View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 574 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 744745245645705715725735745755765775785846246741074 ... LastLast
Results 11,461 to 11,480 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    No.

You'll notice these other cards require a lot of support in order to do anything. Oath of Druids is a one man show. It has other cards that make it nicer, but it does it's thing all on it's own.

Are you referring to Show and Tell...?
    Earthcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2010
    Amsterdam

Brainstorm is obviously bannable from power level perspective, but I can't see it happening (and I wouldn't be happy either). Power level isn't everything; there is a reason Workshop and Bazaar are unrestricted in vintage but Library is restricted. Brainstorm, Fetchlands, Wasteland and Force of Will are, to me, not really discussable for bans, despite their strength.

Now, the format is very blue, partially due to Brainstorm itself. But color concerns aren't really important (and pretty hard to fix since the broken blue creatures got printed) to me. Format diversity is. In my eyes the only thing the format needs is an actual aggro deck; the other archetypes are present. With that in mind it would seem interesting to get rid of the current Miracles engine, as that was the nail in the coffin for aggro. Combined with potential time concerns, I'd say that top is a fine ban, despite liking the card myself too. I doubt combo would run rampant without miracles, as you can still combine enough angles of attack against it; discard/counters/manadenial/gravehate (BUG Delver) or counters/manadenial/hatebears (in UWR variants for example) are examples of this.

Furthermore Wizards seems to be proud of keeping the B&R list "compact", meaning that a card only comes off when one is put on so they have some safe ubans in reserve. And there are several cards on the list that can potentially come off.

For this to happen, more cards would have to be banned. Dig Through Time is a card that I wouldn't mind seeing banned, since TC got the axe (both could stay IMO, but if TC went DTT may as well go). The main problem with banning DTT is that if you also ban SDT control will have a problem. In addition I'd love Show and Tell to be banned because it's a herp-derp deck, compared to more "interesting" combo decks such as Elves and Storm, but that's obviously not really a strong argument.

What can come off? Black Vise, Mind Twist, Earthcraft and Frantic Search all seem quite safe to me. The first two are pretty lame if they end up strong, but I don't think they'll be that strong. Goblin Recruiter is an interesting card, with its logistical issues probably preventing a comeback. If SDT and DTT are both banned control will need something else; but I'm not sure if we want a card like Drain or Library. I don't think we're getting Survival or Misstep back. I do think there are some other combo related cards that could potentially be fine. Imperial Seal, for example, is not that great, being sorcery speed. The cost could well be a factor though. I also don't think certain engines (Windfall and Bargain f.e.) are as evil as some people think, but I doubt we'll be seeing them.

So we'll wish for:
    + Earthcraft
    + Frantic Search
    - Sensei's Divining Top
    - Show and Tell

But I expect:
    + Black Vise
    - Dig Through Time
    37th GP Ams'11 | 80th GP Stras '13 | 5th BoM Paris '13 | 12th GP Lille '15

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by JamieW89 View Post
    But I expect:
    - Dig Through Time
    I'm still not sure the rationalization of this is, but ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Earthcraft
    Earthcraft isn't a 3 cmc sorcery speed combo enabler. It doesn't fit the criteria of their statement.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

It's actually 4 cmc.

The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

I would submit that if you think Squirrel's Nest is THE reason why Earthcraft is on the ban list then you should think of how the card is powerful beyond that. I don't think that is the primary reason, it's just the obvious one.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I would submit that Gaea's Cradle is more powerful than Earthcraft on mana producing measurements.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

How could a Legacy overrun by squirrel tokens off of a two card combo be more broken than what we have right now? Elves kills on turn 3 if not disrupted. How exactly could Earthcraft + Squirrel Nest do better than that? And that's the criteria we should be looking at. If it ain't faster to the kill with creatures than Elves is it ain't broken unless it is somehow impervious to disruption.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Squirrel Nest is the main (and probably only) reason Earthcraft is banned. It's surely on the more powerful side of the average power level in Legacy, but that doesn't really mean a lot.

There is no real reason not to unban Squirrel Nest.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    It's actually 4 cmc.
    Dammit, I always get those two mixed up. Earthcraft is 1G. Sorry Enchantress Guy.

Either way, the presence of Earthcraft on the ban list while Show & Tell is legal is nothing short of embarrassing. Actual Splinter Twin might be better than Earthcraft combo now.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Dammit, I always get those two mixed up. Earthcraft is 1G. Sorry Enchantress Guy.

