Page 5 of 160 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] T.E.S - The EPIC Storm

Re: [Deck] T.E.S - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by BackDr0p View Post
    Another thing which came to my attention is number of hands that have to be mulliganed due to 2x Chrome Mox. Maybe we can cut one of them to re-include Chain of Vapor. At least that way, we have an out to MD Teegs that and other random stuff which prevent us from winning.

This became a very apparent issue during the tourney I participated in this past Saturday. I had to mull quite a few time due to moxen ruining the fun. In fact the only time I ever wanted to see them, is off Ad Nauseam.
    I cut the 4th mox for a fetch...it's working well.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    ...okay I'm going to assume we know how to play TES. If you infernal tutor for a protection spel that isn't redundant, you won't win.

emidln I totally respect your skill with Storm Combo, but seriously? Why suggest a card that we know will not be used?
    Serenity is not useless at all. People have played it, and most likely it will be seen in sideboards in the future also. First or second turn Serenity guarantees a safe combo next turn versus any chalice/trinisphere-deck. It's more reliable than Spree if there are more than one lock pieces. Serenity may also be a factor in countertop matchups.

It's probably not the best option you have, but it's far from useless.

EDIT: If you are playing storm combo in chalice-heavy metagames, Serenity would be one of your best options.
    Last edited by Hopo; 10-12-2009 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added a point

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Serenity is not useless at all. People have played it, and most likely it will be seen in sideboards in the future also. First or second turn Serenity guarantees a safe combo next turn versus any chalice/trinisphere-deck. It's more reliable than Spree if there are more than one lock pieces. Serenity may also be a factor in countertop matchups.

EDIT: If you are playing storm combo in chalice-heavy metagames, Serenity would be one of your best options.
    It's hard to take this seriously.

Infernal Tutor for Serenity Emildn? C'mon unless you already have one in hand it seems awful. Let's discard our hand to search up a card that doesn't win the game.

At probably Emildn's fake account - Serenity won't see play in the future. It's an enchantment in storm combo that doesn't help you win. It requires four slots in the sideboard in a deck that uses a wish board.

-It's white. The worst color in magic. (Orim's Chant is a black card let's be honest).

- It destroys our 12 artifact mana cards. Don't say it's irrelevant or not to play them before. It's not the same as slow combo decks that run 14-16 lands.

- Counterbalance? Because flipping a 2cc card doesn't answer Serenity? It's not a good answer.

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Ok guys, maybe you didn't read it correctly:
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    You need that as a sorcery. We have destroy all artifacts and enchants for 1W as an enchantment already.
    Emidln just stated that the fake card Backdrop invented needed to be a Sorcery, to be tutorable with Burning Wish. Otherwise, if we didn't need a tutorable card, we could just play Serenity.
    Cause thats totally tutorable... good job.
    Here lorddotm just doesn't understand what emidln meant to say and points out that Serenity is non-tutorable. Emidln pointed it out in his post though.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    There's nothing stopping you from finding it with an Infernal Tutor. If you're going to try your hand at sarcastic comments, at least try to be factual.
    That's obviously sarcasm. Lorddotm did not understand that he already said that Serenity is not tutorable, and just brings it to a paradox where you tutor it with an hellbent IT.

Was that difficult to follow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    It's hard to take this seriously.
    My point being:

You cannot disagree about storm decks playing Serenity. It is a strong sideboard card against stax, as I stated. No need to get cocky about it. I have played it myself, and for me it has worked the way I described. It was also seen in emidln's sideboards, not sure about if it's there nowadays. Your arguments are kind of shallow: Sure, Serenity is white. So what? It destroys one of your artifact mana sources, which is hard to see as a bad of a drawback as you make it to be. If the option would be to die to lock pieces, I don't care about that one piece of artifact mana.

As I stated. It's probably not the best option, but an option anyway. And I trust I don't need to stress that different people actually have different kinds of builds of any given decks. Not everybody plays with 100 % your list. I'm sure many do, though. Meta's (should) dictate the lists and individual cards people use. I used Serenity when local meta was full of chalice aggro and affinity. I would play serenity over red blasts any time in such a meta.

Bryant Cook

I took 2nd in Binghamton today. 40+ people. A report will be up soon, I have some insane plays to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    I took 2nd in Binghamton today. 40+ people. A report will be up soon, I have some insane plays to share.
    Same Jackson dude BAMF

Is it a bad choice to play shock lands instead of duals, I realize duals are obv. better, but my reasoning is that f my entire deck is jap, except 3 cards, would it really hurt that much to play shocks? I mean you take damage from city already? or does it fuck up the ad nauseum with the 2 damage as opposed to 1 or none with real duals?

This isn't purely OCD here, shocks are easier for me to get ahold of...

Jan 2009
    Plateau, Montreal

Bryant, I'm looking forward to read it. I'll be taking TES to a 35+ man tourney this coming Saturday and I'm hoping to do as well as you. Also, will you be present at the November 14th tournament in Vestal?

Note: Finally some activity in the TES thread, the discussion has the tendancy to stall for a while then start up again.

imho you would be better off running forbidden orchard and a undiscovered paradise than running shock lands.

Jan 2009
    Plateau, Montreal

Yeah, you're much better off running the old TES manabase:

4 City of Brass
    4 Gemstone Mine
    2 Forbidden Orchard
    1 Undiscovered Paradise

Just beware of the extra dmg tokens created can deal to you. Especially after repeated use for cantripping. It's the reason why we replaced them w/ Underground Seas and a Volcanic Island.

Bryant Cook

If I had beaten Merfolk round 2 I wouldn't of played Tariq White round 3 and would probally of top 8ed as well. I was okay with top 16 and my $12 store credit though since it got me my last foil rite of flame and a crucible for edh.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Could Spell Pierce replace Pryoblast in the board?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Have to ask one of those West coasters about recreational purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSyndromeKarl View Post
    A baby seal walks into a club.
    West Coast Legacy

Bryant Cook

Could Spell Pierce replace Pryoblast in the board?
    This is interesting. But.. is there anything we need to counter that isn't blue? Not to mention, pyro destroys resolved spells.

Jan 2009
    Plateau, Montreal

Spell Pierce?

The problem I see with the card is the lack of versatility. It does nothing relevant against Landstill and their most troublesome card against us (Meddling Mage). At least Pyroblast is red (Duh) and can be cast off Rite of Flame and Simian Spirit Guide. Pyroblast is also a guarenteed hard counter/removal against Merfolk for example. The only situation where I would love to see Spell Pierce in my board would be in a meta filled with Dragon Stompy, Stax or any chalice aggro deck for that matter.

Edit: Bryant, you beat me to the punch.

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

It was an idea since it still stops CB while countering almost everything relevant that blast counters, but also hits Hymn, Chalice, Sphere, and missing out only on Mage, which deathmark hits.
    West Coast Legacy

Jan 2009
    Plateau, Montreal

That would mean 5 cards would need to be sided in against blue decks packing hate-bears. Thus, reducing the overall effectiveness of the deck but, improving very difficult MU's. It definitely warrants some testing though.

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

Ok, i picked the deck again just to give it a try and decide between it and ANT/DDay.
    @ Bryant Cock: while i agree on you about SBing out Mysticals against blue decks, against which matchups would you bring Echoing Truth in? Against Stax? Also, you autolose to Rule of Law or to any other Enchantment like Solitary Confinement if you didn't boarded in Echoing Truth (and even with it, 1-ofs seems a bit insufficient). Perhaps we'd have to find a slot that can make Disenchant. Also, all those "Diminishing returns into GARBAGE" should make you think a bit. Even with 2 SSGs which have improved the deck since the last version, DReturns still remains an excessively randomic Timetwister. Still worth a sb slot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Stay frosty.
    Apr 2009
    New York City

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    Ok, i picked the deck again just to give it a try and decide between it and ANT/DDay.
    @ Bryant Cock: while i agree on you about SBing out Mysticals against blue decks, against which matchups would you bring Echoing Truth in? Against Stax? Also, you autolose to Rule of Law or to any other Enchantment like Solitary Confinement if you didn't boarded in Echoing Truth (and even with it, 1-ofs seems a bit insufficient). Perhaps we'd have to find a slot that can make Disenchant. Also, all those "Diminishing returns into GARBAGE" should make you think a bit. Even with 2 SSGs which have improved the deck since the last version, DReturns still remains an excessively randomic Timetwister. Still worth a sb slot?
    I've been thinking that too. Returns is really a crap shoot, which doesn't work well with combo decks, plus 80% of the time EtW would accomplish the same task (kill with other dude without Tendrils)

I've been thinking about testing Cunning Wish. It lets us wish for AdN which is something that would be amazing in this deck. Also, we could wish for Cabal Ritual, Angel's Grace, Echoing Truth, Pyroblast, and others. ZThe casting cost kind of sucks though and would require the dropping of SSG for something that costs less (dare I say tinder wall?)
    West Coast Legacy

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    Mature. Decks that play Gaddeck Teeg/Pillar/Chalice/Enchantments/Random shit. Why would Disenchant be any better? I'll pack it to confinement or rule of law. They see literally 0 play, unless enchantress becomes a DTB.

I feel like returns is a must, even with a bad day like that, ETW wouldn't have always gotten the job done. IGG doesn't work versus blue.

I've been thinking that too. Returns is really a crap shoot, which doesn't work well with combo decks, plus 80% of the time EtW would accomplish the same task (kill with other dude without Tendrils)

I've been thinking about testing Cunning Wish. It lets us wish for AdN which is something that would be amazing in this deck. Also, we could wish for Cabal Ritual, Angel's Grace, Echoing Truth, Pyroblast, and others. ZThe casting cost kind of sucks though and would require the dropping of SSG for something that costs less (dare I say tinder wall?)
    Cunning Wish just seems terrible. Running a 3cc card in order to play a 5cc card so you can take multiple 3cc damage.

Thread Information