View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 630 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1305305806206266276286296306316326336346406807301130 ... LastLast
Results 12,581 to 12,600 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    What you are saying is that the density of cantrip decks is going to kill the game? This is pure conjecture based on assumptions about the personal tastes of the player base. My assumption is that if the dozen or so whiners on the internet were all to quit (and each convinced a friend to quit too), Legacy would go just as strong.
    I'm sure you're wrong on this matter, man, as if 1+1 ppl did quit only thanks to me, then the average turnout in our lgs would go down by 20%. Kekeke.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

So basically:

every other card that was banned in the history of the format , had a lower penetration or representation than any of the cantrip cartel. This means that logically following one of those cards should go but:

1 wotc don't care anymore and want to promote modern and kill legacy
    2 wotc don't think banning BS or Ponder/Preordain would help the format nor they think that cards being overrepresented is a bad thing anymore

If point 1, ok, we can't do much. WotC will kill the format amen

If point 2, can we have some of the cards that were banned back? At least this would create alternative pillars for the format that aren't the cantrip cartel. Inaction seems just lazy at this point. The format has been 75%+ cantrip carteled for what, an year and an half now? For a format with 4k+ cards in it, this look pretty sad. Having alternative pillars (mostly SotF because it can't go in a cantrip shell, possibly more combo enablers like Jar, Bargain, F.Search) would at least mean that while the format would still be vastly predictable and dominated by said pillars, at least they wouldn't all play largely the same.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    If wotc don't care why even have the format? Do you realize how stupid that argument is right?

Why do anything you die anyway
    And please, don't ever PM me again.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

bruizar

So basically:
    We've seen it in Vintage.

At some point, Brainstorm will be banned, alongside Ponder and all the other cantrips and people will stop playing legacy all together. History repeats

So basically:

every other card that was banned in the history of the format , had a lower penetration or representation than any of the cantrip cartel. This means that logically following one of those cards should go but:

2 wotc don't think banning BS or Ponder/Preordain would help the format nor they think that cards being overrepresented is a bad thing anymore
    3 card representation is not the only factor which determines that a card gets banned.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    To have a different view or opinion is childish illusion now? Bringing back ten years old metagame from the dawn of format qualifies as an argument now? DTT turned the very really much healthy format into the one where you only choose the kill conditions? are your arguments boil down to hyperboles again?
    its a childish illusion that Legacy was ever color-balanced and rooting arguments about the format being unhealthy on color balance.

Its funny that you claim the format was fine before DTT, despite you whinning about how unfun and unhealthy the format is since 2013.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Crimhead: I am just saying that when a card is played by almost every deck it should be banned, and i think that's elementary. You say that penetration is not the only reason to ban a card, but i think it should be the most important reason. i don't think there will ever be a format that wizards care about (say modern), where 70% decks play a card.

Lemnear: legacy was never color balanced, but now is worse than ever and it is just natural because the more good cards get printed, the more cantrips become good to find stuff. I think it should be in the interests of every legacy player to see what happens when you can't play brainstorm anymore.

In the end we will never agree because we have diametrically different perspectives. I consider the format in a vacuum, see that everyone plays brainstorm and i'm astonished by the fact that it is still legal. You consider the format through the lenses of legacy's history as a "blue format" and you are totally fine with almost all decks being blue and playing brainstorm because you consider their strategies different, i suppose you wouldn't be worried even if 100% decks played blue and elves , death and taxes and other fringe decks wouldn't exist.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Do you really think that people simply say "I'm going to play brainstorm, ponder, probes, and digs because I'm worried I'll have to play against belcher!" No. They play those cards because at this point it isfairly evident that playing those cards are the way to Give yourself the best shot at winning by reducing variance. Nobody at this point in time is playing these decks because they are worried about a fringe budget combo deck, and if they were things like mindbreak trap would be much more popular
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    its a childish illusion that Legacy was ever color-balanced and rooting arguments about the format being unhealthy on color balance.

