View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 967 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 46786791795796396496596696796896997097197710171067 ... LastLast
Results 19,321 to 19,340 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    The fair/unfair discussion is just an outstandingly cringeworthy leftover in my opinion, implying that there are ACTUALLY decks playable which do not actively try to prevent the opponent from playing their deck as they planned.
    You mean like dredge and burn?

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    In the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, Therapy is one of the best spells in Magic at disrupting any plan the enemy might have. If you can do it multiple times in a turn, especially in the first two turns of the game, you don't even need to be skilled with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Do Cabal Therapy, Pyrostatic Pillar, Eidolon, Price of Progress, Ensnaring Bridge & co suddenly no longer meddle with your opponent?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Do Cabal Therapy, Pyrostatic Pillar, Eidolon, Price of Progress, Ensnaring Bridge & co suddenly no longer meddle with your opponent?
    I think Phoenix Ignition called you out on this one, Lemnear. Call the spade what it is. With the exception of the original Sligh deck from 1996, pretty much every aggro ("fair"?) deck has had some form of dedicated disruption for particular expected opponents. The primary gameplan of these decks is pretty darn linear though. They do not want to spend cards disrupting unless they HAVE TO.

That said, I think Lemnear has the general principle correct. This is the way debate goes in here. PI, do you even disagree with his central premise? I know I do not. I think he nailed it. Fair/unfair is no longer especially valuable nomenclature. Lemnear was victimized by the GOTCHA moments that typify this thread. In a very real way, Burn and Dredge are the exceptions that prove the rule. They are both outliers in terms of how strange the gameplay is and how very not tier 1 they are. They are not exemplars of the Legacy format, but more of a garnish.

I think I could make a full-throated argument for how any deck in Legacy is unfair. In fact, I think having that "unfair" angle is the ticket price for entry into this format.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I take no offense in being called out if i, like often enough, am a bit too bold sweeping over a topic like the fair/unfair discussion or grouping "drs + blue Shell" decks generously together even if we all know there are differences

You all have a wonderful weekend :)
    Last edited by Lemnear; 05-19-2018 at 11:28 AM.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    Only "saturation" metrics, if I recall ArFo's comments.
    He also said it's a pillar. No point past that is there. The argument is over.

Arguments based on play-styles diversity (a foreign concept to you, apparently), are at the forefront. You consistently ignore this PoV, because you can't (or won't) imagine anybody could actually care about that more than engines.

You're not a fool either, so you must be purposely closing your mind to this.
    I don't think "Play styles" is a reasonable argument. They all do the same thing with the card. The card has one reason for being in these decks. It's not like when Loam was played in the sideboard of some decks as a way to resist Wasteland and played as an engine in others. Brainstorm decks all use the card to do the same thing. There is no diversity in use.

They won't all be competitive if one style rises above the rest. Do you honestly believe if we unleashed Black Lotus that fair decks would even stand a chance? Lotus slots into fair decks easily enough, but that doesn't mean they could compete with the combo and prison decks that would truly abuse Lotus.
    Seeing as to how the most effective deck in Vintage for ages was Delver, I think it could manage. Also turn one TNN backed up by Force, daze and Spell pierce does feel like a line that would be effective yes. You even get Recall of those nasty Prison decks.

Sometimes Intellectual honesty happens here. There is no excuse for anything less in a public discussion forum.
    Your on the internet... Have you seen what happens here? At all? Like, never in passing even heard of 4chan?

Edit - why do you think I want to keep BS legal? You sure as hell aren't listening to my stated reasons, so you must have a theory? You know I have zero interest in playing the damn card...
    You believe it does more good than bad for the format and you believe that it's not one all dominate force, but a nuanced group of forces. You ignore that those forces are held together by one dominate force though arguing that it's not a single card that is the issue because ANT and SnT exist as very diffrent decks. An argument I find as shallow as a toddlers pool.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by FGCmtg View Post
    I suppose I just don't care about banning the cantrips, and I spend a lot of time working out how to beat the metagame as it currently stands, because that's what the game is at the moment.

