View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521611115111011 ... LastLast

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Re: All B/R update speculation.

For reference:

New wording
    {oX}: You may choose a creature card in your hand whose mana cost could be paid by some amount of, or all of, the mana you spent on {oX}. If you do, you may cast that card face down as a 2/2 creature spell without paying its mana cost. If the creature that spell becomes as it resolves has not been turned face up and would assign or deal damage, be dealt damage, or become tapped, instead it’s turned face up and assigns or deals damage, is dealt damage, or becomes tapped. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Thanks for clearing that up wizards....
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Quote Originally Posted by Leftconsin View Post
    There was a rules update for Planechase, which includes new wording on Illusionary Mask. http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...ure/54b&page=2 The new wording is very weak power wise compared to the old one because you now have to pay colors and the creature spell can be countered. This new version can probably come off the ban list.
    Didn't wizards say it was banned for monetary reasons as well?

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

This is sort of a myth. Wizards has never said that "card x" is banned because it costs too much.

See this article:
    http://wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Ar...com/daily/af30

The relevant quote: "We tried to strike the fine balance between accessibility and, well, balance of play." They never explicitly mention card $$ anywhere (to my knowledge).

Tabernacle can now be build around with indestructibles, if that appeals to anyone. This kills the flavor of magus of the tabernacle though.

I remember playing knight of the holy nimbus once against a tabernacle, so I guess this stuff is somewhat relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by workingdude View Post
    Tabernacle can now be build around with indestructibles, if that appeals to anyone. This kills the flavor of magus of the tabernacle though.

I remember playing knight of the holy nimbus once against a tabernacle, so I guess this stuff is somewhat relevant?
    Neither regeneration nor indestructibility do anything against tabernacle, since it's sacrifice and not destroy (and even if, regeneration would still tap your knight of the holy nimbus). You either pay or your creature goes to the bin.

Lion
    May 2009
    Bethlehem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Neither regeneration nor indestructibility do anything against tabernacle, since it's sacrifice and not destroy (and even if, regeneration would still tap your knight of the holy nimbus). You either pay or your creature goes to the bin.
    Except for the part where Mr. Gottlieb said in the article that it's going to be a destroy effect now.

Quote Originally Posted by whienot View Post
    For reference:

New wording
    {oX}: You may choose a creature card in your hand whose mana cost could be paid by some amount of, or all of, the mana you spent on {oX}. If you do, you may cast that card face down as a 2/2 creature spell without paying its mana cost. If the creature that spell becomes as it resolves has not been turned face up and would assign or deal damage, be dealt damage, or become tapped, instead it’s turned face up and assigns or deals damage, is dealt damage, or becomes tapped. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Thanks for clearing that up wizards....
    It's not going to come off the banned list for Legacy with that wording. For one thing is still allows you to sneak a Phyrexian Dreadnought into play without sacrificing 12 power worth of creatures. The other thing of course is that anything that requires record-keeping to verify the legality of a play at a later time is just too clunky and likely to cause problems for judges in actual tournament play later. Just try having yourself and your opponent write something down at the same time and then see how reliably it matches a few turns later when it is compared. Life scores being the perfect example, where players are constantly adjusting by a bit here or there because one or the other forgot to record something or recorded it wrong. Judges would have no good way to resolve the situation if one player said he paid appropriate mana costs for the play (and at the time the issue arose had the right mana on the board) and the other said he had not. He says, she says is a judges worst nightmare.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gottlieb, Wizard of the Coast Rules Manager
    The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    "Destroy" on the printed card became "sacrifice" in Oracle.

New wording
    All creatures have "At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy this creature unless you pay {o1}."
    Note that this is the only "Tabernacle" effect that recieved errata. Both Pendrell Mist and Magus of the Tabernacle are printed with the sacrifice clause, while Tabernacle is printed with destroy.

Brony and Proud
    Oct 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by PunkRocker1134 View Post
    Didn't wizards say it was banned for monetary reasons as well?
    Alpha Illusionary Mask (Banned): $115.99 (MOTL)
    Beta Illusionary Mask (Banned): $93.94 (MOTL)
    Unlimited Illusionary Mask (Banned): $63.12 (MOTL)
    The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale (Legal): $104.31 (MOTL)
    Grim Tutor (Legal): $104.67 (MOTL)
    Imperial Recruiter (Legal): $140.09 (MOTL)
    Juzam Djinn (Legal): $115.03 (MOTL - I threw this one in for fun!)

Cards aren't banned in Legacy over secondary market prices.
    Don't Hate the Herd

Feb 2008
    Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    It's not going to come off the banned list for Legacy with that wording. For one thing is still allows you to sneak a Phyrexian Dreadnought into play without sacrificing 12 power worth of creatures.
    Except now Dreadnought can be countered.

The other thing of course is that anything that requires record-keeping to verify the legality of a play at a later time is just too clunky and likely to cause problems for judges in actual tournament play later.
    How is that different from any other Morph card.

Quote Originally Posted by m03 View Post
    Except now Dreadnought can be countered.
    Dreadnought could be countered before also. Illusionary Mask wouldn't add counterability to the process, just a permanent way to sneak a dreadnought into play.

