View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 97 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 4787939495969798991001011071471975971097 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzra View Post
    I was very much against the banning of Survival when it happened, but looking back, I can see how GW Survival was basically the threat density and toolbox of GW with the explosiveness of a Dredge deck. That GW has gotten even better since the banning, I really doubt that they could unban Survival unless they unbanned Mystical Tutor with it.

As for Mystical, I'm a mixed bag. It basically makes Storm and Reanimator an unwinnable MU for non-Blue decks. I think that while some MUs are favorable, I'd prefer the metagame to stay away from a clearcut Rock, Paper, Scissors environment.

Personally, I think a good solution might be to unban Survival of the Fittest, Mystical Tutor, and Mental Misstep. Let combo regain some of their consistency via Mystical to help keep Survival in check and let all decks have a good answer to Mystical Tutor (and Entomb, Dark Ritual, and the whole host of other combo-enabling 1-drops).

The only problem is that Mental Misstep would have some fallout with non-combo decks. Goblins is already dead on its own, so that's not so much a concern anymore. Mother of Runes would instantly get a bit worse. Nimble Mongoose probably gets hurt (although RUG decks would definitely pick Misstep up in a heart beat). Targeted discard becomes more unreliable.

It'd be interesting to see the meta if these three were to be unbanned.

GW would lose some steam due to Misstep and Mystical, but would pickup Survival (and Missteps of their own post-board).

Storm and Reanimator would get a lot more consistent due to Mystical, but players would have more ways to fight them with Misstep.

RUG is very vulnerable to Misstep, but at the same time, can utilize it very well. Natural Order becomes an option again.

UW Stoneblade has more answers to fight combo and GW's early game, but would have to fight against a superior late game engine in Survival. UWB Stoneblade loses the punch of its targeted discard.

Fish gains a lot from Misstep, but likely still can't fight Survival (and Batterskull).

Dredge and Burn lose ground on all fronts.

Hymn is the go-to discard choice again.

It'd be interesting to say the least.
    The can't just unban Mental Misstep while Snapcaster Mages are in the format.

The idea of playing against Reanimator with Mystical Tutor and Mental Misstep is not very appealing. Those unbans would speed the format way up.

1) Combo decks that play Mystical Tutor and Mental Misstep. (Reanimator)
    2) Combo decks that dodge Mental Misstep but play Mystical Tutor. (an adapted Storm variant, S&T/Hive Mind)
    3) Combo decks that chain Survival of the Fittest to combo out on you, or plan B Vengevine fireball you.
    4) Misstep-playing tempo decks looking to disrupt the combo decks and beat down.

I don't think the by-products of this kind of metagame are going to be very good. Legacy is the format that best skirts the line between degenerate (to the point of being kind to the broken linears because they tend not to dominate) and fair decks. There's no need to upset that balance much, at least from an objective standpoint (though if someone in the DCI was to dartboard Dread Return I wouldn't weep any tears, but that's not being objective ).

A general question: If the DCI is owned by WotC, a company who ignores eternal formats when designing new cards - resulting in some unfair and unfun interactions, why does the DCI regulate the eternal formats? Isn't it something like taxation without representation? I mean why should they regulate it when legacy is nearly off their radar? Furthermore, why should WotC care if the format were unfun? Wouldn't they want a deck to be unfun, resulting in a decline in legacy's popularity? It all seems like a waste of energy if legacy doesn't make WotC money like standard.

Jul 2010
    Plano, Texas

Misstep slows the format way down. Mystical makes combo faster and much more consistent. Survival speeds up Green decks and gives them a lot more options and consistency.

The thing is that Misstep and Mystical were never in the same format, so who knows what that would look like? Surgical Extraction (+ Snapcaster) never existed while Survival was around either.

I think eventually WotC will wise up and realize that Legacy is their Eternal format. Formats like Extended (old and new) and Modern are only ever going to be PTQ formats. Vintage is a mess. They can easily support Legacy as a format and make money doing it. Scavenging Ooze is a prime example. There's also no reason they can't reprint Wasteland and Force of Will in Standard or come up with some decent alternatives to dual lands. Just make a cycle of "m10 duals" that are fetchable. Problem solved.

