Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storming to First Place - Eli's 9/19/09

Storming to First Place - Eli's 9/19/09

Warning: If you're looking for a heroic uphill battle to reach the top, these aren't the droids you're looking for.

Alright, I decided to stay at college the night before and drink. After going to bed at 2:30am and waking up at 7am, I began the drive to Syracuse. I get to Barnello's by 8:45 and we're off. Colin had also been drinking the night before, between the two of our beer farts all the way down to Binghamton, the car smelled delicious. We had decided to start a new tradition, if someone in the car wins, they have to buy everyone else dinner - what a mistake. We had also decided dinner in Binghamton means Sonic - the only one in NY.

We arrive at Eli's and as always I search through the japanese foils, no beans. Then Eli pulls out a box of his personal stuff and he has a FFB Underground and a Foil Japanese Silence! Woopt! Jackpot.

The EPIC Storm as of 9/19/09

Lands
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 City of Brass
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

Creatures
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

Spells
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Infernal Tutor
    3 Orim’s Chant
    3 Duress
    2 Mystical Tutor
    1 Ad Nauseam
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Silence

SB:1 Diminishing Returns
    SB:1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB:1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB:1 Empty the Warrens
    SB:1 Grapeshot
    SB:1 Duress
    SB:3 Pyroblast
    SB:1 Infernal Tutor
    SB:1 Echoing Truth
    SB:1 Krosan Grip
    SB:2 Shattering Spree
    SB:1 Hurkyl's Recall

Round One: Survival Elves

Game One: He opens with land, Elf, go. I mulligan, after I draw, my hand consisted of Brainstorm, Dark Ritual, Ponder, Simian Spirit Guide, Chrome Mox, Lotus Petal, Underground Sea. I play Underground Sea, Ponder, looking into Lion's Eye Diamond, Lotus Petal, Infernal Tutor. I take Petal. He plays Priest and passes. I draw the Lion's Eye Diamond. I Brainstorm into Infernal, Petal, and Mox. I put back the two moxen. I lay the two Petals, Lion's Eye Diamond, Remove SSG, play Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor for Ill-Gotten Gains, get back Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, and Infernal. Lay them out and Tendrils.

Sideboarding: -3 Orim's Chant, -1 Silence, +1 Infernal, +1 Duress, +1 Echoing Truth, +1 Shattering Spree

Game Two: He plays land, elf, go. I look at my hand of Dark Ritual, Chrome Mox, Infernal tutor, Simian Spirit Guide, Lotus Petal, Ad Nauseam, Rite of Flame. I play Chrome Mox removing Infernal, Dark Ritual. Remove SSG, Rite of flame, lay Petal, Ad Nauseam, draw a bunch of cards and Tendrils him out.

2-0
    1-0

Round Two: B/w/g Deadguy

Game One: He Duresses me and takes my Dark Ritual over Lion's Eye Diamond. I play down my artifact mana and land. He then plays Gaddeck Teeg on turn two. I Ponder a few turns later into Burning Wish, Infernal and a land. I Burning Wish and clear his confidant and teeg with Grapeshot. He then shows me two lands in his hand and says thats probably game over. He then rips another teeg off his deck.

Sideboarding: -3 Orim's Chant, -1 Silence, +1 Infernal, +1 Duress, +1 Echoing Truth, +1 Shattering Spree

Game Two: I look at Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, City of Brass, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame. I play the petals, 2x Ritual, 2x Rite off of them, City of Brass, Infernal for Ad Nauseam (Faerie Macabre). Draw a ton of cards, play a bunch of cards. Tendrils.

Game Three: He plays Savannah, go. I draw a Lion's Eye Diamond. Turned my hand upside down. It was now, Infernal Tutor, Infernal Tutor, Brainstorm, Dark Ritual, Chrome Mox, Gemstone Mine, Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond.

