View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 43 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753931435431043 ... LastLast

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Loam replaces the regular draw by it's dredge ability, works only well with multiple lands in the grave and once you shuffle them all via Brain-/jace-storming into your library the cardadvantage is gone. That is a significant difference
    Because Tax magically always trigger? Both are conditional, but tax has the worst restriction, especially for a control deck. Loam allow you to play your game (answering threats) early on and then get card advantage when it will really matter, from midgame on.

Having Jace + Tax active is nearly impossible against Zoo, Merfolk, Goblin, Ichorid, Elves and so on.

Unban Tax + Vise + twist = no changes in legacy. I would take a bet on it if only WotC had the balls to unrestrict all those cards at once.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Tax could make Path to Exile and Co. really good.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

As a rule, and not to sound like too much of a dick, but I just tend to ignore at this point anyone saying anything about Land Tax potentially being playable, much less broken. It means that either

a) They haven't actually tested the card, or

b) They just don't understand the power level of Legacy.

Or both.

Life from the Loam is approximately a hundred times better than Land Tax. The card represents no threat at all. It's probably the least powerful card that's ever been banned in this format, including the old 1.5 cards like Berserk and Regrowth and even Braingeyser.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    As a rule, and not to sound like too much of a dick, but I just tend to ignore at this point anyone saying anything about Land Tax potentially being playable, much less broken. It means that either

Or both.
    Not only to agree with you, but if you replace 'Land tax' with 'Memory Jar', and the 'much less broken' with 'absolutely broken', you have my stance on Jar. I can't take people seriously when they entertain Jar not being busted in legacy.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post

Or both.

Life from the Loam is approximately a hundred times better than Land Tax. The card represents no threat at all. It's probably the least powerful card that's ever been banned in this format, including the old 1.5 cards like Berserk and Regrowth and even Braingeyser.
    I still believe that the only reason Land Tax is still on the ban list is the time issue. Also, the only reason Dragon is still banned IMO is the random draws the combo generates.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Not only to agree with you, but if you replace 'Land tax' with 'Memory Jar', and the 'much less broken' with 'absolutely broken', you have my stance on Jar. I can't take people seriously when they entertain Jar not being busted in legacy.
    All of these posts are ignoring why I and others are posting cards like this. It gets fucking boring to just talk about "acceptable" cards all day long, especially when the arguments about those cards have happened approximately 32675475478 times already. I would MUCH rather think about what would happen if WOTC dropped a bomb like Jar on the format than the little that would likely happen if cards like Tax or Twist came off.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    All of these posts are ignoring why I and others are posting cards like this. It gets fucking boring to just talk about "acceptable" cards all day long, especially when the arguments about those cards have happened approximately 32675475478 times already. I would MUCH rather think about what would happen if WOTC dropped a bomb like Jar on the format than the little that would likely happen if cards like Tax or Twist came off.
    It is a nice thought exercise, sure. But in the same post to list a bunch of cards you'd like to see unbanned then claim you'd "like to see desire come off too, but it might be too powerful"... That implied to me you don't think cards on this unban list are too powerful. And I'd have to disagree with Jar being remotely safe. And that is where I am coming from.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

If there is too much of a blue-saturation within the coming months, would the idea of banning Mental Misstep be a good idea?

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    If there is too much of a blue-saturation within the coming months, would the idea of banning Mental Misstep be a good idea?
    WotC would never ban an answer card (drain isn't an answer card, it's an engine). If anything they'll ban SnT or Brainstorm. Especially if next week Hive mind continue to place in tournaments WotC will cry all over and ban SnT because it make design space "narrower" ("wee i can't design anymore a 15 mana creature that win the game, how fucking bad!" maybe using an hardcast clause next time? so zzz).

Also we are still waiting for Bad Tax and Bad Vise, thx.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

More unbannings, less bannings, I say. Mana Vault, Earthcraft, etc.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    More unbannings, less bannings, I say. Mana Vault, Earthcraft, etc.
    Vault is too good, see the thread of "unban decklist challenge".

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Vault is too good, see the thread of "unban decklist challenge".
    *Yawn* Until the card is unbanned, we'll never know if it is actually "too good." Grim Monolith and Metalworker haven't turned the format upside down. Otherwise, we have no precedent for Vault as it has been banned for the entire existence of the format.
    Lord of the Chalice

Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    No.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

*Yawn* Until the card is unbanned, we'll never know if it is actually "too good." Grim Monolith and Metalworker haven't turned the format upside down. Otherwise, we have no precedent for Vault as it has been banned for the entire existence of the format.
    A decklist that is actually too strong is pretty good evidence. Of course, if you prefer theorycrafting, that's ok too.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

