Thread: Team SPOD World Raiding Tour: Milano

Endgegner
    Dec 2008
    Karlsruhe, Germany

Team SPOD World Raiding Tour: Milano

After our first successfull Raid at Annecy (See here) we deceided, that there are a lot more Places Team SPOD has to raid and burn down visit...

So we deceided to head to Milano, for the Ovino4 Tournament from 11.09.09 - 13.09.09, that featured Legacy with decent Prices. There was a Debate about if we should go there for Friday and attend the Team Tournament und show them Team SPOD Awesomeness. But because of the Fact, that we lack Vintage Power and the additional Night would have been expensive, we decided to head there on Friday, play the Legacy at Saturday and go back home on Sunday.

Enough of the Facts: Lets start with the Story...
    Our Trip starts at thursday at around 20:00 when we met at Steffan Czolks Place. After I got there, we head for the nearest Supermarkt, to buy beer and something to eat. After we got back all, all four Crewmen have arrived.
    We start at drinking beer and do awesome things, which means playing Highlander. We testet the new Plane cards and Rules (See here) which are quite sick in Highlander and specialy in 2-Headed Giant.
    As an Example there is a plane, which lets you flip the Top-Card of your Library during your upkeep and if it's a Permanent you can put it into play. This is very funny, when after Round 2 there is a Progenitus and a Inkwell Leviathan in play.
    Or another Game we startet on a plane, where you get 3 0/1 Goats whenever you play a land. After a few Turns and a dozen Goats for everyone we planeswalk to the next plane, where you can tap every Creature for two green Mana...
    I think there has to be done some balancing. But on the other hand, there where some hillarious funny games.
    After this we've done some Decktesting and at around 5:30 I got up to get some sleep, cause I had to drive the next day. The others played on up to around 8 o'clock....

On Friday morning (meaning around 11 o'clock) we woke up, packed our things (which means mostly beer and Highlander-Decks) and headed south. Everyone was still sleepy and so the others mostly sleept until we were nearly halfway through Switzerland. But then everything got better: Beer-Cans where opened, Parkspaces where raided and Harald Herrlich decided to play our DJ. So we arrived in Italy singing to "Die Ärzte"-Songs and throwing Insults at other people, like Pirates always do.
    After reaching Milano we had to fight through hillarous Traffic. It seems they drive after a system of rules, only they know. But using the proven technic of "my car is much cheaper as yours, so you evade me" we made it to our Hotel. It was a small Hotel at the edge of the city, in a street so dark, you normaly don't want to leave your car. But as real Pirates, we stormed in and got us the 2-Person Room we reserved. For the little room we got it was really expensive, but the whole city was booked out because of a race in Monza.
    We got into the Room, drank more beer, played highlander and did some final decktesting. Harald Herrlich fell from the Bed, knocking a mark in the wall with his head. He then demands a bed for his injury and tries to cool his head with more beer. We decide to go to bed early, cause Manuel Heiler means, that we have to stand up at around 7:00am, to reach the site in time. We go to sleep, but get woken up by a person knocking at our door. It is the Hotel-Manager who told us, that our "guests" have to go now. This sucks and means a night sleeping in the car for me and Manuel. It isn't really comfortable to sleep on Sport-Seats.
    While I try to sleep as fast as possible, cause I hadn't this luxury all day. Manuel looks out for the Hookers that seems to go in and out our Hotel the next hours...

Waking up at 7 o'clock I feel like i havn't sleept all night. Manuel tells me stories of the Girls I missed the night and we head back to the room to use the Bathroom. The other Guys don't look better than us, Steffan has some problems standing and Harald has a headache. If it comes from the Hit at the Wall or the Alcohol, nobody knows.
    We pack our things and head to the Site at around 8:30. As we reach there, they are still preparing the site. We play some Highlander, but get kickt out, so the Traders can install there Shops. So we stand there for over an hour, before we can enter and register. Thanks Heiler!
    Normaly Registration should have closed at 9:30 and the tournament start should have been around 10 o'clock. But they open the Registration short before 10:00 and have ONE F**KING REGISTER, where everyone of the participants has to go and tell his number. There were around 280 people, so the Tournament doesn't start before 12...

