Page 12 of 160 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S - The EPIC Storm

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

Re: [Deck] T.E.S - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    That 4th Duress really should be a Chant in the maindeck.

Also, c'mon guys, all of these lists are getting ridiculous.
    Ridiculous because? It isn't the type of list you would play? I'm not being an ass, whats wrong with making TES more consistent?
    "I just shot Marvin in the face!"
    "Why the fuck'd you do that??"

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp_Fiction View Post
    Ridiculous because? It isn't the type of list you would play? I'm not being an ass, whats wrong with making TES more consistent?
    I didn't mean lists as cards being played. I mean last page is 70% everyone's decklists. It's possible to have intelligent discussion without 5,000 lists.

Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I didn't mean lists as cards being played. I mean last page is 70% everyone's decklists. It's possible to have intelligent discussion without 5,000 lists.
    kk, agreed. As with a lot of combo threads, people like to blatantly ignore others comments then post their own list and ask for comments disregarding anything that has been said.

Regarding the blast plan. Do you guys really find it to be that effective against CB?? I always found blasts to just be incredibly random and on occassion they work well, but most of the time it sits in my hand and I draw into LEDs.

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

kk, agreed. As with a lot of combo threads, people like to blatantly ignore others comments then post their own list and ask for comments disregarding anything that has been said.

Regarding the blast plan. Do you guys really find it to be that effective against CB?? I always found blasts to just be incredibly random and on occassion they work well, but most of the time it sits in my hand and I draw into LEDs.
    Blasts have been pretty awful in all of my storm testing. They're never there when I want them to be and are only truly effective before your opponent gets his engine online. Anytime after that, it's pretty much dead - Krosan Grip has been the only reliable out, as annoying as it is to run.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Yesmilord View Post
    Blasts have been pretty awful in all of my storm testing. They're never there when I want them to be and are only truly effective before your opponent gets his engine online. Anytime after that, it's pretty much dead - Krosan Grip has been the only reliable out, as annoying as it is to run.
    I don't think I'd run two grips. However, I could see dropping the two blasts for a Wipeaway (Same function and deals with Gaddeck Teeg) and some other card. I just don't know what other card yet.

being able to counter an early counterbalance is really really good. i guess in that case the wipe away does the same thing...but some of the supreme blue lists have eight or nine 3 costs and could randomly counter it game 1. (2 trygon predator, 3 firespout, 3-4 rhox war monk).

i also really like pyroblast against ichorid...countering a breakthrough or careful study besides shocking the shit out of my opponent has won me quite a few games.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

That's what you did to be honest. I made comments on your list about the possibility of including more chants showing mine as a sort of "how would it be with my suggestions", and your post after was your list you brought to a tourney without any feedback for my lines.
    I'd like to know if you didn't appreciate my suggestions, so that we can build a more consistent TES.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    That's what you did to be honest. I made comments on your list about the possibility of including more chants showing mine as a sort of "how would it be with my suggestions", and your post after was your list you brought to a tourney without any feedback for my lines.
    I'd like to know if you didn't appreciate my suggestions, so that we can build a more consistent TES.
    That was a tournament report, those are exceptions :) j/k
    I have been messing around with numerous Chants and people in my meta have actually been running Divert ..... also, I have decided to totally cut the EtW plan in the board, which was the only reason I was playing 4x Duress main anyway. I was thinking something like: 2x Silence, 1x Chant, 2x Duress in the main as protection spells.

@Bryant: If you just cut 2x SSGs from the main you can play Grips in the board without any effect on AdN reveals. And with 4x Chrome Mox + cantrips + 11 lands I would assume that you could regularly cast them.

@lebron jim: The problem is that they have to be in your hand. You can't Mystical in response to a CB and get a Blast, well, I suppose you could, but the likelihood of killing the CB with a blast is highly unlikely. It can happen yes, but the odds are really not in your favor. And in the Dredge matchup, all you have to do is Chant-walk them, they have literally nothing they can do and we are faster and more consistent in early kills. Blast just seems sup-par as a SB card as it is really only good in your starting hand.

Here is something that I have been wondering about; in general, what are the absolute necessities of the wishboard in today's meta. I was thinking:
    1x D Returns
    1x IGG
    1x Tendrils
    1x Infernal Tutor
    1x EtW
    1x disenchant/bounce/protection spell slot

Does anyone agree with this. Now I understand that a lot of you may encounter Reanimator on a regular basis and thus Deathmark is also necessary. But stripped down to the bare minimum, does this look like only the essential wish targets?

I doubt IT qualifies as essential, past Tendrils of Agony, Empty the Warrens, Ill Gotten Gains and Diminishing Returns, I'd say Grape Shot and then removal cards of choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Aug 2009
    SoCal

just got back from a decent sized legacy tournament in Los Angeles (about 50 or so ppl) and top8d with card for card cook's list. ill put up a report as soon as i wake up

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tgDC$ View Post
    just got back from a decent sized legacy tournament in Los Angeles (about 50 or so ppl) and top8d with card for card cook's list. ill put up a report as soon as i wake up
    I'd like to read this.

I'm currently working on my sideboard. I'm returning to Wipeaway over the blast plan. 2 Blasts are just weak.

