View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 634 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1345345846246306316326336346356366376386446847341134 ... LastLast
Results 12,661 to 12,680 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

I fail to see how resolving a Recruiter trigger would take any longer than someone going off with High Tide or even Storm.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    Just a though I'm toying with.

Wouldn't it be ok to leave Branstorm in the format but ban Ponder, Preordain and most probably Dig would also have to go, because the "cantrip cartel" these days is just really nauseating.

Brainstorm after all is iconic card, people enjoy playing it, it definetly is powerfull and has cool unique effect of putting redundant cards back on top or hidding info, but before axing it directly, I would try to cut all other cantrips as well. Brainstorm all alone, cant twist meta that much. Even with top it only allows for one deck to exist, Mioracles (personally I'm not ofended by this deck's exxistence).
    Survival was also an iconic card of the meta, a "pillar" like some people like to call it, yet Wizards had no qualms banning it.

Brainstorm is the main problem due to its unique properties, the other cantrips are a lesser problem compared to that.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It is not played a hell of a lot, but as someone that dose kick it around in vintage as a bit of fun here and there, it does take a long while to make work. The reason is because it is not as simple as just stacking. You are looking at, in a way making Doomsday piles that are longer and need to be planed perfectly. They also need to be set up for the situation at hand. This take time:

1st: Split your deck into two piles.
    2nd: Stack one of the piles in the correct order. Check and recheck order dependent on boardstate and cards you might have to deal with.
    3rd: Shuffle second pile, cut, place on table.
    4th: Take out your calculator to keep up with your mana supply.
    5th: Take the rest of the time needed to combo out, note if you are not totally sure on what you need this part alone can take 10 minutes.
    6th: If Food Chain is blown up, crack a fetch and do it all again.

This is a bother, it is time consuming and it is a pain. As to do I have a direct quote? No but I also do not have a direct Quote from Wizards stating that they only release cards from the ban list in a hostage transfer style situation, but that doesn't make the reality and more or less real. We all know that is true as well. We also all knew that Dragon was not going to do shit, we knew Tax wasn't going to do shit, we know Earthcraft is not going to break the format and we know Recruiter will not either. Knowing these things does not mean we can prove them. But we know them. But really, do you need to prove this shit or is common scene not enough to work it all out?

The issue with Earthcraft is not that it is unsafe, but that there is no card being banned right now so there is no reason to unban a card, the issue with Recruiter is that while it's not broken or too powerful any more, its simpler to leave the issue buried then deal with the unwanted secondary issues its unbanning could create. Simply put, if you can not use your brain and work though what is said without being said, well that ain't my fault. But fuck, not being about to see whats being said without actually being written down is what causes some people to hold out hope Brainstorm might get banned one day.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

So you are right, because:
    - we all know that it is true
    - common scene
    - what is said without being said
    - the card is still banned

Sorry, I am just not buying it, and not your imaginary "Take out your calculator" scenario either.

Recruiter was banned from the beginning of Legacy, and have never been unbanned - this is a fact, and the only thing we agree on.
    As to why it isn't unbanned, I don't really know, but I do think it is an obvious candidate for unbanning.

Mar 2013

I agree it is at a power that the format can deal with yes, I do not think the powers that be will let it off the leash though due to issues raised above.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oct 2012
    Italy

Dice Box, you are right, we know a lot of things that wizards never explicitly stated but they are in fact true. The problem is that this things are just plain wrong (safe cards being banned, unbannings only when another card gets banned, brainstorm still legal), so just accepting all this shit and playing a format that wizards is not interested in and probably not able to manage properly is not a good proposition. Legacy would need a revolution :)

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Nielsie View Post
    I fail to see how resolving a Recruiter trigger would take any longer than someone going off with High Tide or even Storm.
    The big difference is that the game is decided at the end of the turn if a storm or High Tide player is going off unlike with Recruiter. In fact, you can repeat the stacking with Recruiter several times within a single game.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    The big difference is that the game is decided at the end of the turn if a storm or High Tide player is going off unlike with Recruiter. In fact, you can repeat the stacking with Recruiter several times within a single game.
    But aren't most stacks less than 10 cards? And very regularly the same 5 or 6 stacks the player already has memorized? And if it isn't disrupted it generally means the game is over?

I also feel I am being very generous with those numbers, meaning stacks are likely 6 or fewer cards and the regular stacks number closer to 2 or 3...
    Doesn't Goblin Ringleader, Goblin Warchief, Goblin Piledriver, Goblin Piledriver, Goblin Piledriver, Goblin Recruiter seem like what you'd use unless you need a utility goblin?

