View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1107 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 10760710071057109711031104110511061107110811091110111111171157 ... LastLast
Results 22,121 to 22,140 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    What do you think about a creature for Legacy - Evolved Predator - G 3/4 - If you do not control a non-basic land, sacrifice Evolved Predator. And something like:
    Legacy Protector - G1 2/3 Reach - Flash - Protection from Blue - When Legacy Protector enters the battlefield, you may counter target triggered or activated ability.
    At a minimum if you want to push green and not blue splashing for green you need to be looking at GG as a cost at least. Otherwise, if you print a powerful green card it will just go into regular delver/xerox shells anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    This proposed new format is basically what Wizards did creating Modern. Is Old Growth Dryads any good in Modern?

They clearly left Legacy alone for those of us who want fast but unpowered combo balanced by FoW (and to sleeve up our 4xBrainstorm 4xPonder 2xSnow-Covered Island). They're never going to cut that stuff, it's the reason Legacy still exists.

What can fill green's hole? Instead of G for 3/3, how about a 3-mana permanent that makes 3/3s. That fits greens themes beatdown and ramp. Maybe it could gain 3 life too.
    Unless that card was aggressively costed or very color dependent it would just be absorbed by Xerox decks. At the end of the day the best thing to do in legacy will be to play 4x Brainstorm, 4x Ponder, 4x Force of Will and then fill in from there.

Edit: Ninja'd
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Unless that card was aggressively costed or very color dependent it would just be absorbed by Xerox decks. At the end of the day the best thing to do in legacy will be to play 4x Brainstorm, 4x Ponder, 4x Force of Will and then fill in from there.

Edit: Ninja'd
    Is 1UG not aggressively costed or color dependent enough? If Wizards gave this hypothetical new best 3/3 engine as a card that also pitches to FoW, is that a problem?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Is 1UG not aggressively costed or color dependent enough? If Wizards gave this hypothetical new best 3/3 engine as a card that also pitches to FoW, is that a problem?
    Depends on what you mean by "Make green good".

If you mean you want the top deck to be Temur instead of Grixis, Simic instead of Izzet, then sure make powerful cards that are G, 1G, (Anycolor)G, or 1UG, etc . . .

If you mean you want the top deck to "Have green but not have blue" you need to print a busted ass card with at least GG in the mana cost OR some new crazy elf OR some hilariously broken green enchantment for Enchantress.
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Excellent cards will _always_ get co-opted into blue shells, since blue can do what other colors can't (or at least can't do anywhere as good), and what amounts to the best mechanics in this game: Reactively neutralize stuff on the stack, and draw cards. Since the best cards in other categories (aggressiveness - Delver; evasiveness - True-Name Nemsis; etc.) have also been printed in U over the last years, U is less dependent on "support" colors, except for removal. That doesn't mean U shells won't adapt if there were a new threat to be printed that simply outclassed pretty much everything else, even with GG in its mana cost (remember Ug Survival?).

You'd have to specifically make it nigh-impossible for U to do that, if you don't want anyone do it successfully. "You can't cast ~ if you control an Island." type of stuff.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    Excellent cards will _always_ get co-opted into blue shells, since blue can do what other colors can't (or at least can't do anywhere as good), and what amounts to the best mechanics in this game: Reactively neutralize stuff on the stack, and draw cards. Since the best cards in other categories (aggressiveness - Delver; evasiveness - True-Name Nemsis; etc.) have also been printed in U over the last years, U is less dependent on "support" colors, except for removal. That doesn't mean U shells won't adapt if there were a new threat to be printed that simply outclassed pretty much everything else, even with GG in its mana cost (remember Ug Survival?).

You'd have to specifically make it nigh-impossible for U to do that, if you don't want anyone do it successfully. "You can't cast ~ if you control an Island." type of stuff.
    I don't think you need to make it nigh-impossible for U to run it, just make it incompatible with their general strategy, e.g. Once Upon A Time is a great example for that. Sadly, WotC continues the trend of making hate cards one-sided instead of affecting both players. Constraints breed creativity, but WotC is too much on the "feel-good"-train which results in their regular fuck-ups and bans lately.