4-1
    2-0

Round Three: Survivalless Elves

Game One: He opens with Elf go. I keep a hand of Chrome Mox, Brainstorm, Brainstorm, Ponder, Underground Sea, Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual. I draw a Chrome Mox, I cast brainstorm, into two land and SSG. I put back he two Moxen. I pass, he plays archdruid. I Ponder into nothing, shuffle, draw a Lion's Eye Diamond. He then drops a ton of elves and passes. I draw something irrelevant. Brainstorm into Mox, Dark Ritual, Mystical Tutor. He then kills me on his turn.

Game Two: I don't really remember the beginning of this game, I was too caught up with the end. He's dealt me a ton of damage because I kept a similar hand to the first. I Brainstorm into Burning Wish, I wish, Diminishing Returns. I end up with Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Infernal Tutor, Brainstorm, Chrome Mox, Ill-Gotten Gains, and Burning Wish. I have no mana floating. I then play Brainstorm off of a petal into Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, and Mystical Tutor. I play the other Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, Chrome Mox, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor for Tendrils.

Game Three: Much like games one and two, I keep an iffy hand that shapes up. On turn 3 or so, I Burning Wish for Diminishing Returns and it gets the job done.

6-2
    3-0

Round Four: Landstill

Game One: I keep a hand of Underground Sea, Volcanic island, Brainstorm, Ponder, Lion's Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor. I play Volcanic Island, Ponder, looking for protection, find none and shuffle. Draw a Chrome Mox. He plays a Standstill. We play draw go for 2 turns. I eot Brainstorm still not finding any. I say fuck it and go for the win without protection. Because he left 1U open instead of UU his counterspells weren't available and he didn't play a Force.

Sideboarding: -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Ill-Gotten Gains, -1 Ponder, -1 Brainstorm, +3 Pyroblast, +1 Krosan Grip

Game Two: I mulligan to five because I can't draw a land. I keep a hand of, Duress, Gemstone Mine, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Duress. I draw a City of Brass. I play City and Duress him. He boarded into counter/top. He kept a hand of Force, Counterbalance, Top, 4 lands. I take Counterbalance. He plays top and passes. I draw a Lion's Eye Diamond. I play a Duress take his force. We play draw go for a few turns. My hand becomes Silence, Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor, Rite of Flame with 2x City of Brass and Gemstone. I silence him, he lets it resolve. I play Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor. Ad Nauseam. Draw a bunch of cardsm play a bunch of cards. Tendrils

8-2
    4-0

Round Five: Goblins

Game One: He leads with Mountain Vial. I keep a hand of Brainstorm, Dark Ritual, Ponder, Chrome Mox, Lion's Eye Diamond, Ad Nauseam, and Underground Sea. I draw Burning Wish. I play Sea, Ponder into protection, I shuffle to draw another Burning Wish. He plays a tinkerer, I draw a land, Dark Ritual, Mox, Led, Ad Nauseam add BBB. Draw a bunch of cards, play a bunch of cards win.

Sideboarding: -3 Orim's Chant, -1 Silence, +2 Shattering Spree, +1 Hurkyl's Recall, +1 Duress.

Game Two: He opens with Fanatic. I keep a hand of Lion's Eye Diamond, Chrome Mox, Lotus Petal, Shattering Spree, Rite of Flame, Ponder and Duress. I draw a City of Brass for my turn. I ponder... Mystical, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor. He plays a Goblin Piledriver. I draw, then play out my hand. Infernal Tutor for Ill-Gotten Gains and he scoops.

10-2
    5-0

Round Six: Aggro Loam

10-2-1
    5-0-1

Top 8: Landstill

Game One: Ponder, City of Brass, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Gemstone Mine, Orim's chant. I start out with City of Brass, Ponder. I see Burning Wish, Burning Wish, Infernal Tutor. Draw Infernal. On my turn I Chant, Ritual, Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal, Ill-Gotten Gains, Lion's Eye, Lion's Eye, Infernal, Tendrils of Agfony.

