View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 74 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 2464707172737475767778841241745741074 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Well, for that card, there are multiple solutions:

A- Run your own as you said. (Mirror matches, Merfolk)
    B- Run a redunant amount of 1cmc spells. (Zoo)
    C- Run a deck that don't need 1cmc spells. (Stompy)
    D- Run decks that shit all over those blue decks and don't care about a stupid counterspell. (Rock, mid-range, etc)
    Just the fact I came up with three solutions beyond "run your own" should be evidence enough that the card in question is not broken.
    B: This is not a very practical solution. Against decks running Mental Misstep Zoo is:
    Merfolk: 66% (As it has always been)
    NO RUG: 50%
    UW Stoneblade: 40%
    Hivemind: 12%

So Zoo beats the creature based deck running Misstep and loses or splits with the Brainstorm based decks running Mental Misstep. Zoo isn't beating the Misstep/Brainstorm decks. It does well when it dodges those.

C: Seriously? We're talking about decks that have a chance at winning, not some garbage that isn't Tier 3.

D: So the real solution is, run Mental Misstep or Knight of the Reliquary. Awesome format you have there. Maybe you and Tom LaPille should sit down and talk about how awesome Great Sable Stag is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    There is something wrong when the best answer to a card is the card itself.
    Who says Mental Misstep needs to be answered? It's not Show and Tell into Emrakul. It's not Natural Order into Progenitus. It's not SFM into Batterskull. Mental Misstep doesn't need "answering" any more than Swords to Plowshares or Force of Will or Daze. It's not a game-winning play by itself and as such does not require an answer. It's simply a very strong tempo play.

The notion that you're required to run Mental Misstep in order to answer Mental Misstep is downright preposterous. The only time you're required to answer a card is if that card's resolution will unequivocally cause you to lose the game. If your deck is losing to a resolved Misstep, it's more likely a problem with your deck, not with Misstep.

If Misstep is actually a problem, (and I'm not convinced that it is,) it's because it pushes blue even further towards dominance, not because it's an objectively unfair card.

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT
    Maybe you and Tom LaPille should sit down and talk about how awesome Great Sable Stag is.
    That horse couldn't be any deader. It's time to put down the whip.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by CorpT View Post
    B: This is not a very practical solution. Against decks running Mental Misstep Zoo is:
    Merfolk: 66% (As it has always been)
    NO RUG: 50%
    UW Stoneblade: 40%
    Hivemind: 12%

So Zoo beats the creature based deck running Misstep and loses or splits with the Brainstorm based decks running Mental Misstep. Zoo isn't beating the Misstep/Brainstorm decks. It does well when it dodges those.

C: Seriously? We're talking about decks that have a chance at winning, not some garbage that isn't Tier 3.

D: So the real solution is, run Mental Misstep or Knight of the Reliquary. Awesome format you have there. Maybe you and Tom LaPille should sit down and talk about how awesome Great Sable Stag is.
    Zoo would lose to Stoneblade even without Brainstorm. Stoneforge->Batterskull is what makes you lose. Not Brainstorm.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Zoo would lose to Stoneblade even without Brainstorm. Stoneforge->Batterskull is what makes you lose. Not Brainstorm.
    And why do they always have a Stoneforge? And a counter for my removal? You can't point to one card and say "this is why blue dominates". It has a critical mass of cards that are superior to cards in other colors. They include: Brainstorm, Mental Misstep, Force of Will and Jace. This combination of cards are the reason blue is dominating. Vengevine without Survival was nothing and Survival without Vengevine was just another Tier 2 deck. But together...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

A king should never sit easy upon the Iron Throne
    Mar 2008
    Columbia, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Who says Mental Misstep needs to be answered? It's not Show and Tell into Emrakul. It's not Natural Order into Progenitus. It's not SFM into Batterskull. Mental Misstep doesn't need "answering" any more than Swords to Plowshares or Force of Will or Daze. It's not a game-winning play by itself and as such does not require an answer. It's simply a very strong tempo play.

The notion that you're required to run Mental Misstep in order to answer Mental Misstep is downright preposterous. The only time you're required to answer a card is if that card's resolution will unequivocally cause you to lose the game. If your deck is losing to a resolved Misstep, it's more likely a problem with your deck, not with Misstep.

If Misstep is actually a problem, (and I'm not convinced that it is,) it's because it pushes blue even further towards dominance, not because it's an objectively unfair card.

That horse couldn't be any deader. It's time to put down the whip.

This. This. This.

If you haven't read this well laid post, please read.

What one mana card ends a game on the spot when countered by mental misstep?
    Rest in peace, Grandpa Morphling.

Nemeses Slain:4

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Well that begs the question now doesn't it?
    No, it doesn't, and I'm not sure you understand what that phrase means. Begging the question does not refer to a situation in which a question is actually asked, it refers to a situation where A is true because of B and B is true because of A, but neither is an accepted premise.

How would you define as too good? A high representation in the Top 8? Abstract power? Relative power? Some other criteria?
    "Too good" would mean that it is either in a very large percentage of decks- at a guess, I would say that 2/3 is generally the red zone although it matters more for some card types than others- or that the card contributes to archetype or color stagnation.