Cause we hadn't a real breakfast, we decided to got 2:3 drop and then organize something to eat and play highlander. Here is what the four of us startet with:
    • Manuel “DerHeiler” Heiler: GB-Rock
    • Martin "MSC" Schreiber: Grow /w
    • Harald “Locutus” Herrlich: Pandaburst
    • Stefan "spirit of the wretch" Czolk: Goyf Slight

My List is the Following:
    Noble Grow
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Forest
    1 Nantuko Monastery

4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Rhox War Monk
    4 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Trinket Mage
    2 Noble Hierarch

4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Counterbalance
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Engineered Explosives

4 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Ponder
    3 Brainstorm

Sideboard:
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Hydroblast
    3 Gaddock Teeg
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Rhox War Monk

My first Match starts against Tempo Thresh. He Wastes one of my Lands, and I need some rounds to find more with my Top. He doesn't apply pressure, but found 4 Counters for my next Threads (2 Spell Snare, 2 Force). I can resolve a Balance, which got handled by a Trygon Predator.
    Game 2 he can Counter my Balance, but I'm able to pressure him with Goyfs and win on the back of Exalted.
    Game 3 he screws me on green Mana, but doesn't play more than a Mongoose for several Turns. My Explosive get's Stifled and I don't hit anything with a late CB. So I Loose.

Okay, I'm now in the 0-1 bracket, but everything is still possible.

In the Second Match I have to play against Aggro-Loam, which I consider a good Matchup. But his Second-Turn Chalice on one throws me a little off Balance. I don't find a Pridemage in my Top and I'm not able to prevent an Seismic Assault on the next Turn either. So the Game is over for me real quickly.
    Game 2 I have an early Relic and a Top and start with some beats. I Force a Chalice on one only to have no counters left for his Dreams. He discarded Loam for Dreams, so I have to remove all Graves with the Relic. I'm now at 1 Land and he has 2 and we are boath looking for more buisness. He finds Chalice and a Wasteland for my last land, while I found Creatures, Swords, CB, but not a single Land...

So I go to the 0-2 Bracket, where you have no real Chance to get into prices range, cause even if you win, a lot of people you play against will drop and thous worsening your OP-Score.
    But you can at least try...

In Match 3 I get paired against GBw Rock. This Matchup resolves around the question if he can resolv a Deed, but for the first game he didn't see a single one. No Wasteland either, so I start wondering if I may play some sort of Doran-Aggro. I still decide to board some Needles.
    Game 2 start good for me as well. I have an early CB and he has to Tap out for his Deed. This gives me the chance to Needle it. He later is able to Grip the Needle, but he taps out for this one as well, so I destroy the Deed with a Pridemage...

On Match 4 my opponent goes first and starts with Land Grant. Suck Belcher. The Problem is, I have a Force, but no blue Pitch, but I'm lucky cause he only builds his 10 Dudes. I drop a land, take 10, drop a land again and activate a Explosives for Zero.
    Game 2 I Force his first-turn attempt. But he has 3 Mana on the Table, so a second try will follow. I drop Needle on Belcher and a Goyf, but have only a single Daze in my Hand for the Second Takeoff. He goes for LED -> Wish Into 8 Dudes where the Daze is absolute useless. I do the Math and see, that I can't survive his dudes, so I search for an Explosives, but did't find one...
    Game 3 I have to keep a little shaky hand. I have Lands, Teeg, Ponder, but only a single BlueBlast as counter. Since I'm going first, I keep anyway.
    He starts with Pedal -> Rite of Flame -> Desperate Ritual and has now 3 Mana. The Moment I say ok, I realize that i should have Blasted the Ritual, cause if he has another Pedal, Mox, Land or Land-Grant I get 10 Dudes on the Table and will likely loose. But he does a thing I never expected: He uses the Mana to hardcast Simian Spirit Guide. WTF? I don't use my Blast and on the Next Turn Ponder in some Counters. He drops another hardcast Elvish Spirit Guide and starts to beat with them. I do what Grow always does: I throw a Goyf at the Problem, which takes his lifepoints away much quicker, than his Spirit Guides take mine.

After this round Team SPOD stands real nice. I've come back to 2-2 and the Rest is at 3-1.

Next Match was against RW-Goblins. I really like to play against Goblins. Not because it's the best Matchup, Goblins can always do broken things, but because it's fun to play against. There are allways Creatures on the Table, which really attack and combat tricks, and not some strange Counter-Duels and Goyfs staring at each other.
    Game One he starts with 2 early vials and blocks my Mana with Ports the following rounds. I'm still able to handle his Guys with Swords, drop some Guys and he vials a Siege Gang into play. I lucky find another Sword for the SG and Race his Tokens and an upcomming Warchief. He is unlucky in not finding his Ringleader before i use my Explosives for One on his Vials, so I can Force him and prevent a comeback.
    Game 2 he does the Goblin-Way. I handle the first Lackay, but have no Out for the second one. He drops a warchief and Ringleader afterwards and overwhelms me with dudes.
    Game 3 he has a Relic to keep my Goyf real small but no Wasteland, so I drop a Round 3 RWM, which he don't like at all. We race each other, but I draw enough of my Sideboard-Cards to Prevent burried under dudes, so I win. Even with the RWM there were more than a Turn were I was at under 3 life. I wouldn't have won, if Lifelink was still a triggered abillity. I wish Magic would more often be this fun and exciting.

