View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 87 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 3777838485868788899091971371875871087 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    You're deluding yourself if you think this will actually happen, the antecedent or the consequent. I'm not sure why people all of a sudden wanted to ban really benign cards. They aren't format warping or terribly unfun, or combo cards, aren't ubiquitous or obnoxious enough by any metric that is used to ban cards. No, "boring" and "brainless" don't count either.
    Have you been studying for your SAT's or something man?

(WARNING: the foillowing post is not serious)

My new predictions:

Tarmogoyf is banned
    Wild Nacatl is banned
    Green Sun's Zenith is banned
    Dryad Arbor is banned
    Nettle Sentinel is banned

:p

is there some exact time for the announcement?

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Amarth View Post
    Without rehashing things too much, there are other reasons why those decks haven't made a resurgence. CT had a hard time dealing with decks that actually had mana curves and some versions were pretty good against some decks but terrible against others. Not really where you want to be with a control deck in the format. And the CT lock isn't even that hard to deal with. It also shares a problem with other slow decks where it can draw games due to it's lack of a clock. IMHO, the archetype is just bad now.

Goblins isn't even disadvantaged against decks that play these cards. Things like Tin-Street Hooligan, Weirding, Perish, Sharpshooter, Fanatic are excellent against some or all of the Zenith/SFM decks. These decks, by design, are slow and can't make Goblins interact in ways that it doesn't excel at, i.e. the stack. Goblins isn't played because it was ridiculed to death for awhile as well as just being deceptively difficult to play. You can only watch so many people knee-jerk Matron into Piledrivers.

I don't think these are viable cards to ban. Zenith is far too slow and is a very limited tutor. Stoneforge Mystic is a creature. The requirements for creatures are extraordinarily high. It needs to be on the power level of Hermit Druid, which is a one-card combo. Stoneforge is nowhere near that power level. Banning these cards only reduces diversity of the format.
    Wizards doesn't like one card combos (see Tinker).

Green Sun's Zenith tutors for a card and puts it into play. To a lesser extent, SFM tutors and 'cheats' a card into play.

That's my main gripe about those cards along with the Mothership's philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    is there some exact time for the announcement?
    9 PM Pacific time on Dec 19th at www.mtgdaily.com
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by darkenslight View Post
    nettle sentinel is banned
    FINALLY THE OPPRESSIVE COMBO ELVES REIGN WILL BE PUT TO AN END

lowercase

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    Wizards doesn't like one card combos
    If that were true, you'd think they'd stop printing them.

Quote Originally Posted by sir View Post
    I don't agree about color balance, because color balance is a good rubric for designing (or maintaining) a lively format with a lot of strategies, variation, stylistic choice, and working room for excellence in deck building and in play.

I still don't think Brainstorm should eat a ban tomorrow, and especially nor should anything else.

I hope they were not feeling too trigger-happy and gratuitous in the halls of decision. Tread softly Wizards ... you tread on a beloved format. :(

(Feel free to continue using the Modern project as target practice if you really want.)

Anyway ... it's all just placing bets now. The news will be in soon enough.

In case you missed it in the "pimp" thread: Altered by Rosewater himself!

I'm hoping for black vise! Comon baby!
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

With Black vise being *potentially* unbanned, I could see stock in Prosperity being increased. #BlueIsTooGood
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Sep 2007
    MN

If mind twist comes off it feels like perfect for Nic Fit, which coincidentally can possibly fight through getting hit by a huge one with recurring nightmare and eternal witness.

Black Vise is kinda scary at first. On the play against slow decks it's almost like a second set of Goblin Guides.

But I think it wouldn't be broken as it loses power VERY quickly. It would definetly make people try stuff like Stasis and Howling Mine... and probably fail.

Mind Twist is another one that would get people excited and then blow over. Legacy is about being mana effective. 3 mana just to match Hymm is just bad. But I could see this being used in control mirrors.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I will say this for Mind Twist though: it's a lot easier to splash than Hymn to Tourach. That may not be significant with Hymn being so much more efficient, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

While this is true I think thats no reason to keep it banned. But I'll guess we'll see how wotc thinks soon enough.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Dia_Bot View Post
    While this is true I think thats no reason to keep it banned. But I'll guess we'll see how wotc thinks soon enough.
    I wasn't suggesting that it should stay banned...I was merely pointing out that it will get little play (most likely) when you can simply pay BB for Hymn. Decks may splash for it...but it's more expensive to get the same power level. I think it's safe to come off the list.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

I'd have been a lot more comfortable with Vise coming off the list if Mental Misstep were still legal. Even without Misstep though, it's probably fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I wasn't suggesting that it should stay banned...I was merely pointing out that it will get little play (most likely) when you can simply pay BB for Hymn. Decks may splash for it...but it's more expensive to get the same power level. I think it's safe to come off the list.

Ow k, yea I agree.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I think it was IBA I was talking to about Black Vise once. He was suggesting it come off and I just cringe when I think about how horrible that card was in the old days. I hated seeing even a single one. Two was just game over. Then the fabled dark ritual into three Black Vises being the power play was a horror story.

It's funny to think it's pretty safe now. Once you work out the numbers on how damaging it is too certain decks, it's kind of laughable how far it's fallen.

Mind Twist I've always found just annoying as hell. I never thought it was all that busted even in the old days. Not many people owned Black Lotuses either. That was it's real power, that and Ritual of course.

I'm really not sure they'd actually take Mind Twist off due to the point of it being very unfun to get hit by it early in. Probably would be the only reason Black Vise wouldn't come off the list either. Tabletop players tend to follow tournament rules despite the fact that they never play in them. When you're building pet decks and crappy newbie throw togethers, Black Vise and Mind Twist both are just flat not fun cards for someone to play against you.

They are perfectly fair by Legacy tournament standard anymore, but they may keep the newbie players in mind for those two. You have to agree, those two cards symbolize mean plays against newer players. It's half the reason Hymn to Tourach just about got the axe once.

I'm still betting that Black Vise is back since Blue really doesn't want to see that card often. It's a pain to play around even if it's easy to do. With everyone whining about blue as it is, it's probably time to toss the aggro decks a bone, even if it's a soft, chewy, lousy tasting one.

Apr 2009
    Sweden, Trelleborg

Mindtwist is pretty much a splashable hymn that gets stopped by Gaddock Teeg. Afterall legacy doesnt have lotus and mana drains to fuel thoes huge t1 or t2 Mind Twist.

Would love to see Mind Twist geting unbanned.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

I say they unban windfall. It encourages high-risk, high-reward combo. Wizards likes combo decks that take skill to play, right?
    ... Right? I mean, look at Storm combo before they printed Ad Nau-...
    Never mind.
    Herp derp ban Brainstorm and Force blue too good me like Zoo. Zoo strong deck need play strong creature no need think.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

NOTHING needs to be banned, but I really hope they unban Survival; it would be very healthy in this metagame.

Banning Green Sun's Zenith is absurd, and I can't believe people are saying that. If Wizards did that... Well idk, that would be insane.

Thread Information