View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 865 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 365765815855861862863864865866867868869875915965 ... LastLast
Results 17,281 to 17,300 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by whocansay View Post
    The hell? Why was he banned?
    Krosan Midrange Tempo broke the format.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

I know this thread is a cesspool of Ban the Cantrip Cartel, but I'm starting to get more and more on the Probe needs to go plan.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    I know this thread is a cesspool of Ban the Cantrip Cartel, but I'm starting to get more and more on the Probe needs to go plan.
    Why? Genuinely curious, and not trying to ignite a shitstorm.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I think Gitaxian Probe is the card players (at least on Twitter) are the most unhappy about. Talking to guys like Rodrigo, who even plays a deck that benefits from it, they also really want the card gone. The card takes away so much from the hidden information game, it's really sad. Magic is a game calculated risk taking and reading signals. Probe has taken away quite a lot from that every time it comes down early.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

It's an unfun card that takes away a lot of skill, it's also fucking insane. Free storm, free card to delve, free pyromancer or mentor token, makes cabal therapy nuts, cheats deck construction by essentially giving you 56 card deck. I mean there's a reason it's banned in modern and restricted in vintage
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Agree with both of the above. Unfun and busted.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

My two least liked cards in currently legacy are Ancient tomb as well as Gitaxian Probe.

Both have so little downside it's absurd, imo. There's a reason Probe is banned in modern and restricted in vintage. The card does soooo much for so little.

Ancient tomb is just unfun.

I woudnd't shred a tear over porbe, it's such an annoying card and really gives the slower reactive decks a big handicap

Also wouldn't be bad if Grixis Delver would take a small hit, its unfortunate that storm and other combo decks would take a hit too, but online G.Delver is just everywhere....

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Not trying to get into a B&R clusterfuck again, but its quite amusing that there was the rant about discard being "unplayable thanks to brainstorm" for years and now we want to ban cards for making discard good.

With that being said, I sure see the issues Probe created with its printing and I think it took quite some time for people to realize. I however am not quite convinced that banning the card had an actual impact on the current metagame shape. It would not make Grixis/storm/etc much easier to beat as these decks can just slightly rebalance their cantrips/mana/disruption triangle accordingly. With Probes entry in the metagame, people once cut a land, a piece of disruption and 2 cantrips to fit in the Probes, a step which is easily reversible
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Not trying to get into a B&R clusterfuck again, but its quite amusing that there was the rant about discard being "unplayable thanks to brainstorm" for years and now we want to ban cards for making discard good.

With that being said, I sure see the issues Probe created with its printing and I think it took quite some time for people to realize. I however am not quite convinced that banning the card had an actual impact on the current metagame shape. It would not make Grixis/storm/etc much easier to beat as these decks can just slightly rebalance their cantrips/mana/disruption triangle accordingly. With Probes entry in the metagame, people once cut a land, a piece of disruption and 2 cantrips to fit in the Probes, a step which is easily reversible
    It won't have a massive impact on the metagame shape, which I exactly why I think it would be good to go.
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

I mean, in Modern, it would just make the Death's Shadow decks even more busted, being free life-loss, an information gatherer and a cantrip[/i].

In Legacy, I can also see the reasons why it's being called for a banning, but I'm lerss certain that, should a banning be required, that is the right card to hit.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    It won't have a massive impact on the metagame shape, which I exactly why I think it would be good to go.
    If you have no intent to fix or shakeup a broken metagame, I see no compelling reason to touch it.

This looks a lot like a call for a ban put of boredom rather than the card or interactions being outright oppressive and in the same way people have targeted DRS a while ago. You can find reasons for plenty of cards to be banned, but "unfun" is really the worst one possible.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    Ancient tomb is just unfun.
    Well, if being unfun is a good reason to deserve a ban, then there is a long list of cards waiting in row to be banned before Ancient Tomb does.

Just sayin' , Ancient Tomb is currently featured in:
    -A tier 1,5 combo deck (the same deck that runs Mister -Boom-I-Win), and nobody even plays the full set.
    -A bunch of tier 2 brownish clunky piles of bad cards that get a top8 once in a while, e.g. Eldrazi, MUDs and Stax'es.

On the other hand, Gitaxian Probe is currently played too many tier 1's, and the fact that so many decks featuring full set of probes and 20-25 CMC 1 cards are constantly performing better than chalice decks should tell you something.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Cave View Post
    On the other hand, cardname is currently played too many tier 1's, and the fact that so many decks featuring full set of cardname and 20-25 CMC 1 cards are constantly performing better than chalice decks should tell you something.
    Actually this is true for a shitload of cards starting from FoW to Delver, Ponder, DRS, Fetchlands, etc. so the numerical values are a slippery slope as a bannings for the reason of a card being "unfun".

Join us at Facebook!

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

If you think tomb is broken, you've never drawn two tombs against burn or delver and sat there and wondered why you bothered to show up with your non brainstorm deck after round 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I think there are always going to be malcontents complaining about the cards they don't like. C'est la vie.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

If you have no intent to fix or shakeup a broken metagame, I see no compelling reason to touch it.

This looks a lot like a call for a ban put of boredom rather than the card or interactions being outright oppressive and in the same way people have targeted DRS a while ago. You can find reasons for plenty of cards to be banned, but "unfun" is really the worst one possible.
    You're putting words in my mouth. I said the card is unfun and busted, both of which is true. Which is why I'm not saying something similar for Chalice, which is unfun, but not busted like Probe.

Actually this is true for a shitload of cards starting from FoW to Delver, Ponder, DRS, Fetchlands, etc. so the numerical values are a slippery slope as a bannings for the reason of a card being "unfun".
    Ye, ok, touché.
    However, no matter in which state the metagame is, we've been used to have a Tier1 deck packing 6-10 blue fetchlands, 4 Brainstorms, 4 FOW's, some Ponders and some backup counterspells.
    Let it be UW Stoneblade, or UWr Miracles, or BUG midrange, or BUG delver, whatever. Many decks have taken their turn in being *that* tier 1 blue deck. It's just...I don't know, part of Legacy as a format I guess. However, none of those decks was running GP. Probe was always a niche card, good for combo decks period.
    Now that people are playing GP in tempo decks with great effect (value for therapy + cantrip + free pyromancer/prowess triggers + they know what to disrupt) looks like GP has become part of the "blue core" and it has lost it's niche role to just become a generally good filler card, and I don't really like that.

That being said, I don't really know if i'd be ok with Probe gone, as it'd probably hurt Storm more than Grixis Delver and Izzet Delver.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Land's is a DTB next update, the Metagame is fine.

OK, being real. Ancient Tomb is unfun? Ancient Tomb? Really? Why, because it let's you cast Eldrazi and Chalice? So we should ban a card out of Stompy and take one of the few decks away thay preys upon the homogeneous nature of the format? Going to have to disagree with that one.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Technics View Post
    We restricted Probe in Vintage and it basically did nothing whatever to hinder the decks that used it.

So... just saying.

Thread Information