View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 64 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768741141645641064 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

More data:

Decks playing at least 1% of the color from SCG database:

01-02-11 - 05-15-11

White: 128
    Green: 145
    Red: 88
    Blue: 182
    Black: 115

White: 50%
    Green: 57%
    Red: 34%
    Blue: 71%
    Black: 45%

05-22-11 - Present

White: 119
    Green: 124
    Red: 92
    Blue: 187
    Black: 109

White: 51%
    Green: 53%
    Red: 39%
    Blue: 80%
    Black: 46%
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

ad nauseam blind
    Jun 2011
    circles within circles

I think I'll stop reading in this point
    Lolz then you missed a damn good paraphrase at the end.

Really, legacy is not the format in which we start every deck with "add all the power X cards we have, continue from there".
    Actually it really is. Looking at TC decks, it seems thats the entire point. Lets not just evaluate blue cards though, how about Aether Vial or Tarmogoyf or Dark Confidant or Swords to Plowshares or Life from the Loam or Lightning Bolt and so on and so forth. Its exactly the reason. Pick your colors, start with the best cards of those colors. Whats wrong with that?

Edit: CorpT- actually thats not as bad as I thought it would be honestly although I know those numbers will ebb and flow slightly. If anything it shows that Red needs some serious love.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Better have a source to back that claim up, son. Where have they said that anything at all will be banned?
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/newre...eply&p=7295458

Forsythe:

... it's just way worse than we thought for that format, and I imagine we're gonna talk about banning it when the next thing (ban update) comes around...

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstalker View Post
    Edit: CorpT- actually thats not as bad as I thought it would be honestly although I know those numbers will ebb and flow slightly. If anything it shows that Red needs some serious love.
    What's interesting is that it doesn't look like Blue has replaced colors in decks. It's just been added to everything. Frankly, 80% is pretty high for a color to be represented.
    To put it in perspective, Artifacts were ran in 156 decks in the same period Blue was run in 187 decks. That should mean something.

Oct 2009
    Michigan

Basically, most decks that could added mental misstep, did? Interrrrresting. Here's a question... if a ton of decks only played blue for 8 cards ( brainstorm and misstep ) would that be considered broken by most of you?

More data. Regarding ebbs and flows. These were long sample sizes. The 2009 data is very small, so big grains of salt there.

By year: 2009 2010 2011
    White: 45% 56% 50%
    Green: 72% 62% 55%
    Red: 55% 36% 37%
    Blue: 62% 67% 75%
    Black: 39% 43% 46%

2011:
    White: 50%
    Green: 55%
    Red: 37%
    Blue: 75%
    Black: 46%

2010:
    White: 56%
    Green: 62%
    Red: 36%
    Blue: 67%
    Black: 43%

2009:
    White: 45%
    Green: 72%
    Red: 55%
    Blue: 62%
    Black: 39%

2011:
    White: 247
    Green: 269
    Red: 180
    Blue: 369
    Black: 224
    Total: 491

2010:
    White: 166
    Green: 184
    Red: 105
    Blue: 197
    Black: 126

2009:
    White: 44
    Green: 70
    Red: 53
    Blue: 60
    Black: 38
    Total: 97

Non-basic lands are Mountains
    Apr 2011

The funny thing about it is, that everyone only jumps on the misstep hatetrain instead of thinking for themselves what the latest block brought for goodies in their colors. And even if its not in their colors, many insane things came out of it.
    Merfolk for me is the dumbest deck i've ever seen in magic history, and now it got a 1cmc removal that can be even paid with a mutavault. Nobody cries about how nasty that is. Or when we look to white, Apostles Blessing is pretty good either.
    The problem with the legacy community is, that it is narrow minded.
    Someone says a card is busted, everyone repeats that opinion without thinking at all. Thats why blue in general is so hyped, thats why Force of will was hyped and now the
    same happens to MM.

If Mental Misstep gets banned, i will be the last one to complain, but this whole drama i read in here over and over is making me sick.
    True strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me! -Kamahl, Pit Fighter

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Was Goblin that much played during 2009? How come those numbers for red are so high compared to 2010? I've got a bit of a sketchy memory here.
    Green dropping in 2011 is probably because of the ability for control deck to go for SFM as a cheap win condition instead of going bant like everyone did before.