SB:1 Diminishing Returns
    SB:1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB:1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB:1 Empty the Warrens
    SB:1 Grapeshot
    SB:1 Infernal Tutor
    SB:1 Chain of Vapor
    SB:1 Echoing Truth
    SB:1 Wipeaway
    SB:1 Krosan Grip
    SB:2 Shattering Spree
    SB:2 Deathmark
    SB:1 ? Cleanfall/Orim's Chant/Infernal Contract/Duress/Empty the Warrens/ Doomsday (not a joke)/ Hurkyl's (Not really, I hate this card)/ Xantid ??????/ Help me.

I totally found a Jap Foil Slithermuse in a dollar box and am craving to play it!

Steve Carpenter's my friend.
    Feb 2009
    Poughkeepsie, Ny.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant cook View Post

i totally found a jap foil slithermuse in a dollar box and am craving to play it!
    edh.

Aug 2009
    SoCal

Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

@tgDC$: Congrats man, but I noticed a few things in your report. There are numerous games where you could have won with IGG instead of AdN. You went double LED IT into AdN when you have a guarnteed win with IGG. Just something to remember, only use AdN when you have too, and make that judgment from your opening hand and what you are playing against. I also saw a game or 2 where you had open mana, DRit, IT, LED and Petal and still went for AdN. AdN is a powerful card but is random in nature and can fizzle, just be weary of using it when you have other options available.

@Bryant: I would run a Cleanfall if you are going into an unfamiliar environment, but when playing in metas you know I would cut either a Shattering Spree or Deathmark and play 2x Xantid Swarm. I am so satisfied with the Swarm, since unlike Shusher he just says "answer me or lose". Playing 1 Swarm just seems pointless, but 2-3 is always good since you don't even have to draw Swarm for it to be effective.

Do you think Grapeshot is worth playing anymore? Ever since the new rules fucked the Wishes over I haven't played Grapeshot. I only really ran it because you can genuinely get a storm count of 19-20 fairly easily when you can keep wishing for IGG and I liked having it as a backup kill source. I like it to remove the hate bears but I usually find that after I use up my 1 Wish for Grapeshot + a ritual I am down at least another 2 turns trying to reshape my hand. How often do you guys find yourselves actually wishing for it anymore?

Bryant Cook

@Bryant: I would run a Cleanfall if you are going into an unfamiliar environment, but when playing in metas you know I would cut either a Shattering Spree or Deathmark and play 2x Xantid Swarm. I am so satisfied with the Swarm, since unlike Shusher he just says "answer me or lose". Playing 1 Swarm just seems pointless, but 2-3 is always good since you don't even have to draw Swarm for it to be effective.
    I run 2 Xantid maindeck. I know my protection package looks AWFUL, but it seems to work very well. I may go back to the additional Duress and Chant MD and bring in Swarms since I have additional SB slots.
    2 Chant
    1 Silence
    2 Duress
    2 Swarm

Do you think Grapeshot is worth playing anymore? Ever since the new rules fucked the Wishes over I haven't played Grapeshot. I only really ran it because you can genuinely get a storm count of 19-20 fairly easily when you can keep wishing for IGG and I liked having it as a backup kill source. I like it to remove the hate bears but I usually find that after I use up my 1 Wish for Grapeshot + a ritual I am down at least another 2 turns trying to reshape my hand. How often do you guys find yourselves actually wishing for it anymore?
    Yes. I use grapeshot all the time, sometimes even when I'm not showboating.

Aug 2009
    SoCal

@pulpfiction - Yea, I was waiting until someone would point that out. I guess I got carried away with flipping good off that card all day but definitely there were several times that I could just IGG Loop ftw. As I gain more experience with this deck hopefully my decision making will get better. Thanks for the heads up

Bryant Cook

Since I didn't know what to do with the sideboard I've gone back to the traditional protection package MD of 3/3/1 Chant/Duress/Silence and moved the Xantid Swarms to the SB.

Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

I made it to a top 4 split at my local tournament tonight with a slightly offsetting list that I have been tweaking for the last few weeks and it performed flawlessly! My matchups were: Zoo (2-0), Mono-Black Discard (2-0), UBgw CB Thresh (2-1), two intentional draws, and Ninja Chant (2-0) in the finals. And this last deck I played in the finals is no joke, it consists of: 4x Meddling Mage, 4x Force, 4x Daze, and 4x Jotun Grunt (does a lot of damage fast and fucks up Rites) and after SB it gets: 1x Mindbreak Trap and 4x Orim's Chant! I currently have a lot of work to do on eBay (my job rocks) but I will update this thread tomorrow with a tournament report!

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

I made it to a top 4 split at my local tournament tonight with a slightly offsetting list that I have been tweaking for the last few weeks and it performed flawlessly! My matchups were: Zoo (2-0), Mono-Black Discard (2-0), UBgw CB Thresh (2-1), two intentional draws, and Ninja Chant (2-0) in the finals. And this last deck I played in the finals is no joke, it consists of: 4x Meddling Mage, 4x Force, 4x Daze, and 4x Jotun Grunt (does a lot of damage fast and fucks up Rites) and after SB it gets: 1x Mindbreak Trap and 4x Orim's Chant! I currently have a lot of work to do on eBay (my job rocks) but I will update this thread tomorrow with a tournament report!
    Looking forward to this. After a few difficult tournaments with DDANT, it might be refreshing to go balls to the walls again :P

Aug 2009
    SoCal

Congrats man, really looking forward to reading this

Thread Information