Unban MT, MMS, SoTF, and Goblin Recruiter all at the same time. I promise it will be ok.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Unban MT, MMS, SoTF, and Goblin Recruiter all at the same time. I promise it will be ok.
    For some reason, I agree with this.

Throw in Earthcraft there too.

And if you wanna get ballsy, maybe Memory Jar.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Ditto. And other things that won't matter but need to be unbanned as to not make the format look stupid like Tax, Twist, Vise, etc. Oh and Dragon. This format is starting to look fun again. :D
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by hyperchord24 View Post
    A general question: If the DCI is owned by WotC, a company who ignores eternal formats when designing new cards - resulting in some unfair and unfun interactions, why does the DCI regulate the eternal formats? Isn't it something like taxation without representation? I mean why should they regulate it when legacy is nearly off their radar? Furthermore, why should WotC care if the format were unfun? Wouldn't they want a deck to be unfun, resulting in a decline in legacy's popularity? It all seems like a waste of energy if legacy doesn't make WotC money like standard.
    WotC does test for Eternal formats when designing new cards, but they're not very good at it (partly because it's a difficult task--just check the misguided opinions on these forums every time a new set comes out--and partly because they don't put enough effort into it).

We abide by their banned and restricted list because it's convenient to have one official body release all the banned and restricted lists. Their opinions might not be perfect, but I'd rather play with this current format than some retarded community-polled monstrosity in which Oath of Druids is unbanned while Brainstorm and GSZ are banned.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

I'd probably hold off on the Memory Jar. Earthcraft is completely fine as well. Hell, it might make Elves tier 1 for once!

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

If blue gets Mental Misstep, I want Mind's Desire. Otherwise, completely ok with this list.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    If blue gets Mental Misstep, I want Mind's Desire. Otherwise, completely ok with this list.
    We've had already a format with MM.
    Time to try a new broken toy, like Tolarian Academy (with no Jewerly and no Vault/Crypt i doubt it would split the format apart, and it fuel artifact decks without making 1st turn trinisphere any more possible than it already is. In fact i already have a list or two arounds with it in that are crazy fun, while not really good).

Fair. Lets try Mind's Desire as well. I'd rather experiment and then ban rather than let the cards sit and rot in the banned list. FFS, isn't Ad Nauseam better than Mind's Desire? Lower CMC, easier colors, guaranteed draws? Am I correct?

We'll cross that bridge if anything needs to be re-banned.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I love me some Mind's Desire with LED/BWish tricks. Even Belcher gets to play this shit.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Fair. Lets try Mind's Desire as well. I'd rather experiment and then ban rather than let the cards sit and rot in the banned list. FFS, isn't Ad Nauseam better than Mind's Desire? Lower CMC, easier colors, guaranteed draws? Am I correct?

We'll cross that bridge if anything needs to be re-banned.
    Desire is basically an uncounterable, usually better time spiral. And is just another boring Storm card.
    There are other combo cards that are more interesting like Bargain, Earthcraft, Dragon, hell, even things like Skullclamp (elf combo), Windfall or Hermit Druid (hello gutshot everywhere).

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Hell to the no on Skullclamp. That card would be absolutely busted and the format would probably devolve into who gets it online first. At least other busted banned draw spells (e.g. Gush) aren't re-useable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    We've had already a format with MM.
    Time to try a new broken toy, like Tolarian Academy (with no Jewerly and no Vault/Crypt i doubt it would split the format apart, and it fuel artifact decks without making 1st turn trinisphere any more possible than it already is. In fact i already have a list or two arounds with it in that are crazy fun, while not really good).
    If 4 academy in a deck were legal I wonder what the cost would go up to...
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Aug 2011
    Italy

Still having MM nightmares? It's gone man, chill.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

When is the next announcement anyway? I can never remember when they are.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    When is the next announcement anyway? I can never remember when they are.

It's the 20th of every third month. So the next one is on June 20
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

God dam it can we have another poll now please? How long have people been asking for this now?
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Thread Information