Also seems like blue is just increasing regularly, for many a sign that the format is reaching maturity.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/newre...eply&p=7295458

Forsythe:

... it's just way worse than we thought for that format, and I imagine we're gonna talk about banning it when the next thing (ban update) comes around...
    Well I'll be damned. I really didn't think it was that bad, just kinda brainless.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Also seems like blue is just increasing regularly, for many a sign that the format is reaching maturity.
    I take issue with this train of thought though. If the idea of a format reaching maturity is either:

A. Everyone starts every decklist with the same X cards, then adds one of a handful of win conditions (a.k.a. Vintage)
    and/or
    B. Everyone gravitates to one of 2-3 well-known archetypes that dominate the field (a.k.a. Standard)

Then I don't want the format to mature. The whole thing that's great about Legacy compared to other formats is that you can go to a 7-round event and face off against 7 different decks. It makes sideboarding and deckbuilding way more interesting, and for me is really the only thing keeping the game fun. I guess there are plenty of people that play to win and not for fun, but to me that's what Standard is for. Legacy should stay the unruly teenager of formats.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by ThoSha View Post
    The funny thing about it is, that everyone only jumps on the misstep hatetrain instead of thinking for themselves what the latest block brought for goodies in their colors. And even if its not in their colors, many insane things came out of it.
    Merfolk for me is the dumbest deck i've ever seen in magic history, and now it got a 1cmc removal that can be even paid with a mutavault. Nobody cries about how nasty that is. Or when we look to white, Apostles Blessing is pretty good either.
    Someone says a card is busted, everyone repeats that opinion without thinking at all. Thats why blue in general is so hyped, thats why Force of will was hyped and now the
    same happens to MM.

If Mental Misstep gets banned, i will be the last one to complain, but this whole drama i read in here over and over is making me sick.
    The truth is nobody likes their first spell hit by a counterspell and they cry about it and refuse to adopt. (Not everybody but a very good number of players)

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Well here's hoping they talk about it and leave it alone. I hate having to play FoW in aggro-control, and Misstep lets me get away with that. Funny though. This will be the first counterspell that has ever been banned in an eternal format (Modern doesn't count) apart from Mana Drain, and that just seems wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoSha View Post
    same happens to MM.
    It's not "narrow minded" to want to win. If I look at these numbers, it is clear Blue playing decks have higher penetration to the Top 16 than decks without Blue. Why should I not play a deck with Blue? Maybe that's a self-fulfilling prophecy, but does it matter?

Want to see something scary?

White : 523 57%
    Green : 202 22%
    Red: 363 40%
    Blue: 634 69%
    Black: 198 22%
    That's similar data for Standard 04-01-11 - 07-01-11 aka Jace/SFM Standard.

And post-ban:

White 211 45%
    Green 115 24%
    Red 198 42%
    Blue 293 62%
    Black 107 23%

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Somebody needs to be fired if they keep fucking up and having to ban things, IMO. I'd start with Tom Lapille.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Somebody needs to be fired if they keep fucking up and having to ban things, IMO. I'd start with Tom Lapille.
    Why? I would love to see more Great Sable Stags
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Well I'll be damned. I really didn't think it was that bad, just kinda brainless.

I take issue with this train of thought though. If the idea of a format reaching maturity is either:

A. Everyone starts every decklist with the same X cards, then adds one of a handful of win conditions (a.k.a. Vintage)
    and/or
    B. Everyone gravitates to one of 2-3 well-known archetypes that dominate the field (a.k.a. Standard)

Then I don't want the format to mature. The whole thing that's great about Legacy compared to other formats is that you can go to a 7-round event and face off against 7 different decks. It makes sideboarding and deckbuilding way more interesting, and for me is really the only thing keeping the game fun. I guess there are plenty of people that play to win and not for fun, but to me that's what Standard is for. Legacy should stay the unruly teenager of formats.
    -Metalworker Mud
    -Aggro Mud
    -Stax
    -Dredge
    -Madness
    -Gush Storm
    -Bob Control
    -Bob/Gush Control
    -Gush/Cobra Control
    -GW Hatebears
    -GWU Fish
    -Aether Vial Control aka Wizards
    -Minus 6
    -Turbo Tezz
    -Oath

I'll admit there are is a lot of overlap in vintage, but it is far from what you stated in "A". Currently, it is a very diverse field at the moment.

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
    The truth is nobody likes their first spell hit by a counterspell and they cry about it and refuse to adopt.
    I see this line of thought all the time, and so it's incredibly annoying to be subjected to this child logic. Here's the deal: If someone complains about a card, it does NOT necessarily mean he/she is unable to beat the card or the decks it's used in.

