Page 97 of 102 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2033

Thread: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

@ronco - make that casting cost 3W. For it to be worthwhile, it still needs to be lower to activate. Not to mention, this card really comes into play after a brainstorm has been resolved. So there's not much of a gotcha there, the damage has been done.

In that ever attempt to fix brainstorm -

Balanced Ship
    U
    Instant
    Draw four cards, then place four cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.

Dig a card deeper, lose the ability to cantrip.

Broken Dreams UB
    Name a card other than a basic land, search Target player's library, and graveyard for up to four copies of that card and exile them. Then if that player has revealed any copies of that card exile those copies. If he or she doesn't, look at that players hand.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Broken Dreams UB
    Name a card other than a basic land, search Target player's library, and graveyard for up to four copies of that card and exile them. Then if that player has revealed any copies of that card exile those copies. If he or she doesn't, look at that players hand.
    No, just no.

A cheaper version of Cranial Extraction, Memoricide, or Slaughter Games? There's no reason for this card to be printed.

That is a bad card, and you should feel bad for designing it.

(covered ground, for reference, I was not aware all of these were actually things - https://www.cardmarket.com/en/Magic/...Lobotomy-Story)

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    No, just no.

A cheaper version of Cranial Extraction, Memoricide, or Slaughter Games? There's no reason for this card to be printed.

That is a bad card, and you should feel bad for designing it.

(covered ground, for reference, I was not aware all of these were actually things - https://www.cardmarket.com/en/Magic/...Lobotomy-Story)
    My card would only sometimes hit the copies in hand, but does hit companions as currently written.
    Considering that the 3cmc version, Unmoored Ego, only seems fringe play I don't think it's out of the norm to try a weaker version at 2.

May 2015
    PDX

My card would only sometimes hit the copies in hand, but does hit companions as currently written.
    Considering that the 3cmc version, Unmoored Ego, only seems fringe play I don't think it's out of the norm to try a weaker version at 2.
    Like any good hate, your card should be symmetrical. The opponent should get to name a card as well.

I don't see how it hits companions, it makes no mention of that zone, which already sits in exile (outside the game, or some other such fancy parlance).

I don't see how it hits companions, it makes no mention of that zone, which already sits in exile (outside the game, or some other such fancy parlance).
    Companions are not in exile. They are revealed before the game starts and are permitted to be cast once from outside the game.
    So a card that says that explicitly revealed copies are exiled would hit a companion

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Like any good hate, your card should be symmetrical. The opponent should get to name a card as well.
    Costs one. Each player has to tear their companion in half. Then go to their binder and find a copy for ante.

May 2015
    PDX

Costs one. Each player has to tear their companion in half. Then go to their binder and find a copy for ante.
    Speaking of which, where is the companion that is a 0/1 whose only text is “give your oppo this companion, if you do you get their companion....if they declare one”

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Speaking of which, where is the companion that is a 0/1 whose only text is “give your oppo this companion, if you do you get their companion....if they declare one”
    Jeweled Xzitery?
    It's the treefolk nightmare fish noble for R/B U/G

In that ever attempt to fix brainstorm
    Though I don't think it needs fixage, why not keep it as it is, draw 3 put 2 back, but also make you lose two life. Would be a more subtle drawback that adds up over the course of the game. Punishing abusive decks like ad nauseam, make it harder for delver/4c stuff to grind out longer games etc.
    Thinking about Thoughtseize here. Very strong effect that comes with a high cost.
    I know, life is "just" a resource you might say.. but it adds up.
    New brainstorm, double fetch, a force, having eaten a bolt or two, a swing from opponents Griselbrand.. can you still afford to agressively keep on digging?

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlenasty View Post
    Though I don't think it needs fixage, why not keep it as it is, draw 3 put 2 back, but also make you lose two life. Would be a more subtle drawback that adds up over the course of the game. Punishing abusive decks like ad nauseam, make it harder for delver/4c stuff to grind out longer games etc.
    Thinking about Thoughtseize here. Very strong effect that comes with a high cost.
    I know, life is "just" a resource you might say.. but it adds up.
    New brainstorm, double fetch, a force, having eaten a bolt or two, a swing from opponents Griselbrand.. can you still afford to agressively keep on digging?

