View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1126 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 12662610261076111611221123112411251126112711281129113011361176 ... LastLast
Results 22,501 to 22,520 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Thanks alot!

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    So far:

Innovation
    41.9%
    Balance
    58.1%

Interesting comment, with a lot of people agreeing with it:

While I do believe in prioritization for certain things, the way that this question is posed is that it is a trade-off. I don't really believe in this trade off - they are on different axes.

And the ubiquitous maro answer to problems:

Come on, Ben. I know you know that balancing something with no precedent is harder than balancing something we’ve done five times before.

Which lead to the obvious answer:

I don't think it's that hard to see that starting with 8 cards is absolutely a problem.
    It does seem that he's presenting a false dichotomy for PR reasons.

Of course, his job security depends on it.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Asses View Post
    It does seem that he's presenting a false dichotomy for PR reasons.
    And it doesn't even address the core problems of their current design philosophy.

Even if they don't make stupid new mechanics that you can't really interact with before shit hits the fan (e.g. companion, energy) - there are still the cards left that are too extremely pushed to sell sets. That, in combination with the lack of proper, timely answers, is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Cool poll Maro except it's literally your job to do both.

Sep 2011

They apparently don't have resources to playtest Eternal formats... which in plain English means stable formats aren't profitable enough so they won't spend money testing them. Still, it's really not hard to do the following checks before printing a card:

1) Does this card let you repeatedly replay Black Lotus/Lion's Eye Diamond without exiling the card after?

2) Does this cheap planeswalker let you replay Strip Mine/Wasteland over and over and also manage the board?

These should be obvious red flags. Somehow Wrenn and Six, Underworld Breach and Lurrus of the Dream-Den still failed them.

May 2015
    PDX

I don’t even think you need to go that far on W&6, just ask “should Crucible cost 1 less, be harder to kill/target, and also threaten to end the game in 5 turns?”

Lurrus is the least egregious, and shows at least minimal insight as to how to separate anything like DRS from turn 1 dude into turn 2 play 1-card combo that wins game by itself (ex. Oko). A creature that says stop playing PWs is fine in my book.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I don’t even think you need to go that far on W&6, just ask “should Crucible cost 1 less, be harder to kill/target, and also threaten to end the game in 5 turns?”
    Just ask if crucible was almost an entirely different card
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

In the eighteen years I've been familiar with MaRo's rhetoric, I've never seen him this duplicitous. Hopefully it means someone yelled at him or at the entire group about all of this shit the company has been printing recently.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    They apparently don't have resources to playtest Eternal formats... which in plain English means stable formats aren't profitable enough so they won't spend money testing them. Still, it's really not hard to do the following checks before printing a card:

1) Does this card let you repeatedly replay Black Lotus/Lion's Eye Diamond without exiling the card after?

2) Does this cheap planeswalker let you replay Strip Mine/Wasteland over and over and also manage the board?

These should be obvious red flags. Somehow Wrenn and Six, Underworld Breach and Lurrus of the Dream-Den still failed them.
    To be fair, there wasn't widespread shouting that these cards needed to be banned until a while after their release, I follow the spoiler season carefully and listen to maybe a dozen podcasts. When W6 was banned after six months or so very few people actively supported an immediate ban (as I recall, I did fwiw), I remember feeling controversial when I wrote here before the announcement that it seemed like the first opportunity for WotC to ban the card without it seeming like they acted prematurely. It took a while until Brain Feeze was identified as an engine and wincon with Breach, and if that card didn't exist we might still have Breach around.

Anyway, whether these cards can be identified as banworthy at a concept stage or not, as long as bans are carried out swiftly, the damage to the format is minimal. It's when we need to regularly face these cards that 90% (random number) of players recognise as not suitable for this format that our interest in playing is reduced. I hope WotC keep up banning proactively, like with Breach. Edit: and I hope they step it up with respect to Oko and sadly Astrolabe, and Lurrus.

Edit: the Litmus tests you propose seem good.

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    ... It's when we need to regularly face these cards that 90% (random number) of players recognise as not suitable for this format that our interest in playing is reduced. ...
    Speaking of which, latest legacy prelim, Lurrus is as played as brainstorm and ponder (all at 66.67% of the decks). A minimum of 42.42% of the decks in the entire format plays lurrus (ranging from storm to delver(s), to WW...)

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Speaking of which, latest legacy prelim, Lurrus is as played as brainstorm and ponder (all at 66.67% of the decks). A minimum of 42.42% of the decks in the entire format plays lurrus (ranging from storm to delver(s), to WW...)
    I thought it was even more. Now, it's possible that the format will adapt, but this seems like a card that will not be easy to balance. The Companion-restriction [edit: for Lurrus specifically] may be suitable for Standard and Pioneer, maybe Modern, but not for Legacy and probably not for Vintage. We should have this card banned now in order to avoid further damaging the format. And, I think with a more proactive approach to banning cards, it may be a good idea to reconsider unbanning cards in the future. I think this could be done in a community effort, similar to how Julian Knab ran the.. What's it called again, the Legacy Mediocre League? [edit: no, Legacy Unchained - https://itsjulian.com/legacy-unchained-week-1/] I forgot, last spring's Twitch tournament with Deathrite, Top and Survival unbanned.
    Last edited by pettdan; 05-12-2020 at 03:52 AM.

I thought it was even more. Now, it's possible that the format will adapt, but this seems like a card that will not be easy to balance. The Companion-restriction [edit: for Lurrus specifically] may be suitable for Standard and Pioneer, maybe Modern, but not for Legacy and probably not for Vintage. We should have this card banned now in order to avoid further damaging the format. And, I think with a more proactive approach to banning cards, it may be a good idea to reconsider unbanning cards in the future. I think this could be done in a community effort, similar to how Julian Knab ran the.. What's it called again, the Legacy Mediocre League? I forgot, last spring's Twitch tournament with Deathrite, Top and Survival unbanned.
    Vintage is a wee bit different, Lurrus is only played in 81.25% of the decks in the latest challenge. Just after force with 87.50%.

Mar 2007

Speaking of which, latest legacy prelim, Lurrus is as played as brainstorm and ponder (all at 66.67% of the decks).
    Pillar of the format! /sarcasm

Even with Lurrus gone, there are still Zirda, Gyruda and probably Yorion at minimum that are going to be problematic. I sure can't sait for Bant/4C Snoko Yorion clusterfuck decks once Lurrus is gone.

They should ban the companion mechanic from Constructed play (allowing you to run the cards normally) and throw in an Astrolabe + Oko ban as well. There, format fixed.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

It took a while until Brain Feeze was identified as an engine and wincon with Breach, and if that card didn't exist we might still have Breach around.
    I don't mean to splice up your entire quote, much of what I agree with, but I remember the same day of Breach being spoiled that there was talk of brainfreeze being a good kill condition with the card. Just saying that Breach was dumb as shit and I think even without Brainfreeze existing it would've eventually gotten the axe
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I don't mean to splice up your entire quote, much of what I agree with, but I remember the same day of Breach being spoiled that there was talk of brainfreeze being a good kill condition with the card. Just saying that Breach was dumb as shit and I think even without Brainfreeze existing it would've eventually gotten the axe
    It’s perfectly ok you have a good point and you're probably right. I think I oversimplified my description of it which was based on a couple of observations hanging together loosely. As I recalled it took some little time between seeing the card and hearing of BF but maybe it was only less than a day, I thought it might have been a couple of days as I remember finding brain freezes for good prices for maybe a few days, indicating to me it took a while for it to catch on (not disagreeing here, just that this was my observation at the time that I probably reinterpreted wrongly now). Also I don't remember exactly but didn't decklists evolve for a while, I vaguely recall that but maybe what I really recall was all the different types of lists that were popping up.. Final observation and the more relevant one, as Breach was banned, Maverick actually seemed to be becoming a meta deck and if Breach decks were a bit weaker, such as without BF, I can see Maverick having had an even better edge there. It's hard to say how such a meta might have evolved.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Am I the only one who thinks good cards are cool and that people should actually get the chance to play with them before deciding they should be banned? Because it'd be really cool to actually see these cards in person before they get the axe.

Underworld Breach and Wrenn and Six both got banned ludicrously quickly—and with judgment that can only be described as lacking. That's no better than waiting a decade to act on Miracles or waiting to act on Chalice of the Void until sometime never.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks good cards are cool and that people should actually get the chance to play with them before deciding they should be banned? Because it'd be really cool to actually see these cards in person before they get the axe.

Underworld Breach and Wrenn and Six both got banned ludicrously quickly—and with judgment that can only be described as lacking. That's no better than waiting a decade to act on Miracles or waiting to act on Chalice of the Void until sometime never.
    I agree that cards shouldn’t be banned without vetting by paper play.

Breach and Wrenn were both poorly designed, and highlight the problems with the short-sighted banning of legacy’s GY police (DRS). Mistakes like these will keep getting out of control (ex. Hogaak, Uro, Sanctuary, Dreadhorde, Wrenn, Breach, Lurrus) the longer we go without the black 1-drop policeman. A fixed version of DRS is likely in order since the mana acceleration leads either to Hymn/Snapcaster exploits or 1-card combo that wins game by itself (Oko). Either he only gets to make a mana of the color/type of the land he exiles, or do something interesting like exile a non-creature or non-instant/sorcery to gain either first strike (anti-Snapcaster) or deathtouch (anti-Goyf).

Breach is on a different level than the others though, that pushed out every fair deck way quicker that DTT OmniTell ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post

I got burned by the breach ban. It was my fault, I knew it was bannable. Grinding station was another engine for breach.

W6 was a good ban, which I did not get got by because like pettdan, I knew it was bannable before the release date just like with breach.

I agree that miracles needed a banning on terminus BEFORE Oko, Astrolabe and uro, and now its looking like Lurrus and Yorion (all are in some version of a winning miracles decklist). I think the name Miracles is damned ironic for the decklist. Anyway, its name should really be "Miracles Never Cease" now that they have Mystic Sanctuary, also.

Chalice is fine. You can combo turn 2, maybe turn 1 *TO WIN THE GAME* in this format right now without ever casting something that costs 1. It is fine.

If they outright ban Lurrus of the Dream Den, I will be really frustrated. If they ban the Companion mechanic, I will also be really frustrated. Yorion isn't good if there is no Companion mechanic, but if Companion is allowed to stay, Lurrus and Zirda and possibly others remain detrimental to the formats they are effective in.

TL;DR - I prefer balanced design over reactive environment. Companion could have been balanced, and Lurrus was busted without it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thread Information