Sideboarding: -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Ill-Gotten Gains, -1 Ponder, -1 Brainstorm, +3 Pyroblast, +1 Krosan Grip

Game Two: He starts the game with turn one Top/Turn two Counterbalance. I'm locked out from here.

Game Three: He gets Top/Counterbalance online by turn three. Things are looking grim for me. Especially since he's light on land 3-4. Which in my eyes mean's he's got a counter in his hands. He attacks. On my turn I draw a Pyroblast. I Chant him, he tops, attempts to activate. I Pyroblast in response. He Forces. In response I Dark Ritual Twice, stack clears. I play Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor, Ad Nauseam. I start flipping at 14 life (Double city + 1 attack), I can't win, I'm at 4 and I keep going, flip ponder, flip Infernal. I look through all the cards and can't win unless I flip a land that doesn't deal me damage or a 0cc artifact. I don't even look and I flip. I hear people behind me going crazy. IT'S A CHROME MOX! I play out the artifact mana and Infernal Tutor for Tendrils.

12-3-1
    6-0-1

Top 4: Zoo

Game One: He starts with Wild Nacatl. I start with Volcanic Island, Ponder into Dark Ritual, Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox. I take a Ritual. My hand is now...Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Rite of flame, Rite of Flame, Chrome Mox, Infernal Tutor. I draw the other Petal. Play out everything into Ill-Gotten Gains get back Rite of Flame, Dark Ritual, Infernal, cast them all and Tendrils.

Game Two: Beginning of this game is fuzzy. He has a turn two Teeg and 2 Nacatls. I Burning Wish for Grapeshot and kill everything. He has no cards in hand and rips ANOTHER Teeg. I draw into nothing while he beats me with a Teeg carrying a Jitte.

Game Three: I kill him before he gets a turn. I play Underground Sea, Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Ad Nauseam. Draw a bunch of cards, play a bunch of cards.

14-4-1
    7-0-1

Finals: Merfolk

Game One: He opens with Curse catcher. I play land Ponder. He wastes. I play another land. He wastes. I attempt to go off with a Petal and a Mox with Rituals in hand. Uses Catcher, and shows Force. Nice draw.

Sideboarding: -1 Chrome Mox, -1 Ill-Gotten Gains, -1 Brainstorm, +3 Pyroblast

Game Two: I keep a hand of Silence, City of Brass, Gemstone Mine, Rite of Flame, Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor. I play land go. He plays cursecatcher. I draw Dark Ritual, I play a land, Rite of Flame, Silence (resolves), Dark Ritual, Lotus Petal, Lion's Eye Diamond, Infernal, Ad Nauseam. Draw a bunch of cards, play a bunch of cards.

Game Three: I keep a hand of Chant, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame Gemstone Mine, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Burning Wish. Adam plays Island go. I draw Chant. Land go. He plays a Lord. I draw a Lion's Eye Diamond. I play Rite of Flame, resolves. I play 2x Petal, Chant. He Forces, I play the other Rite of Flame, Chant. Resolves, Lion's Eye Diamond, Burning Wish, Empty the Warrens for 18. He doesn't have an out.

16-5-1
    8-0-1

I end up taking home...
    1x Japanese Foil Silence
    1x Japanese Foil Ponder (M10 - I have 4 of the original)
    1x German BB MINT Underground Sea
    $100.

Props:

EPIC! We did fucking awesome. 4 of 5 in top 8! 5th being 9th!
    Sonic
    Eli's Store
    Eli - Hooking me up with cards.
    Tony T's - Awesome Pizza
    Beer farts
    The Sleeping - Adam was right, awesome band.
    Drinking

Slops:

Team Unicorn
    Gaddeck Teeg
    Counterbalance
    Trinisphere
    Chalice of the Void
    Smelly dudes
    Beer farts
    Dan Jordan
    Hangovers
    Last edited by Bryant Cook; 09-20-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Ur tears of nerdrage taste so sweet to me.
    Feb 2008
    Do not care.

