View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1057 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 5755795710071047105310541055105610571058105910601061106711071157 ... LastLast
Results 21,121 to 21,140 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: All B/R update speculation.

I personally really hate top just because it feels like a really sloppy design. I wouldn't mind if they made a fixed version. I'm not sure what exactly that would entail, but having a 0 Mana way to protect itself probably is too good
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I personally really hate top just because it feels like a really sloppy design. I wouldn't mind if they made a fixed version. I'm not sure what exactly that would entail, but having a 0 Mana way to protect itself probably is too good
    Fixed version:
    Fixed top

,Tap: look at the top 2 cards. Put them back in any order
    ,Tap: draw a card, put Fixed Top on top
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jul 2013
    Texas

speaking of Nedleeds, I saw on Twitter that his LGS is swapping Legacy out for hyperextended.

I also heard of another LGS owner who is concerned that their local legacy scene is "stale."

And yet another player told me that their local legacy events are struggling to fire suddenly. (Though that may be seasonally related)

All of these stores are in different time zones. These aren't isolated issues.

Well, at least we can get excited about our Legacy GP on freaking Easter/Passover.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    I also heard of another LGS owner who is concerned that their local legacy scene is "stale."

And yet another player told me that their local legacy events are struggling to fire suddenly. (Though that may be seasonally related).
    This is what's happened to me. (Also health making it so I have to really want it in order to leave the house)

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    Legacy players are slow players
    Fixed ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

speaking of Nedleeds, I saw on Twitter that his LGS is swapping Legacy out for hyperextended.

And yet another player told me that their local legacy events are struggling to fire suddenly. (Though that may be seasonally related)

All of these stores are in different time zones. These aren't isolated issues.

Well, at least we can get excited about our Legacy GP on freaking Easter/Passover.
    Yes. Next Thursday instead of legacy we will be doing hyper extended. I don't get out to legacy every week, but the past few times I've gone we've gotten right around 8.
    I think weeks I haven't gone they just haven't fired often.
    Last hyper extended event we did we got I believe around 26? I think a combination of legacy being stale for older players and newer players being priced out is what is wrong at least as far as our LGS. We did a 30 proxy legacy monthly the weekend after Christmas and got almost 30 people with only 5 or so being regular local legacy players. That shows to me that people have interest it just isn't feasible financially. If the reserve list sticks around I think proxy events will become the norm soon.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Yes. Next Thursday instead of legacy we will be doing hyper extended. I don't get out to legacy every week, but the past few times I've gone we've gotten right around 8.
    I think weeks I haven't gone they just haven't fired often.
    Last hyper extended event we did we got I believe around 26? I think a combination of legacy being stale for older players and newer players being priced out is what is wrong at least as far as our LGS. We did a 30 proxy legacy monthly the weekend after Christmas and got almost 30 people with only 5 or so being regular local legacy players. That shows to me that people have interest it just isn't feasible financially. If the reserve list sticks around I think proxy events will become the norm soon.
    That's interesting. Still, there should be enough players to run both Legacy and Hextended in that market, no?

The fact that people are making the choice not to play Legacy reflects poorly on the format. And we're seeing it here, too, thousands of miles away. A couple people have sold cards but mostly people are just like "whatever" and doing other stuff. (In fact, I lent a deck to a player who sold his cards last year because he actually wanted to play a couple weeks ago)

I often wonder if more proxy tournaments will encourage more or less innovation. On one hand people can access the $5000 top-tier decks, on the other, it makes it easier to move stuff around. Right now though, I don't think it's a matter of people not wanting to innovate -- just that most innovations are swingy/DOA.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

That's interesting. Still, there should be enough players to run both Legacy and Hextended in that market, no?

