View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 562 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 624625125525585595605615625635645655665726126621062 ... LastLast
Results 11,221 to 11,240 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    So does everybody else. That's the problem. 56 card format for the win.
    Serious question (that I expect to be ridiculed for...)

Do you enjoy playing or watching Vintage?

The nature of 'Eternal' formats is that they will typically, over time, become more and more narrow because the cards that are 'the best ???? ever" are harder and harder to supplant. It's been pretty shocking to see what's happened over the last decade in Vintage, because there is actually more Diversity at a given event now that I can remember, even though a huge portion of the format is effectively required to run the same 10-12 cards.

Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy' as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. I'm going to be frank - this is an idiotic metric. I've been playing Limited for 2 Decades now, whether a casual, I just bought a starter-kind, or a sanctioned format-kind, and more often than not, every time I see a card that I used to love playing in Limited, it is so far from being playable in any constructed format ever that it's laughable to think that a format is somehow defined by having a huge percentage of playables.

I get it - there are people who experience emotional anguish every time someone casts Brainstorm against them. Or more often than not, when someone does it at a table in a room they aren't even in, since they don't actually play anymore because of the trauma the 1CMC Instant has caused them. But, to be blunt, the same thing happens every single time someone casts Ancestral Recall in Vintage - someone is playing a card that is head-and-shoulders better than the rest of the cards in their deck. I enjoy that people cast Preordain, not because they necessarily want to, but because it's the closest analogue to the best card in their deck that they can legally play.

Whether anyone wants to accept it or not, Blue was traditionally the color that was given the strongest effects in the game for many, many years. The fact that so many decks play with Blue cards is an intrinsic function of the games LEGACY. And the continual gnashing of teeth about it has been a Religion for many people for years now.

So, fine. Prepare your sermons, fire up the congregation, and continue to run this thread into the rut that requires special rules on this site to handle.

As for me and my house, I really just wish they'd unban Imperial Seal.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I've actually discussed this quite a lot. I don't think Seal would be anywhere near as crazy as it first seems.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I've actually discussed this quite a lot. I don't think Seal would be anywhere near as crazy as it first seems.
    I think you're mistaken.

Seal would make storm and (fast) combo decks omnipresent. That card + Probe makes lines so easy to deduce for a decent storm player.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    I think you're mistaken.

Seal would make storm and (fast) combo decks omnipresent. That card + Probe makes lines so easy to deduce for a decent storm player.
    I'm not convinced. Personal Tutor is legal and isn't played in Storm or Show and Tell decks despite finding half of the combo in the latter and everything except LED in the former. I'd be open to seeing it unbanned.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by M+1 View Post
    Maybe reevaluate your life, or relationship with the game in general?
    Keep he personal things for PMs. However... yes, I'm in a MtG hiatus ever since Treasure Cruise was printed, as the card reinforced my opinion that the game is turning to shit. But I still got a set of Savannahs and Heaths in case something happens.

@ Lemnear + Starscream: I'm not the one who defends cards based on his/her gusto, neither do I care about specific "decks" like e.g. "Miracles" or whatever. Also, this discusion is pointless, it's not like anybodyin DCI/Wotc cares, so you may argue however you wish to (or not), and nothing changes until the field will be 95% saturated with Brainstorm decks #enjoytheUSD500blueduals #sevenpeopleweeklies #roboticgameplay

It's availability would prevent it from being omnipresent in decks as well. Though...I'd have to buy another 3 seals.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    #enjoytheUSD500blueduals
    At lest you are finally being honest about what drives your vitriol and blind hate.
    Last edited by Dice_Box; 05-14-2015 at 07:00 AM.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    But I still got a set of Savannahs and Heaths in case something happens.
    At least you have kept the good stuff.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    Serious question (that I expect to be ridiculed for...)

Do you enjoy playing or watching Vintage?

The nature of 'Eternal' formats is that they will typically, over time, become more and more narrow because the cards that are 'the best ???? ever" are harder and harder to supplant. It's been pretty shocking to see what's happened over the last decade in Vintage, because there is actually more Diversity at a given event now that I can remember, even though a huge portion of the format is effectively required to run the same 10-12 cards.

Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy' as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. I'm going to be frank - this is an idiotic metric.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

"Every mechanic has one busted card."

There are literally zero busted cards for their Mechanics in Dragons of Tarkir.
    Khans has Cruise as an OP card, the other four mechanics had zero. Dig is good, but not broken. It costs 2 and is bad in multiples.
    Convoke in M15 had zero.
    There are no playable Devotion, Heroic, Inspired, or Bestow cards.
    Detain, Extort, Battalion, Populate, Cipher, Overload, Evolve, Unleash, Scavenge, and Bloodrush see zero Legacy play.

Apart from Cruise and Dig, we've seen no card with a mechanic that really breaks into Legacy since Miracles. That's nearly 3-years, and Terminus isn't exactly opressive, just really good, like Delver, or Stoneforge.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    It's been pretty shocking to see what's happened over the last decade in Vintage, because there is actually more Diversity at a given event now that I can remember, even though a huge portion of the format is effectively required to run the same 10-12 cards.
    The last thing Legacy should become is Vintage 2.0, a format that has been either dead or not very popular for God knows how long.

Vintage is far from being a format for everybody. Not everybody is a fan of Workshop, Dredge and different "Shades of Blue" (where combo, control and aggro share a good chunk of the same core). That's why it's doing just "okay" on MODO, despite key Vintage cards being comparably dirt cheap online.

