View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 864 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 364764814854860861862863864865866867868874914964 ... LastLast
Results 17,261 to 17,280 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    Is this thread really more worried about a 3/1 for 3 and not the card that enables greedy manabases and casts that dreaded 3/1 for 3?
    That is an extremely loaded question with the way you phrased it.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

well, tnn is obnoxiously uninteractive. It's the first thing I'd like to have removed from legacy...

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

That is an extremely loaded question with the way you phrased it.
    A bit but to suggest that TNN is more problematic than DRS simply because it's hard to kill and holds a sword incredibly well is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Site Contributor
    Sep 2015
    Austin TX

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    the card that enables greedy manabases and casts that dreaded 3/1 for 3?
    You mean Brainstorm?

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

No that just gives my opponent an aneurysm and causes them to lose all motor control.

I definitely understand the confusion
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Sure, but how do we distinguish between "S&T is the problem" and "Griselderp is the problem?"
    I kind of look at it as whether they think the archetype itself is the problem (if so then ban the enablers) or if they think the archetype is fine but just a little overpowered (if so then ban the best payoffs or fast mana type cards).

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    I kind of look at it as whether they think the archetype itself is the problem (if so then ban the enablers) or if they think the archetype is fine but just a little overpowered (if so then ban the best payoffs or fast mana type cards).
    For me it's honestly not that - as far as objective powerlevel goes, both TNN and S&T+Omnibrand are manageable. Neither breaks the format. They're just distilled binaryness and boredom concentrate and rob the show floor from more nuanced and interesting boardstates and more, for the lack of a better word, "magical" ways to do broken things. I don't want prison to be lockpiece, kek im ded, but slowly succumbing to the inexorable burdens of Smokestack and Crucible or your deck gradually ceasing to operate as Revokers and Mindcensors twist the rules of the game to say "fuck you". I'd like to have Protection from everything not be a casual beater but the actual risk and investment that Natural Order requires. That GY hate didn't perma-delete everything constantly. Simple stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    For me it's honestly not that - as far as objective powerlevel goes, both TNN and S&T+Omnibrand are manageable. Neither breaks the format. They're just distilled binaryness and boredom concentrate and rob the show floor from more nuanced and interesting boardstates and more, for the lack of a better word, "magical" ways to do broken things. I don't want prison to be lockpiece, kek im ded, but slowly succumbing to the inexorable burdens of Smokestack and Crucible or your deck gradually ceasing to operate as Revokers and Mindcensors twist the rules of the game to say "fuck you". I'd like to have Protection from everything not be a casual beater but the actual risk and investment that Natural Order requires. That GY hate didn't perma-delete everything constantly. Simple stuff like that.
    From now on, whatever Zombie says I probably agree

I just hate that the argument against mind Twist is that even if it's not too powerful it "adds nothing" to the format. But that's exactly how I feel about True Name and Show and Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    I tend to agree with you. The problem is where do you draw the line. You can say it's subjectively boring to play a game where the first two turns of the opponent is T1: Underground Sea, DRS, go. Daze your play. T2: wasteland your land, go. Same can be said for any number of things like Storm which is the kind of deck that does nothing until it goes for it or Chalice decks which are Sol Land Chalice go or Sol Land Mox Bloodmoon, "lol I win."

If you remove all of these you wind up with a shitty format like Frontier which is just a bunch of midrange value decks with a single strategy for winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I just hate that the argument against mind Twist is that even if it's not too powerful it "adds nothing" to the format. But that's exactly how I feel about True Name and Show and Chimp
    AFAIK, that's not an actual argument used by WotC/DCI to justify the continued ban. It's just players flapping their mouths.

Also, for what it's worth, TNN does help to keep (non-D&T) Blade decks relevant. Personally I don't care at all, but I think SFM is a card a lot of people do like to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    If you remove all of these you wind up with a shitty format like Frontier which is just a bunch of midrange value decks with a single strategy for winning.
    Yeah. I cringe whenever I see players advocating the banning of an (admittedly not oppressive) card or deck on the grounds that they don't personally enjoy it.
    We've all seen the results of WotC's fun policing in other formats.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    AFAIK, that's not an actual argument used by WotC/DCI to justify the continued ban. It's just players flapping their mouths.
    I would hate to dig through years of Rosewater's blogs, but I mentioned in "Current State of Magic" that the answer I got from Rosewater himself when I queried on Mind Twist (because even years ago we all said "yeah, like.. just put it back in already") was simply "Lol cuz it's broken", possibly spelled differently.