The fact that people are making the choice not to play Legacy reflects poorly on the format. And we're seeing it here, too, thousands of miles away. A couple people have sold cards but mostly people are just like "whatever" and doing other stuff. (In fact, I lent a deck to a player who sold his cards last year because he actually wanted to play a couple weeks ago)

I often wonder if more proxy tournaments will encourage more or less innovation. On one hand people can access the $5000 top-tier decks, on the other, it makes it easier to move stuff around. Right now though, I don't think it's a matter of people not wanting to innovate -- just that most innovations are swingy/DOA.
    The format has gotten to a point in efficiency that innovation is either impossible or very very difficult. Our 26 man 30 proxy event I think a BUG Explorer Rock variant, an enchantress player, and me on Steel Stompy were the only sort of outliers in the room. Most everyone else was on DnT, Belcher, Moon Stompy, UW Control of some sort and Depths.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I have experienced the opposite locally; there is a burgeoning scene that allows for legacy twice a week, 3 times if they are willing to travel to a different shop. We average between 12-15 at the weeklies with a decent cross-section of decks. Oddly, Lands is overrepresented locally with 3-4 players regularly in the mix playing that deck at larger events.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by taconaut View Post
    This is the "wallpapering" Kap'n Cook was talking about.

Tournaments still have rounds that go to time even with Top gone - slow players are slow players, it's not about the card itself. All it takes is one match going long for the round for everyone to have to wait.
    That's true.

However, Sensei's Divining Top makes it a whole lot more likely and makes it so that the matches that do go to time last longer.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Again, when it comes to top it was not about that card itself, it was about banning one card in the place of having to ban two. You can disagree that if CB or Terminus ate it that the other could have gone untouched, but WOTC was not going to test the waters and go again. The optics of that is just shit for them. So they take out the card that enables the others and moves on with their lives.

We here even thought it had worked for a while, then the deck came back. Dam its resilient.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

It is quite likely we, eventually, will see top unbanned. After all the reason for the ban was miracles, and that is deck is not dead in any way.
    Given wizards tendency of printing abusable cards I expect the deck to climb back to the top sooner or later.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    It is quite likely we, eventually, will see top unbanned. After all the reason for the ban was miracles, and that is deck is not dead in any way.
    Given wizards tendency of printing abusable cards I expect the deck to climb back to the top sooner or later.
    Wait your reasoning for top being unbanned is "Miracles is really good without the best card in the deck so it's fine if we give them the best card again"?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Yeah it's almost like a card that costs whose theoretical ceiling [by itself] is counter every spell your opponent has, was the culprit all along.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

can i just say i'm super happy probe is banned after seeing all these phoenix decks get attention?
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I agree, probe would have become an even bigger problem. Regarding Miracles, I have come around to the conclusion that Top was the correct ban. I thought originally that Terminus was the culprit, but I don't think so. Looking at Miracles now it is a good deck, tier 1 even, but nowhere near as dominant as when Top was legal. If it gets there again then the conclusion should be 'ban another card, it's still too good'. I doubt this will happen, but it's possible I guess.

The B&R announcement will be coming in the first of February right, when Allegiance is released? No changes again?
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    However, Sensei's Divining Top makes it a whole lot more likely and makes it so that the matches that do go to time last longer.
    I mean, that's possible, but I think the dominant factor in round length is "Odds that a game has gone to time," not, "time required once in rounds." With a deck like Eggs that actually requires a potentially very large number of actions, "time required" might be a relevant consideration, but I am still doubtful.

I think the "Odds that a game has gone to time" are still very close to 1 for large events; top being gone hasn't really changed it much. When you have that many players, it's just going to happen. I feel like I've seen just as many Lands/Stoneblade/Aluren/etc decks after the buzzer as I have Miracles decks, but nobody seems to want to ban loam or SFM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    can i just say i'm super happy probe is banned after seeing all these phoenix decks get attention?

