View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 713 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 213613663703709710711712713714715716717723763813 ... LastLast
Results 14,241 to 14,260 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Re: All B/R update speculation.

And Werebear was a big deal. 2004-era Type 1.5 says nothing about Legacy in 2016.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    And Werebear was a big deal. 2004-era Type 1.5 says nothing about Legacy in 2016.
    It's certainly not definitive, but to say it says nothing is just wrong. It has a history in the format. It wasn't arbitrarily placed on the ban list - it was put there because it allowed a single archetype to maintain a stranglehold on the format for three years. Have things changed since then? Obviously. But you're still talking about one of the most powerful cards the format has ever seen.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

I'd trust Zilla, I think he was actually playing when legacy split off from vintage.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Don't forget that Mana Drain would give you mana even if spell is casted with alternative cost, today Legacy still running (and will be) FoW, Delve cards, Phyrexian mana etc..

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

That's um... Common sense.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

That's um... Common sense.
    I think "sense" has gone from common, to uncommon, to mythic rare.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

People always act as though counterspell is a fair and reasonable magic card when it doesn't give you mana. It really isn't. Being able to stop almost any spell in the game for UU is one of the most powerful things WotC has ever created. Oh and this one gives you mana as well/the most broken thing in magic is fast mana as has been proven by black lotus, dark ritual, LED, etc. etc. Unban mana drain. I dare you. You may not get wrecked by it often since it will skyrocket to $2K/playset the moment its unbanned, but you'll dread facing the player(s) at your LGS who own 4 drains.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Mar 2013

I have seen that argument made before and I am not entirely sure I agree with it. Sure, Counterspell is powerful, but it's the least common of the counters in my box to be used. While I am sure if you added on Mana to the effect it would see more play, I am not sure that an large amount of decks are interested in trading Spell Pierce for Colourless mana.

As for the price, it's not on the list. That's a solvable issue.

If it was unbanned tomorrow I would sell my copies not play with them. I don't feel I would end up regretting that choice either unless I planed to loop Tops to make Monks.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jul 2013
    Texas

I could see Drain being reprinted in Eternal Masters then unbanned. I don't know if that's a good thing. I could see Drain being tough to play against, but really, any deck that wants to play Drain is going to be really color-intensive to the point where a bunch of colorless mana isn't going to just help out of hand. Jace is the obvious winner, and it helps hardcast Terminus, and in UBx control or midrange decks you could drain into an early Angler or something).

Actually now that I think about it Drain in S&T could be too much. First of all, you could drain into a hardcast Eldrazi -- maybe not necessarily Emrakul, but they're all pretty brutal. But even then, since S&T and Sneak require only one colored mana each, getting free colorless which allows you to cast your combo piece while holding up colored mana for a counter war (or a sneak activation) seems really good.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

As a player who has actually faced Mana Drain in tournaments, I can tell you that the mana boost is completely unfair. You feel giddy or robbed depending upon which side you are sitting. It sucks to counter Ancestral Recall or something, but then it is basically just a Counterspell. That's not exactly bad.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Actually now that I think about it Drain in S&T could be too much. First of all, you could drain into a hardcast Eldrazi -- maybe not necessarily Emrakul, but they're all pretty brutal. But even then, since S&T and Sneak require only one colored mana each, getting free colorless which allows you to cast your combo piece while holding up colored mana for a counter war (or a sneak activation) seems really good.
    The problem there is you have to have just won a counter war to have the drain mana, so saving mana for counters is mostly a moot point.

As to the eldrazi, if the game has gone on long enough for you to drop any eldrazi or other big expensive beat-stick a S&T deck is trying to put into play, then the game has already gone on to long.

Though it would help drop and activate Sneak attack on one turn, since it could give you the 2 red and 3 other mana on turn 3, or enable them to cast SnT with only 2 mana available.

The only current major deck I can see easily slotting mana drain is Miracles, to help cast Jace, terminus and possbly even hard cast an Entreat to start the beat down a little earlier.

The biggest effect I can see Drain having is enabling dedicated control decks to start their offence earlier in the game, which is probably a good thing since those decks tend to be the ones everyone complains about being to slow and boring, giving them an option to do stuff earlier might help, though the question is would that style become to strong.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Sorry lads, but discussing Mana Drains potential simply how on how it fits into Miracles or the like is ridiculous.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Feb 2008
    NYC

I usually stay out of posting in here because the threads go off the rails so fast. But anyone who thinks that Mana Drain would be safe in Legacy has clearly never played with or against the card. The possible tempo gain is enormous, and yes on the surface just saving mana on Jace doesn't seem to insane, there are other deck strategies that would most likely open. The blue shell is already getting to levels that if this were vintage, restrictions would be coming, and allowing cheaper mentors, planeswalkers and other high end cards that they traditionally need to build up to would be a bad place to be. An unbanning that would possibly help strengthen 2-3 of the already decks to beat seems dumb not to mention the possible addition of an additional control deck into the format.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

We need more talk about how Balance is fair and should be allowed as a 4-of
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

It's a symmetrical effect and its in its name for gods sake

Clear a fair and acceptable magical card.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

And White needs some love too, stop talking about Blue.

Jun 2005
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Anen View Post
    And White needs some love too, stop talking about Blue.
    At least they gave us back Land Tax. Should have never been banned.

But I really want Shahrazad unbanned. Played it as a single card in my old WW deck just because.
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Honestly, Shahrazad in burn is amazing.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Honestly, Shahrazad in burn is amazing.
    We all know you just want to keep nesting sub-games using burning wish. The card does present something of a logistics concern. It's not nearly as silly as in the earlier version of the rules when there was no exile zone.

Mar 2013

I want to see Dragon and Shahrazad in the same deck, just so that way we can see some really fucked up match slips.

Thread Information