Since you label me as a cry baby who can't beat MM, I'll have to carefully explain where my criticism of MM is coming from. I have mostly played various blue aggro-control in Legacy over the years and generally believe this to be the best archetype, although I have changed deck when there was an obvious best deck (ANT, Survival, Spiral Tide, etc). I win consistently and have (had?) a high rating. Even if Misstep boosts the decks I like the most, I still hated it from the moment I saw it spoiled. I won't repeat myself as to why I hate it, because that's getting too tiring. The reason I want it gone is for the health of the format's sake, not because I keep running Lackey into it...

Anyway, I kind of regret selling 80% of my Legacy staples now that we know MM is likely to be banned. Not in a million years would I have thought they would make the correct decision. I was pretty sure the format would only keep degenerating into more and more blue mirror matches until everyone got too sick and tired of it and SCG just switched its sunday format to Modern, but now it looks like Legacy isn't going down in flames after all.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Prkchpsndwiches View Post
    -Metalworker Mud Shop Combo
    -Shop Aggro Mud
    -Stax Shop
    -Bazaar Dredge
    -Bazaar Madness
    -Gush Storm
    -Bob Control Gush
    -Bob/Gush Control
    -Gush/Cobra Control
    -GW Hatebears Fish
    -GWU Fish Fish
    -Aether Vial Control aka Wizards Fish
    -Minus 6 Dragon
    -Turbo Tezz Drain
    -Oath
    Fixed that for you. There's only 4 archetypes in Vintage*. The win condition is a formality. Everything else is about 40-50 cards overlap with one of the existing four.

* - Blue, Bazaar, Workshop, Oath
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by kikoo View Post
    I see this line of thought all the time, and so it's incredibly annoying to be subjected to this child logic. Here's the deal: If someone complains about a card, it does NOT necessarily mean he/she is unable to beat the card or the decks it's used in.

Since you label me as a cry baby who can't beat MM, I'll have to carefully explain where my criticism of MM is coming from. I have mostly played various blue aggro-control in Legacy over the years and generally believe this to be the best archetype, although I have changed deck when there was an obvious best deck (ANT, Survival, Spiral Tide, etc). I win consistently and have (had?) a high rating. Even if Misstep boosts the decks I like the most, I still hated it from the moment I saw it spoiled. I won't repeat myself as to why I hate it, because that's getting too tiring. The reason I want it gone is for the health of the format's sake, not because I keep running Lackey into it...

Anyway, I kind of regret selling 80% of my Legacy staples now that we know MM is likely to be banned. Not in a million years would I have thought they would make the correct decision. I was pretty sure the format would only keep degenerating into more and more blue mirror matches until everyone got too sick and tired of it and SCG just switched its sunday format to Modern, but now it looks like Legacy isn't going down in flames after all.
    And why blue would be nerfed by the banning of what basically is a colorless card? Seriously. If anything this should make people reflect on what are the real culprit for blue power in this format. MM ain't.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    Want to see something scary?

White : 523 57%
    Green : 202 22%
    Red: 363 40%
    Blue: 634 69%
    Black: 198 22%
    That's similar data for Standard 04-01-11 - 07-01-11 aka Jace/SFM Standard.

And post-ban:

White 211 45%
    Green 115 24%
    Red 198 42%
    Blue 293 62%
    Black 107 23%
    3 cards for that does that. Squadron hawk, Preordain and Sword of Feast and Famine. Even after the ban Cawblade is still one of the best decks in the format. Outside of Ramp green is quite weak, Black got vampires and UB control, Red got combo and aggro. All red combos are ofc with Preordains. Red aggro have a huge up hill battle against an Uncommon card that pretty much turns the match alone in Timely Reinforcement. As that wasnt enought The formats best removal can be played in every deck.
    Hi Dismember. If you arent a Titan or more insane Consecrated Sphinx you are out of luck.

Also its quite easy to splash blue into decks in standard with preordains, Awesome duals (that can be monsters to boot) and mana fix.
    Almost forgot to mention all the clones in standard that is evolving arround winning 6 dropp titans, Phyrexian Metamorph and Phantasmal Image are just insane creatures when they can clone 6/6 creatures with CIP effects or gaming winning effects like draw 2 cards everytime your opponent draws a card!

Quote Originally Posted by Tombstalker View Post
    Dont forget at that peroid alot more mono red decks where played in form of Goblins, dragonstompy, and charbelcher. Decks we dont really see that often anymore at least not the 2 later ones. Red was at 55% before in 2009. Red today is mostly jsut for burn, blasts, grudge and lavamancer, So not really strange red is falling down.

Thread Information