I get that Probe would be bananas in that deck, but this still bums me out. Probe did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I agree, probe would have become an even bigger problem. Regarding Miracles, I have come around to the conclusion that Top was the correct ban. I thought originally that Terminus was the culprit, but I don't think so. Looking at Miracles now it is a good deck, tier 1 even, but nowhere near as dominant as when Top was legal. If it gets there again then the conclusion should be 'ban another card, it's still too good'. I doubt this will happen, but it's possible I guess.

The B&R announcement will be coming in the first of February right, when Allegiance is released? No changes again?
    Honestly, it's sad on one end because terminus is pretty much the only true sweeper playable in the format (both verdict and deluge are a joke), and it felt pretty good to play a real control deck fully enabled.

On the other hand miracle was absolutely disgusting, while playing the deck I truly felt pretty much unbeatable and most of the times the game was over on turn 2 because there was no chance your opponent could do anything relevant past that, mostly because you were playing the best answers to everything + infinite manipulation.
    In my entire experience playing this game I never felt a deck was that good, it was the closest thing to a real tier 0 I ever experienced in eternal, and I played basicly every single deck in legacy and most decks in vintage.

I can't see how people can deny that, while playing miracles, pretty much half of the meta was a free win, the other half was mostly 50/50 at worst and you had like 1 or 2 relevant bad MUs (which were like 40/60 against omnitell, 40/60 against small eldrazi and 20/80 against big eldrazi pretty much).

The main reason why the deck was that good was top, playing the entire game with constant manipulation and being able to sweep instant speed was enough to beat most of the decks already, the solution was either remove terminus, which would have made the deck unplayable entirely (again, verdict is a joke, you cant rely on that so you have to move to a more midrange solution such as blade or play a 4 mentor + another board presence card list) or remove top.

The fact that the deck is still a tier 1 even with its core card removed should be enough to prove how insane it used to be, and asking for a top unban is ridicoluos.
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

the only deck as good as miracles with top was probably necro donate in old extended. glad to see it gone!
    -rob

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    Honestly, it's sad on one end because terminus is pretty much the only true sweeper playable in the format (both verdict and deluge are a joke), and it felt pretty good to play a real control deck fully enabled.

On the other hand miracle was absolutely disgusting, while playing the deck I truly felt pretty much unbeatable and most of the times the game was over on turn 2 because there was no chance your opponent could do anything relevant past that, mostly because you were playing the best answers to everything + infinite manipulation.
    In my entire experience playing this game I never felt a deck was that good, it was the closest thing to a real tier 0 I ever experienced in eternal, and I played basicly every single deck in legacy and most decks in vintage.

I can't see how people can deny that, while playing miracles, pretty much half of the meta was a free win, the other half was mostly 50/50 at worst and you had like 1 or 2 relevant bad MUs (which were like 40/60 against omnitell, 40/60 against small eldrazi and 20/80 against big eldrazi pretty much).

The main reason why the deck was that good was top, playing the entire game with constant manipulation and being able to sweep instant speed was enough to beat most of the decks already, the solution was either remove terminus, which would have made the deck unplayable entirely (again, verdict is a joke, you cant rely on that so you have to move to a more midrange solution such as blade or play a 4 mentor + another board presence card list) or remove top.

The fact that the deck is still a tier 1 even with its core card removed should be enough to prove how insane it used to be, and asking for a top unban is ridicoluos.
    Verdict and Deluge are a joke compared to Terminus, but they would be the best sweepers if Terminus didn't exist. At the least Deluge is mana efficient at 3 mana and Verdict is uncounterable, both big upsides compared to Wrath of God. However, if Terminus didn't exist isn't it natural to just play 4x Snapcaster and 1+ Path to Exile? Who needs a wrath when you can play 10 copies of the best spot removal. Snapcaster is the real deal.

I share in your melancholy about not having a legitimate control deck that isn't too good {EDit} with top in the format. It would be great to have a super-charged control deck like Top Miracles without it being too good. I would love to have a real agro deck back in the format like Zoo, but that ship has sailed as well. The closest thing to true agro now are the Delver variants.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information