But that's more of a call for looking at something to be banned, not necessarily the most prevalent card in that metagame. For instance, Force of Will was more common than Flash during GP: Flash, but Flash was the problem card that caused this shift.

Generally one should adopt a "least harm" approach to the banned list, which I think is the strongest argument for banning MM over Brainstorm if anything is to be banned.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I'm going to predict that Mental Misstep gets the axe tomorrow. Some random cards will probably come off the banned list, but I have no idea how the DCI decides what to unban.

Factors which make it likely for Mental Misstep to survive the banning tomorrow include the following:
    - "Answer" cards are inherently less broken than "threats", and Mental Misstep does allow fair decks to fight against combos.
    - Metagame has slowed down to some extent, so that control decks are more viable than previously.
    - Despite the previous point, Mental Misstep has discouraged players from playing the really slow decks that often cause rounds to go overtime (Countertop and High Tide strategies).
    - All colors--not just blue--now have access to answers against broken strategies like Storm.
    - Despite the prevalence of Mental Misstep (with Top 16s often running ~80% of the allowable slots), there is a lot of variation in decks that play Mental Misstep. That is to say, Mental Misstep isn't central to their strategies or a defining feature of the deck. The strategy of Survival decks clearly revolved around that single card. Mystical Tutor combo decks made use of broken sorceries and instants, and Tutor allowed them to easily and quickly assemble the necessary combo and/or any protection pieces (even though I would argue that Mystical Tutor decks didn't make up a disproportionate percentage of the metagame, nor were they too successful).

However, here are the factors in favor of banning Misstep:
    - The metagame now is clearly less diverse than it was from January to May. Decks like Goblins, Elves, Storm Combo, Countertop, and High Tide have fallen off the map. Despite their position as "Decks to Beat", I've noticed much less Rock, Zoo, and Merfolk than before (but they aren't extinct, just less played, which I think is fine in a healthy metagame). Regardless of whether you attribute these to other factors ("these decks are bad", "no one is willing to build their own deck", etc.), this point cannot be disputed.
    - Getting your 1-drop Misstepped countered in the early game doesn't just mean your threat is getting answered, but that you are taking a brutal tempo beating in a format in which tempo is even more important than ever. For this reason, I have added Mental Misstep to all my blue decks, added Mental Misstep to all my non-blue decks that can accommodate it (non-linear strategies like Zoo and Maverick), and no longer play decks that cannot accommodate Mental Misstep (Storm, Elves, Dredge, etc.--and in my opinion, Goblins, even though I am aware many players do include MM).
    - Even if all decks are able to cast Mental Misstep, the card is extremely strong in the early game (against a blind opponent, there is no single card I would rather see in my opening 7, even in multiples) and often a blank late during topdeck mode. Unfortunately, this has the consequence of making games swingier than ever. Similarly, it makes having Brainstorm more important than before. We have discussed the merits of banning Brainstorm, but it is because of Misstep that Brainstorm is more powerful than ever. (Personally, I think Brainstorm is overpowered, but it is a defining card of Legacy, intrinsic to the way it's played, so I would prefer it stays.)
    - The card is an answer, but it is also a huge tempo play, and the alternate cost of just two life is way too low. I would not argue that it is "broken", but I can see why someone would based on that logic.
    - The card sees way too much play, even more than Force of Will, Brainstorm, Tarmogoyf, etc. I don't think the ubiquity of a card is necessarily a bad thing, but many people do.

I personally don't think Mental Misstep is a card that needs to be banned, but it is a strong candidate for it. I will continue playing Legacy either way. I won't complain if it survives tomorrow, since it's probably my favorite card since Cursed Scroll, but I won't complain if it gets the axe either (and I would believe the format would be more fun as a result).

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by crovakiet View Post
    Sounds interesting, especially if it had Tom playing UW Mystic for the lulz. Is there a report anywhere for this tournament showing top 8 results and/or match summaries?
    The results are up, but only a few of the Top 8 lists have been posted as of yet. I walked around at one point and wrote down a lot of the archetypes, if you're interested. (I saw about half the room.)
    http://www.northwestmagic.com/forums...ead.php?t=4585

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    The results are up, but only a few of the Top 8 lists have been posted as of yet. I walked around at one point and wrote down a lot of the archetypes, if you're interested. (I saw about half the room.)
    http://www.northwestmagic.com/forums...ead.php?t=4585
    Man i'd find it hilarious if somehow SFM, NO and SnT get banned tomorrow.

Like laughing to no end.

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Well that begs the question now doesn't it?

How would you define as too good? A high representation in the Top 8? Abstract power? Relative power? Some other criteria?
    I'd use this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_dominance
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

I expect following:

Unbanned in legacy: Balance, Earthcraft, Land Tax.

Banned in Legacy: Mental Misstep, Brainstorm.
    Unbanned in Modern: Mental Misstep.
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

My guesses for Tuesday,

-brainstorm and mental misstep banned in legacy
    -grapeshot and empty the warrens banned in modern
    -No changes in vintage, type II, other formats

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    I expect following:

Unbanned in legacy: Balance, Earthcraft, Land Tax.