So, a summary, yes brainstorm makes terminus much better, it doesn't really make delver that much better and it'd still be better than merfolk. I suppose the main reason I don't want to ban brainstorm is because banning brainstorm makes force of will decks less viable/significantly worse, which means a large part of the format devolves into br reanimator mirrors, which sounds like hell to me. It's still better to play most things over tarmogoyf, as angler and young pyro would still be much better cards that don't have a negative value proposition when matched up against fatal push.

What do you think is stopping goblins from being t1? It has favourable matchups vs pile, miracles and delver. It loses to all the combo decks more often than not, I would say your sample size is v small.

Yes Thalia is a prison card, designed to punish cantrip decks and combo, which are a part of the format, because vanilla creatures are bad. See you later ;)
    That is what the other threads on here are for. This one is for remembering the good old days when Kird ape was in a tier 1 deck and then blaming drs. There is a sub thread too for organising pitchfork collection.

I'm not convinced delver without brainstorm (or ponder+preordain even) is still better than merfolk is against the field. I could be wrong...it would be much closer at least.

Well yeah goblins is terrible against combo like I said. This was the same back when I played it. It was tier 2 or 3 by then already. No one really wants to go into a big event trying to optimise their chances and then pick a deck that rolls over to a fifth of the format.

Haha yeah...congrats on 4-0. You're lucky you dodged quillspike...

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    That said, I think Lemnear has the general principle correct. This is the way debate goes in here. PI, do you even disagree with his central premise? I know I do not. I think he nailed it. Fair/unfair is no longer especially valuable nomenclature.
    They are valuable when speaking in generalities like "Your deck will lose to all Unfair decks." Why? Because it's a way of saying "you have too much aggro/removal and no reliable interaction."

In the same way, people who design a deck lacking in removal without a high-tempo plan (T2-3) can expect to reliably lose to Fair decks.

In general, Unfair are weaker to counters and Fair are weaker to removal. Certainly there is a spectrum, but if you have no counters and no discard*, you will lose to every unfair deck reliably. If you have loads of Counters and Discard but no removal, you will lose to fair decks reliably. It's not useful in lots of other ways, sure, but it's specifically useful for pointing out general weaknesses.
    * I do understand that D&T doesn't fit this well, but give me a break when we're speaking in generalities.

To be clear, I agree that aside from that it's fairly useless. But if you want to say "Well.. your deck is weak to Dredge, Burn, Storm, S&T, Reanimator, Elves, MUD, Stompy, [...]" you can say "your deck is going to have issues with Unfair decks {thus} you should add some Counters/Discard in place of some of your creatures/removal and sideboard cards should be mitigating those rather than being removal piece 27"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

To heat up the discussion. Let have a look at the top 4 during Team Mixed in Toronto

1st Czech Pile - Lucas Siow
    2nd Czech Pile - Brian Braun-duin
    4th Grixis Delver - Noah Walker

Hmm, I hope for a non blue deck in the other 4th position.

I still think Fetchlands should go.

Edit: ha, found it, a non blue deck. No need to do anything with legacy. Format saved.

4th Elves - Robert Smith

But still 16 DRS in top 4

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Well, MKM Hamburg had 1 Elves, 2 Red Stompy, 3 Dark Depths, 1 Belcher and 1 Miracles in the Top 8.

You can hate BS all you want, but this Top 8 looks like Aids to me.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Well, MKM Hamburg had 1 Elves, 2 Red Stompy, 3 Dark Depths, 1 Belcher and 1 Miracles in the Top 8.

So, in a Brainstorm dominated meta, why would you be unhappy with this top8? You have Brainstorm, you should be happy, right? Same comment applies to the previous post, btw.

I have to comment on this, becacuse I would interpret this differently than you, in fact exactly oppositely. I know I may be wrong, but this 180 degree opposite interpretation should be adressed.

What you seem to not like about this top 8 is that it seems polarized. It consists of decks that could be described as preying on cantrip decks. For Blood Stompy I think that is overly apparent, Turbo Depths can be discussed. So, what you don't like is that people play strategies that are relevant vs Brainstorm. It could be an immediate consequence of Brainstorm being a very good card.

