Thread: Yixlid Jailer - DoJ

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Yixlid Jailer - DoJ

Does it really stop you from cycling Decree of Justice for a bunch of dudes? (Since DoJ triggers when it hits the graveyard.)

Rapin' your villages, Burnin' your women
    Dec 2008

Re: Yixlid Jailer - DoJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Does it really stop you from cycling Decree of Justice for a bunch of dudes? (Since DoJ triggers when it hits the graveyard.)
    Yeah.

602.18c Some cards with cycling have abilities that trigger when they're cycled. "When you cycle [this card]" means "When you discard [this card] to pay a cycling cost." These abilities trigger from the graveyard.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Very good question, a lot of people don't realize that cycling triggers from the graveyard. It took a survival player boarding in jailer against me with landstill to realize.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Yes it does indeed. But I'm more curious why Leyline doesn't stop it. Or does it stop the trigger? Anyone knows?
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Nov 2008
    Tampere, Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Adan View Post
    Yes it does indeed. But I'm more curious why Leyline doesn't stop it. Or does it stop the trigger? Anyone knows?
    The previously quoted rule was pre-M10. Currently the rule says "These abilities trigger from whatever zone the card winds up in after it’s cycled."

702.26c Some cards with cycling have abilities that trigger when they’re cycled. “When you cycle [this card]” means “When you discard [this card] to pay a cycling cost.” These abilities trigger from whatever zone the card winds up in after it’s cycled.
    Level 2 Judge

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

The phrase "winds up in" is really in the comp rules? Dodgy.

With the new phrasing, Leyline and Planar Void look like they'll stop DoJ too.

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

The phrase "winds up in" is really in the comp rules? Dodgy.

With the new phrasing, Leyline and Planar Void look like they'll stop DoJ too.
    No. The new phrasing is so that Leyline and Planar Void don't stop Decree of Justice. You cycle Decree, and it is exiled instead, but it triggers from the exiled zone instead of the graveyard. This is different from a card that removes the ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Once Solidarity resolves a Meditate the most productive thing you can do with Orim's Chant is to find a nearby tophat and try to toss the Orim's Chant into it to amuse yourself while your opponent finishes his combo.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Yup. And Planar Void was never relevant, since DoJ is in the graveyard long enough to trigger; the Planar Void ability will stack on top and resolve first, but by then the soldier-making ability is already on the stack.

Another odd (but sensible) interaction is that with both Leyline and Jailer in play, DoJ does work.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Thread Information