Banned in Legacy: Mental Misstep, Brainstorm.
    Unbanned in Modern: Mental Misstep.

I can't see Balance ever coming off the Legacy banned list.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    It's not a game-winning play by itself and as such does not require an answer.
    Zilla I agree with basically everything you've said except for this post. If you think Mental Misstep isn't a game-winning play, you've probably never had Dark Ritual or High Tide Misstepped.

EDIT: My (tenuous) banlist predictions.

Legacy: Misstep banned. Maybe Earthcraft or Mind Twist will come off, but I don't feel too confident about that.

Modern: Emrakul and Rite of Flame banned. Either Jace and/or Ancestral Visions unbanned.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

And why do they always have a Stoneforge?
    Because they mulligan until they find it.

And a counter for my removal?
    A. Because it's a deck full of counters.
    B. Ancestral Visions.
    C. Dig spells which could just as easily be Ponder or Preordain in that deck and not even make a difference.

You can't point to one card and say "this is why blue dominates". It has a critical mass of cards that are superior to cards in other colors. They include: Brainstorm, Mental Misstep, Force of Will and Jace. This combination of cards are the reason blue is dominating. Vengevine without Survival was nothing and Survival without Vengevine was just another Tier 2 deck. But together...
    Wait, just a second ago you were arguing that Brainstorm was the sole reason blue was dominating. Which is it?

edit- RE: http://www.northwestmagic.com/forums...ead.php?t=4585

It seems apparent to me that decks with a strategy based around tutoring and cheating mana costs are the ones actually dominating. Blaming Mental Misstep seems misguided. I honestly expect Natural Order to get the axe tomorrow, first of all. Secondly, Stoneforge Mystic is a candidate, however I think that it can be suppressed by decks that lose to Natural Order if NO gets banned. Show and Tell is also somewhat likely, but it doesn't tutor so they might leave it alone, even if it is obnoxious.
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

This is for sure one of the hardest B&R changes to call because Modern is going to get turned upside down if Wizards has any common sense at all.

My guesses, not what I want to happen, just guesses.
    Legacy
    Stoneforge Mystic- Banned
    Mind Twist- Unbanned
    Earthcraft- Unbanned

Modern
    Rite of Flame- Banned
    Emrakul- Banned
    Scapeshift- Banned

Valakut- Unbanned
    Ancestral Visions- Unbanned
    Golgari Grave-Troll- Unbanned
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Quote Originally Posted by joemauer View Post
    The best answers to SotF:

1: Play extirpate(black exclusive)

2: Play deck that doesn't care about SotF(fast combo)

3: Play SotF in your own deck.

Answers two and three sound like the answers you gave to battle MM.

- The fact that you are comparing SotF with MMS invalidates your position. MMS is a counterspell that only hits cmc1 spells while SotF is a win condition that can tutor 4/3 hasty dudes on turn 2/3. They are abou as comparable as an Island to Black Lotus.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Zilla I agree with basically everything you've said except for this post. If you think Mental Misstep isn't a game-winning play, you've probably never had Dark Ritual or High Tide Misstepped.
    Whenever Mental Misstep hitting Dark Ritual or High Tide actually wins a game it will most of the time be due to one (or both) of two things:

1) The Combo player is just bad.
    2) He's being pressured quite hard thus having to just go for it unprotected. In this case, Mental Misstep didn't actually win the game. It was just the last card played.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Because they mulligan until they find it.

A. Because it's a deck full of counters.
    B. Ancestral Visions.
    C. Dig spells which could just as easily be Ponder or Preordain in that deck and not even make a difference.

Wait, just a second ago you were arguing that Brainstorm was the sole reason blue was dominating. Which is it?
    -Don't waste your time with him. He's obviously has an agenda against blue decks/cards/things.

No, it doesn't, and I'm not sure you understand what that phrase means. Begging the question does not refer to a situation in which a question is actually asked, it refers to a situation where A is true because of B and B is true because of A, but neither is an accepted premise.
    - I worried my rhetorical question poorly.

"Too good" would mean that it is either in a very large percentage of decks- at a guess, I would say that 2/3 is generally the red zone although it matters more for some card types than others- or that the card contributes to archetype or color stagnation.

But that's more of a call for looking at something to be banned, not necessarily the most prevalent card in that metagame. For instance, Force of Will was more common than Flash during GP: Flash, but Flash was the problem card that caused this shift.

Generally one should adopt a "least harm" approach to the banned list, which I think is the strongest argument for banning MM over Brainstorm if anything is to be banned.

- So in other words you have only a vague idea of what would need to be banned using your criteria? Do you think MM should be banned over brainstorm? Do you think either should be banned?

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. Mental Misstep isn't overpowered just because it makes combo play fair with non-blue decks. I mean I'm sure it was nice having a 70% matchup vs. Zoo/Goblins/Rock/Sligh decks for the past 7 years, but now a days there is finally a relevant SB cards vs. combo. I personally don't think Misstep countering a Ritual effect that would have won you the game for free qualifies it as particularly ban worthy. On the contrary I think that is the exact reason it should never be banned.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Thread Information