And to try to explain one basic thing. I think very few people actually hate Brainstorm. It's a fun card, and no one gets hurt (except for the sometimes excessive cantripping, it happens that people spend minutes looking at the top 3 cards again and again, but I think this is peripheral). What I personally don't like is the polarization of the format that I think it creates. The frustration directed towards the card is probably just a symtom of an unhappiness with the meta being overly polarized, oppressive, monotonous.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

This top 8 seems to be on the plan of, brainstorm is too good to not play unless you just go really fast. It's a strategy that works from time to time. How many people were in this event? How many rounds? I'd be more impressed if this were from an 8 or more round event
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    What you seem to not like about this top 8 is that it seems polarized. It consists of decks that could be described as preying on cantrip decks. For Blood Stompy I think that is overly apparent, Turbo Depths can be discussed. So, what you don't like is that people play strategies that are relevant vs Brainstorm. It could be an immediate consequence of Brainstorm being a very good card
    Stop putting words in my mouth or telling me what I "like".

I never said I don't like people playing relevant strategies against Brainstorm*. What I don't like about this Top 8 is the large portion of rather linear strategies (if they happen to be good against Brainstorm or not is irrelevant for this point). Linear strategies lead to less diversity in gameplay, which is funny, considering what is being said about the "blue shell".

*Sidenote: I play Lands.

@Megadeus
    Google "MKM Hamburg". Afaik it was 9 rounds + Top8

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

@JDK: So, I make a comment about how we can observe a polarization and that it seems bad for the meta. And you reply that it is the linear strategies you don't like. Well, maybe these are two sides of the same coin?

Brainstorm in 7/8 Top 8 decks: Ban brainstorm, oppressive!

Brainstorm in 1/8 Top 8 decks: Obviously these decks prey on brainstorm, ban brainstorm, oppressive!
    Quote Originally Posted by SaberTooth View Post
    if brainstorm is banned, legacy will lost his heart

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

All of those decks are generally favored against 4 color shit pile (maybe not belcher but that's a coin flip deck). Those people probably wouldn't be on such linear strategies if they weren't good in the meta. I can tell you from personal experience my Maverick deck is favored against most of that top 8, and I know dnt and such non blue decks are good against them. I'm not saying simply brainstorm, but 4 color pile at least struggles generally speaking
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post

Brainstorm in 1/8 Top 8 decks: Obviously these decks prey on brainstorm, ban brainstorm, oppressive!
    It's always best to look at trends and not single data points. It's why you never see me quoting single finishes. They are too easy to rip apart in either direction with but another single finish and it's not like we lack for those to pick though and find one you want to argue your slant.

If a top 8 today was for whatever reason 2 Goblins, a Fish and 5 Delver it would mean shit on its own. Well other than I owe two goblins players a high five. That would not stop it being debated like it's a holy relic.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

This discussion seems extremely irrelevant to me (probably I'm missing something), anyway, since I posted recently I feel inclined to respond. I agree with Dice_box, of course, two tournaments does not make a trend. Star|Scream, who was argued for a ban recently? I could not see any such statement on this page (especially not as a consequence of a single tournamnet). Regarding the representativeness of these two top 8's, is anyone in this thread surprised to find Grixis Delver, Czech Pile, Moon Stompy and Turbo Depths dominating in a set of two top 8's? I think not. If we are not allowed to discuss trends, what is left to discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post

All the top 8 decks at hamburg (except belcher which is an outlier) have a 4% or higher meta share per mtgtop 8. It's odd I agree but as dice_box mentioned it's one tournament, and it still fits the overall meta picture right now of blue shell decks plus chalice decks plus very quick combo decks (thalia decks and lands are absent). It's one event that will not noticebly change meta share %'s. Now if it continues...another story entirely possibly.

PS: It does seem to me that thalia isn't doing great at the big events.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

As Julian won it with elves, he might be able to enlighten us about the field. Are the Lists online already?

On a general note, the meta is so inbreed with 21%+ DRS+BlueShell that running overspecialized predators might be somewhat viable despite 4c's/Grixis' usually stable curve and mana. We will see how Grixis/4c reacts to this event.

Join us at Facebook!

Thread Information