View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 84 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788941341845841084 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Currently dont see any cards that are to strong to be banned in the format atm.

Think its very strange still no maindecked gravehate when decks to beat are UW-stoneblades with snapcaster, Dredge, Reanimator, Treash with Snapcaster, Teamamerica sometimes packs snapcaster and maverick that uses KotR, loam and Ooze to abuse graveyards. What more have to abuse graveyards to be played maindecked?

Nov 2006
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Rizso View Post
    Currently dont see any cards that are to strong to be banned in the format atm.

Think its very strange still no maindecked gravehate when decks to beat are UW-stoneblades with snapcaster, Dredge, Reanimator, Treash with Snapcaster, Teamamerica sometimes packs snapcaster and maverick that uses KotR, loam and Ooze to abuse graveyards. What more have to abuse graveyards to be played maindecked?
    This is true, but there's this thing the players consider when adding a hate card to their decks, which is how useful it will be if it can't do what they are supposed to. The only exception seems to be creature removal, which is often dead and still played, because a big part of the decks do play creatures that must be answered.

In this situation, the best maindeck hates are Scavenging Ooze, and to a minor extent Faerie Macabre and Relic of Progenitus. Ooze is played, and a great GSZ target. Relic couls see more play because it cantrips itself, but on the other hand, it prevents yourself from abusing grave. Faerie is meh...
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

Gang leader of the Squirtle Squad
    Oct 2010
    Germany

And all those cards are blanks to Show and Tell from Reanimators sideboard... .
    That is the problem I was trying to explain.
    The thing is that Show and Tell allows both Hive Mind and Reanimator to be resilient to particular hate.
    This problem might be solved through disruption in the form of Counterspells or Discard, but it is just hilarious that each deck should be able to pack those, especially if Leyline of Sanctity is a common sideboard card in Hive Mind.
    At the end of the day some decks that have a bazillion tricks (like GW Maverick) and are not blue will be able to steal a game here and there but those MU stay horrible.
    I am just annoyed how those decks (especially Reanimator) are keeping so many decks away from beeing played.
    There is no clear way to go for non-blue decks to have a shot at winning against those decks postboard (lets not talk about preboard, srsly) because the hate-cards that are ment to pull the MU into someones favour can be highly ignored due to Show and Tell.
    And this is all besides the fact that it really is not fun to play against Reanimator, Sneak Show and Hive Mind, mostly because of the lack of interaction.
    Dont get me wrong here, no interaction is also fact when playing against Stormcombo or Dredge most of the time, but these decks have real weak spots in comparison, same is true for Painter.

I have to admit that I never was a fan of 2 card combos, but there really should be a limit to the powerlevel of those.
    When the result is that so many decks arent even able to be played because of the existence of them, it IS unhealthy, even if the number of Reanimator/Show and Tell based combo decks isnt that dramatic as for example Survival.
    Opening up the format and keeping it diverse is the part of R&D's job and I am truly disappointed how they messed that up as a whole with New Phyrexia (Jin, Batterskull, Mistep).
    Having a shitload of top 8's that look like Combo, Tempo, Control means death to so many decks and this isnt just based on the SCG-copy-cat factor, which R&D might consider the most when it comes down banning cards.
    The devils in the detail and players should really think about which cards create the situation Legacy is in right now.
    In response...Hypothek!

Quote Originally Posted by I am the brainwasher View Post
    1: Show and Tell banned. Explanation why Magic isnt about decks that require the IQ of an drunken monkey and that this is the reason why Reanimator cant be hated out effectiveley. Plus beeing the most redicolous 2 card-combo-piece and rofl why Earthcraft was banned while S&T beeing legal.

2: Snapcaster Mage banned. Apologize that they even thought about this card beeing blue and had the impudence to really let that happen.
    1) No.
    2) Yes! That card is just wrong on so many levels and obnoxious.

My prediction:
    No changes.
    Needs more goyfs.

Don't think anything deserves to be banned at the moment

My prediction: Brainstorm is banned.

Reason: WotC tries to coerce Legacy players to play Modern.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Legacy? Probalby no changes.

Modern: oh they'll find some way to make it even more fucking boring...you'll see.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

I predicted Survival of the Fittest and Mental Misstep getting the banhammer (and haven't incorrectly predicted anything else getting banned in the meantime), so I thought it'd be fun to try again.

Prediction for 12/20: No new bannings.
    I'll concede the following cards have a very small possibility of getting the axe, roughly in decreasing order: Brainstorm (already discussed ad nauseam), Snapcaster Mage (not sure why, I don't even think it's that great), Show and Tell (certainly not dominating, but probably the most fundamentally broken enabler effect legal right now). However, I don't think any of them will get banned this time (or in the future).

Once again, not sure about unbannings. I never try to predict these since they feel pretty random. If I had to pick a few possibilities, in roughly decreasing order: Land Tax, Black Vise, Earthcraft, Worldgorger Dragon, Mind Twist.

Just another 6 CMC dragon
    Mar 2009
    Happy Valley, OR

Here's a recent tweet from Forsythe: https://twitter.com/#!/mtgaaron/stat...18640905838593

I can't help but imagine that SFM (and maybe GSZ, though it sounds more like SFM) is in jeopardy of being banned, considering R&D already hates tutoring to begin with... especially a really powerful tutor like SFM. Am I being paranoid from a random tweet or is this something to be actually worried about?
    The same Surging Chaos on Salvation.

Quote Originally Posted by Surging Chaos View Post
    Here's a recent tweet from Forsythe: https://twitter.com/#!/mtgaaron/stat...18640905838593

I can't help but imagine that SFM (and maybe GSZ, though it sounds more like SFM) is in jeopardy of being banned, considering R&D already hates tutoring to begin with... especially a really powerful tutor like SFM. Am I being paranoid from a random tweet or is this something to be actually worried about?
    SFM I could easily see being banned.

Wizards also forgets that Snapcaster Mage is a tutor too - a reverse tutor.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

That tweet is actually extremely worrisome. Maverick is one of the best placed non-blue decks in the format to keep blue-based aggro control in check. It's a very strong deck, but it's not overpowered, imo. It would be a shame to see it take a hit when it provides such a strong option to players who don't want to play blue.

I don't really expect anything to get banned in legacy. Although I get annoyed that Blue always seems to get the best cards when new sets come out. I finally had to wait until Innistrad for a playable black planeswalker to come out.

LOL, at least I'm not a red player as all the Chandra versions suck.

Out of the list I see that you can vote on, I'd pick Sensei's Divining top. It combos with counterbalance which i find annoying but also mainly it EATS up so much time.

My wish is for R&D to print cards in colours other than blue that are legacy viable, and also print cards that give other colours other dynamics. Eg. Faithless looting is a start. I laughed when some people complained that red is going to get card filtering....all red has at the moment is burn. Even their creatures for the most part aren't that good, aside from a few exceptions like Lavamancer.

I will have to say though that Force of Will and brainstorm are great cards but shouldn't be banned. Force of will's existence prevents the really broken combo decks from running rampant. If i could ban some blue cards, it certainly wouldn't be those 2.

Dec 2009
    Germany

The Forsythe comment on Maverick really worries me (and no, I am not playing the deck).
    The deck has the best game a Aggro-deck could have against a combo deck (even if still not favored) exactly because of it's tutoring power.
    Powering out a Teeg or a Canonist on turn two with some consistency is really good.

I really hope they don't ban GSZ. That would be just bad.

Banning SFM would also be bad in my opinion. The Stone-Blade decks were the first Control decks viable in Legacy after a long time with almost no Control in the Meta. However I could understand the point for banning it (actually the first thing I thought when seeing the card was: "What the f....? I thought they didn't want to print cheap tutors anymore and now they print one on a stick that allows cheating the tutored cards into play in addition")

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    That tweet is actually extremely worrisome. Maverick is one of the best placed non-blue decks in the format to keep blue-based aggro control in check. It's a very strong deck, but it's not overpowered, imo. It would be a shame to see it take a hit when it provides such a strong option to players who don't want to play blue.
    According to TC Decks, Maverick is the top deck at the moment (20 top 8s this month).

