View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 565 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 654655155555615625635645655665675685695756156651065 ... LastLast
Results 11,281 to 11,300 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Mar 2013
    Bury, Manchester, England

Re: All B/R update speculation.

It doesn't even say "Draw" on it. Must be bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    If you pay me or give me some benefits, I might consider writing reports.
    Can I pay you for not posting in this thread?
    The conspiracy goes deeper than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    That's.... that's not how deckbuilding works.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Bannings like that make the modern ban list look respectable and the edh ban list sensible
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by testing32 View Post
    3/4 are combo, when did that last happen?

I think Dig has a chance of making an exit.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    3/4 are combo, when did that last happen?
    I count 2 Storm, 1 Reanimator and 3 S&T variant in the Top 16.

There were also 5(!) Miracles.

That Top 16 isn't exactly a healthy one.

Banning Dig would be a start.

Quote Originally Posted by testing32 View Post
    Can't remember a spell ever 64/64ing. Truly breaking new ground in ubiquity, complete staleness and brokenness.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I count 2 Storm, 1 Reanimator and 3 S&T variant in the Top 16.

There were also 5(!) Miracles.

That Top 16 isn't exactly a healthy one.

Banning Dig would be a start.
    Why ban a card with 1/4 the usage? This has reached full retard. Ponder was 7 away from a perfect 64, it is far better and versitile than Dig, and Dig is good.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Why ban a card with 1/4 the usage? This has reached full retard. Ponder was 7 away from a perfect 64, it is far better and versitile than Dig, and Dig is good.
    It has to be intentional at this point. WotC wants a blue format to distinguish from Modern. Blowback from the reserve list reconsider about 5 years ago.

Mar 2007

Why ban a card with 1/4 the usage?
    Because I'm realistic. Erik Lauer is lazy as fuck and that's the ban with the least resistance.

Besides, Dig is run by 50+% of the meta, at least on MTGO.

Because I'm realistic. Erik Lauer is lazy as fuck and that's the ban with the least resistance.

It's not laziness. He's doing what he's been told to do.

If he's not under instructions on this, then yeah it's something else and not good but I'm betting the marketing people have the future fixed firmly as Draft, Standard and Modern and they really want Legacy to become Vintage Redux. Visible as the high end but not at all accessible to the masses and hopefully declining over time.

BS 16/16 at an SCG event
    2 Combo A
    1 Combo B
    3 Combo C

5 Control A
    1 Control B

2 Tempo A
    2 Tempo B

Looks fine to me.

I think the biggest argument for banning Dig Through Time over Brainstorm is that Brainstorm (along with Ponder and Force of Will) is a card that can enable a whole lot of different strategies, whereas Dig Through Time is a card that's far more specific in terms of what it enables.

Another thing to consider is this: Brainstorm is a heck of a lot more popular among the playerbase than Dig Through Time. I don't mean that in the sense that "fewer people will mind it if Dig Through Time is gone" but in the sense that if Brainstorm gets banned and then Dig Through Time still needs a banning after that (Brainstorm is, after all, part of the reason it's good), it'll look really bad to have banned a popular card to avoid banning a card that ended up needing banning anyway. I'm not averse to a Brainstorm ban, but I feel that could be a real concern.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I think the biggest argument for banning Dig Through Time over Brainstorm is that Brainstorm (along with Ponder and Force of Will) is a card that can enable a whole lot of different strategies, whereas Dig Through Time is a card that's far more specific in terms of what it enables.

Another thing to consider is this: Brainstorm is a heck of a lot more popular among the playerbase than Dig Through Time. I don't mean that in the sense that "fewer people will mind it if Dig Through Time is gone" but in the sense that if Brainstorm gets banned and then Dig Through Time still needs a banning after that (Brainstorm is, after all, part of the reason it's good), it'll look really bad to have banned a popular card to avoid banning a card that ended up needing banning anyway. I'm not averse to a Brainstorm ban, but I feel that could be a real concern.
    That's what I meant with the "ban with the least resistance".

That still doesn't solve the problem that Brainstorm is ridiculously overpowered, though.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

That still doesn't solve the problem that Brainstorm is ridiculously overpowered, though.
    Wrong. Brainstorm helps to find overpowered business spells such as Terminus which suppresses creature based non-tempo aggro, non-blue midrange stuff.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    Wrong. Brainstorm helps to find overpowered business spells such as Terminus which suppresses creature based non-tempo aggro, non-blue midrange stuff.
    Or provide discard protection.

Besides, by that logic, Demonic Tutor isn't overpowered because it only helps to find overpowered spells.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

I suspect that if Dig isn't a problem now then it would be with Brainstorm and Ponder banned. Weakening the cheap card selection options just makes Dig that much more powerful relative to what's available, and I don't think that Sylvan Library, Top, Standstill, Ancestral Visions, or Preordain+Opt/Serum Visions/Sleight is likely to compete effectively with Thought Scour+Mental Note+Snapcaster Mage+Dig. We already saw something similar during the late Cruise era and were luckily spared the worst of it. Without Brainstorm and Ponder I don't think other CA/CQ engines would be able to keep up.

Always the same discussion... Brainstorm is a great card that rewards good players and punishes bad players, that's all. If they ban the brainstorm, people who used to complain about Brainstorm will complain about Ponder or Sensei's Divining Top, and the "please ban X card because it's too played" discussion will never end.

All interesting table games have some playable items that are better than others, so what? That's part of the game's identity. I don't see anybody complaining because in Monopoly the last streets are too good, or complaining because in Chess the queen is too good.

If you don't like Brainstorm being played, you don't like Legacy at all, and maybe you should just play modern.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Always the same discussion... Brainstorm is a great card that rewards good players and punishes bad players, that's all. If they ban the brainstorm, people who used to complain about Brainstorm will complain about Ponder or Sensei's Divining Top, and the "please ban X card because it's too played" discussion will never end.

All interesting table games have some playable items that are better than others, so what? That's part of the game's identity. I don't see anybody complaining because in Monopoly the last streets are too good, or complaining because in Chess the queen is too good.

If you don't like Brainstorm being played, you don't like Legacy at all, and maybe you should just play modern.
    You are probably not aware but you are also just repeating one the same irrelevant arguments that people keep brining up time and again. Saying that people would just go on and complain about the other cantrips in the format is nothing short of ridiculous seeing how Brainstorm allows you to play highly situational cards with high impact; something that all other cantrips are very bad at or at least require some building around such as Top. And this comes from someone who doesn't mind whether Brainstorm stays legal or is banned...your "reasoning" just makes anyone who really wants to discuss things open-minded look really bad when talking about Brainstorm.

Also, when was the last time they released that Chess expansion pack?
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Or provide discard protection.

Besides, by that logic, Demonic Tutor isn't overpowered because it only helps to find overpowered spells.
    This is not my logic because of reasons that were explained extensively in this thread.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Thread Information