View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1069 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 6956996910191059106510661067106810691070107110721073107911191169 ... LastLast
Results 21,361 to 21,380 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Stop looking at my shiny purple helmet...
    Apr 2008
    London UK

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit_druid View Post
    My prediction:

Hermit Druid unbanned

Chalice of the Void players banned by DCI
    Ohh, the salty bittersweet taste of Nerdrage Tears (that's the new name for my Vanilla Ice tribute act btw)...

No changes doesn't surprise me. Legacy has just settled down from the previous bannings, Vintage seems to be adapting to Paradoxical Outcome (the new U/W Legend seems to be helping) and Modern, well, who really cares?
    "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by hermit_druid View Post
    My prediction:
    Chalice of the Void players banned by DCI
    We deserve it almost as much as brainstorm TBH

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

nothing on faithless looting in modern :( at least they could have said what was their intentions in the future for that card (nothing / watchlist / ...)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    nothing on faithless looting in modern :( at least they could have said what was their intentions in the future for that card (nothing / watchlist / ...)
    They did a comment on that.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Announcement is on 5/20, any predictions?

Faithless Looting was heavily under the radar for Modern, but I think Phoenix and Dredge decks have dropped considerably since the last announcement. They are both still popular decks but the meta-share of Phoenix is dropping to a safe level I think. The London mulligan test in, um, London, resulted in Humans taking 3/8 slots, Tron 2/8, with Phoenix, Valakut, and Affinity rounding out t8. I think the decision will be that the new London mulligan takes effect at the 5/20 announcement, effective for the upcoming MC.

I'm still very skeptical of what the London mulligan will do for Legacy. While I don't think the sky is falling I think the format will take on a different identity, and I'm not looking forward to playing against Chalice decks multiple rounds in every tournament. It's a little ironic that the goal of change is prevent non-games but in Legacy it will make non-game decks like Moon Stompy more prevalent, thereby making more non-games. Limited, Standard, even Modern, have at it. Once you hit Legacy/Vintage I think there will be a significant impact that won't be quite so positive.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I've played north of a hundred matches since the London Mulligan hit MTGO. Chalice is still not that common (anecdotal, I know). The decks that "abuse" the London Mulligan best might get a slight bump in game one, but almost all of these decks lose so many points games 2 and 3 that really the overall difference in performance is quite small.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

So we have BS, Ponder, Surgical in more than 50% of the decks.
    And the new Muligan rule will favor Combo and Xerox decks.

If CotV will be more played than usually Decay will make a come back.

Time will tell.

I think thalia/non-combo thoughtseize decks will be hit worst long term. It will be so easy to t1 combo or t1 chalice that you'll need to be on those plans or fow. Not sure on how it will affect bans...
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

By the way, does anyone know why frantic search is banned? I can’t figure out, outside of high tide decks, why it’s banned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    By the way, does anyone know why frantic search is banned? I can’t figure out, outside of high tide decks, why it’s banned.

Because it's free.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

IIRC, Frantic Search was never Legacy legal, so the answer is "because it was restricted in Vintage at the time Legacy was created as a format."

As to why it's still banned though, well, I'd guess it is that no one at Wizards sees much value in unbanning it.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Says the guy with Reset as his avatar lol :)

I believe Karn, the Great Creator will be the next card to hit the banlist in Legacy and Modern, and the restricted list in Vintage.

Card is straight busted in every constructed format except Standard...
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Several of the other cards in the ban list are ostensibly only usable in one kind of deck. What kind of deck does Flash get used in?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Several of the other cards in the ban list are ostensibly only usable in one kind of deck. What kind of deck does Flash get used in?
    It sees fringe play in Nourishing Lich as a way to make 3 5/5 tokens EOT with Worldspine Wurm

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

They just haven't gotten around to unbanning it. It's not nearly enough to make high tide good again. Earthcraft is banned for the same reason.

Sep 2011

Gitaxian Probe is banned and you ask about this? Free spells are good. Free spells that can net extra mana or enable graveyard tricks are even better. It's banned in Pauper too.

Originally (birth of Legacy), it was banned for being too good in combo: High Tide, Academy, Storm, Reanimator, Replenish... Now there's just no fair reason to unban it. It would do nothing to improve the health of the format or open design space for fair decks.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Honestly haven't played much legacy, but the format seems to be stable if not straight up boring right now. Don't think anything needs to be banned right now although the normal shit like BS is still clearly busted. I still don't see why we don't get an unban on something bad. What was the last card that got unbanned that has had any impact at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    What was the last card that got unbanned that has had any impact at all?
    Depends on what "any impact" means, but I think the last really influential unban was Entomb in 2009.

2010 saw Grim Monolith, Illusionary Mask and Time Spiral unbanned but Monolith and Spiral are only fringe playables. 2012 saw Land Tax unbanned, to no impact. 2015 saw Worldgorger Dragon and Black Vise unbanned, to no impact.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Depends on what "any impact" means, but I think the last really influential unban was Entomb in 2009.

2010 saw Grim Monolith, Illusionary Mask and Time Spiral unbanned but Monolith and Spiral are only fringe playables. 2012 saw Land Tax unbanned, to no impact. 2015 saw Worldgorger Dragon and Black Vise unbanned, to no impact.
    Monolith and Time Spiral count in my eyes. I feel like entomb is still even arguable power level wise, but I guess my thought is, are frantic search, Goblin recruiter, or earthcraft going to make the format worse than entomb? Like would they have as large as impact?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information