Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Meandeck MUD

[Deck] Meandeck MUD

Here is the deck I played to a second place finish in Indy this weekend. I know there is already a mud stompy thread but it sucks pretty hard so I figured I would start a new thread for this deck.

Tournament report is available here http://www.quietspeculation.com/2011...e-at-scg-indy/.

4 Wurmcoil Engine
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    4 Great Furnace
    3 Mox Diamond
    3 Mox Opal
    4 Voltaic Key
    4 Grim Monolith
    4 Metalworker
    4 Goblin Welder
    4 Lodestone Golem
    4 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    2 Myr Battlesphere
    1 Sundering Titan
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Steel Hellkite
    2 Lightning Greaves
    2 Sensei's Divining Top

Sideboard
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Duplicant
    2 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Trinisphere

A couple notes:

I didn't play Blightsteel because I feel it is a win more card and I want to realistically hard cast all my threats without metalworker.

If you plan on playing this deck you have to practice your mulligans and recognize when you have to ship an akward hand.
    Last edited by blarknob; 02-09-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Re: Meandeck MUD

Congrats on the finish. Again, I'm gonna rub Sculpting Steel in.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

I considered it but didn't test it seriously, let us know how it works for you.

Jul 2004
    Corning, NY

I love the deck design! I am actually running a similar deck, but more control based with a more MUD feel with:

3x Winter Orb
    4x Tangle Wire
    4x Trinisphere

When building this deck, did you consider a blue splash for Thirst for Knowledge? I know Sensei's Divining Top works very well at card selection, but I have found the synergy of Thirst and Welder can be rather explosive. Also I am curious if Razormane Masticore made it into your testing at any point. For my list he is a complete threat that can shut down almost any aggro deck I play against.

I am happy to see though the combined use of Goblin Welder and Metalworker, something I have been using with great success. It is easy to deal with one early, but dealing with both can be very difficult when everything you cast can be a "must counter" type of spell.

I don't think the stax approach works very well in legacy.

(V) (;,,;) (V)
    Jul 2008
    Minneapolis, MN

What made you decline on Staff of Domination?

I felt it was also win more. It is only good if you have metalworker.

Sep 2006
    Nancy, FRANCE

yes but with 4 Kuldotha Forgemaster, you could consider running 1 staff

Nov 2010
    Columbus, OH

Assuming you have tested All is dust, for what reasons, if any, are you not playing it? What matchups do you think you might need it in? Also, it seems that you have a lot of combo hate. How much does the hate help in sideboarded games?

All is dust not being an artifact actually mattered in my testing, it proved to be less than impressive.

The Combo hate in the board is important. You are fairly weak to them game one but chalice/revoker/trinisphere really change that.

How has your Zoo matchup been? Preboard, it was bad. I only played like 10-ish games but it felt pretty hard since they can punish you for playing Tombs and they can pressure your life total quickly. It only felt like I could win if I comboed off with an early Wurmcoil + Greaves. Obviously, post board it gets better as Chalice @ 1 is good and 3Spehere too. However, judging from the opens it seems like Zoo is on the decline, so it may be a moot point.

Chalice turns the match in your favor against zoo. It blanks half of their deck.

Dec 2003
    Seattle

Any thoughts on answering Null Rod?

Did you test Mindslaver? I am envisoning a u/r version remnisicent of the old Vintage Shop Slaver lists that ran TfK. Thoughts?
    Calls for banning are almost always the scrubs way out. Real men view a challenge as something to overcome, a puzzle to solve, an opportunity to be had, and the source of evolution.

Why dont you guys test the list..... from the questions im sure you havent lol.

I would recommend the inventor try 1 maindeck Blightsteel, as it makes the combo matchup winnable in the first game. Attacking on the second turn with him is quite nice.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Hey Mike, it's Mark.

Congrats on the finish, bad beats for having to mull a lot in the finals, but I feel like this deck is very strong in this metagame. I'm looking forward to reading your report when it goes up!
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by RexFTW View Post

I would recommend the inventor try 1 maindeck Blightsteel, as it makes the combo matchup winnable in the first game. Attacking on the second turn with him is quite nice.
    Does it really? Take the odds of you playing vs combo, then having the t1 metal worker into the nuts, and then combo not having thoughtseize to disrupt you, chant in response, or kill you. The nominal improvement he would add against combo is probably not worth being the biggest brick in the deck when you are facing active disruption.

As for mindslaver, what matchup is it going to shore up? Also, diluting the manabase to red and blue seems exceptionally greedy.

People want to add thirst as a draw engine, but top + key and top + welder are both draw engines in among themselves in addition to giving card selection, being an artifact and costing 1 mana.

Quote Originally Posted by RexFTW View Post

I'd want to test him but the only slot he could occupy realistically would be replacing another robot. I'm too in love with Myr Death Star to get rid of the second and everything else is pretty firm. Slots are tight and all the other robots have better utility than just beating down. I wouldn't add BSC to beat Combo because he doesn't disrupt them. He still falls to STP and PTE like all your other robots but he does kill much faster. So much so that he's probably worth testing at some point.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

I tested this deck with my team.

Conclusions after testing:

1. Zoo Pre-side is very hard, removal and pridemage are our nightmare.
    2. Aggro Bant is also unfavorable. Counters, StP and pridemages, also Jitte is an Issue.
    3. Goblins with their, removal and mana disrupt is also though, speically that Welder is a goblin..
    4. Lightning Greaves are great it speed you up and protect, but there is very important to equip most important creature.
    5. Un-dazed Welder is our counter vs StP to any other targets and Pridemages.
    6. We have an issue with fast clock decks.
    7. Drawing engine Top + Key is enough - drawing 2 cards for 2 mana is what we need.
    8. Stifle is an nightmare.
    9. Mox Diamonds aren't great with 16 lands
    10. Wasteland can be gamebreaking on you if your rampa (welder/monolith fail).

We tested this deck vs:
    - Aggro Bant
    - Zoo
    - Loamed Green & Taxes
    - Merfolks
    - Dark Horizons
    - Junk & Taxes
    - Goblins

@Fatal: Test more. You won't typically draw multiple Diamonds and the rare hand where you do have it is probably a mull anyways, ie you will only be able to produce two mana off the bat leaving you at the whim of topdecks.

Countermagic really isn't a big deal. Force of Will is the only one that hits everything. Spell Snare hits only Monolith/Greaves and Spell Pierce is ok but is often dead due to the silly amount of mana in this deck. Counterspell only sees play in as a 1 or maybe 2 of. Counterbalance. That's the joke, get it? Almost all of your CB-able spells come down before it and the rest well...they cost a bajillion. And Goblin Welder. Countermagic is only good against you if they have a clock. Otherwise you will easily be able to play around it.

Only Dreadstill plays Stifle. Otherwise irrelevant. Pretty easy to play around.

The most popular decks that play Wasteland are Goblins and Merfolk. Fortunately these selfsame decks are the ones that are the most vulnerable to being blown out by an early Metalworker. Thanks to Crucible and Top Wasteland hasn't been too insane against me.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

"Only Dreadstill plays Stifle. Otherwise irrelevant. Pretty easy to play around."

Forgot about Horizons ? This deck has a lot of mana but only if your extra mana source is in play. You don't control play without ramping first so tempo decks can just slow u down enough to beat your before u can put any bomb on table.

I worried about this construction has his big time only if opponent don't now how to play vs you.

Thread Information