WotC's main spot-light guy thinks it's too bonkers; can't say much for the other people there but I'd imagine anything ever deemed broken in the past is deemed broken now by default.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

May 2015
    PDX

I don't think TNN is really on the power level of ban-worthy. If there's a good reason to ban it, I would point to its intended use of naming an opponent in a game with 2-3 total opponents. There's plenty of poorly designed uninteractive cards, but we're generally not going to see ban + here's the fixed version (like Earthcraft and Cryptolith Rite). I'm not really sure what the point of talking about fix vs ban is, but these would be changes that would make legacy better for some uninteractive cards:
    -TNN: in a game with >1 opponent, choose 1. Alternatively, choose a player or a PW and TNN gains protection from that player's spells or that PW's abilities.
    -Cavern of Souls: mana generated can only be used to cast named tribe (like Mishra's Workshop). Additionally change wording to say mana can be used to cast noncreature spells of named tribe, just without uncounterability clause. As far as Eldrazi are concerned, Cavern's colorless mana gains tribal uncounterable wording.
    -Aether Vial: forced to add a counter each turn. Alternatively, when activated and creature is put into play (or attempted in the case of say Priest on board), remove all counters.
    -Counterbalance: symmetrical and pay 2 life to counter a spell. Adding Cumulative Upkeep on top of those fixes is overkill, but definitely not without precedent (see Tidal Control).

In the interim, you can at least take solace in the fact that decks that run a card like TNN are generally unable to deal with it and will continue to suffer losses to Thoughtseize, Reanimate that. As long as the "strategy" is turn 1 mana dork #1 of 8 in an attempt to turn 2 TNN, they won't have mana up to hide their own loss-con with Brainstorm.

Edit: thinking more about Aether Vial, it could have also been pretty much the same card but just made into a land so it could just be Blood Moon'd, Wastelanded, etc while further compromising a deck's mana base to loss by color-screw.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I would hate to dig through years of Rosewater's blogs, but I mentioned in "Current State of Magic" that the answer I got from Rosewater himself when I queried on Mind Twist (because even years ago we all said "yeah, like.. just put it back in already") was simply "Lol cuz it's broken", possibly spelled differently.

WotC's main spot-light guy thinks it's too bonkers; can't say much for the other people there but I'd imagine anything ever deemed broken in the past is deemed broken now by default.

>anything ever deemed broken in the past is deemed broken now by default

And conversely, if it wasn't broken 10 years ago it ain't broken now: Show and Tell/Griselbrand etc.

Edit: Can we unban Nedleeds already? This thread blows without him.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

And conversely, if it wasn't broken 10 years ago it ain't broken now: Show and Tell/Griselbrand etc.

I agree. This thread without him is as bad as Legacy without Top and BS still in.

Lol

Turn 1:Swamp, Dark Ritual, Entomb, Exhume, Sire of Insanity

Yeah, Mind Twist sure is BROKEN IN HALF

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by NeckBird View Post
    Lol

Turn 1:Swamp, Dark Ritual, Entomb, Exhume, Sire of Insanity

Yeah, Mind Twist sure is BROKEN IN HALF
    Naw, Sire is totally fine b/c it's Mind Twist'y on a creature - that's how you know it's healthy for magic.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Only if I get an IOU for 3 months from now when you realize the metagame is going to look even more homogenous.
    Well, I just put your pet deck back into the DTB, so I am going to go and call this IOU null and void.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Well, I just put your pet deck back into the DTB
    oh Dice... what happened to your scruples?!

If you put his pet deck in the DTB you have to everyone's decks into DTB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    The difference in Vintage is that they seem to be weighing heavily on one heavily inbred small metagame in the VSL. If the legacy league on MODO takes off it's a great thing, but I really hope that because we still have some large legacy tourney every month or two that any future decisions wouldn't rest solely on the Legacy MODO league
    I know this is an old post, but the recent 5-0 list changes make it relevant again.

I was a strong proponent of using League results to inform (un)banning decisions because they represent such a large dataset, but even apart from the reduced utility of a nonrandom sample under WotC's new standard for releasing 5-0 decklists, there's another problem with using League results to inform yourself about the paper Legacy metagame: the low cost and high liquidity of MODO decks means that there's a lot more metagame churn online than there is in paper, which could lead to false conclusions about how healthy the metagame is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    I agree. This thread without him is as bad as Legacy without Top and BS still in.
    The hell? Why was he banned?

Thread Information