Quote Originally Posted by m03 View Post
    How is that different from any other Morph card.
    Morph is a fixed cost of . There's no record-keeping involved at all. When you flip a morph over the cost to do so is printed on the card that is revealed and the cost is paid at the moment you do it.

This re-wording of Illusionary Mask would require the player to pay the accurate cost to deploy the card normally plus whatever extra they chose to use to disguise it as an addition. They'd need to note the amount spent at the time they did this to allow for verification that they had deployed the card legally when it was ultimately revealed. The opponent obviously would do the same if they were at all competitive and it is in the comparison of the two recordings that problems would arise, particularly if you got to the point where multiple cards had been deployed face down with the mask and not yet revealed.

Feb 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

Ok, so can anyone tell me whats going on with Tabernacle? So "destroy" was originally printed on the card, but the new oracle wording is instead "sacrifice". But if thats the case, why is the new wording "At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy this creature unless you pay {o1}." It seems that it contradicts itself.
    Team <spectacular

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by The Wes View Post
    Ok, so can anyone tell me whats going on with Tabernacle? So "destroy" was originally printed on the card, but the new oracle wording is instead "sacrifice". But if thats the case, why is the new wording "At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy this creature unless you pay {o1}." It seems that it contradicts itself.
    No, the new oracle wording changes it back to destroy. It was updated a long time ago to say "sacrifice", and they just now changed it back.

Feb 2008
    Hollywood

Dreadnought could be countered before also. Illusionary Mask wouldn't add counterability to the process, just a permanent way to sneak a dreadnought into play.
    Um, no. It did make it uncounterable according to the old wording. It was one of the arguments presented against unbanning it before.

X: You may put a creature card with converted mana cost X or less from your hand onto the battlefield face down as a 0/1 creature. Put X mask counters on that creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery. The creature's controller may turn the creature face up any time he or she could cast an instant by removing all mask counters from it. This effect ends if the creature is turned face up.

Morph is a fixed cost of . There's no record-keeping involved at all. When you flip a morph over the cost to do so is printed on the card that is revealed and the cost is paid at the moment you do it.

This re-wording of Illusionary Mask would require the player to pay the accurate cost to deploy the card normally plus whatever extra they chose to use to disguise it as an addition. They'd need to note the amount spent at the time they did this to allow for verification that they had deployed the card legally when it was ultimately revealed. The opponent obviously would do the same if they were at all competitive and it is in the comparison of the two recordings that problems would arise, particularly if you got to the point where multiple cards had been deployed face down with the mask and not yet revealed.
    Actually, you're supposed to keep track with morph, too: you're supposed to put counters on the morphs to indicate the order in which they entered play.

It doesn't come up much, but technically it IS what you're supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Actually, you're supposed to keep track with morph, too: you're supposed to put counters on the morphs to indicate the order in which they entered play.

It doesn't come up much, but technically it IS what you're supposed to do.
    Not that I don't believe you, but why would that be of any importance ? Are there cards, mechanics or rules that explicitly use the order in which creatures have entered play ? I can't think of any. Could you provide an example (even a far-fetched one, as I guess it will have to be one anyway) were it would be relevant ?
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post
    Not that I don't believe you, but why would that be of any importance ? Are there cards, mechanics or rules that explicitly use the order in which creatures have entered play ? I can't think of any. Could you provide an example (even a far-fetched one, as I guess it will have to be one anyway) were it would be relevant ?
    On turn 2, you Eladamri's Call / Wordly Tutor / etc. for a creature card with morph (revealing it to your opponent) and cast it on turn 3. Several turns later, you have an empty hand, the morph is still face-down, then you topdeck and play a second morph. Once you have both in play, it should be public information for obvious reasons which one entered play first and which one later.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    On turn 2, you Eladamri's Call / Wordly Tutor / etc. for a creature card with morph (revealing it to your opponent) and cast it on turn 3. Several turns later, you have an empty hand, the morph is still face-down, then you topdeck and play a second morph. Once you have both in play, it should be public information for obvious reasons which one entered play first and which one later.
    Are face down cards normally public information, even if the identity of one of them is known?

I'm just trying to think what about the particular situation that you've just described confers the right for the opposing player to have a facedown card marked or otherwise delineated as opposed to him just having to keep track himself of which is which?

Has anyone seen my pants?
    Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

Are face down cards normally public information, even if the identity of one of them is known?

I'm just trying to think what about the particular situation that you've just described confers the right for the opposing player to have a facedown card marked or otherwise delineated as opposed to him just having to keep track himself of which is which?
    by your logic, i can put a face down Birchlore Ranger, then a turn later put a face down Blistering firecat, and through sleight of hand, attack with the face down Firecat, and you'd be none-the-wiser. Hey, wanna play some Magic?
    Skizzik No Kicker. Like a true retard.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    by your logic, i can put a face down Birchlore Ranger, then a turn later put a face down Blistering firecat, and through sleight of hand, attack with the face down Firecat, and you'd be none-the-wiser. Hey, wanna play some Magic?
    If your suggestion is that you can blatantly cheat if you choose to do so I guess that's true.

Point take though that facedown cards in play have to be in some way clearly identifiable to prevent blatant cheating.

Thread Information