View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 62 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566721121625621062 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by r0ckstAr View Post
    Maverick just gets owned by stoneblade because all their cards are really good against it. And a Jace who hit the board will probably win the game single-handedly =>
    Not true and instead the other way round. Maverick, owns Stoneblade pretty easily. It's just not a popular deck in the USA.

Every card in Maverick is card advantage, and that Batterskull/SFM is incredibly hard to stick. If you do tap out for a Jace, be prepared that the Jace is going to die real soon to a bunch of utility dorks. Maverick is a weird beast, and the US metagame doesn't like playing weird beasts for most parts.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstalker View Post
    This. Instead of the community asking for cards to be banned I would prefer we try and influence WotC to print good, hard to splash cards in nonblue colors. Again, powerful cards are the REASON to play Legacy. Lets not take this away but rather demand for a better balance in power between the colors, because the problem is not blues power level so much as the other colors lack of.

Lately it seems that WotC is willing to break the color rules on blues behalf, well perhaps its time they began giving colors like red access to blues specialties. Why not some worthwhile red library manipulation,card draw or even counter magic? In fact why isnt Snapcaster Mage red? That was a missed opportunity IMO but perhaps if we focus our efforts on this rather than bannings we may see some better results? IDK.
    DUH!

R&D loves them the color . There's not other reasonable or logical explanation as to why Blue gets goodies, and all the other colors get "casual" oriented cards.

EDIT: rather than making a double post...
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalwalker View Post
    Not true and instead the other way round. Maverick, owns Stoneblade pretty easily. It's just not a popular deck in the USA.

Every card in Maverick is card advantage, and that Batterskull/SFM is incredibly hard to stick. If you do tap out for a Jace, be prepared that the Jace is going to die real soon to a bunch of utility dorks. Maverick is a weird beast, and the US metagame doesn't like playing weird beasts for most parts.
    The Maverick vs. Stoneblade match is probably close to 55/45 pre-board, and 65/35 post-board. Their deck isn't equipped to deal with the constant stream of threats that Maverick can dish out. I do agree that it's an anomaly that US metagame doesn't feature more Maverick - perhaps it's really as Mr. Elgin describes, where the masses copy the latest T8 decks from SCG and play them ad nauseam.
    Last edited by Koby; 09-14-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

Heres a cool card I just came up with for shiz and giggles...perhaps WotC could do something like this:

This. Instead of the community asking for cards to be banned I would prefer we try and influence WotC to print good, hard to splash cards in nonblue colors.
    The last time I'd asked wizards to stop banning cards was durring the hot button issue on "restricting mana drain" to balance type 1.5. Myself and a bunch of other attempted to work on format called 1.75 which was later dropped when Wizards announces the new Legacy format (ok it wasnt called legacy back then but the new ban list was something we were looking for)

I've also always had a problem with Wizards being DCI. Wizards should be in the job of making cards, they shouldnt have the job to determine if the card is broken and/or should be banned.

Again, powerful cards are the REASON to play Legacy. Lets not take this away but rather demand for a better balance in power between the colors, because the problem is not blues power level so much as the other colors lack of.
    I love power cards, the newer always keeps the format (any format) intresting.

Lately it seems that WotC is willing to break the color rules on blues behalf, well perhaps its time they began giving colors like red access to blues specialties.
    Blue is always powerful because it plays upon the opponents mind; because good blue mages dont painic understress; they can handle 2 life.

Why not some worthwhile red library manipulation,card draw or even counter magic?
    Red has the best 1 card combo ~ Fiery Gambit all you need is 3 lucky coin flips. Although when we spend money in playing a tournament we try not to rely upon luck.

In fact why isnt Snapcaster Mage red? That was a missed opportunity IMO but perhaps if we focus our efforts on this rather than bannings we may see some better results? IDK.
    First, Snapcaster is freaking overrated. Burn isnt going to play him, he pops into play on turn 3 (no haste) to flashback a bolt... at that point you want to drop 6 or 9 damage. He's not going to see blue especially if his usefulness is based upon flashbacking a Misstep (which looks like it might be banned) or a Brainstorm; doubtfully somebody is going to drop him to recast a coutnerspell, sure it can happen but 4 mana is heavy. High Tide wants to play him but they cannot and he's not green for NO RUG.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

Heres a cool card I just came up with for shiz and giggles...perhaps WotC could do something like this:

The funny thing is you will be forced to run your own Mental Missteps to protect this guy from the blue player's Swords to Plowshares and Lightning Bolts. Seems like a cool card though. I like the name.

