver decks are constantly rising on MTGO, and so does the number of Brainstorm decks (currently 74.26%).

We are certainly approaching slowly but surely a level where something has to be banned.
    That is just stupid.

Brainstorm is far closer to an actual ancestral recall than Treasure Cruise is.

Brainstorm is the by far stronger card. Treasure Cruise is not banworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ritual View Post
    I would gladly trade brainstorm for mystical tutor in storm, reanimator, and show and tell. Sure brainstorm is great but mystical tutor is vampiric tutor/completely broken. You weren't getting turn 2 kills in legacy mystical ANT via brainstorm it was all mystical tutor end of turn 1 for ad nauseam or infernal tutor, dump your hand into said card, win. Mystical tutor is obscene as it is actually dark ritual, demonic tutor, yawgmoth's bargain, or a protection spell all at the low cost of minus 1 card in hand and a blue mana. That kind of flexibility is unrivaled in legacy currently. Mystical tutor is never getting unbanned. Compare it to land tax? The power level difference between land tax and mystical tutor is enormous. They are different cards sure but land tax is unplayable in eternal hell I would argue that it would be fine in modern. Mystical is just flatout busted though.

The read it again... how is it possible you do not know what are you talking about?.. Storm is the best BS deck but would be far from being the best Mystical Deck... do your homeworks and build it, or build a current AnT with Mystical tutor, legacy is much different than in 2010 and current for of Ant superior to that of 2010, you would not even play 4 Mysticals if it was unbanned

damn I really should not open this thread

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

So with the release of Commander 2014, will there be an update on the B&R list for Legacy/Vintage the monday after? I wasn't able to find the next date while searching the new WotC site.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizzlemanizzle View Post
    Brainstorm is far closer to an actual ancestral recall than Treasure Cruise is.
    I was about to explain how the format was reasonably diverse and balanced before Treasure Cruise was printed and became dominated by Miracles and Delver - mainly U/R - after that, which does suggest that Treasure Cruise may the problem card, and that banning it might lead to a diverse metagame again. And that drawing 3 really is much better than drawing 3 then putting back 2. But the quoted statement struck me as so funny that I will just say:

Only if you aren't playing on camera.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    when the company is hurting for money their "values" will get compromised and the reserve list will go away. Business is 1 sided...the best interest of the shareholders. so when the time comes where abolishing the list outweighs keeping it there will be no question about whether or not it stays. The only question that remains is when that time will come?
    I've said for a few years now that the failure of Standard will be the redemption of Legacy and Vintage. Fight the good fight and convert kids over from Standard and eventually we will have our reprints. The question is, to me, not if this happens, but, do they essentially kill the game trying not to do it. This is, however, the wrong thread to discuss these kinds of things though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    the format was reasonably diverse and balanced before Treasure Cruise was printed
    Hilarious

Edit: I think the problem here is that you and I have different definitions of diverse. When I see a top 8 like this:

BUG Delver
    RUG Delver
    Miracles
    Miracles
    Reanimator
    Deathblade
    Shardless
    Elves

I don't think "What a diverse meta". I think "Holy crap, 7/8 decks share 8 of the exact cards".

Edit 2:

One more thought on the mystical tutor topic. I could be wrong and enough people seem to disagree to think that.

I think you guys are glossing over how large of a loss BS would be. Delver would flood out. Show and tell would have multiple business spells with no fatty and no way to put them back. The magic Christmas land miracle decks would have no way to put 5/6/7 mana spells back into their deck.

And mystical was legal with BS in storm for a long time and by most accounts the ban was unwarranted. The only thing that has changed since then is probe and past in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by testing32 View Post
    I don't think "What a diverse meta". I think "Holy crap, 7/8 decks share 8 of the exact cards".
    Yes, but of these 7, 2 are tempo, 2 are control, 1 is combo and 2 are dissimilar midrange decks. Playing in such a metagame would reward experience, knowledge of the format, and good play, rather than just picking the "best" deck. It shouldn't be monotonous. And on average the metagame was actually less homogeneous and blue-heavy than that, see the top-8/16 metagame breakdown at tcdecks:
    http://tcdecks.net/metagame.php?form...y&fecha=2014-9

I mean, of course it would be nice if the metagame would be less blue-centric, but I don't see it as the biggest problem right now.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I think you guys are glossing over how large of a loss BS would be. Delver would flood out. Show and tell would have multiple business spells with no fatty and no way to put them back. The magic Christmas land miracle decks would have no way to put 5/6/7 mana spells back into their deck.

And mystical was legal with BS in storm for a long time and by most accounts the ban was unwarranted. The only thing that has changed since then is probe and past in flames.
    The printing of Gitaxian Probe was huge in terms of how the card would interact with Mystical Tutor. For a blue mana and 2 lifepoints you have a Demonic Tutor and the interaction also works with Past in Flames in the exact same way.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    I was about to explain how the format was reasonably diverse and balanced before Treasure Cruise was printed and became dominated by Miracles and Delver - mainly U/R - after that, which does suggest that Treasure Cruise may the problem card, and that banning it might lead to a diverse metagame again. And that drawing 3 really is much better than drawing 3 then putting back 2. But the quoted statement struck me as so funny that I will just say:

Only if you aren't playing on camera.
    ahahahhaha

The diversity of the format is unchanged since Treasure Cruise. It has not changed the slightest.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I don't think "What a diverse meta". I think "Holy crap, 7/8 decks share 8 of the exact cards"
    Look, ALL of them are playing lands. That's not very diverse, is it?

How is that even relevant when you have several completly different strategies present? It's like looking at a game of football and saying that the game is boring because all of them are playing with with a striker.

Diversity is not about the cards you see, why would it be? Diversity is about how much your mind is challenged.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Yeah, "blue tempo decks are really fucking good" is not exactly a new thing in this format.

Beyond that, "decks that play brainstorm are overwhelmingly favored to win stuff" is also not exactly new.
    Nowhere do you see: Efficient Answers to Other Cards. Force and MMS will never be banned. Deal.
    Bardo, Site Admin

Thread Information