Re: Storming to First Place - Eli's 9/19/09

Congratulations for those beer farts!
    Team Legal Actions.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Good work with the victory,even if you lucksacked a bit. Did the SSGs work well for you,ordid they give you problems, especially if you flipped them off AdN? Also,i noticed you are boarding out IGG against blue decks. I'll give it a try too, even if i'm not convinced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    Good work with the victory,even if you lucksacked a bit. Did the SSGs work well for you,ordid they give you problems, especially if you flipped them off AdN? Also,i noticed you are boarding out IGG against blue decks. I'll give it a try too, even if i'm not convinced.
    Well control decks don't put a clock on you so Ad Nauseam becomes a bit better. I liked the SSG's. The only time they scared me is when I was at 9 and flipped one, but the mana helped me win.

AaaHHAHA!!
    GJ man, you go off much faster than the average hung-over college boy!
    ( more turn one wins than most people even dream off :P )

This report really made me want to play TES again, so fuck you. Now it's really hard to decide between TES and NLS :/

Also, since when has anyone wanted to give blue decks their FoW's back? You cannot possibly chant them every time you'd like to, especially when with TES you want to win NOW, not set-up a cute turn after next turn win. That is much harder when you can't just make a dday pile that wins though *insert hate here*.

I'm sorry if I come off like a dick but I'm drunk. Making sure there are no typos in this post has taken me fifteen minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Race War View Post
    <Carnage> fuck idiot learn education

Did you miss the CoV that you cut for a SSG? It looks like teeg was a problem in a few games.

I did in the g1 against GWB deadguy. But I had truth for the g2 against zoo. In both games I didn't see mystical. In fact I barely saw it the entire day.

+Hollywood+
    Nov 2003
    Upstate NY

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Props:
    EPIC! We did fucking awesome. 4 of 5 in top 8! 5th being 9th!
    Took long enough. Anyways, nice work. Only reason you got there was because I wasn't there.

Dig it.
    Truth, justice...and the American way.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Congrats Bryant! Great job, way to be a complete lucksack all the time
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

did you get paired down in round 5?

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I did in the g1 against GWB deadguy. But I had truth for the g2 against zoo. In both games I didn't see mystical. In fact I barely saw it the entire day.
    Would you consider taking out the Mysticals all together (for more SSG's)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    Would you consider taking out the Mysticals all together (for more SSG's)?
    No. They're still useful. More SSG's would only make Ad Nauseam worse.

Quote Originally Posted by lebron jim View Post
    did you get paired down in round 5?
    Yes.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Sweet report and it makes me want to pick up TES again. You are awesome at taking notes.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

You definitely write the best reports, you and Stephen Menendian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

You didn't play against any Thresh variants?! Wow. Is it just me or is does it seem like a really aggro-heavy environment? Great for combo.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

You didn't play against any Thresh variants?! Wow. Is it just me or is does it seem like a really aggro-heavy environment? Great for combo.
    People play Merfolk so other people play decks that are good against that, Zoo, Goblins and some people Rock. It's perfect for Combo.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Did you do any farting during the tournament? Because that would be savage tech.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Reading this report just makes combo sound like the only way to go, and easy to run to boot. I guess that makes sense, considering it was an undefeated romp. Congrats!

It´s just more individual party in your head.
    Apr 2007
    Germany

Nice report, allthough you could give at least a little bit reasoning for some choices. But I guess you did already about a hundred times or so^^
    Alltogether it was fun to read and as someone said above, now it´s even harder for me to decide whether to play TES or NLS :S.
    Ah, and Im happy you´re playing SSG too, since I´ve always found them more useful then CoV and stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordel View Post
    I'm not crying about it...I'm using as an example to illustrate why you should not be taken seriously.
    DCI: 68 10 43 34

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Congratulations. Regardless of how hard/easy your matchups were you won! Thank you for the detailed report.

Thread Information