An example for a card that wouldn't slot well into blue decks: (and no, this shouldn't be a shitty card creation thread or power level discussion, just an example to illustrate):

The Cruader
    Legendary Creature - Human Knight
    First Strike
    Non-white spells cost more to play.
    Other white creatures you control get +1/+1.
    2/2

The taxing makes it very unattractive to run too many non-white spells in the same way Thalia isn't run by blue decks. The Crusade effect encourages you to run quite a few white creatures to capitalize fully on it.

Thing is, we won't get blatant anti-blue cards anytime soon. But there are other ways to make powerful cards unattractive for blue.

What do you think about a creature for Legacy - Evolved Predator - G 3/4 - If you do not control a non-basic land, sacrifice Evolved Predator. And something like:
    Legacy Protector - G1 2/3 Reach - Flash - Protection from Blue - When Legacy Protector enters the battlefield, you may counter target triggered or activated ability.
    Skylasher comes very close. If nothing else it surprise kills a delver, flipped or otherwise.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I don't think you need to make it nigh-impossible for U to run it, just make it incompatible with their general strategy, e.g. Once Upon A Time is a great example for that. Sadly, WotC continues the trend of making hate cards one-sided instead of affecting both players. Constraints breed creativity, but WotC is too much on the "feel-good"-train which results in their regular fuck-ups and bans lately.

An example for a card that wouldn't slot well into blue decks: (and no, this shouldn't be a shitty card creation thread or power level discussion, just an example to illustrate):

The Cruader
    Legendary Creature - Human Knight
    First Strike
    Non-white spells cost more to play.
    Other white creatures you control get +1/+1.
    2/2

The taxing makes it very unattractive to run too many non-white spells in the same way Thalia isn't run by blue decks. The Crusade effect encourages you to run quite a few white creatures to capitalize fully on it.

Thing is, we won't get blatant anti-blue cards anytime soon. But there are other ways to make powerful cards unattractive for blue.
    I'm pretty sure that card is too good to be allowed in DnT.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The Elfsader
    Legendary Creature - Elf Shaman
    Hexproof
    Green spells cost less to play
    Whenever a player casts a green creature spell, that player draws a card.
    2/2
    Colorshifting it...

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Colorshifting it...
    lol what, you better errata that to green spells cost less to cast right now
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Yeah, it's probably fine to add Glimpse of Nature to a hexproof creature type - elf alongside something that makes one-mana elves free.

/sarcasm
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Colorshifting it...
    BUT GUISE MAKES INFET REALLY GOOD! Ban Brainstorm!
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    At a minimum if you want to push green and not blue splashing for green you need to be looking at GG as a cost at least. Otherwise, if you print a powerful green card it will just go into regular delver/xerox shells anyway.
    Something like - Lurking Ambusher - GG - 3/2 Flash, Reach

I think a creature that combined an effect like Bind and a 2/2ish body with flash would be cool - if you add Blue, all the FOW decks will splash it, if you do 1G, they may splash too, so it's got to be GG or GGG (or I guess GG1) would work too. There should be a creature for GGGG that is just awesome. And then one for GGGGG that just rocks, has to be have at least 3 more abilities than Reality Smasher.
    "Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference."

Sep 2011

Something like - Lurking Ambusher - GG - 3/2 Flash, Reach

I think a creature that combined an effect like Bind and a 2/2ish body with flash would be cool - if you add Blue, all the FOW decks will splash it, if you do 1G, they may splash too, so it's got to be GG or GGG (or I guess GG1) would work too. There should be a creature for GGGG that is just awesome. And then one for GGGGG that just rocks, has to be have at least 3 more abilities than Reality Smasher.
    They tried printing creatures with GGGGGG and even GGGGGGGG (Primalcrux, Khalni Hydra) but even Devotion to Green decks don't run them. How many more Gs do they need?

At 5 cmc with multiple abilities... Vorapede, Oversoul of Dusk, and Thornling are magic cards.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

They tried printing creatures with GGGGGG and even GGGGGGGG (Primalcrux, Khalni Hydra) but even Devotion to Green decks don't run them. How many more Gs do they need?