Next Match was Tempo Thresh again. I get an early CB without Top, which was not relevant all game, as it didn't counter a single Spell. I find Pridemages which get gunned down, take some Mongoose Beats and win with Tarmogoyfs.
    Game 2 he has Screws me on Green Mana, which means I have to die slowly from Mongoose Beats.
    Game 3 involves another CB. I played real poorly this game. With things like not flipping for CB, even through I know that the right CMC was on Top and things like this. I only won, cause a Nantuko Monastery is relevant bigger than a Mongoose.

The seventh Match was again versus Goblins. This time the RB-Variant. First Game he plays Vial, but only some lonely dudes, making it possible for me to Race him. He gets a Wort, but I have the Sword, so I win.
    Game 2 he cuts me off on one color, so I couln't really fight back. My Landdrops come to late, to reverse the Game...
    Game 3 he starts with double Lackay, which I couldn't handle. Then he goes -> Lackay -> Ringleader -> Ringleader. At this point Time is called, and I do the Math and think, I could stall the Game into a draw. But the other guys got some Beer from the Car and my opponent deserved the win, so I shake Hands with him...

In the End Team SPOD ended with this Standings:
    • DerHeiler”: 5:3 :1
    • "MSC": 4:3 drop
    • Locutus”: 4:3 drop
    • "spirit of the wretch": 3:3 drop

My two Cents on the Tournament:
    Who decided the table order for this Tournament? In the Siderooms, with the last 60 Tables, there where real chairs instead of folding chairs and every match had their own table (it was small, but still). This while the first tables had up to 4 Matches at one table, meaning no space to place yourself and your cards...
    In Italy, no one seems to know Grow/Threshold. I had more than one opponent, who asked me, what I was playing. I then showed them my deck and they identified it as a "strange build of Bant-Aggro"...
    At the first Tables nearly everyone was playing Stifles and Spell Stutter Sprites. WTF?
    The Highlight were people identifiing us as team SPOD. Some of them knew us from Annecy, but others just heared of the Team Name. AWESOME!

At this point, we decide to leave the Site, to get something to eat. We search my Navi for the next Pizzeria and headed there. It was some Italian-Asian Combi-Restaurant which served really bad Chinese beer, but awesome Pizza. You havn't eaten real Pizza, as long as you didn't eat it in Italy. Large as a wheel but only some millimeters thin and ultimatively delicious.
    After this we head back to our Hotel and sneak in this time, so no one has to sleep in the Car again. Then there was Highlander played, cold beer drunken from the room fridge and a lot of thrash talked.

The next morning we headed back to germany. Cause the Pizzerias had still closed, we set course for the next McDonalds. There a Children-Birthday-Party was happening at that time. This meant we had to eat our meals with a background of screaming kids.
    On our way back we worked on new secret deck techs, talked random Thrash and heared good music.
    Cause there was some traffic jam near the Gotthard-tunnel I randomly decided to drive over the Gotthard-pass. This was really awseome, cause you climb over 1km in heigh while driving slopes at the edge of the mountain. And on the other side, you drive down nearly the same heigh. We driven through extreme landscape, had amazing views down the mountain and drove high INTO the clouds!

So our journey ended. But more Adventures are just behind the horizon! Arrrr...
    Last edited by MSC; 11-24-2009 at 04:19 AM.
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Everything is better with Pirates!

Driver of the Team SPOD World Raiding Tour

God dank vir klank!

Dec 2008
    Greenhithe, Kent, UK

Re: Team SPOD World Raiding Tour: Milano

Thank you for your fun and amusing report, you guys certainly do have interesting road trips.

Bad news about the events time keeping, pretty poor.

I'm looking forward to some further reports from the remainder of your Pirate crew. :)

Thanks again.

Apr 2008
    Schwabenland

Quote Originally Posted by MSC View Post
    The Highlight were people identifiing us as team SPOD. Some of them knew us from Annecy, but others just heared of the Team Name. AWESOME!
    I was
    As I said you, hering about your stories reminded me this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSAteViTIwc

And I also had the luck to see the pimped deck of your Marius Haussman

Ah... you were playing strange deck, not us...

See you in the next big tourney (it is rumored we'll have another big one in Milan 7-8 Dec, stay tuned for more info)
    A renown deckbuilder wrote me:

Enjoy, and spread the word that I didn't meant for this to be simply "cool", but rather prove that choosing the right card means using the card that best fulfills its purpose, not the card that is accepted as "strongest"/"best"...