But to come back on topic: Would it be still as "diverse" if Brainstorm and Ponder weren't restricted? I remember some doomsayers calling for the end of the format back then after their restrictions. I see parallels with the same repeating discussion in this thread where some people call for the end of the format with tons of people ragequitting if their "Pillar of the Format" Brainstorm is gone while others argue that the format would become more diverse without it in the long run.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Vintage just has not been very accessible. It's not dead and it's popular now.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by YamiJoey View Post
    Terminus isn't exactly opressive, just really good

It's the single most opressive card in Legacy.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

It's the single most opressive card in Legacy.
    ...for Elves. Not for everyone.

And just sayin...Miracles would not exist without Brainstorm. Terminus sits upon an artificial pedestal.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The last thing Legacy should become is Vintage 2.0, a format that has been either dead or not very popular for God knows how long.

Vintage is far from being a format for everybody. Not everybody is a fan of Workshop, Dredge and different "Shades of Blue" (where combo, control and aggro share a good chunk of the same core). That's why it's doing just "okay" on MODO, despite key Vintage cards being comparably dirt cheap online.

But to come back on topic: Would it be still as "diverse" if Brainstorm and Ponder weren't restricted? I remember some doomsayers calling for the end of the format back then after their restrictions. I see parallels with the same repeating discussion in this thread where some people call for the end of the format with tons of people ragequitting if their "Pillar of the Format" Brainstorm is gone while others argue that the format would become more diverse without it in the long run.
    The format would clearly become much more diverse without Brainstorm and Ponder.

The tragedy of the blue shell is that it has invalidated a huge number of cards that are powerful enough in a vacuum to play in Legacy but not powerful or synergistic enough to get one of the limited slots available in the blue shell. It has taken a few cards that invalidate dozens of lists and promoted them to dominance, Terminus being the prime example but Delver, TNN and even Tarmogoyf belonging in that group.

The beauty of Magic: The Gathering is that it is a configurable game in which players fight over an often chaotic board state, attempting to impose their plan for the game on the opponent. Legacy is rapidly merging into a stagnant game in which a few strategies progressively dominate and most are invalidated by the strongest cards in the few that dominate. The blue shell is what is causing that to happen. It makes the most powerful cards in Magic into sure things, reducing the need for synergy in the process since you might need a second option to carry your plan through but you will rarely need a third. Synergistic shells that rely on many cards are inherently inferior to a shell that can always find one of the best cards in the format when it needs it. You can't win consistently putting your second or third best option out against the opponents first or second. You can't win when the opponent can easily find and use a single spell that invalidates most of your strategy.

The power level of the cards has never been higher than it is right now. That's not the main problem. The ability to find the cards you need when you need them has also never been higher. That's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    ...for Elves. Not for everyone.

And just sayin...Miracles would not exist without Brainstorm. Terminus sits upon an artificial pedestal.
    +1

Scroll Rack Miracles might not be the worst but nobody has incentive to play a card like rack with BS legal.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I can only agree.

Vintage suffers from the cost and accesibility of cards since nearly a decade and the rage-restrictions at the end of the secind Gush-Era hit tournament attendence with a sledgehammer as it narrowed the format more than it opened it up and turned the format into Workshop vs. Dredge vs. Anti-Workshop for years. WotC gave a fuck about the Restricted-List and format

Problem is: We (pretty much) KNOW that Miracles and decks like SneakShow would vanish w/o Brainstorm/Ponder; We KNOW that Vintage took a real hit in popularity and ACTUAL tournament attendence; We do NOT KNOW if new decks emerge in Legacy if Brainstorm/Ponder were banned. I don't see anyone arguing with them "ragequitting" at all.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

I just can't believe there's 562 pages in this thread that are truly anchored back to a single card. I randomly selected a generous sample size of pages and found something having to do with Brainstorm on every single one.

With that in mind:

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

The format would clearly become much more diverse without Brainstorm and Ponder.
    No fucking evidence for that. Look at Vintage to see the opposite happened.

The tragedy of the blue shell is that it has invalidated a huge number of cards that are powerful enough in a vacuum to play in Legacy but not powerful or synergistic enough to get one of the limited slots available in the blue shell. It has taken a few cards that invalidate dozens of lists and promoted them to dominance, Terminus being the prime example but Delver, TNN and even Tarmogoyf belonging in that group.
    "The best cards invalidate suboptimal ones!" Wow ... You don't say?! Should we go down the road of Modern and keep banning the "best cards" every 6 months?

The beauty of Magic: The Gathering is that it is a configurable game in which players fight over an often chaotic board state, attempting to impose their plan for the game on the opponent. Legacy is rapidly merging into a stagnant game in which a few strategies progressively dominate and most are invalidated by the strongest cards in the few that dominate.
    "The best cards invalidate suboptimal ones!" ... Take: Two! Action!

You can't win consistently putting your second or third best option out against the opponents first or second.
    Captain Obvious delivers: "The best cards invalidate suboptimal ones!"

The power level of the cards has never been higher than it is right now. That's not the main problem. The ability to find the cards you need when you need them has also never been higher. That's the problem.
    Congratz! You described the essence of an Eternal Format in which time brings new cards but never takes old cards away and the increasing options also increase powerlevel by itself. If that's a problem for you despite being the very nature of an Eternal Format, switch to Standard.

Join us at Facebook!

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Problem is: We (pretty much) KNOW that Miracles and decks like SneakShow would vanish w/o Brainstorm/Ponder;
    You make it sound like that would be a bad thing, considering Terminus and S&T are two of the main oppressive forces in the format stifling innovation.

Thread Information