A decklist that is actually too strong is pretty good evidence. Of course, if you prefer theorycrafting, that's ok too.
    Even if such a decklist exists, whether it is "too strong" or not would be based on subjective criteria. For example, saying that ANT with Mana Vault shits all over zoo is irrelevant, as ANT without it already does so. You would need to test the deck against all of its bad matchups - if they all of a sudden became positive, then the card is indeed a problem. I actually might do this myself at some point with various Storm decks - Mana Vault, Mind's Desire, Jar, etc, running whatever deck it was against a gaunlet of Team America, Dreadstill, Tempo Threshold, MUD or Chalice Aggro, and Merfolk (the latter for the "coin flip" matchup).
    Lord of the Chalice

Wizards should just print fixed versions of banned cards, such as Survival of the Fittest where you exile a card from your hand instead of discarding it (which kills Ooze combo, Retainers combo, Vengevine), or a mix between Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor and Grim Tutor, using the worst of all three (Sorcery that costs BB and 3 life and puts a card on top of your library). If Grim Tutor sucks, and Demonic Tutor is broken, then a topdeck 2-mana tutor that costs life should be OK on power-level. Perhaps even Necroptence that costs BBBB or Balance that costs 1WW would be nice.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Even if such a decklist exists, whether it is "too strong" or not would be based on subjective criteria. For example, saying that ANT with Mana Vault shits all over zoo is irrelevant, as ANT without it already does so. You would need to test the deck against all of its bad matchups - if they all of a sudden became positive, then the card is indeed a problem. I actually might do this myself at some point with various Storm decks - Mana Vault, Mind's Desire, Jar, etc, running whatever deck it was against a gaunlet of Team America, Dreadstill, Tempo Threshold, MUD or Chalice Aggro, and Merfolk (the latter for the "coin flip" matchup).
    I dunno if everyone here lately is purposely trolling or high as robbie williams, but what you're saying has already been done. Not every card has been tested obviously, and testing isn't perfect since it ignore the shift in the meta, however that's a starting point and go beyond the usual "OMG UNBAN OMG".

Also i'd like you to avoid assuming that i'm retard with that Zoo vs AnT and whatsnot, thanks.

EDIT: i see you've even posted in that topic, so i'm not sure anymore what to do of this conversation.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpoe View Post
    Wizards should just print fixed versions of banned cards, such as Survival of the Fittest where you exile a card from your hand instead of discarding it (which kills Ooze combo, Retainers combo, Vengevine),
    Fauna Shaman
    Green Sun's Zenith

or a mix between Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor and Grim Tutor, using the worst of all three (Sorcery that costs BB and 3 life and puts a card on top of your library). If Grim Tutor sucks, and Demonic Tutor is broken, then a topdeck 2-mana tutor that costs life should be OK on power-level.
    Cruel Tutor

Perhaps even Necroptence that costs BBBB or Balance that costs 1WW would be nice.
    Necrologia
    Restore Balance

West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Not every card has been tested obviously, and testing isn't perfect since it ignore the shift in the meta, however that's a starting point and go beyond the usual "OMG UNBAN OMG".

Also i'd like you to avoid assuming that i'm retard with that Zoo vs AnT and whatsnot, thanks.

EDIT: i see you've even posted in that topic, so i'm not sure anymore what to do of this conversation.
    You answered your own question with the first line - not every card has been tested, and they likely haven't been tested against the right decks. I wasn't attempting to make you look like a retard (and apologize if I came off that way), that was just the first example that popped into my head - any deck will seem absurd if you test it against an already awesome matchup.

@ Rukcus: I don't think Necro and Balance can be printed at reasonable costs - their effects are just too absurd (Remember Yawgmoth's Bargain? That's when they tried to "fix" Necro).
    Last edited by Admiral_Arzar; 06-14-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Avoid double post.
    Lord of the Chalice

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

@ Rukcus: I don't think Necro and Balance can be printed at reasonable costs - their effects are just too absurd (Remember Yawgmoth's Bargain? That's when they tried to "fix" Necro).
    Well, to be fair, by "fixing it" they made it better. "Pay 1 life: Draw a card" is, i'm sure you'll agree, much better than "Pay 1 life: remove the top card of your library from the game and put it into your hand at the beginning of the next end step." While obviously 3 mana is much easier to get to than 6 even if it's more color intense, the effect is much more efficient at enabling combo to win right then and there.

Would Necro that actually delays the draw at 3BBB or 4BB be broken? If you're hardcasting it? Who knows, I'm inclined to say no. But people would find ways of cheating it in, and at that point it'd probably be less balanced.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Like we need more reasons to make Show and Tell broken...

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    Would Necro that actually delays the draw at 3BBB or 4BB be broken? If you're hardcasting it? Who knows, I'm inclined to say no. But people would find ways of cheating it in, and at that point it'd probably be less balanced.
    Swamp, Ritual x2, Lotus Petal - Necro @ 6 mana. Not any more broken than Ad Nauseum, but any amount of black mana in the cost won't matter. These decks will already be maxing out Ritual effects either way.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information