Its funny that you claim the format was fine before DTT, despite you whinning about how unfun and unhealthy the format is since 2013.
    Do you even read what the other people write? I don't give a fuck about color of Brainstorm decks, calling those decks blue is just an easy and short way how to distinguish them, do you get it or do you need to read it thousand times? For what is worth, the metagame might be as white as NSDAP congress, as long as it won't be the ever the same bunch of cantrips-into-cantrips piles that all play the same, suck the same.
    Wasn't that you who was fine with the inbred boring predictable metagame gameplay until you miraculously changed your mind due to DTT? Like if the card changed anything about an overall shape of the format...

Why don't you simply accept that Legacy was never about color diversity and be fine with a metagame of "six of 24-of-the-same-cards decks"?

Btw, your posts are completely unconstructive, and I'm going to ignore them. Trying to answer them is a mere waste of time, which I could have spent by writing about thos aspects of today's Legacy that are interesting and important to me, esp. considering the few words I got to say about the great minds of format like Finn or Michael Keller, who seem to be the very last people who're trying to dive for something new and thrilling in the Legacy pool.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Legacy of is starting to look like Vintage in its "Play the power or play an answer" style format. The fact that in Vintage that can not be helped and in Legacy it can is the issue at heart, not the colour of the cards in question.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    Lemnear: legacy was never color balanced, but now is worse than ever and it is just natural because the more good cards get printed, the more cantrips become good to find stuff. I think it should be in the interests of every legacy player to see what happens when you can't play brainstorm anymore.
    Except this isn't true at all. The Penetration of blue decks or to me more precise, decks which run Brainstorm, dropped to 71% from the all-time high of 82% during the DTT outbreak and the TC era thanks to the strong performances of lands, loam and the like.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Do you even read what the other people write? I don't give a fuck about color of Brainstorm decks, calling those decks blue is just an easy and short way how to distinguish them, do you get it or do you need to read it thousand times?
    I read you rants for years now and I don't care about you name-of-the-day for your matter of complaint. You used the term "blue decks" as well as your synonym for cantrip.dec so don't even try to deny that.

For what is worth, the metagame might be as white as NSDAP congress, as long as it won't be the ever the same bunch of cantrips-into-cantrips piles that all play the same, suck the same.
    That's why you quitted and kept ranting about the metagame in a hypothetical base...

Wasn't that you who was fine with the inbred boring predictable metagame gameplay until you miraculously changed your mind due to DTT? Like if the card changed anything about an overall shape of the format...
    Do YOU read what I wrote? Obviously not.

Why don't you simply accept that Legacy was never about color diversity and be fine with a metagame of "six of 24-of-the-same-cards decks"?
    Show me these different decks/strategies.

Btw, your posts are completely unconstructive, and I'm going to ignore them. Trying to answer them is a mere waste of time, which I could have spent by writing about thos aspects of today's Legacy that are interesting and important to me, esp. considering the few words I got to say about the great minds of format like Finn or Michael Keller, who seem to be the very last people who're trying to dive for something new and thrilling in the Legacy pool.
    Yeah, go write about the people who actually innovate and try to fight the metagame and don't follow your example of swimming with the stream for a while and ragequitting the format because you don't like it despite keeping to complain. Props to people holding up against the blue mainstream #NoSarcasm

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Do you really think that people simply say "I'm going to play brainstorm, ponder, probes, and digs because I'm worried I'll have to play against belcher!" No.
    Yes.

Crimhead: I am just saying that when a card is played by almost every deck it should be banned, and i think that's elementary. You say that penetration is not the only reason to ban a card, but i think it should be the most important reason.
    Not everyone thinks that. Some people care more about strategic diversity than card penetration. Some people think Legacy is sufficiently diverse - others do not. This is all about opinions and tastes, to think otherwise is deceiving yourself.

i don't think there will ever be a format that wizards care about (say modern), where 70% decks play a card.
    Or... they do care about Legacy (obviously less so than Modern) but they think the Brainstrom density is not symptomatic of an unhealthy format (not a novel concept - many players feel the same).

Make your assumptions, but don't expect me to accept them as fact. What's factual is that WotC are not managing the format they way you (and others) think they should be. This is not evidence that they do not care.

Just leaving these numbers here for you. Data is parsed out of the Tierdecks-data of TCDecks: http://tcdecks.net/tierdecks.php
    Once I find some time, I will also parse the meta-game-data ( http://tcdecks.net/metagame.php?format=Legacy ) to see if it matches up.

date Blue Rest + Merfolk
    1/01/2013 62,39967897 37,60032103
    1/02/2013 60 40
    1/03/2013 63,7431694 36,2568306
    1/04/2013 59,63855422 40,36144578
    1/05/2013 63,83191596 36,16808404
    1/06/2013 64,50160772 35,49839228
    1/07/2013 70,37928958 29,62071042
    1/08/2013 57,88561525 42,11438475
    1/09/2013 61,32872504 38,67127496
    1/10/2013 59,88599929 40,11400071
    1/11/2013 64,73202614 35,26797386
    1/12/2013 67,52110034 32,47889966
    1/01/2014 64,23886779 35,76113221
    1/02/2014 68,55432781 31,44567219
    1/03/2014 63,98899587 36,01100413
    1/04/2014 64,83116883 35,16883117
    1/05/2014 61,7167382 38,2832618
    1/06/2014 68,97727273 31,02272727
    1/07/2014 65,64516129 34,35483871
    1/08/2014 64,40382942 35,59617058
    1/09/2014 62,73653566 37,26346434
    1/10/2014 71,93958665 28,06041335
    1/11/2014 67,63636364 32,36363636
    1/12/2014 72,20606564 27,79393436
    1/01/2015 70,05649718 29,94350282
    1/02/2015 65,80624602 34,19375398
    1/03/2015 70,33979041 29,66020959
    1/04/2015 72,50384025 27,49615975
    1/05/2015 76,37474542 23,62525458
    1/06/2015 73,35375191 26,64624809

Someone should email this to Wizards and demand something to be done. This trend looks disgusting.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Agreed, 26% nonblue is frankly too high for my tastes
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Nielsie View Post
    Data Table
    It's interesting how the rantings of the pro-blue crowd are so easily disprovable with a simple data table. This argument has basically turned into politics at some point - it's ideology without any real basis in facts, and thus is capable of ignoring facts when they are presented. I wonder what it would take for blue to crack 80% - perhaps a stupid new printing, which (knowing WOTC) isn't more than one or two sets away.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Nov 2004
    Missouri

I wouldn't call myself pro-blue, but I am pro-Brainstorm. I'd rather see Ponder, Preordain, Dig Through Time, heck even Gitaxian Probe receive the hammer before Brainstorm.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    It's interesting how the rantings of the pro-blue crowd are so easily disprovable with a simple data table.
    Yo, science bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoojo View Post
    I wouldn't call myself pro-blue, but I am pro-Brainstorm. I'd rather see Ponder, Preordain, Dig Through Time, heck even Gitaxian Probe receive the hammer before Brainstorm.
    Agreed. Also Delver. Because it's just too easy to play all the best cards in the other 4 colors plus have the blue shell with the most efficient threat (which also happens to be in-color).

Edit: Didn't want to double post so some additional thoughts.
    To be honest those statistics are fucked up. I haven't played Legacy in over 12 months because frankly I think it sucks. But my personal opinion is, Legacy is the format of old, powerful and elegant cards. So if the format is fucked up, the banlist should protect the legacy of the game (pun intended) as much as the balance of the format and get rid of all of the newly printed, power creeped bullshit. I'd rather play a format where things like Survival and Necro are unbanned but bullshit from the new era like Omniscience, Delver, TNN etc. are banned. And also the sorcery speed cantrips. I find instant speed stack interaction fun and the game mechanics of the old cards amazing. So I'd rather see a controversial rehaul of the B&R list than to see simple Brainstorm gone. That is all imo, because that's my opinion of the game.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Thread Information