View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 829 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 329729779819825826827828829830831832833839879929 ... LastLast
Results 16,561 to 16,580 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    Give Burn some love. Or Fish, Affinity.
    They have to be careful because doing so will affect Modern in a much stronger way than it will affect Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    They have to be careful because doing so will affect Modern in a much stronger way than it will affect Legacy.
    They can always stick it in the commander sets.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Got to be careful what you give white. You don't really want miracles to co-opt it.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

You basically have to be careful with any non blue effect. If you get a powerful effect that is easily splashable then the blue decks just adopt it. That is one reason I am very unhappy with Harsh Mentor not being symmetrical. It most likely will be best utilized by the blue decks and just contribute to the lack of diversity in deck building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    You would think. But back in (I think) 2011 WotC started to support a casual format called Commander. They released 5 preconstructed 100 card decks which included a handful of all new cards - legal in Legacy but not in Modern. Flash forward to 2014, and WotC releases Conspiracy - a non-standard-legal expansion set actually designed for multiplayer limited! Again, the new cards were legal in Legacy but not in Modern.

Both these releases have had follow-ups (and something called Planechase or Archenemy too). They provide a venue for new eternal-only cards, as well as essential reprints. This is not an abstract theory. Flusterstorm, Strix, Prelate, and others all come from such products.

WotC shouldn't require too much caution to keep Legacy plants in the correct packages I think.

Also, WotC have their heads up their asses. Wild Growth is too powerful for Standard, but Legacy quality midrange value is not? R&D philosophy needs a new shake up.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    You basically have to be careful with any non blue effect. If you get a powerful effect that is easily splashable then the blue decks just adopt it. That is one reason I am very unhappy with Harsh Mentor not being symmetrical. It most likely will be best utilized by the blue decks and just contribute to the lack of diversity in deck building.
    The problem is that if it's symmetrical, no one will use it, E.G. Anhk of Mishra. It's too difficult to fit into legacy if it's symmetrical. EotGR for example could be in Jund, Delver, etc.. and drive the CMC up a bit if it were easier to cast or not symmetrical. The problem with the card is that double-pumping goyf, burning yourself, and having no fat on the front end make it very risky to include in a deck.

If it's not symmetrical then even Jund and other non-blue decks can experiment without being both inconsistent AND self-punishing. That card may not be good enough to do anything, but it's getting there.

It's a card that punishes both D&T and Miracles (and aluren, lol.) more than other decks. It also doesn't keep you from using DRS or fetches, meaning it may actually see play.

I'm on a big tangent now, but the fact is, if it was symmetrical, sure.. that's better card design for Casual or Mtg:15-Years-Ago; but the problem is they've fucked that sideways for the last 10-15 years for most cards. Most things don't have drawbacks now; (though it's entertaining that Thalia and EotGR do.) But then.. Thalia would be a hell of a lot more decks if she wasn't two-sided.

I agree that card-design and game-design wise (of old) he should hit both sides, but the fact is.. he will be lucky to see much play as is.

Aside: I think that he exists in part to counter Lantern Control in modern while helping legacy a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    The problem is that if it's symmetrical, no one will use it, E.G. Anhk of Mishra. It's too difficult to fit into legacy if it's symmetrical. EotGR for example could be in Jund, Delver, etc.. and drive the CMC up a bit if it were easier to cast or not symmetrical. The problem with the card is that double-pumping goyf, burning yourself, and having no fat on the front end make it very risky to include in a deck.

If it's not symmetrical then even Jund and other non-blue decks can experiment without being both inconsistent AND self-punishing. That card may not be good enough to do anything, but it's getting there.

It's a card that punishes both D&T and Miracles (and aluren, lol.) more than other decks. It also doesn't keep you from using DRS or fetches, meaning it may actually see play.

I'm on a big tangent now, but the fact is, if it was symmetrical, sure.. that's better card design for Casual or Mtg:15-Years-Ago; but the problem is they've fucked that sideways for the last 10-15 years for most cards. Most things don't have drawbacks now; (though it's entertaining that Thalia and EotGR do.) But then.. Thalia would be a hell of a lot more decks if she wasn't two-sided.

I agree that card-design and game-design wise (of old) he should hit both sides, but the fact is.. he will be lucky to see much play as is.

Aside: I think that he exists in part to counter Lantern Control in modern while helping legacy a little bit.
    I agree from a power level standpoint. But I really don't like bad design even if it does benefit the things that I enjoy or hate on things I don't enjoy. I really do hope that this is actually good enough to hate on Miracles (though I doubt it). My fear is that it's just another tool for the blue decks that can now get good hate against non blue decks. It all boils down to the cantrip cartel being the best thing (consistency and power level combined) in the format and easily absorbing anything it touches.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I agree from a power level standpoint. But I really don't like bad design even if it does benefit the things that I enjoy or hate on things I don't enjoy. I really do hope that this is actually good enough to hate on Miracles (though I doubt it). My fear is that it's just another tool for the blue decks that can now get good hate against non blue decks. It all boils down to the cantrip cartel being the best thing (consistency and power level combined) in the format and easily absorbing anything it touches.
    Fully agree. I think it'll probably go into Grixis Delver and may well be good enough to push that deck again, since D&T and Miracles are it's only issues. Add in that they can run Decay next to it and in theory their miracles MU is reasonable, and their D&T MU should be brutal since he becomes must remove.

I don't believe he'll hate out miracles more than a percentage point or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if D&T numbers drop a lot from it and UBRg Delver is out in force. Noteworthy; it is garbage against Eldrazi and pretty mediocre against BUG anything (it only hits fetches and DRS.) Looks like he's reasonable against lands if you keep them off of PFire as well.

That said, he really adds to the mana disruption package of Delver since you can force people to play into him by hitting their lands. I wouldn't be surprised if Stifle is back out there as well.

Shit. I better get back on topic.. Ban brainstorm! Unban Mind Twist! Etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

So how long until we get Survival of the Fittest back?
    There's been a bunch of counterplay printed since it's banning long ago.

Abrupt Decay
    Deathrite Shaman
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Grafdigger's Cage
    Rest in Peace
    (Just to name a few)

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by EmoPizza View Post

Abrupt Decay
    Deathrite Shaman
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Grafdigger's Cage
    Rest in Peace
    (Just to name a few)
    Surgical
    Scavenging Ooze
    Snap caster (with surgical or swords)
    Containment Priest

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by EmoPizza View Post

Abrupt Decay
    Deathrite Shaman
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Grafdigger's Cage
    Rest in Peace
    (Just to name a few)
    Do is all a favor and just read through the last 20ish pages of this thread to see the arguments on the matter and your so-called "counterplays". There is no need to go over the same stuff every month
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Don't forget:

Delver of Secrets
    Monastery mentor
    Monastery Swiftspear
    Young Pyromancer
    Gurmag Angler
    Misthollow griffin
    True name-nemesis
    Baleful Stryx
    Thought-knot Seer
    Reality Smasher

All new powerful creatures that are good only in non-survival decks (because of mana requirements, see stryx and TNN, deck building requirements, prowess/delve creatures, or because they go with a different engine, see griffins which want Food chain/manipulate fate and eldrazis which want tons of C lands). You could add also SFM in there but the card is seeing extremely scarce play nowadays and also it could go in some survival shells even if it would probably be bad in there (super durdly in an already durdly sotf deck).

But survival get better with new better creatures guise! Totally! I swear! Loyal retainer for Iona T4 too borken for the format!

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Do is all a favor and just read through the last 20ish pages of this thread to see the arguments on the matter and your so-called "counterplays". There is no need to go over the same stuff every month
    I think if I read though the thread I would come to the view you are the minority voice here. Most of us think this card will do no harm. I mean feel free to rail road others with your point of view, but don't make out you have the high ground here. Your pretty much on your own.
    Last edited by Dice_Box; 04-21-2017 at 05:04 AM.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

To be fair, we've been going over on BS for nearly 10 years now.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I think if I read though the thread I would come to the view you are the minority voice here. Most of us think this card will do no harm. I mean feel free to rail road others with your point of view, but don't make out you have the high ground here. Your pretty much on your own.
    I didn't say that. I just said, that we had the whole forth and back on the topic already countless times and nothing, literally nothing had changed in terms of the metagame, cardpool, printing policy or the like since then.

"Harm" is a vague word here imo. Further streamlining of BGx decks would qualify here in my eyes if Elves, Jund and Maverick all possibly merge into a single pile. In case one understands "harm" as in "affects the top dogs", then no, it would most likely not.

I just don't see any reason to take a risk by further streamlining creature decks for less diversity with ongoing creature power creep, which got SotF banned in the first place
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

"Harm" is a vague word here imo. Further streamlining of BGx decks would qualify here in my eyes if Elves, Jund and Maverick all possibly merge into a single pile.
    Maverick and Jund have merged into a single pile. It's called 4c Loam.

I have not much opinion on Survival - I'm not sure how it would affect the meta. I do agree there is a (potential) danger of streamlining. But I'm skeptical about Elves losing its identity. Elves is based around tribal synergies, and cannot imo merge with good-stuff decks.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    Maverick and Jund have merged into a single pile. It's called 4c Loam.

I have not much opinion on Survival - I'm not sure how it would affect the meta. I do agree there is a (potential) danger of streamlining. But I'm skeptical about Elves losing its identity. Elves is based around tribal synergies, and cannot imo merge with good-stuff decks.
    Dunno. I feel that since Elves run Jitte, Leovold, planeswalkers and sometimes even MB Decays, the deck is already on the way of becoming a BUG goodstuff pile. Essentially, I have little interrest in Survival just spilling oil into the fire of the whole BGx vs UWx metagame.

Join us at Facebook!

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Ongoing power creep is a rocky argument. Entomb was at one point banned, times changed and it found itself as a common but rather mundane part of Legacy. If Grizzlebees isn't the ultimate show of creep for that card I don't know what is. But that said, Entomb now only plays a role, but it's nothing more than an actor in a larger whole. Something I feel Survival would mirror.

As for Survival merging a ton of decks together:

Jund is not a deck Legacy, it's just not. You can use it as a tool in debate, sure, but to be honest no one thinks twice about the deck. Why play Red over Blue? Your not morphing Jund into anything if you bring it back, your resuscitating it.

Elves and Survival? Not sure why I would to be honest. It's better off as it stands now. True Card advantage in Glimpse, early speed gained by GSZ matched by its late game gains. I am not sure I want to change much of that.

Maverick would change. But that's really what it needs. It doesn't have the kind of tools Elves does in Glimpse or NO, it lacks the filtering that BUG has or the Card Advantage Loam has. In this case I think this would be useful.

This doesn't appear to be harmful to me. A player in the format yes, a blight on the format no. I mean we can all look back at the negative effects old cards had on us and the format years ago, but if we ignore that an opening hand of DRS and Decay across the table from us is a real issue for a deck, we are not judging the current time we are in fairly. We are looking only at the point in time the effect was strongest. At a time the choice was justified.

The question is not was the choice just, the question is if it is still just in a modern changing Legacy. I feel it's not.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2014
    London

The view from a Miracles player on the B&R lsit

https://thelibraryatpendrellvale.com...the-kingmaker/

I hope you enjoy it!

Sib

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Sibelius View Post
    The view from a Miracles player on the B&R lsit

https://thelibraryatpendrellvale.com...the-kingmaker/

I hope you enjoy it!

Sib
    Mmm, that is some tasty bias.

Why are so many decks running Deathrites? Because they all want to slash Green.

Why do they want to splash Green? Because they feel they need Abrupt Decay.

Why do they feel they need Decay? Because you can't effectively fight the Miracles cards with Counterbalance on the board.

But yeah, ban Deathrite...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information