Page 49 of 102 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    There's Humility doing a way better job if played without Moat.
    + sweet with manlands.
    Humility might be better until your Tarmogoyf sits across from their Batterskull/TNN. Actually maybe the card should be green... vanilla beaters for life!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    I didn't say it'd be competitive, but having GOML and Moat on the table is pretty much the ultimate lock vs. creatures :p
    It's called Blazing Archon and I've beaten it with Elves - in game1.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Add hexproof to that and we have a deal.

That said, I think it should mirror Relic of Progenitus more and cost to sac. Otherwise, it's basically a colorless 1 mana cantrip that shits on protection creatures.
    Yeah, that's a fair point.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Guidance Counselor
    Creature - Spirit Advisor

Intimidate

Exile -this-: Exile all other creatures you control. Return them to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.

"Lord, it's a miracle! Man up and vanished like a fart in the wind...!" Warden Norton
    2/2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    So what happens if I cast a creature from any other zone, does it remain on the stack?
    Good point. I'm not sure what the correct wording would be here, as my rules-fu is quite weak. Do you have a suggestion?

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    It's called Blazing Archon and I've beaten it with Elves - in game1.
    Well, a reanimate does take it's toll on his/her own life and a death rite or 2 might make fast work in that case, I assume. :)

Apr 2014
    Fairfax V.A.

What about the wirewood symbiote for goblins to make that deck relevant again

Goblin Spark-starter
    1R

Return a goblin to your hand: deal one damage to target creature or player, you may activate this ability only once a turn

2/1

eh?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Vicar in a tutu View Post
    Good point. I'm not sure what the correct wording would be here, as my rules-fu is quite weak. Do you have a suggestion?
    Whenever a nontoken creature would enter the battlefield, if its mana cost wasn't paid, shuffe it into its owner's library instead.
    Gets around casting stuff from other zones (EDH) and prevents the "in limbo" thing Julian mentioned. I chose shuffling back since green doesn't exile creatures like this.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Gets around casting stuff from other zones (EDH) and prevents the "in limbo" thing Julian mentioned. I chose shuffling back since green doesn't exile creatures like this.
    Very cool. How about changing "mana cost" to "casting cost"? So that it reads like this: "Whenever a nontoken creature would enter the battlefield, if its casting cost wasn't paid, shuffe it into its owner's library instead." Would this be a relevant change? For example in the case of Hellspark Elemental: Would the burn player be able to Unearth it if Gaea's Hierophant reads "mana cost"? Any different from "casting cost"?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Very cool. How about changing "mana cost" to "casting cost"? So that it reads like this: "Whenever a nontoken creature would enter the battlefield, if its casting cost wasn't paid, shuffe it into its owner's library instead." Would this be a relevant change? For example in the case of Hellspark Elemental: Would the burn player be able to Unearth it if Gaea's Hierophant reads "mana cost"? Any different from "casting cost"?
    I have doubts about whether this can work.

To be sure, things check for costs having been paid all the time - spells like Nix certainly check the amount of mana spent on a spell, and the Bestow ability checks which cost was paid to determine what kind of spell it will be, *while* it is on the stack but before you pass priority.

But I also feel like this doesn't work intuitively 100% of the time. The first thing I can think of is Morph; a face-down creature spell on the stack doesn't have a mana cost to not pay. I'm not entirely sure what actually happens there; typically costs you can't pay prevent you from doing things - Platinum Emperion prevents a player from cracking fetchlands because they cannot pay the cost, and you cannot cast Evermind from your hand without being tricksy as it has no mana cost to pay. I'm inclined to think that Morph creatures are sort of auto-shuffled away by this, which I guess is not the literal worst thing in the world.

I'm also a little curious about what would happen to such creatures under a Trinisphere. Like, I'm not sure if the game would consider casting Noble Hierarch under a Trinisphere as " spent to pay the casting cost and spent to satisfy Trinisphere - the cost is paid" or " spent to cast the spell, which is not the mana cost - the cost is not paid".

Dec 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I have doubts about whether this can work.

To be sure, things check for costs having been paid all the time - spells like Nix certainly check the amount of mana spent on a spell, and the Bestow ability checks which cost was paid to determine what kind of spell it will be, *while* it is on the stack but before you pass priority.

But I also feel like this doesn't work intuitively 100% of the time. The first thing I can think of is Morph; a face-down creature spell on the stack doesn't have a mana cost to not pay. I'm not entirely sure what actually happens there; typically costs you can't pay prevent you from doing things - Platinum Emperion prevents a player from cracking fetchlands because they cannot pay the cost, and you cannot cast Evermind from your hand without being tricksy as it has no mana cost to pay. I'm inclined to think that Morph creatures are sort of auto-shuffled away by this, which I guess is not the literal worst thing in the world.