I have a secret to beating Mental Misstep. Are you ready for it? Here it is... don't play cards with CMC 1!

In all seriousness though, I think people are overstating MM's "negative" impact on the metagame and I don't think it should be getting the axe, at least not so soon. The card has shifted the format towards slower decks and actually gives control a chance to be prominent. Other than Countertop, control decks (namely the blue based ones like Stoneblade and Landstill) have been largely absent from Legacy over the last couple of years. If MM is banned, we are looking at another combo-heavy metagame, as decks will have lost a ubiquitous answer to Ritual, High Tide, Entomb, and other single-costed combo goodies. I might be in the minority, but I would rather play against the slower control builds of today than possibly not having a second turn and watching my opponent masturbate. Aether Vial is another overpowered card that all decks should have a fair answer to IMO. Also, one of the main deterents of the format I have heard from non-Legacy players looking in is the prevalence of such combo decks. I think it would be a mistake to allow that type of metagme to re-emerge; it is fine the way it is now and will be changing as people adapt to the Misstep.

When brainstorming decks on MWS, I now sometimes change my card choices with Misstep in mind. For example, in a GWB Junk deck, I may decide to use Go for the Throat instead of Path to Exile simply for the CMC of 2. These kinds of changes are a good thing for the format, and could actually increase card diversity if people are willing to adapt.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Actually, the secret of beating MM is to play redundant 1cc spells. It's basically the same principle behind Wasteland and Dual Lands.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Actually, the secret of beating MM is to play redundant 1cc spells. It's basically the same principle behind Wasteland and Dual Lands.
    And then Proclamation of Rebirth for the win.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Quote Originally Posted by danyul View Post
    The funny thing is you will be forced to run your own Mental Missteps to protect this guy from the blue player's Swords to Plowshares and Lightning Bolts. Seems like a cool card though. I like the name.
    It can punish blue players more with: All spells cost 1 more to cast if controlling an Island.

That would mean a blue player cant just splash it into their deck to punish their opponents in the mirror etc.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Shhh! That's another secret that people haven't figured out yet! But that would leave you really vulnerable to a Chalice of the Void set to 1.

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

So basically painter's servant is this guy's worst enemy?
    Team FireBrothers

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I fail to see how that's any better than Chill with Painter.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
    Nov 2008
    Austin, TX

Quote Originally Posted by rukcus View Post
    I fail to see how that's any better than Chill with Painter.
    Read anathema.. "If at any time you control an island or blue permanent, sacrifice all islands and blue permanents you control."

Painter's servant can make everything you and your opponent control (in and out of play etc etc) blue, so if your opponent has a crimson pariah in play and you play a painter naming blue they would be forced to sacrifice everything they had in play.
    Team FireBrothers

when they should announce the new B/R?
    I apologize for my bad English

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    It seems on the 20th or the first monday.

Though there are hints from the mothership that is suggesting that Misstep is going to be banned. [I disagree but there is nothing I can do about it]

So my guess is that by next year Brainstorm and Natural Order will be banned.

But there is no offical word on what card is going to be banned so my fingers is crossed that wizards is legacy wise and realize that Misstep isnt the problem but Brainstorm is the problem.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Typically the 20th, so next tuesday?
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstorm View Post
    Read anathema.. "If at any time you control an island or blue permanent, sacrifice all islands and blue permanents you control."

Painter's servant can make everything you and your opponent control (in and out of play etc etc) blue, so if your opponent has a crimson pariah in play and you play a painter naming blue they would be forced to sacrifice everything they had in play.
    No, I completely understand the interaction, but fail to see how playing +Painter()is better than running +Painter()+Chill. Regardless, we're discussing a hypothetical overpowered hatebear. Thorn of Amethyst also performs the same role, and is accessible for each color.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

I came up with that card on short order but yes my intention was to make something aggressive enough to be worth considering by aggro strategies that slows blue and cant be splashed by blue. This does all those things so hooray beer. Ya painters servant kicks his ass and I kinda like that interaction. I guess the controller could always bolt the lil' guy in response.

The fact that painter+chill is better is irrelevant because that combo is played by blue mages. This card would most likely not be. Also the effect is asymetrical because this cards controller would not be running blue so thorn doesnt exactly do the same thing. Anyway ya hypothetical card so its too bad we'll never find out how he works.

Steve Carpenter's my friend.
    Feb 2009
    Poughkeepsie, Ny.

@Lancer, bstorm is not the problem, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by jimirynk View Post
    @Lancer, bstorm is not the problem, that is all.
    lol... wait until Mental Misstep is banned... :)

Thread Information