THIS IS WHAT MAGIC SHOULD BE !!!!

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Normaly Registration should have closed at 9:30 and the tournament start should have been around 10 o'clock. But they open the Registration at short before 10 and have ONE F**KING REGISTER, where everyone of the participants has to go and tell his number. There were around 280 people, so the Tournament starts not before 12...
    This happen quite often here: I had a PTQ ext that lasted till 3am due to booking problems. It was held in a restaurant of some sort, and at some time the owners decided that the place had to close. People played the Top8 at a judge's home.
    There were like 8 or 9 rounds of swiss and one of my friends went 6-0 drop (!!!), cause the tournament was taking too long. It was more testing survival training, than M:tG skills.
    In Italy, no one seems to know Grow/Threshold. I had more than one opponent, who asked me, what I was playing. I then showed them my deck and they identified it as a "strange build of Bant-Aggro"...
    At the first Tables nearly everyone was playing Stifles and Spell Stutter Sprites. WTF?
    This is quite strange. It's true that tempo builds are the most popular in Italy, but it's quite strange people not knowing counterbalance Bant. Maybe it's a Milan thing..
    You havn't eaten real Pizza, as long as you didn't eat it in Italy. Large as a wheel but only some millimeters thin and ultimatively delicious.
    Yeah, you said it.
    That's a typical "northern" pizza (the ones I prefer too). In the south they usually make some less large and more tall thing.
    I'm Italian and I follow your reports carefully. They're great! Keep on with the great work!
    Oh, and try with some not aggrocontrollish, combo or aggro reports are more fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

Not Banned
    Sep 2007
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    Oh, and try with some not aggrocontrollish, combo or aggro reports are more fun!
    Lies. There is nothing more exciting than;

Game 1: I get countertop down.
    Game 2: Opponent assembles countertop.
    Game 3: Opponent gets countertop. But i get 2 goyfs first.

Thats more fun than sitting on a park bench!

But seriously though... Great reports.

Endgegner
    Dec 2008
    Karlsruhe, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    What? Nothing is more interesting than writing "I drop CB and win...". Naaaah, at least its short to write.

I wish Stefan would write a report about his matches with Zoo, but he has no Internet at the moment, so I doubt it...

Folk Punk Pirate
    Oct 2007
    Mannheim, Germany

I wish Stefan would write a report about his matches with Zoo, but he has no Internet at the moment, so I doubt it...
    That and I obviously suck at this game...

So for public amusement I can walk you through my matches:

Beer
    Beer
    BEER!
    Hotel
    Beer
    Get up way too early
    Mono U Bye
    Grow/w take 10 from doublestriking Pridemage and win
    Walk into Stifle vs Fearies (Top8ed)
    Ichorid tries and succieds in outsucking me
    Throw Ape into Goyf vs Zoo
    4 Rhox Monk vs Grow/w
    BEER!
    Hotel
    BE-ER!
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Not really a Legacy Team anymore.

funny report.. better luck next time.
    would someone please post this faeries list w/ sprites stifles?
    is it just the extended list + fows/brainstorms??

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

Too bad you kinda failed. Nice report though.
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

Jun 2006
    Germany

The Faeries deck had Wasteland, Bitterblossom, Fire/Ice, Terminate, Tombstalker, Force, Daze, Brainstorm, Stifle, Spellstutter Sprite, Ponder...

That's all the card I saw in the time I watched.

Jun 2004
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Muradin View Post
    The Faeries deck had Wasteland, Bitterblossom, Fire/Ice, Terminate, Tombstalker, Force, Daze, Brainstorm, Stifle, Spellstutter Sprite, Ponder...

That's all the card I saw in the time I watched.
    Sounds similar to one of the lists from Japan that won a tournament or two over there last December.
    Conan, what is best in life? - To crush your enemies, see them driven before you... and to hear the lamentation of their women!

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Probably this list or a close riff on it. Pietro Froio (kikkofrio) made it a few months ago and it has collected some Top 8s since then:

Mainboard:
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    4 Wasteland
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    4 Tombstalker
    4 Spellstutter Sprite
    4 Bitterblossom
    4 Terminate
    4 Fire / Ice
    4 Stifle
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    # 60

Sideboard:
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Blue Elemental Blast
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    # 15
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Dec 2006
    Italy

Yeah, it was my deck:

- 1 fire/ice +1 jitte
    Changes on SB.

what are the bad matchups for the deck?

Endgegner
    Dec 2008
    Karlsruhe, Germany

Burn, Enchantress and straight aggro (Goblins / Elfen). Maybe Stax...

Thread Information