Mar 2013

That is dependent on the kill. Normally the stacks are based on the mana you can produce on the table. If you have limited mana, your opening cards are a setup feeding into a Ringleader and then a SGC. (5 mana into 9 mana) At that point you can chain into a combo of kinds or you set up longer chains based on how you plan to kill. (Say Kiki/Crafter or a Piledrivers and Warchief.) The issues are created but the mana demands and more complex board states. Having to play around large amount of blockers, not having the Kiki combo, shit like that. If you have to punch though a midrange deck for example who can take the hit, remove combo pieces and then cause you issues, you have to plan for that and decide how you are going to set up the board. Also you do not get to keep everything you play, since you are Exiling to Food chain to keep the ball rolling and thus you are stacking with that plan in mind.

A common stack would be:

Ringleader (5)
    SGC (9)
    Warchief (6) (Keep on table)
    SGC (11)
    Ringleader (13)
    Matron/Recruiter (Hold in hand)
    Piledriver (12) (Keep)
    Piledriver (11) (Keep)
    Ringleader (13)
    Kiki (9) (Keep)
    Crafter (6) (Keep)
    Piledriver (5) (Keep)
    Ringleader (1) (Keep)
    Whatever else you wish.

This gives you the best of all worlds, you can Pile someone or Kiki them letting you play around removal. Granted that is assuming you have none of this in hand to start with. If you wanted to just Kiki that would be easier but leaves you cold to a bolt:

Ringleader
    SGC
    Warchief
    SGC
    Ringleader
    Kiki
    Crafter
    Recruiter

Wow. So broken. How would the format handle such a savagely fast powerful combo. That also requires a do nothing enchantment to be in play ... that already makes infinite mana in blue.

Mar 2013

Shit, Ned and I agree on something... Um... BRB, need to make sure the world is not ending.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Wow. So broken. How would the format handle such a savagely fast powerful combo.
    Agreed, it is about as format warping as Land Tax.

Bolt (targeting haste enabler) also stops the Piledriver plan cold.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Agreed, it is about as format warping as Land Tax.

Bolt (targeting haste enabler) also stops the Piledriver plan cold.
    Run more than one of them.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Cartesian View Post
    So you are right, because:
    - we all know that it is true
    - common scene
    - what is said without being said
    - the card is still banned

Sorry, I am just not buying it, and not your imaginary "Take out your calculator" scenario either.

Recruiter was banned from the beginning of Legacy, and have never been unbanned - this is a fact, and the only thing we agree on.
    As to why it isn't unbanned, I don't really know, but I do think it is an obvious candidate for unbanning.
    It was unbanned in 1.5, before Legacy even was Legacy, when the cardpool was deeper and the decks more powerful, and it wasn't dominant even then.

Myself and Artowis originally ported the deck to and developed it for 1.5, so I've played it extensively in tournament environments. You're underestimating the difficulty in stacking the deck correctly, as it requires a careful assessment of the current board state, weighing certain risk factors, and adjusting your stack accordingly. It was time consuming, and it frequently had to be done more than once in a game. That being said, I'll grant that matches rarely went to time playing it, at least for me. But certainly it's not particularly fun for my opponent to sit and watch me sort and fiddle with my deck for several minutes during every game.

I don't know for certain that the card is still banned for time reasons, but I can say with confidence that it wouldn't be overpowered if it were unbanned in modern Legacy.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

1.5... Now that brings back memories

To be perfectly honest: I don't think anything will change for a long time.
    "Be it ever so crumbled, there's no place like home."

RGCL (GQ)

Welcome aboard, in her dark name we do dedicate this performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    That actually sounds erotic.
    Youtube-playlist dedicated to RGCL

I'll just leave this here

I'll just leave this here

Eternal weekend legacy: brainstorm 65% of top 32 decks 84 copies.

Very funny pyroblast is top 6 player cards

Only 65%? That is tbh little less than expected, but still that card is over represented in legacy.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Very funny pyroblast is top 6 player cards
    Ban Pyroblast !

/Sarcasm

Only 65%? That is tbh little less than expected, but still that card is over represented in legacy.
    Only because some casual.dec go top 32
    and 4 lands got top 32

Grixis Pyromancer Bob Huang 1
    OmniTell Akash Naidu 2
    Grixis Pyromancer Kyle Roen 3
    Lands Kevin King 4
    Merfolks George Flete 5
    Rogue Max Ansbro 6
    4c Delver Charlie Holland 7
    Grixis Pyromancer Ed Demicco 8
    Lands Travis Compton 9
    Lands Matthew Szczeblewski 10