Either way, the presence of Earthcraft on the ban list while Show & Tell is legal is nothing short of embarrassing. Actual Splinter Twin might be better than Earthcraft combo now.
    You also need some kind of acceleration (be it Exploration, a mana dork or whatever) to realistically kill on T4. Because otherwise, it goes like this:

T1: Land
    T2: Land, Earthcraft
    T3: Land, Squirrel Nest on tapped land
    T4: Create a bazillion squirrel tokens
    T5: Swing for lethal

An additional mana source speeds up the process one turn, but a T4 kill still isn't that great for a combo kill. Especially with Abrupt Decay in the format. Pithing Needle and Revoker on Earthcraft are also things to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    You also need some kind of acceleration (be it Exploration, a mana dork or whatever) to realistically kill on T4. Because otherwise, it goes like this:

T1: Land
    T2: Land, Earthcraft
    T3: Land, Squirrel Nest on tapped land
    T4: Create a bazillion squirrel tokens
    T5: Swing for lethal

An additional mana source speeds up the process one turn, but a T4 kill still isn't that great for a combo kill. Especially with Abrupt Decay in the format. Pithing Needle and Revoker on Earthcraft are also things to consider.
    I'm guessing the way it goes these days is:

T1: Forest, Utopia Sprawl
    T2: Land, Earthcraft, extra mana available to play around Daze
    T3: Land, Squirrel Nest, Earthcraft hit by Abrupt Decay with Squirrel Nest on the stack

But that's just my jaded view of things.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

That's why you play some number of Sterling Grove in your Enchantment filled deck.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

It would possibly be played in enchantress, how much better that is then RIP + Helm I'm not sure (you do get to play replenish though)

I predict it will be unbanned just in time for the 2020 U.S. Presidential elections
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    It would possibly be played in enchantress, how much better that is then RIP + Helm I'm not sure (you do get to play replenish though)

I predict it will be unbanned just in time for the 2020 U.S. Presidential elections
    It would be played in Enchantress. I have two signed Korean Earthcrafts in my Enchantress deck right now, waiting for the day that it's unbanned. Turning Argothian into a mana dork with haste speeds the deck up by at least two turns. It might even be a tier 1.5 deck with Earthcraft unbanned.

Squirrel Net is indeed the only reason Earthcraft is banned. In fact, Earthcraft's restriction in Vintage is one of the restrictions (along with Entomb, if I remember correctly) that led to separating Type 1 and 1.5 into Vintage and Legacy.

That's why you play some number of Sterling Grove in your Enchantment filled deck.
    Then it's a 3 card combo with an extra turn involved. Legacy's ultimate turn is 3 right now. That would fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    Then it's a 3 card combo with an extra turn involved. Legacy's ultimate turn is 3 right now. That would fit right in.
    It's a 2 card combo with potential protection built in. (;
    - Albert Einstein

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Vise would see 0 play in Legacy. I'll gladly paypal 10$ to anyone quoting me if Vise get unbanned and get more than 4 copies in the next 4 SGCs T8 after his unbanning.

Earthcraft is another combo piece in enchantress that could potentially make the deck more annoying but wouldn't push it to T1 status still. So i don't see why anyone would be against unbanning it when we have SnT and Brainstorm in the format.

Twist is borderline playable , but slightly more playable than Vise. Same condition for Vise, but make that 8 copies in the 4 SGC T8 next to its unbanning.

Bargain cheated by SnT is comparable to Grizzly off SnT. Rituals into Bargain is much more viable than Grizzly off rituals, and probably better than AdN off rituals cause you can run 4 Bargains and 4 FoWs in your deck, even if it cost 1 more and it's sorcery. I'm not sure how good that would be, but i'd bet it wouldn't break the format and it's surely a more interesting combo deck compared to omnitell anyway.

I agree with the guys that we'll probably see DTT banned and Vise unbanned and some hundreds of words spent on how Vise is unfun and uninteractive but could help the format combat the blue decks, then proceed to see the card never played just like Land Trash which WotC said they'd never unban because of how "unfun and uninteractive and promote bad plays" ok, because the rest of the format is all made by fun and interactive cards plz.

I'd love to test Vise in a RUG Delver or UR Delver type of deck.

Cheers

Apr 2007
    São Paulo - Brazil

Anyone thinks that Fastbond really needs to be banned?

Since Legacy don't play stuff like Gush, I see it as a glorified Manabond for the Lands deck, but wouldn't make it much better than it already is (But better, yes, I know).

Thread Information