What do you think?
    I don't think that cost is high enough. It's like red punisher cards, the opponent will always let the worse outcome for the active player resolve. Unless the player casting brainstorm is at 2 or 1 life that cost isn't high enough. If playing against a red deck, maybe the concern starts at 6 or 5 life (Fireblast or Lightning Bolt respectively).

We have Thoughtseize, where the cost is paid without concern, or at worse, sided out in game(s)s 2 (& 3?). G. Probe was banned for being a 2 life spell. A. Tomb isn't used ubiquitously, but plays in a bunch of decks that take the trade-off with little concern.

When one considers how effective Xerox decks usually are, when not in a mirror situation, they usually win with more than a few life points to the good.

Also, red herring, most decks don't have a Griselbrand to swing with. That's typically game over.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Thoughts on this?

"Force of White"
    Instant
    You may exile a white card from your hand rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
    Exile target noncreature spell unless its controller pays .

Exiles instead of countering, taxes, and can only hit noncreature spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Thoughts on this?

"Force of White"
    Instant
    You may exile a white card from your hand rather than pay this spell's mana cost.

I'm kinda over playable free counterspells.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Thoughts on this?

"Force of White"
    Instant

There is an irony in the name of the card (generic and basic as it is) and the current environment we're in with society and civic unrest. Like, it's too perfect.

I'm a fan of the card, awaiting a better name.

My take on fixed Duals:

Wet Swamp (+nine others)
    Land - Swamp
    T: Add B
    T, Pay one life: Add U

My take on fixed Duals:

Wet Swamp (+nine others)
    Land - Swamp
    T: Add B
    T, Pay one life: Add U
    I really like the idea. However, there would be 20 different types, since order now matters, unless you choose not to do certain combinations.

{B}, pay 1 {U}

{U}, pay 1 {B}

Those are two different cards of the same color combination.

If only 10 were made, which 10 would you choose, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    I really like the idea. However, there would be 20 different types, since order now matters, unless you choose not to do certain combinations.

{B}, pay 1 {U}

{U}, pay 1 {B}

Those are two different cards of the same color combination.

If only 10 were made, which 10 would you choose, and why?
    Good point. I think I would do an allied cycle with a pain from the left (so WG plains, WU island, UB swamp, BR mountain, and RG forest)
    And for symmetry an enemy cycle with pain for the right (WB plains, UR island, BG swamp, RW mountain, GU forest)

Good point. I think I would do an allied cycle with a pain from the left (so WG plains, WU island, UB swamp, BR mountain, and RG forest)
    And for symmetry an enemy cycle with pain for the right (WB plains, UR island, BG swamp, RW mountain, GU forest)
    That seems like an organized way to do it. I was imagining something similar. It does make it interesting how it would affect certain decks though.

For example, if I am playing mostly G and splash WB (Elves mostly just splashes B right now it seems), my options are a Plains and Swamp that cost 1 life to pay G, and a Plains that costs a life to pay B. That could get pretty painful.

However, if I am mostly G and go the RUG route, then I get two Forests that each cost a life for my splash colors, and an Island that taps for R. (RUG Delver mostly taps for U though, so it would be a bit painful for that deck.)

I think that, in certain decks, the shock lands would be better. I think that you hit a pretty good spot here with the design for these as far as power and interesting decisions are concerned.

Random idea for a black spell.

Slipping Sanity
    2B

Target player puts a card from their hand on top of their library.

Surveil 2.

Draw 1.

~ costs 1 less for each card named ~ in your graveyard.

EDIT: Unless I am mistaken, there is no "Target player discards a card, then draws a card" in all of Magic's history. I tried a number of different searches, but I couldn't find one. If I missed it, please let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by Whoshim; 06-20-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Thread Information