View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1138 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1386381038108811281134113511361137113811391140114111421148 ... LastLast
Results 22,741 to 22,760 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    and there it is; elitism. "if you don't play BS then you're not good enough"
    BS is a crutch that enables blue stew piles and you can't even imagine playing a non-BS deck.
    do you make fun of the yugioh players, too?
    Um, what? I can't tell if you're serious. I don't play Brainstorm and nothing about my post had anything to do with it.

Also of course I make fun of YuGiOh players, it's a well known fact that they are indeed greasy nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlenasty View Post
    If you think you depend on Brainstorm you're probably not good enough I'd say. In ~ 2013 or 14 I made second place in a small 23 player tournament with a mono blue Ninjastill list. No Brainstorms, no fetches and substituting Forces with Foils... I will never forget the Ant players reddening face when I stifled of his sec turn kill with a 2 cent card. He even duressed me before, but simply didn't acknowledge that card. It was the round that put me in the finals. The finals I lost to a friend of mine that I deemed as the best magic player in town back then.
    What I want to say is: It's possible to do good without brainstorm. Even in blue. I actually believe there are blue strategies that would be better off neglecting brainstorms.
    I can't say that getting 2nd place in a 23-person tournament 6 years ago really proves much in regards to Brainstorm.

Or was that supposed to be a joke?

Nah, neither was it a joke nor does it prove much.
    It just showcases it's not impossible to do good without Brainstorm under the right circumstances and though the comment I was replying to wasn't directed at me, I can absolutely imagine playing without it.
    I shared that anecdote to make it clear that I'm not defending Brainstorm because I'm a Delver/4c only player.
    Though I own a playset for the sake of completion, I have never ever flipped a delver in my life.

I don't even think I need to proof anything.
    I simply don't believe that Brainstorm is broken in a format where pretty consistent turn one kills without the help of Brainstorm are possible and common.
    Br reanimator, Belcher, Oops all spells, Dredge..
    Turn two 20/20s and all that stuff..
    Seriously.. brainstorm might be a format defining staple and some might hate it for that.
    But we'd have to ban 50% of what defines this format when we ban Brainstorm.

Banning Brainstorm in Legacy sounds like Banning P9, Bazaar and Workshop in Vintage to me.

Edit: Blasphemic was the word I was looking for. Banning Brainstorm in Legacy is blasphemic at best.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Its about consistency. Sure you can luck out with every other random competitive deck, but over the course of 10 rounds, the bs player has the better draws.
    But we pretty much already concluded: Fetches are the problem, not bs

Turn one kills are a meme.
    That said. Historically legacy banlist was vintage restricted list and bs is on there. Eat your blasphemic noob
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I can't say that getting 2nd place in a 23-person tournament 6 years ago really proves much in regards to Brainstorm.

Or was that supposed to be a joke?

He sounds more like he plays for 6weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    Its about consistency. Sure you can luck out with every other random competitive deck, but over the course of 10 rounds, the bs player has the better draws.
    Can't argue that, won't argue that. It's true. I like consistency. Do you rather roll dice?
    But we pretty much already concluded: Fetches are the problem, not bs
    BS+Fetches was what got me really interested in Magic in the first place. You deem that a problem. I don't

Turn one kills are a meme.
    That said. Historically legacy banlist was vintage restricted list and bs is on there. Eat your blasphemic noob
    No need to get hostile

He sounds more like he plays for 6weeks

Talking about elitism. Get your manners straight!

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Why would fetches get you interested in a card game?

Hostile or not, youre a joke boy.

Why would get fetches you interested in a card game?

Hostile or not, youre a joke boy.
    If anything, your grammar is a joke.
    Can we please end this here? You're clearly not wanting to actually argue about anything. Have you seriously just logged in to call me a joke? Have I kicked your ass in Dülmen or Iserlohn before?

I simply like brainstorm and fetches interaction, but a lot of people here seem to be on a crusade against them. I wanted to voice my opinion, no matter how much I might lack the knowledge to do so, and that's it.
    Outside of this forum I have never met a single person that thought Brainstorm or fetches need to go. Sure it gets called "broken", but in the end they want it to stay.

Apart from that, I see why this forum is close to dead.
    Facebook or discord have nothing to do with it.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Its close to dead, because the format is. Partly thanks to mistreating the banlist. At this point there almost as many cards on the list due to fetch interactions than to just outright ban them.

I still would put more weight to this place than random players from since 2018

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

it's not impossible to do good without Brainstorm under the right circumstances
    congrats on the good finish without BS. i turn 2'd a 20/20 and promptly lost to a BS>S&T>Sneak>emrakul. it happens...