A non-blue deck having some results? Unaccettable.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Oibade View Post
    According to TC Decks, Maverick is the top deck at the moment (20 top 8s this month).

A non-blue deck having some results? Unaccettable.
    It looks that way to the untrained eye. The problem is that you haven't taken into account that the same blue tempo strategy with the same core of cards yet with different color splashes have different deck names, and as such they look like they aren't as prevalent even though their joined number is 6x times higher, even after adding all the Zoo tops to Maverick to compensate.

Also, Maverick gets to Top 8, but it's really hard to find any relevant tournament where it gets to Top 4 or better. I know because I've done the research and I would like to believe it's a good option against blue, but the data contradicts it as it loses against their "favored matchups" at the top tables. The only nonblue deck I've seen that repeatedly crushes blue in the Top 8 matches is Red Painter, which would be my choice of deck to bring to a tournament if I had 3 byes and could afford 4x Imperial Recruiters. But as a single Imperial Recruiter costs more than a playset of FoWs, it's a waste of time, effort, and money to go that route when you can play a blue deck instead and beat all the decks in the meta. And I'm not even sure that Red Painter could win against blue if these decks actually packed hate against it in their sideboard.
    Please stop talking about whether Force of Will is broken or not. It obviously is, and rather than "the glue that holds vintage together" it would be better to call it "the rug under which you hide the filth until there's so much that you can no longer conceal it".

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
    The only nonblue deck I've seen that repeatedly crushes blue in the Top 8 matches is Red Painter, which would be my choice of deck to bring to a tournament if I had 3 byes and could afford 4x Imperial Recruiters. But as a single Imperial Recruiter costs more than a playset of FoWs, it's a waste of time, effort, and money to go that route when you can play a blue deck instead and beat all the decks in the meta. And I'm not even sure that Red Painter could win against blue if these decks actually packed hate against it in their sideboard.
    Imperial Painter is fucking brutal against blue decks, due to the many angles it attacks them from (maindeck blasts, Moon effects against fragile manabases, SSG to play around Daze, combined with the threat of extremely fast kills is very difficult to answer). Builds with Welder also have very scary inevitability. Off the top of my head, the only blue deck I can say is actually favored against Painter (ironically) is Spiral Tide. I would totally put Painter together if Recruiter was actually a reasonable price though.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    It's a very strong deck, but it's not overpowered, imo.
    I could see the argument that it overshadows other agro decks, but I don't like the idea of where that would leave the format if DCI were to take action against Green Sun's Zenith.

Maverick has better threat density than any agro deck the format has seen. For instance thinking back to Goblins being a primer agro deck - it's Lackeys lose substantial power as the board develops and Vial has always had the drawback of being lackluster in multiples. Maverick's ramp - Noble's triggers and obviously more-so GSZ's utility both hold value so much better in the midgame.

In this sense I think it does put a lot of pressure on other agro decks. When one thinks about sleeving up some variation of Jund, Zoo, Goblins, etc I think they're noticeably out classed, but without Maverick there's still a pile of Legacy decks that are stronger than these options.

That said, I don't think this deck is unbeatable - it's performance at major events doesn't indicate this to be the case either. This is a format where Storming an opponent out or dropping Emrakul on them is an option before they've made their 1st Land drop, I feel like DCI'd be on a bit of a trip if they drop the ban hammer on GW dorks.

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by Surging Chaos View Post

Am I mouth breathing too hard? How does he come up with "18 maindeck tutors, 8 of which are reusable, and 2 more in the 'board. "

edit- link to the list: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=42681

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post
    Am I mouth breathing too hard? How does he come up with "18 maindeck tutors, 8 of which are reusable, and 2 more in the 'board. "
    Fetchlands (lol), reusable with Witness and Loam.

EDIT: Gerry might now have played witness though.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Man, imagine everyone whining about blue being 80% of the T8 of every tournament and they go banning GSZ to make it 100%.
    That would seriously kill the format. Like for real.

Thread Information