I'm also a little curious about what would happen to such creatures under a Trinisphere. Like, I'm not sure if the game would consider casting Noble Hierarch under a Trinisphere as " spent to pay the casting cost and spent to satisfy Trinisphere - the cost is paid" or " spent to cast the spell, which is not the mana cost - the cost is not paid".
    Good points. I'm not sure either what Trinisphere would do here, but I don't think it's bad if it goes one way or the other, I'm fine with Gaea's Hierophant having weird interactions. Grafdigger's Cage reads: Creature cards can't enter the battlefield from graveyards or libraries. Doesn't this mean that there is an opening in the rules for a card that does: "Whenever a nontoken creature would enter the battlefield, if its casting cost wasn't paid, shuffe it into its owner's library instead."?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Good points. I'm not sure either what Trinisphere would do here, but I don't think it's bad if it goes one way or the other, I'm fine with Gaea's Hierophant having weird interactions. Grafdigger's Cage reads: Creature cards can't enter the battlefield from graveyards or libraries. Doesn't this mean that there is an opening in the rules for a card that does: "Whenever a nontoken creature would enter the battlefield, if its casting cost wasn't paid, shuffe it into its owner's library instead."?
    I think Grafdigger's Cage is a good mention because it achieves a similar effect but with way different wording. It isn't so much about what the card aims to do, so much as how it aims to do it.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Necrotic Annihilation
    Sorcery.
    Pay 6 life: Destroy target permanent.

This might unnerve the color pie, but fuck it. Greatness at any cost.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Nature's Path

Instant.

Look at the top three cards of your library and put them back in any order. Then reveal the top card. If it's a creature or land card, put that card into your hand and gain 2 life.

Notes

Compared to Ponder, there are some advantages: Nature's Path is an instant (important). You can gain two life (narrow, but flavorful bonus). The card is put into your hand, not drawn (this works well with Spirit of the Labyrinth and similar hate). There are also several disadvantages: Nature's Path only cantrips if you find a creature or land (this puts some limits on deck contruction, if you want a full playset of Nature's Path, you can't fill your deck with artifacts, enchantments, planeswalkers, instants or sorceries). Nature's Path can only give you a creature or land (Ponder has no such in-built restrictions, the card draw happens no matter what). You have to reveal the top card of your library or the card that is put into your hand. Nature's Path cannot shuffle your library.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Also one cannot place bad cards from hand into the deck to be shuffled away.
    Honestly, seems fine. Green has more than a few "creature-or-land" draw spells already. Though they tend to favor putting the non-applicable cards in the graveyard or bottom of library. In fact if yours didn't stack the deck and just had the player reveal a card and tuck the rest, it'd definitely be printable.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Also one cannot place bad cards from hand into the deck to be shuffled away.
    Honestly, seems fine. Green has more than a few "creature-or-land" draw spells already. Though they tend to favor putting the non-applicable cards in the graveyard or bottom of library. In fact if yours didn't stack the deck and just had the player reveal a card and tuck the rest, it'd definitely be printable.
    I really don't understand why this card isn't printeable in a Commander / Planechase-product. It's not like green has never had library manipulation, with Sylvan Library and Natural Selection. Is the power-level of this card really higher than True-Name, Flusterstorm, Scavenging Ooze, et al?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I didn't mean it quite like that. Either version is fine, just, one that tucks or mills the other two is even more printable (imho). I'd love to play the original in a non-Blue Sliver concoction, for example

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Knight of Karametra
    Creature - Cleric Knight

When ~ etb, search your
    library for a basic Plains or
    basic Forest and put it otb tapped.
    Shuffle your library afterwards.
    ________________________ 2/1

Deepwood Wanderer

Creature - Elf Mystic

When ~ etb, search target
    player's library for a basic Forest,
    put it otb tapped under his control.
    Shuffle that library afterwards.
    _________________________ 1/2

Vastplains Wanderer
    Creature - Human Mystic

player's library for a basic Plains,

Sythaeryn, Half-Elf
    Creature - Human Elf Mystic

When ~ etb, search your library
    for a Plains or Forest. Put it otb
    tapped, then shuffle your library.
    ________________________ 2/2

I think my Kara.edh would be a bit better with cmc2 rampers.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Knight of Karametra
    Creature - Cleric Knight

When ~ etb, search your
    library for a basic Plains or
    basic Forest and put it otb tapped.
    Shuffle your library afterwards.
    ________________________ 2/1

Deepwood Wanderer

Creature - Elf Mystic

player's library for a basic Forest,

Vastplains Wanderer
    Creature - Human Mystic

player's library for a basic Plains,

Sythaeryn, Half-Elf
    Creature - Human Elf Mystic

When ~ etb, search your library
    for a Plains or Forest. Put it otb
    tapped, then shuffle your library.
    ________________________ 2/2

I think my Kara.edh would be a bit better with cmc2 rampers.
    Strange that there are no cmc2 with etb-ramp. Is Wood Elves the best there is?

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Strange that there are no cmc2 with etb-ramp. Is Wood Elves the best there is?
    I may be wrong, but I don't think there are any. If they'd be, I'd play them. :)
    There is Dawntreader Elk and Diligent Farmhand that spread teh mana over two turns, yet they are worse versions of STE. Frontier Guide we cannot count, it's horribly slow. Greenseeker is playable in Madness, but that's about it. KotWO doesn't play well with Karametra; no Tithe effect would. Silverglade Pathfinder is worse Greenseeker with better frame. Veteran Explorer and Viridian Emissary need to die first. If they'd trigger on leaving, they'd be perfect for stampeding creatures, alas they work differently.

Thread Information