Page 99 of 102 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102 LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2033

Thread: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    This one is more fun, but you could drop it on your own Oko for a 6/6 or 5/5 (quasi-hasty) beat stick.
    Enemy Planeswalker then. Something at least to explore the space between having a Planeswalker run amok versus totally killing them. So then Core Sets can have non-mythic answers to mythic haymaker cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Enemy Planeswalker then. Something at least to explore the space between having a Planeswalker run amok versus totally killing them. So then Core Sets can have non-mythic answers to mythic haymaker cards.
    That sounds like a good solution. It would be a fun card, though I don't think it will be enough. Teferi, Time Raveler could be a 1/1, but it could also be a 5/5 or more. Beast Within is probably going to end up being a better solution most of the time.

I think that it might need to look like this:

Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant permanent you do not control.
    Enchanted permanent loses all abilities (maybe add: except mana abilities). If it is a planeswalker, it becomes a creature with base power and toughness equal to the number of loyalty counters on it. (Maybe add a negative ability for the planeswalker's controller like: You lose 1 life at the beginning of your turn.)

I know that this version has a lot more text, but Price of Betrayal doesn't really see play (on mtgtop8, it looks like it made it into sideboards in some Sealed events for the most part, with 1 Legacy deck running 2 copies in the sideboard).

Here is another idea.

Enchantment - Aura WW
    Enchant permanent you do not control.
    Enchanted permanent loses all abilities (maybe add: except mana abilities). If ~ comes into play enchanting a planeswalker, add WW to your mana pool.

I also find it frustrating that they do not print reasonable answers to planeswalkers.

Does it really matter that you're spending two cards to turn oko into a large creature? This is a format with stifle+Dreadnought, if you want to make your own oko less useful... Go for it?

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Does it really matter that you're spending two cards to turn oko into a large creature? This is a format with stifle+Dreadnought, if you want to make your own oko less useful... Go for it?
    I feel like that is a little too dismissive of what could be an issue. Dreadnought needs another card to be good. Oko is already good. This proposed card works pretty well against Jace and probably decently well against Teferi. So, if you are running Oko, you could run this out of the sideboard to deal with those threats. However, if you can use it on your own Oko, then the following becomes possible:

Play Oko, +2 Food.
    +1 on the Food, Cast the new card on Oko, swing for 10.

That is not a Stifle + Dreadnought for 12 damage, but it would be two independently useful cards that can also just blow an opponent out.

Except turning oko into a 3 Mana 6/6 with food is basically a worse uro.
    I'm just not seeing the payoff when you already have cards like ensoul artifact which makes your already good artifacts into 5/5 threats (and they still retain their abilities, unless they're equipment).
    So you attacked for 10 on turn four. It's legacy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    I think the other cards are interesting and seem at a good power level. However, this seems pretty weak. Compare Rest for the Weary and Life Goes On.
    Hmm . . . 6 life and 4 life gain per mulligan? Is that too much then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I like Frank Karsten Mulligan tech actually and could be interesting:

BB
    Sorcery R
    Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card. Then for each mulligan you took this game, that opponent discards an additional card.

UU
    Sorcery
    Scry 1, then draw a card. Then for each mulligan you took this game, draw an additional card.
    It seems like there's potential for those to get silly if you mulligan twice. If you cast one, you get caught up on the mulligans, and if you cast a second, you're jumping ahead. Legacy seems to be the most mana cost sensitive of the formats so those cards would probably make more trouble elsewhere. