View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 586 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 864865365765825835845855865875885895905966366861086 ... LastLast
Results 11,701 to 11,720 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Fool: "That aggro lists can't beat Miracles is pretty well established at this point:"

Infect: 8-9
    Jeskai Delver: 3-4-1
    Maverick: 7-2
    Sultai Delver: 20-24-4
    Temur Delver: 13-17-3

It seems to me that Delver decks (maybe they are not aggro decks, like shardless is not control?) CAN beat miracles.
    Delver decks are not aggro decks. They're tempo decks. So yeah, aggro can't beat Miracles. Though to be fair, aggro can't beat much of anything anymore.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    I do not think so. You have a lot of options with Tinker, Bargain and Will in storm, crazy other brews with Balance (which I really think is only effective when you have 4) and some other toys.
    Oh, no, definitely. My plan would likely be Flash. But I'd be figuratively willing to stake dosh on MUD being the field favorite after you account for the people just bringing whatever they have on-hand.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    Yeah, this just seems like a totally reasonable format. Shops is probably the "right" deck, but I'd have a hard time passing on 4 Fastbond, 4 Gush, 4 Scroll.
    ...4 Minds Desire....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Delver decks are not aggro decks. They're tempo decks. So yeah, aggro can't beat Miracles. Though to be fair, aggro can't beat much of anything anymore.
    Delver decks are kind of the definition of "aggro-control" decks, and some Pro Players (like Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa) even argue that Legacy Delver decks are the definition of "aggro" and not even "aggro-control":

From http://www.channelfireball.com/artic...ayhouse-aggro/ :

A third approach is the Aggro with Disruption - those decks do not have any reach, but they have answers, and they can stop the opponent from doing whatever it is they want to do. There are two main forms of disruption - counterspells and discard. Aggro with Discard has fallen a little out of favor since Suicide Black became bad, and now the closest we have to that is Jund, though Jund is not really a pure aggro deck. In the counterspells department, we have a lot more examples - UW humans with Mana Leak is one. The place you’ll find the most Aggro with Disruption is not Standard, though, it’s Legacy - take Caleb’s deck from the last GP:

[deck]4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Taiga
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Tarmogoyf
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Chain Lightning
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    1 Forked Bolt
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Ponder
    1 Predict
    4 Stifle
    1 Thought Scour[/deck]

This deck might look like aggro-control, but it really isn’t - it’s an aggro deck. “But PV, it has counterspells, card drawing and removal, why isn’t it aggro-control?” - Because you don’t ever use those elements to control the game! You see, terminology is not actually important - you don’t get match points for correctly identifying what a deck is called. If you want to call any deck with creatures and counterspells aggro-control, be my guest - as long as it makes sense to you, it’s fine. What you do get points for, however, is playing your deck correctly, and this deck will not play like an aggro-control deck, it will play like aggro. Every control element that you have you’re using to kill them. You don’t want the game to go any long, you want it finished as soon as possible, because, much like aggro, your cards get a lot worse in the late game. In fact, I’d say Standard Delver itself is already on the verge of being an aggro deck to me, since it shares a lot of those traits (though ultimately I think it has enough control in it that it plays like aggro-control, otherwise nothing would be aggro-control).

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    crazy other brews with Balance (which I really think is only effective when you have 4)
    Tell me how and you will get a Golden Ticket. You could unrestrict it in Vintage without much effect, but even considering such a hard-to-build-around-yet-still-infinite-variance-attached-to-it in a world with consistent t1 kills and Shops... yeah, get the Golden Ticket.
    Humphrey is always correct.

Quote Originally Posted by dunk View Post
    Tell me how and you will get a Golden Ticket. You could unrestrict it in Vintage without much effect, but even considering such a hard-to-build-around-yet-still-infinite-variance-attached-to-it in a world with consistent t1 kills and Shops... yeah, get the Golden Ticket.
    We're getting off-topic here, but I was wondering how strong leyline combo would be as a metagame choice in that format, and that kind of deck could do all sorts of nasty stuff with turn 1 balance. On reflection, I'm not sure that anything is going to be able to compete with academy decks that can use 4x Tinker, Memory Jar and Windfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I feel like Merfolk does just fine against Miracles, it just gets wrecked by other aggros in the format right now .
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    My little spies tell me there's a "banless" Legacy tournament at GP Chiba this weekend. Not sure what exactly that means, but it should be fun to see the results of it
    Does anyone have a link to those?

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    I feel like Merfolk does just fine against Miracles, it just gets wrecked by other aggros in the format right now .
    I'm also not sure why we're conflating "aggro being a tier 1 archetype" and "a healthy format".

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    I'm also not sure why we're conflating "aggro being a tier 1 archetype" and "a healthy format".
    I guess is depends on how one defines Aggro, but there are decks that are more aggro then combo/control that are strong so aggro should meat the health levels for most players.

Though legacy is a format where you need to be able to interact on more levels then just creature combat, so decks like most delver lists are probably what aggro NEEDS to look like in legacy, and I guess some people do not like that "drop creatures, turn them sideways and nothing else" decks are not strong, because they do not meet the player interaction requirements of Legacy.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by sjmcc13 View Post

Though legacy is a format where you need to be able to interact on more levels then just creature combat, so decks like most delver lists are probably what aggro NEEDS to look like in legacy, and I guess some people do not like that "drop creatures, turn them sideways and nothing else" decks are not strong, because they do not meet the player interaction requirements of Legacy.
    I don't think so. The point of playing aggro was never to beat combo, that should be well understood. The point of playing it was to beat up on blue decks that were geared more towards beating combo and/or each other. The problems with the format have a lot to do with blue decks getting to the point where they could beat aggro AS WELL AS combo. Thus, the part of blue predator is now filled primarily by fringe prison decks like Lands and MUD (and of course DnT, which is widely considered a control deck despite its high creature count).
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    I don't think so. The point of playing aggro was never to beat combo, that should be well understood.
    The history of this thread and recent posts disagree with the sound logic of your post. Haven't you read all those complaints about only blue/black being able to meaningfully interact with T1/2 combo decks and the talk about S&T over the last year(s)? If the crowd in question would accept that combo is a bad matchup for (linear) Aggro, we wouldn't have the sheer Volume of discussion, but focus on the following matter:

The point of playing it was to beat up on blue decks that were geared more towards beating combo and/or each other. The problems with the format have a lot to do with blue decks getting to the point where they could beat aggro AS WELL AS combo.
    Since the days of Tarmogoyf/CounterTop this idea is outdated imo. The whole history of blue midrange decks that followed after (Bant Countertop, Bant Aggro, etc.) and printings like SFM and TNN cemented the Position of blue decks being able to battle (linear) Aggro with tools which the later decks were unable to profit from equally and caused a decline of pure aggro since then. Miracles is the first full control deck since the days of Landstill which shaped the metagame around it's mayor presence and gave linear aggro a space to shine they did not have for years.

The discussed idea that the removal of Terminus would give BUG Delver and Shardless a better Miracles matchup (despite Vial.dec having a good Miracles matchup) shows how idiotic the discussion has become, if the goal has ever been to promote non-blue strategies in the first place. I honestly have the impression the whole discussion on Terminus harming non-blue decks is a trojan horse for Delver/blue midrange losing to a 1 mana Wrath they cannot Daze/Pierce properly.

Thus, the part of blue predator is now filled primarily by fringe prison decks like Lands and MUD (and of course DnT, which is widely considered a control deck despite its high creature count).
    Can we stop using the term "blue" as if it means anything? Your sentence gets really iffy depending if you read "blue" here in the context of Miracles, OmniTell, Storm, Delver or Blade decks for example and especially in regards to the historic circumstances why aggro was able to beat blue decks back in the day (sweepers were too slow, there were no creatures which made aggro/control or blue midrange playable) which are simply no longer the case and most Aggro decks these days have to pickup a tempo subtype to win against blue midrange (see Chalice, Thorn, Wasteland, Thalia, Flickerwisp, Port, Lodestone, Daze, etc.) or feature a combo finish
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Can we stop using the term "blue" as if it means anything? Your sentence gets really iffy depending if you read "blue" here in the context of Miracles, OmniTell, Storm, Delver or Blade decks for example and especially in regards to the historic circumstances why aggro was able to beat blue decks back in the day (sweepers were too slow, there were no creatures which made aggro/control or blue midrange playable) which are simply no longer the case and most Aggro decks these days have to pickup a tempo subtype to win against blue midrange (see Chalice, Thorn, Wasteland, Thalia, Flickerwisp, Port, Lodestone, Daze, etc.) or feature a combo finish
    I don't agree with the "blue doesn't mean anything" part, but the rest is good. You can speak of preying on "blue" in the context of decks like D&T, Merfolk, Painter, MUD that prey on the omnipresent cantrip engine and/or running Islands. But macro archetypes like aggro, tempo, midrange, combo etc. attack general weaknesses of other macro archetypes (or try to "go over the top" within theirs, ie. Elves+NicFit to Shardless/Jund, Reanimator/TinFins to Storm/Elves/Tide/S&Derp, BUG to RUG, etc.), not specific colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    I don't agree with the "blue doesn't mean anything" part, but the rest is good. You can speak of preying on "blue" in the context of decks like D&T, Merfolk, Painter, MUD that prey on the omnipresent cantrip engine and/or running Islands. But macro archetypes like aggro, tempo, midrange, combo etc. attack general weaknesses of other macro archetypes (or try to "go over the top" within theirs, ie. Elves+NicFit to Shardless/Jund, Reanimator/TinFins to Storm/Elves/Tide/S&Derp, BUG to RUG, etc.), not specific colors.
    I consider it a mayor difference if we talk about "blue" (and counterstrategies) in terms of "decks chaining cantrips" or about "running islands" (like Legend Miracles, Meerfolk, Sea Stompy, Aluren, Foodchain, etc.) in a general way and in regards to the role/potency of (linear) aggro in the respective matchups. You can't label Miracles, Blade, Delver and Storm together as "blue decks" in regards to how Vial Goblins fare against "blue decks today". We should seperate strickly here in my opinion and thats all I wanted to highlight in the discussion which is too dumbed down for my taste at times.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Jul 2013
    Texas

From Philipp Schönegger's Reddit Q&A. The question: "What are your thoughts on the dig through time based control decks like Golddigger?"

Answer (emphases mine):
    Dig Through Time based Control decks like Golddigger or Grixis have traditionally been simply inferior to Miracles due to one card. And that's Counterbalance. If Miracle didn't have Counterbalance, then there's no way on earth to ever win a match. I mean, a fast Entreat can win a game or two, but you cannot rely on that. When I'm playing against these decks, then all comes down to Counterbalance. Do I have it and manage to resolve it? Well, then this game is going to be very enjoyable (unless they have EE+Ruins) - should I not be able to find and/or resolve Balance in time, then a Dig Through Time Control deck is clearly favored against Miracles.

I mean, they're probably more entertaining to play, though they lack the cost/effect ratio of Balance+Terminus. These two cards just make Miracle work, make it flexible and fast enough to withstand the constant onslaught of a blisteringly fast format like Legacy. If the format was slower, then Dig Through Time (+ a way to deal with balance, like EE+Ruins) would be a better control deck. But this isn't the case. You need to wipe the board as soon as turn 2, which is about the same turn you want your balance-lock to be set up. Maybe I'll write an article on the fundamental turn in Legacy at some point. :)
    Basically, while Sensei's Divining Top is the reason Miracles exists, it's not the reason it's (theoretically) oppressive, thus banning SDT is not the right solution to target Miracles specifically, if that's what we need to do to broaden the format. Taking Counterbalance or Terminus (I lean toward the former) would impact the deck enough to open up the field while not having collateral damage. It's having both of these cards in the deck that leads toward "Top abuse."

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Does anyone have a link to those?
    They ran an interesting one a few years back at another Japanese GP where you could choose a non power nine card and have it as a 4 of. Brainstorm was still the most played card, and Mental Misstep was #2. #expected. I'll try to dig up the results link.

Edit: The Internet.

http://amclegacy.sakura.ne.jp/FSL1.html

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    From Philipp Schönegger's Reddit Q&A. The question: "What are your thoughts on the dig through time based control decks like Golddigger?"

Answer (emphases mine):

Basically, while Sensei's Divining Top is the reason Miracles exists, it's not the reason it's (theoretically) oppressive, thus banning SDT is not the right solution to target Miracles specifically, if that's what we need to do to broaden the format. Taking Counterbalance or Terminus (I lean toward the former) would impact the deck enough to open up the field while not having collateral damage. It's having both of these cards in the deck that leads toward "Top abuse."
    Except that:

a.) Terminus and Coutnerbalanace would be basically unplayable or only fringe playable without Sensei's Divining Top. Just like Vengevine was unplayable without Survival of the Fittest, but without Vengevine Survival would still be powerful and probably broken down the line with further new printings. Similarly, SDT will always be powerful tool for control decks that have ways to abuse knowledge of the top 3 cards of their library. If you ban Terminus, CounterTop rears its ugly head at some point in the right deck. If you ban Counterbalance, SDT+Terminus is still a huge detriment to aggro decks.

b.) There is no "collateral damage" from banning Top. Or if there is, it's very negligible. The only decks that lose anything (other than Miracles) are the stray Painter deck that plays 1-2 SDT, the stray ANT deck that plays 1-2 SDT, and a random BGx deck that uses 2-3. And all of these decks are eminently playable, and even just as powerful, without a single SDT in their deck.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Except that:

a.) Terminus would be basically unplayable or only fringe playable without Brainstorm.
    fixed this.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    fixed this.
    But so would 50%+ of the rest of the format as we know it.

The results of banning Brainstorm would be too unpredictable, make too many sweeping effects, and would generate far too much collateral damage.

The results of banning SDT are very simple to predict: Miracles instantly goes from Tier 1 to Tier 2, and a set of new control decks springs up to take its place, increasing diversity in the format. Additionally, more aggro decks that used to fold to Terminus spring up once again and bring even more diversity to the format.

I don't find Miracles oppressive, but if it was, the solution would clearly be to unban Goblin Recruiter.

Thread Information