View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 978 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 47887892896897497597697797897998098198298810281078 ... LastLast
Results 19,541 to 19,560 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: All B/R update speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Symmetry would help alot to keep hate cards in check. Except Wizards in their stupid "feel-good" design moves exactly away from that to solutions that only affect one side more often than not.
    Agree here. Symmetrical effects are important imo to keep certain cards balanced and not becoming Wars to see who finds the card first to hate the other out. Like if Leovold were symmetrical you might actually have to think about whether or not you're in a position to actually cast it kind of like Standstill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Not hate cards. Cards that don't play well with cantrips.

Skeletons in the Closet

Instant
    Reveal at the top x cards of your library where x is the number of cards in target opponent's graveyard. You may reveal a permanent card from among them. Put that card into your hand and the rest in your graveyard. If you reveal a blue card, your opponent may copy this spell.

Too Many Secrets
    x
    Sorcery
    Reveal the top x cards from target opponent's library and reveal the top x cards from your library. If your opponent has more instant and sorcery cards revealed in this way than you, add to your mana pool for each instant and sorcery card revealed from that opponent's library. That mana may only be used to cast creature spells. You may shuffle any number of libraries.

Or whatever. These are simple to design.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Kinda, don't take it personally. Ban discussions are routinely nasty, ill-informed, and fruitless. Experience has taught us all to keep the awful in a single, quarantined basket. Box was just being sensible. It might be cool to get a new poll though.

BTW, I say don't ban anything. Print useful cards that are designed from the ground up to diminish the hold Brainstorm, fetchlands, and DRS have on Legacy. There truly is no downside to this at all, and plenty of different upsides.
    Lucky for you that card already exists. Welcome back...mental misstep.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Maybe we could print a powerful engine that requires both an High Number of creatures in ur deck , as well as a significant colored non blue mana investment so that the cantrip cartel can't play it. A 2 mana enchantment maybe to make it still vulnerable to daze even on the play? And G to activate, maybe pitching a creature to fetch another one , so u Need about 30 creatures for It to be good?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    Maybe we could print a powerful engine that requires both an High Number of creatures in ur deck , as well as a significant colored non blue mana investment so that the cantrip cartel can't play it. A 2 mana enchantment maybe to make it still vulnerable to daze even on the play? And G to activate, maybe pitching a creature to fetch another one , so u Need about 30 creatures for It to be good?
    Sounds great. Maybe one which also has a history being played with manadorks like DRS and the Xerox shell as well, because Ponder+Brainstorm doesn't require you to run 30 creatures. Is there such a card?
    Last edited by Lemnear; 06-29-2018 at 07:48 AM.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2012
    Karlsruhe

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Is there such a card?
    I do not know! But Birthing Pod is pretty close!
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Truss them up in a runnin' bowline

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by EviL668-2 View Post
    I do not know! But Birthing Pod is pretty close!
    Looks similar to Survival of the Fittest.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Evolutionary Leap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I remember when Survival was banned, and within a short period of time Green Sun's Zenith was printed. This spawned at least 2 new decks (Maverick and Nic Fit.) Those decks might have existed pre-GSZ, but GSZ is the glue that holds those decks together. Elves slotted GSZ into their deck, and it floats in/out of decks-to-beat. Let sleeping Survival lie, I say.

I think what would really help the format is more versions of hard-hate, like Choke, or other non-blue manipulation tools. Sylvan Library comes to mind, as well as Mirri's Guile, but those get used in some blue decks as well. I'm curious what it would look like for green/red/black/white to have something as powerful as Ponder/Brainstorm but *couldn't* be slotted into a blue shell. Maybe something requiring basic lands (that aren't Island)?

Shaman's Foreboding G
    Sorcery
    Key word - heritage or some bullshit (only basic lands can be used to play this card.)
    Look at the top 4 cards of your library, you may put them back in any order. You may shuffle your library. Draw a card.

TL;DR - almost all of the different effects of magic have gone into other colors at some point or another. It would be interesting to take the library manipulation/draw effect and spread it out amongst the other colors in equal weight; it could allow for mono-color decks to be better and take pressure off of players to play true dual mana-bases. If it isn't obvious, I think banning is the wrong path to take. WOTC needs to get their head out of their ass, design cards for legacy, and balance them appropriately for the format. Hell, I'd even take a few more mistakes similar to Mental Misstep if it meant they were at least trying.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I want keyword - heritage or some bullshit to be evergreen. I really do.

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I remember when Survival was banned, and within a short period of time Green Sun's Zenith was printed. This spawned at least 2 new decks (Maverick and Nic Fit.) Those decks might have existed pre-GSZ, but GSZ is the glue that holds those decks together. Elves slotted GSZ into their deck, and it floats in/out of decks-to-beat. Let sleeping Survival lie, I say.

