View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1084 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 845849841034107410801081108210831084108510861087108810941134 ... LastLast
Results 21,661 to 21,680 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    So Gaak axed, and Karn Karntrolled?
    Standard: Rampaging Ferocidon unbanned
    Modern
    Hogaak, banned
    Faithless looting Banned
    Stoneforge - UNBANNED

Vintage
    new karn - restricted
    Mystic Forge restricted
    Mental misstep restricted
    GGT restricted
    Fastbong is UN-restricted. Effective 8/30, magic online effective noon today, PT, arena effective 9/4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Guys, Modern is getting stone forge!
    Now they too can make a worse UW deck, losing access to wraths.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Magic card market doesn't work anymore when i try to access stoneforge mystic's page :)
    So people seriously think this is a hot new tech that will win tournaments, caw blade style?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by simdude View Post
    Big shakeups in Modern and Vintage and as usual radio silence with legacy. Vintage receives far more attention as a format which is honestly mind-boggling.

>War of the Spark, Modern Horizons, and Core Set 2020 have been among the most impactful sets for Vintage in years.

Could easily apply to Legacy as well but they seem to forget the format exists.
    I feel just the opposite is actually the fact of the matter. Legacy is in a relatively "good" place, people are playing it and there aren't any "obvious" actions that need to be taken.

People's individual subjected feelings though? Everyone's got a boatload of those.

Vintage was in a place where almost everyone who did play it Online was just not any more. They had to do something. Legacy is fine and in a fine place.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

I'm baffled that Looting was banned. I don't follow Modern, but in what kind of format is a card as innocuous as Looting worthy of a ban? Is Modern even a real format?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Magic card market doesn't work anymore when i try to access stoneforge mystic's page :)
    So people seriously think this is a hot new tech that will win tournaments, caw blade style?
    Not really. I mean, I'm sure some people want them to play with them, but likely most of the people jumping on them right now are out the make some "fast-cash" on the spec.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    I'm baffled that Looting was banned. I don't follow Modern, but in what kind of format is a card as innocuous as Looting worthy of a ban? Is Modern even a real format?
    Modern derives most of its value from GY synergy, and it’s an incredibly linear format. When you have no risk of meaningful interaction (FoW/Wasteland/Daze), Looting becomes an easy and safe pseudo-ramp/mana enabler. Honestly with this banned, they could have probably left Hogaak alone.

Recognizing cards as secretly being mana engines explains this ban. It’s a good ban, and next on the chopping block is going to be Mox Opal (maybe this card already is banned; don’t really keep up with modern other than it’s ability to screw up card prices).

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Looting was stupid in Modern. It was a good, long overdue ban.

I'm more baffled by the SFM unban - not because it's too strong (it's more than fine), but because WotC thinks it's still a dangerous card that might need revaluation later on like Golgari-Grave Troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

I'm more baffled by the SFM unban - not because it's too strong (it's more than fine), but because WotC thinks it's still a dangerous card that might need revaluation later on like Golgari-Grave Troll.
    I'm amazed that Ancient Stirrings didn't get hit. That card has never been in anything resembling a "fair" deck, its the single best cantrip in Modern, bar none now. That plus the London Mulligan and new Karn means Tron almost always "wins" on turn 3. Maybe Force of Negation is enough to stop it now that everyone doesn't have to spend so many slots on the graveyard, but I kinda doubt it.

SFM is fine, it'll be nice to see creature decks using equipment again. Wish they'd ban Griselbrand and Emrakul, it would be nice to see some fatties that don't immediately end the game see play. Especially Brand, but that'll probably never happen.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

True about Stoneforge the card in standard was pretty busted, but I feel like good answers just didn't exist. Also the deck had Jace, ponder, leak, preordain, and spell pierce. Was pretty nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Way more than that.

Fucking called it, hogaak ban and sfm unban for moden, no changes to legacy.

Looting ban is slightly surprising. This really nerfs a couple strong decks: red/izzet phoenix and traditional dredge. It also hamstrings value-based looting decks like mardu pyromancer and death's shadow variants. I'm not a fan of banning looting, honestly. I feel like Hogaak was enough. *shrug*

Stoneforge up y'all!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Was Hogaak popular in Modern? Like I understand a lot of people played him, but was that because it was clearly the best deck, or did people like playing that deck?

I ask because I recall a few times in the past when meaty bans rolled through Modern, there would be a good chunk of players affected that pick up and move to Legacy. I can imagine those that still have the kit for the old Hogaak/Bridge from Below/Altar of Dementia just say fuck it and grab Cabal Therapy and whatever else they're now open to playing. Then for a few months the local meta gets really weird with new faces seeing complex interactions for the first time and a bunch of budget stuff while they either buy up or decide maybe the format isn't for them.