At 5 cmc with multiple abilities... Vorapede, Oversoul of Dusk, and Thornling are magic cards.
    Great points - and every one of the cards listed above dies to STP, so GGGGG is spent on a creature, and it dies with a W instant?

That's why these cards don't work. The GGGG or larger creature needs hexproof, probably needs haste or a way to gain haste, and needs power 6 or a way to grow.

As an aside, I think the way to "fix" Astrolabe is to make it activate with Snow Mana (not generic), so there is some constraint around color production.

Sep 2011

As an aside, I think the way to "fix" Astrolabe is to make it activate with Snow Mana (not generic), so there is some constraint around color production.
    LOL @ Astrolabe being used to cast a GGGG hexproof haste 6/6 in Miracles.

Sadly they will probably try it if you don't stop it. I played in a Standard format where you were supposed to curve 1UUU into 2GGGG into RRBBBUU. Control just plays all the best cards if you give them the mana.

Edit:
    The GGGG or larger creature... probably needs haste or a way to gain haste, and needs power 6 or a way to grow.
    Craterhoof Behemoth

Unfortunately Gaea's Revenge and even Carnage Tyrant don't see play, not even in Nic Fit. What even happened to Thrun, the Last Troll?

May 2015
    PDX

Overthinking it. The issue is that it turns into a haste, cantripping Rogue Elephant; as such an opponent can’t really play walkers into a Astrolabe on board. Get rid of Oko and Astro is can’t do double duty as a wincon.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

What even happened to Thrun, the Last Troll?
    A few things: Terminus and Council's Judgment made Hexproof not matter, True-Name Nemesis walled it, and Monastery Mentor outclassed Thrun as a threat. Thrun's already gone, but if he wasn't, Oko would push him out. The last time I played Bant, it was a couple years ago, and I tried two Thruns in the board. They ended up being too slow and GG was too steep of a color requirement for a three-color deck in a Back to Basics era.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

LOL @ Astrolabe being used to cast a GGGG hexproof haste 6/6 in Miracles.

Sadly they will probably try it if you don't stop it. I played in a Standard format where you were supposed to curve 1UUU into 2GGGG into RRBBBUU. Control just plays all the best cards if you give them the mana.

Edit:

Craterhoof Behemoth

Unfortunately Gaea's Revenge and even Carnage Tyrant don't see play, not even in Nic Fit. What even happened to Thrun, the Last Troll?
    As an aside, means it is a different issue. Astrolabe should be banned (as is), I'm not talking about it casting large green creatures. - What "happened" to Thrun was that it can't beat Tarmogoyf, Gurmag Angler, Reality Smasher, Delver of Secrets, and True-Name Nemesis, so when spend 4 when you can spend less for better? That's why I'm saying, the green creature needs haste and power 6 so that it is one of the biggest threats in Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Overthinking it. The issue is that it turns into a haste, cantripping Rogue Elephant; as such an opponent can’t really play walkers into a Astrolabe on board. Get rid of Oko and Astro is can’t do double duty as a wincon.
    I think even if Oko is gone, you will still find 4 and 5 color control decks utilizing Astro to take advantage of 1 cc instants (STP, Pyroblast, Veil, etc.) - I think the way to fix Astro is to require snow mana in - obviously, this isn't going to happen, they don't issue erratas anymore, so I would say ban Astro in Legacy. If control players want to run 3, 4, and 5 colors, they need to run dual lands and face threats like Wasteland, Blood Moon, Back to Basics, and Choke. Astro literally lets you run basic land and have better color fixing than the decks that run non-basics. Astro is a nice idea, but over-powered.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

For a green creature to be good, it needs to have some type of defense against spot removal and hopefully sweepers, and needs evasion or to be larger than the other creatures it will encounter.

Thoughts would be a creature that leaves a token behind or re-casts itself if it dies by a sweeper.

A mechanic called "Hibernate" or "Retreat" would be cool - something like, "if this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, remove it from the game with X slumber counters on it. During each of your upkeeps, remove a slumber counter. When the last slumber counter is removed, you may cast creature without paying its mana cost (and possibly creature gains haste).

The idea behind "Hibernate" is that spot removal wouldn't kill larger green creatures, it would just make them disappear for a few turns until they came back to fight again. Something to make STP sting a little less.

Thread Information