I think what would really help the format is more versions of hard-hate, like Choke, or other non-blue manipulation tools. Sylvan Library comes to mind, as well as Mirri's Guile, but those get used in some blue decks as well. I'm curious what it would look like for green/red/black/white to have something as powerful as Ponder/Brainstorm but *couldn't* be slotted into a blue shell. Maybe something requiring basic lands (that aren't Island)?

Shaman's Foreboding G
    Sorcery
    Key word - heritage or some bullshit (only basic lands can be used to play this card.)
    Look at the top 4 cards of your library, you may put them back in any order. You may shuffle your library. Draw a card.

TL;DR - almost all of the different effects of magic have gone into other colors at some point or another. It would be interesting to take the library manipulation/draw effect and spread it out amongst the other colors in equal weight; it could allow for mono-color decks to be better and take pressure off of players to play true dual mana-bases. If it isn't obvious, I think banning is the wrong path to take. WOTC needs to get their head out of their ass, design cards for legacy, and balance them appropriately for the format. Hell, I'd even take a few more mistakes similar to Mental Misstep if it meant they were at least trying.
    Just try Ancient Stirrings and Oath of Nissa.

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    Imagine if Ponder said "you may reveal an instant or sorcery among them and put it into your hand" instead of "draw 1". It would *still* be way better than either of those. In order for the drawback to be not as painful, they need to dig you deeper into your deck, or give you better information, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Shaman's Foreboding G
    Sorcery
    I like this and find it a lot more elegant than some suggestions like "can't be played if your deck contains a blue card." Although still a little ugly from a design perspective, I also wouldn't mind permanents that have, "if you play a blue card, sacrifice ~".

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    Imagine if Ponder said "you may reveal an instant or sorcery among them and put it into your hand" instead of "draw 1". It would *still* be way better than either of those. In order for the drawback to be not as painful, they need to dig you deeper into your deck, or give you better information, or both.
    I dont think Ponder would be played at all with that limitation.

The fundamental perk of Xerox is cheating on the amount of lands you have to run in order to minimize "worthless draws" in the lategame. A Ponder which isn't able to grab threats nor lands, is worse than Preordain in Legacy. This card would be limited to Vintage or Modern Storm at best.

Edit: To go one step further, i think that a cantrip able to grab creatures/lands is better for the average deck than one grabbing instants/sorceries in Legacy. To be frank: Most instants/Sorceries played in Legacy are either cantrips or disruption anyways, so if you are only able to grab instant/sorcery, the odds are very high that you cantrip into cantrips only
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I dont think Ponder would be played at all with that limitation.

The fundamental perk of Xerox is cheating on the amount of lands you have to run in order to minimize "worthless draws" in the lategame. A Ponder which isn't able to grab threats nor lands, is worse than Preordain in Legacy. This card would be limited to Vintage or Modern Storm at best.

Edit: To go one step further, i think that a cantrip able to grab creatures/lands is better for the average deck than one grabbing instants/sorceries in Legacy. To be frank: Most instants/Sorceries played in Legacy are either cantrips or disruption anyways, so if you are only able to grab instant/sorcery, the odds are very high that you cantrip into cantrips only
    Yea, and being able to cantrip/draw into more cantrips and draw is precisely the one thing they design green cantrips/draw to never be able to do: Most actively throw other darw spells to the bottom of the deck (Vessel of Nascency and Harmonize excepted, where Vessel is clunky as fuck and Harmonize costs a fortune in mana). As a result, these draw spells are almost never played in green creature-heavy decks since they fail to constitute an engine and aren't able to increase the quality of subsequent draws the same way their blue counterparts do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Yea, and being able to cantrip/draw into more cantrips and draw is precisely the one thing they design green cantrips/draw to never be able to do: Most actively throw other darw spells to the bottom of the deck (Vessel of Nascency and Harmonize excepted, where Vessel is clunky as fuck and Harmonize costs a fortune in mana). As a result, these draw spells are almost never played in green creature-heavy decks since they fail to constitute an engine and aren't able to increase the quality of subsequent draws the same way their blue counterparts do.
    Unless you play with Delve or t.hold, chaining cantrips isn't quite an engine by itself. The issue green draw manipulation faces is being kinda clunky just like Sylvan Library, M.Guile, etc, cost 2+ mana or are very narrow in regards to cards it can pick. Oath of Nissa is a perfectly fine card though, which would be used a lot more, if non-blue, non-prison decks had any foot on the ground.

Join us at Facebook!

B&R Update - Gitaxian Probe and Deathrite Shaman BANNED in Legacy

Re: B&R Update - Gitaxian Probe and Deathrite Shaman BANNED in Legacy

Wheeeellppppp

Huh. neat.

tabernacle 4k by next week

Thread Information