I simply like brainstorm and fetches interaction, but a lot of people here seem to be on a crusade against them. I wanted to voice my opinion, no matter how much I might lack the knowledge to do so, and that's it.
    Outside of this forum I have never met a single person that thought Brainstorm or fetches need to go. Sure it gets called "broken", but in the end they want it to stay.
    my only crusade is against BS. fetches are fine, so was SDT and Deathrite. probe was annoying but acceptable. DTT is only good if you can spam spells and put back any extra copies. no other card does what BS does and it completely warps legacy. would breach and W&6 need a ban without BS in the format? would Oko be so dominant without BS?

don't mind me, i'll be jousting at windmills with my buddy don...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

[Moderator note]Let's calm down on the rhetoric/boardline personal insults, please, thanks.[/mod]
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    [Moderator note]Let's calm down on the rhetoric/boardline personal insults, please, thanks.[/mod]
    Sure, I'm up for that. Sry y'all.

congrats on the good finish without BS.
    Lovely, thx! But of course a lot of luck and opponents not knowing what they really were up against was involved in that.

i turn 2'd a 20/20 and promptly lost to a BS>S&T>Sneak>emrakul. it happens...
    ...even to the best.
    As I pilot both decks(rg lands and SnT) I know which side of the table I'd want to sit on.

my only crusade is against BS. fetches are fine, so was SDT and Deathrite.
    Honestly, when it's about Magic, I had the time of my life with Bant Countertop in ~2010/11. God did I enjoy myself and my opponents misery. I was devastated when I came back after a bigger pause, only to find out SDT was banned.
    I'd be fine with DRS if 1.)it was x/1 and 2.)not castable off Usea.

no other card does what BS does and it completely warps legacy. would breach and W&6 need a ban without BS in the format? would Oko be so dominant without BS?
    Warps? Enriches! ;P

I think W6 would've needed to go anyways. Sniping basically most Legacy creatures plus Wastelock and uncounted land shenanigans is a bit rough for only 2 mana.
    At least without widespread countermeasures.
    I've played him in Jund and even there he reigned terror in my playgroup. Missed the chance to take him to an actual tournament though.
    Can't talk about breach. As I only play in paper I've never encountered it.

don't mind me, i'll be jousting at windmills with my buddy don...
    I thoroghly hope you'll be jousting for ever <3

Use your magical edit powers to change the insult posts into comedy. It would improve the thread massively, after all.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Use your magical edit powers to change the insult posts into comedy. It would improve the thread massively, after all.
    I already have a full-time job, .

I already have a full-time job, .
    Fair point, surviving this thread is a full-time job.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

No idea what "address the Companion mechanic" means, or the scope of what it might entail.

Plausible that it might change how it works for all formats though. I don't think there will be any clarification until we see what they say though. As I've said though, I'd really like to see the mechanic just not work for Legacy and Vintage, this way the cards could still be used in some way.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

No idea what "address the Companion mechanic" means, or the scope of what it might entail.

Plausible that it might change how it works for all formats though. I don't think there will be any clarification until we see what they say though. As I've said though, I'd really like to see the mechanic just not work for Legacy and Vintage, this way the cards could still be used in some way.
    How much would the mechanic have to change for them to unban Lurrus or Zirda?

would this work? "at the beginning of the game shuffle a card back [at random] and put your companion in your hand." - variance is a problem, but no CA, no LED interaction and vulnerable to discard . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

May 2015
    PDX

Simply fixing the mull disparity would go a long way. Putting the card in hand is highly unlikely; 1-mana [discard] completely invalidating building a deck with restrictions seems unlikely.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    would this work? "at the beginning of the game shuffle a card back [at random] and put your companion in your hand." - variance is a problem, but no CA, no LED interaction and vulnerable to discard . . .
    All they need is
    "If you reveal a companion, your opening hand counts as your first mulligan"

That fixes Lurrus and companion in most formats, but not Legacy Zirda.

Zirda isn't busted because of the card advantage, but because it says "you may start with Power Artifact in the Command Zone" and has virtually no restrictions for a spell-based combo deck. Turning Monoliths into a 1-card infinite mana combo is a bit broken.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Well, they could just change the mechanic to only work in EDH, Standard and Historic, then ban what needs to be in those formats. They could also change how it works in those formats to make them less OP as well (lower the starting card number, or something).

I don't know that they will actually do either, but it seems possible at least.

Thread Information