Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Call for Questions] Legacy Mail-Bag Article

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

[Call for Questions] Legacy Mail-Bag Article

I've got the itch to do some writing on Legacy and thought I'd ask the community for some help. Some may remember that I wrote a mail bag article a couple of years back and I'd like to write another. [Be warned, that article is quite dated.] They're a good way to cover a lot of ground economically.

So, what questions would you like answered in an article by yours truly?

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here. You can also PM your questions to me. If I use any your questions, I'll give you credit in the article (unless you'd rather not be identified).

Re: [Call for Questions] Legacy Mail-Bag Article

How important are teams in Legacy?

Where would a Legacy GP have to be in order to get you to play?
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Are enemy fetches so relevant for legacy? I.e. Is it really necessary to buy playsets for all the decks they go into?

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

You really don't see a lot of higher CC cards played in Legacy. I attribute this to the fact that it is easier for developers to make the 'mistake' of printing low-CC cards that are disproportionately powerful for their cost, whereas such a 'mistake' would be easier to recognize at higher CCs. I think the risk of Chalice/CB/3Sphere still do little to curve the format's average CC up (the rewards of playing a low CC deck seem worth the risk). Do you think having such a low curve is healthy? How does it impact diversity in Legacy? Should we be asking Wizards to print higher CC cards that are actually worth casting more often?

While Blue is arguably the most influential color in Legacy, I think the viability of dedicated control decks (of all colors) continue to decline. Aggro-control and the CB/Top prison/softlock are far and away the most common controlesque strategies in the format, but these aren't dedicated control in my eyes. Landstill is the only exception (and an odd deck to define at that), but I'd argue that most Landstill decks have moved slightly away from dedicated control towards more tempo-based, aggro-control type card choices. Will dedicated control decks ever become better than tier 1.5-2 again? If not, what would it take to change the cardpool so it would be viable? Would that be good for the format?

peace,
    4eak

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

What are some of the biggest misconceptions of the legacy format, and what can we do to fix them?
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Why should players choose to play Legacy?
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I'm a budget player. What decks are good for getting started in Legacy without having to pay premium for the tier 1 decks?

(not entirely true, but i think it's a good way to get new players into the fold from the ext rotation)

Island, go!
    Jun 2009
    Golden Gate Bridge, USA

How to attract other people to play legacy and expand local legacy playgroup?
    Last edited by hyc8028; 09-11-2009 at 02:06 AM.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Besides the legality of older, broken cards, most Eternal players love these formats due to the lack of rotation, and the ability to build and play decks accordingly.

Why then is there so very little player crossover between the Vintage and the Legacy communities?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

I think an article about the Tier 2 decks aka an article about Established Forum decks.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Fat Kid
    Jun 2006
    Minnesota

If you could choose to play in a meta where Tarmogoyf was banned, would you, and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Also, this thread needs more drunk Peter Rotten.
    Team ICBE - We're so good at playing Threshold, we don't even play it.

Team Keg Stand - If only the kegs weren't empty...

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

People so often treat Legacy as the place where decks retire. Almost every deck in the format is an exact re-hash or port of an older deck or a deck in a different format. Do you think this causes a stump in the Legacy community's originality? Or am I just paranoid?
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Nov 2006
    Switzerland

I'd suggest the classic: Which are the most overrated/underrated cards in legacy?

Why aren't there more decks with a curve with cmc 3/4+ cards? It seems like every deck is packing either CBTop or Chalice, why isn't there any room for decks with higher cmc's to get around this?

Also I 2nd the Team question, because I get the feeling that I need a Team
    More cheese = more holes ; More holes = less cheese ; More cheese = less cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Bohny feat. Ovid
    Two-Headed Giant is similar to sex - if your partner is bad you need a good hand...

(Not Banksy)
    Oct 2006
    Now.

Giles' Dozen of Questions for Bardo:

1. When a new set comes into existence, how do you find something that might be worth playing in Legacy?

2. How often do you draft (Booster or Cube)? Do you see any parallels between the two formats?

3. What are planeswalker cards role in Legacy? If Wizards came to you to make a planeswalker card designed for Legacy, what would it be?

4. Pick one card from each color that you feel define that color's role in Legacy?

5. If you was to describe Legacy to someone who has never seen a magic card, how would you describe it? How about someone who has just started the game of magic? To a Pro-Tour player that has never played Legacy?

6. Is there a style of deck that you think no one should play? Why?

7. What do you think is the minimum dollar amount do you think is needed to make a decent Legacy deck?

8. What are your thoughts on Wizards' relationship with Legacy?

9. Which adult beverage do you think I should enjoy when I am playing Legacy?

10. Why do you think Legacy is more dominate in certain regions compared to other regions?

11. Why do you play Legacy?

12. Finally, there is a Legacy tournament that you will be playing in 12 hours. You only have access to cards that you actually own. What are the cards you are going to put on your deck registration sheet?

Since you are awesome here is a Baker's Dozen Question:
    Where do you see Legacy in five years?
    Team Info-Ninjas: Knows the history of sidewalks.

some quick (or not) questions:

do you have any suggestion for budget players as for a deck that might be fun and effective even if not competitive enough to win? assume that duals playsets are too much unless proxies are allowed.

also, what do you think about the banned and the reserved list? about the banned cards, which ones do you think most warrant a banning (brainstorm?) and which ones should be unbanned? about the reserved list, should original duals be reprinted in a non-standard/extended legal way? is this too big of a problem for new players to overcome?

and lastly, would a format without cards like force of will, lion's eye diamond, etc, be good for the format? is blue too strong, and what could be done to balance that? I mean, you're either playing tundra/und.sea/volc/trop.island or you're likely losing (I know it's an exaggeration). also, U/x decks basically build themselves. 4 FoW, 4 brainstorm, 4 Daze... is usually what happens.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Many of these are awesome. I'll get to work next week. Probably string this into 2-3 articles.

I think an interesting question would be:

*What archetypes or strategies do you feel are "almost ready for Legacy?" Take a few third tier decks for example. Of the abundance of these, do you feel that there are any strategies that would be viable if there were one or two more cards printed that supported that archetype on an "awesome" level?

Another interesting question:

*Do you feel that there should be more ways to hate out Tarmogoyf? Does his presence as the measuring-stick of beaters available to the format mean that WotC should print beaters in other colors who match 'Goyf's level of power and efficiency? If so, should these hypothetical creatures be more or less open-ended than Tarmogoyf in terms of how many different types of decks they can fit into?

And, finally, a third:

*Why do you think it is that there are relatively few crystalized "pure control" deck-lists in the Legacy format than there are combo, aggro/control, or pure aggro deck-lists? What would a viable finisher for a pure control deck have to look like in today's meta-game? Should there be cards printed which enable control strategies to have a more reliable way of winning the match before it goes to time? (hint: that last question was slightly tinted with personal bias)

...Hope I didn't get this in there too late for these to be considered.
    Bless your heart, we must consider Blue/White Tempo's strategy and win percentages in an entirely different deck thread. -4eak

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Would you rather the DCI continue to slowroll changes to the banned list, or would you like to see a more aggressive tweaking ala what they've been doing with Vintage?
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

I'd like you to ask a question that only I'm able to ask so you have to ask me.

That'd make me feel special.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

May 2005

Have you ever actually met Bryant Cook, and is he really as handsome as they say?

Thread Information