Based on a lot of talk, it seemed like people hated to play against him but also kind of hated to play with him as well, so maybe everybody just rejoices and nothing changes? Last one I remember was a bunch of new players all coming after Splinter Twin got banned. But Splinter Twin seemed to have a more equal representation on either side, there were lots of For/Against discussions. So either the pro-Hogaak crowd is shamed into silence, or they just don't exist, in which case the ban won't really change the format population.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Was Hogaak popular in Modern? Like I understand a lot of people played him, but was that because it was clearly the best deck, or did people like playing that deck?
    I mean, I guess somewhere there are people who like playing Hogaak in Modern. Then again, there are people who like...well, lets just leave it at that.

Not that I am actively hunting it, but I have yet to come across any comment from anyone disagreeing with the Hogaak ban. I've seen a few people quibble with the Looting ban, but really no outright complaints. I don't think you will see any "mass exodus" on the back of this. There might be some disgruntled Phoenix players, but I doubt there are really all that many that didn't entertain the possibility this might happen.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I don't think I knew anyone that thought Hogaak shouldn't have been banned. I think the people that played it were just like, yeah this deck is dumb as shit but I'll play it and win while it's legal
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Since 2011:

Modern- 24 bannings
    Vintage- 12 restrictions
    Legacy- 6 bannings

I ask because I recall a few times in the past when meaty bans rolled through Modern, there would be a good chunk of players affected that pick up and move to Legacy. I can imagine those that still have the kit for the old Hogaak/Bridge from Below/Altar of Dementia just say fuck it and grab Cabal Therapy and whatever else they're now open to playing. Then for a few months the local meta gets really weird with new faces seeing complex interactions for the first time and a bunch of budget stuff while they either buy up or decide maybe the format isn't for them.

Based on a lot of talk, it seemed like people hated to play against him but also kind of hated to play with him as well, so maybe everybody just rejoices and nothing changes? Last one I remember was a bunch of new players all coming after Splinter Twin got banned. But Splinter Twin seemed to have a more equal representation on either side, there were lots of For/Against discussions. So either the pro-Hogaak crowd is shamed into silence, or they just don't exist, in which case the ban won't really change the format population.
    I heard a lot of people were grumbling about having to play hogaak, and Hogaak was only at three or so bucks so I doubt there's a lot of Gaak Stans hanging around.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Yeah, it was. At the GP this weekend it was 13% of day 1 decks (the next closest being 8% mono-red, the deck most likely to beat it), which progressed into 22% of the day 2 decks, and then 5/8 of the top 8 and 3/4 of the top 4 decks. The deck was far and away the most broken deck Modern has ever seen, by at least any statistical metric you want to use. It warped the metagame around it so hard that Leyline of the Void was the most played card in the format, and even then it could pretty easily win through it with 4x Assassin's Trophy and 4x Force of Vigor post-board.

The biggest problem was that the only card that could effectively cast it from being played quickly enough was Leyline, and even cards like Path to Exile weren't always effective since they had Carrion Feeder to dodge it. I haven't seen a single person who was outraged by that ban, which is extremely rare for the internet. Everyone saw it coming.

Faithless Looting reactions also seem to be surprisingly tame. It takes a lot of fun fringe decks out of contention, which sucks a lot, but it's kind of similar to how Sensei's Divining Top got hit in Legacy. Rock decks were playing it as a 2-of, and so were some other non-blue decks that wanted the card selection, but they weren't the ones abusing it. People seem generally pretty happy about these.

And people are very happy about Stoneforge Mystic. I wonder if the community outcry before the ban list update pushed WotC into unbanning it, since there was so many calls to unban it.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

So I was looking up metagame cards on tcdecks last week. I don't play Modern but I decided to check out what their metagame looked like. Leyline of the Void was the #1 played card by a wide margin. The rest of the Top 10 were basically the Hogaak deck (Hogaak, Faithless Looting, Bloodghast). I am, therefor, not at all surprised by the bannings. It looked like the format was pretty fucked.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

StoneForge Mistyc in Modern, it is not only Caw Blade.
    She opens some options for D&T, Dead Guy Ale, Maverick or WBG. It is a fresh wind to the format especially after the Hoggaak Era.

I really expected anything in legacy, maybe next time.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think (perhaps falsely) that with GP ATL looming they didn't want to ban or unban anything in fear of people getting pissed for whatever reason and complaining or cancelling their GP trips

Thread Information