Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

How about this one (not to be alarmistic, this is not such, I hope):

Name: Corona
    Card type: Virus Sorcery
    Mana cost: BBB

Text:
    You get an emblem with:
    This emblem comes into play with 14 time counters.
    During your upkeep, remove one time counter.
    When there are no time counters on this emblem, it is sacrificed.
    Whenever another player shuffles your library or targets one of your permanents, role a die:
    1-2: that player copies this emblem.
    3-6: nothing happens.
    A player who has previously had this emblem cannot have it again.
    During your upkeep, if your life total is 1 life or less, you lose one life.

It's not entirely playable, but... It's actually an interesting design space, having spells creating emblems and the tribal card type Virus.

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    How about this one (not to be alarmistic, this is not such, I hope):

Name: Corona
    Card type: Virus Sorcery
    Mana cost: BBB

Text:
    You get an emblem with:
    This emblem comes into play with 14 time counters.
    During your upkeep, remove one time counter.
    When there are no time counters on this emblem, it is sacrificed.
    Whenever another player shuffles your library or targets one of your permanents, role a die:
    1-2: that player copies this emblem.
    3-6: nothing happens.
    A player who has previously had this emblem cannot have it again.
    During your upkeep, if your life total is 1 life or less, you lose one life.

It's not entirely playable, but... It's actually an interesting design space, having spells creating emblems and the tribal card type Virus.
    Just make it a saga

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Just make it a saga
    A saga seems ok, it may be a better way to fit the functionality on a card. Emblems are typically rather simple. I do like the emblems though. Having players sit with emblems that replicate.. Would feel, poxy. Yes, we need more pox style emblems.

I was considering again what would make this card actually playable, and in a multiplayer game it's "value", or playability, grows with the amount of players, similar to a virus. But it still needs something else to be useful, and also some functionality to illustrate what happens when someone gets the virus. I think adding "you can't gain life" to it would be relevant and representative, illustrating that when you get the virus you get some kind of symptoms, although they are typically very weak, and potentially coughing and fever. It would also make it useful in a multiplayer game, can be coupled with for example Sulfuric Vortex and Eidolon of the Great Revel, also increasing the lifeloss it incurs.

A saga seems ok, it may be a better way to fit the functionality on a card. Emblems are typically rather simple. I do like the emblems though. Having players sit with emblems that replicate.. Would feel, poxy. Yes, we need more pox style emblems.
    You can give players counters, but giving them emblems is bad: Emblems should never be given willy-nilly because the only way to get rid of them is to end the game.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

non-ultimate Emblems like Chandra, Awakened Inferno are an interesting design space.
    Some pox-y Planeswalker with a +1: each player chooses 3 cards in their hand and discards the rest, and 0: each opponent gets an emblem with "at the beginning of your upkeep, if you have 3 or fewer cards in hand, lose 1 life"
    Could be fun
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I think you both have good points. FourDougsInahorseSuit, you're probably right that the emblems shouldn't have counters; although they are needed to imitate reality they are perhaps less fitting game-technically. Also agree with PirateKing, I think I may have had the Chandra in the back of my mind here, perhaps, anyway it would be interesting to see a similar Pox-style planeswalker, plussing to give Pox-emblems.

I was considering again what would make this card actually playable, and in a multiplayer game it's "value", or playability, grows with the amount of players, similar to a virus. But it still needs something else to be useful, and also some functionality to illustrate what happens when someone gets the virus. I think adding "you can't gain life" to it would be relevant and representative, illustrating that when you get the virus you get some kind of symptoms, although they are typically very weak, and potentially coughing and fever. It would also make it useful in a multiplayer game, can be coupled with for example Sulfuric Vortex and Eidolon of the Great Revel, also increasing the lifeloss it incurs.
    You could do something like:

B

Flip a coin. If you lose the flip, you lose 1 life, and cant gain life for the rest of the game.

Contagious - for the rest of the game, whenever a spell or ability targets you or a permanent you control, that spell or ability's controller flips a coin. Anyone who loses the coin flip copies this spell.

(It's worth pointing out that this doesn't have the "except this ability" clause that Epic spell does, so it has the potential to get out of hand quickly. It would probably be better if it only got stacked "one deep" but I'm not sure that there's a clean way to template that. Random mechanics tend to be cumbersome, but seem thematically necessary here.)

Edit: Nah, I like it as enchantment:

Global Pandemic
    BB
    Enchantment

When Global Pandemic enters the battlefield put a Virus Counter on target creature.
    Each creature with a Virus Counter on it is a Carrier in addition to it's other types and gains "At the beginning of your upkeep put a virus counter on a creature of your choice. If you can't, destroy all creatures."
    When a creature with a Virus Counter dies its controller loses one life.
    When there are no Carriers on the battlefield, sacrifice Global Pandemic.

bruizar

Edit: Nah, I like it as enchantment:

Global Pandemic
    BB
    Enchantment

When Global Pandemic enters the battlefield put a Virus Counter on target creature.
    Each creature with a Virus Counter on it is a Carrier in addition to it's other types and gains "At the beginning of your upkeep put a virus counter on a creature of your choice. If you can't, destroy all creatures."
    When a creature with a Virus Counter dies its controller loses one life.
    When there are no Carriers on the battlefield, sacrifice Global Pandemic.

Needs to be an indestructible world enchantment with shroud

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Needs to be an indestructible world enchantment with shroud
    Why? Let them find a cure. I've played pandemic before.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Is playing around Chaos Orb social distancing?

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Is playing around Chaos Orb social distancing?
    During the pandemic please drop your chaos orbs from no less than six feet away

Sep 2011

During the pandemic please drop your chaos orbs from no less than six feet away
    What's the official DCI ruling on social distance for Chaos Confetti?

Quote Originally Posted by ftw View Post
    what's the official dci ruling on social distance for chaos confetti?
    THIS CARD CURES CARONA
    (Please don't destroy it)

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Leyline of Fairness 2WW
    Enchantment
    If Leyline of Fairness is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
    Players can’t cast spells from anywhere other than their hands or activate abilities of cards other than on the battlefield.

Would a card like this be enough to stop lurrus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Leyline of Fairness 2WW
    Enchantment
    If Leyline of Fairness is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
    Players can’t cast spells from anywhere other than their hands or activate abilities of cards other than on the battlefield.

Wouldn't seen any play because you can't play it in Lurrus decks

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Wouldn't seen any play because you can't play it in Lurrus decks
    There's some real truth to this. What decks would actually benefit from that sort of effect? The fair decks don't want it because they're still down a card and it cuts them out of a great CA engine. IDK if the unfair decks actually care enough to jam it.

Leyline of Fairness 2WW
    Enchantment

Symmetrical effects? In today's magic?

3WW
    This spell cost 1 less for each card your opponents have drawn this turn.
    Players can't draw more than one card each turn.

Flash
    Flying
    2/4

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Thread Information