Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parallax Errata Undone

Parallax Errata Undone

Source

We are now free to once again go nuts with Parallax Wave/Tide + Opalescence silliness. It seems pretty slow for the modern format and a lot more complicated than just resolving Moat, but I think it's still worth asking -- is there any chance that it can fit in somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Being a 1C 2/1 with an ability isn't enough to make a card good by default. Elvish Archer is to First Striking as Dark Confidant is to card draw, and Nezumi Graverobber is to robbing graves as Tarmogoyf is to being much much better than a 2/1, but what the fuck does that even mean?

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Re: Parallax Errata Undone

Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    Source

We are now free to once again go nuts with Parallax Wave/Tide + Opalescence silliness. It seems pretty slow for the modern format and a lot more complicated than just resolving Moat, but I think it's still worth asking -- is there any chance that it can fit in somewhere?
    Cool, but probably meaningless for us. I'd love to eat my words, though.

They already comboed with Stifle, which is already a lot better on its own than any of the other stuff people are suggesting, and saw next to no play, so I doubt there'll be much impact.

Hey, cdr, is there a way for us to get infinitely recurring Tide? Like, does that thing in your sig work now?

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

About time. Also you can remove thing from the game for the entire game.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity - Seneca, Roman dramatist

As someone who wasn't around for it, would someone mind explaining the Parallax Wave errata? I don't quite understand it.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

This is Parallax Wave:

This is Parallax Wave's current Oracle text:
    Fading 5 (This enchantment enters the battlefield with five fade counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a fade counter from it. If you can't, sacrifice it.)
    Remove a fade counter from Parallax Wave: Exile target creature if Parallax Wave is on the battlefield.
    When Parallax Wave leaves the battlefield, each player returns to the battlefield all cards other than Parallax Wave he or she owns exiled with Parallax Wave.
    This means, that if you have a card like

Parallax Wave can remove itself from the game, along with creatures like

However, with the current errata, Parallax Wave itself doesn't come back. If this errata is removed, you can draw your library for instance in an endless loop.

Ofcourse this combo is more clunky than

Which rarely sees play, because it's... well... clunky .
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Sure, all that, Skeggi. But also, in my recollection the rules allowed you to remove the opponents' creatures and Disenchant it with the activations on the stack for a permanent removal. It was "too powerful" an effect back in the day and received power-level errata that we have been waiting to see removed since Flash.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Fading 5 (This enchantment enters the battlefield with five fade counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a fade counter from it. If you can't, sacrifice it.)
    Remove a fade counter from Parallax Wave: Exile target creature if Parallax Wave is on the battlefield.
    When Parallax Wave leaves the battlefield, each player returns to the battlefield all cards other than Parallax Wave he or she owns exiled with Parallax Wave.
    This part!
    It means that you can remove Eternal Witness from game, let that trigger resolve. Then use the remaining 4 counters to remove the opposing creatures, triggers on stack you bounce the wave. Witness comes back, gets back the bounce spell, opponents creatures become exiled. Combo for only 3UGGWW!

Sep 2005
    Boston, MA

So yeah, I ran this sort of combo (with stifle and parallax wave/tide) in a version of Angel Stompy a while back. The difference now is that it's now doable with disenchant as well. So you can pay one more mana for it!

Do I think this is going to matter at all? Not so much. I'm a good deck designer and those decks lost their competitiveness a long time ago. But let me tell you, during GP: Columbus (with Flash legal), any deck with Stifle rocked. As for Opalescense, even if it was legal, I think it'd still fall into the "bad" range.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc
    Thanks for your reply. I believe it is my wording that has made you unpleasant. My fears were something like Angel Stompy ruling Legacy.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

So now we basically have one-sided Armageddon for 2UU ???
    That would be ridiculous...

I think I am missing something...

No because it cant remove itself as the top trigger of the stack.
    I c h o r i d - my anti blue
    Manaless Ichorid- At least its cheeper than standard.
    We admit for the sake of the exercise that following is true:
    Landstill > Fromat
    Non-Basic Hate > Landstill
    Basics > Non-Basic Hate
    We can therefore logically conlude that
    Basics > Format

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by undone View Post
    No because it cant remove itself as the top trigger of the stack.
    Hm, you are right... I thought it leaves play as soon as the last counter is removed.

why was the former wording then worded:
    Remove a fade counter from Parallax Tide: Exile target land if Parallax Tide is on the battlefield.

(I guess the bold was the power-level-errata)

and the new one misses that "if ~ is on the battlefield"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Gottlieb
    New Parallax Tide wording
    Remove a fade counter from Parallax Tide: Exile target land.
    When Parallax Tide leaves the battlefield, each player returns to the battlefield all cards he or she owns exiled with Parallax Tide.
    Gottlieb only explains the combo between Wave and Opalescence.

Was there a powerful one with Tide, too, which led to its errata?

Sep 2005
    Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post

Umm, yes. Armageddon is 3W and requires one card. Parallax Tide with stifle (which was already legal) is 2UUU and requires two cards. Parallax Tide with anything else (say disenchant) only raises that cost. It's 5 mana at least, and it's not winning you the game...

Formerly, disenchanting didn't work because of that if clause. When the ability resolved, Tide was gone and therefor didn't remove anything from the battlefield. Now it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc
    Thanks for your reply. I believe it is my wording that has made you unpleasant. My fears were something like Angel Stompy ruling Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by tivadar View Post
    Umm, yes. Armageddon is 3W and requires one card. Parallax Tide with stifle (which was already legal) is 2UUU and requires two cards. Parallax Tide with anything else (say disenchant) only raises that cost. It's 5 mana at least, and it's not winning you the game...
    If you're removing less than 5 land, then you can also use parralax tide to recycle your own untapped lands (This doesn't work with stifle.). There's potential for janktastic interactions with high tide and oblivion ring.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Hm, you are right... I thought it leaves play as soon as the last counter is removed.

why was the former wording then worded:
    Remove a fade counter from Parallax Tide: Exile target land if Parallax Tide is on the battlefield.
    Because if you find a way to get rid of the enchantment as the top of the stack, it's leaves play ability triggers and then the fading/exiling resolves but they never return. So to stop that kind of trick, they added that the enchantment should be in play when resolving the fading/exiling in order to keep what I'm guessing is the original intent of the card.

Gottlieb only explains the combo between Wave and Opalescence.

Was there a powerful one with Tide, too, which led to its errata?
    It can be part of the same combo. Tide would be a creature and Wave would remove it.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

This + pridemage maby? I dont know how good that is but it seems like it could be playable because even removing 4 is still golden.
    I c h o r i d - my anti blue
    Manaless Ichorid- At least its cheeper than standard.
    We admit for the sake of the exercise that following is true:
    Landstill > Fromat
    Non-Basic Hate > Landstill
    Basics > Non-Basic Hate
    We can therefore logically conlude that
    Basics > Format

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Tide + Ankh + 5 Lands still = 10 damage.

Turbo Ankh anyone?

Dec 2006
    Spain

You must wait until you opponent has 5 lands. This is a lot in Legacy vs some decks

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Obviously you want to use these with Ring of Gix, right?

Thread Information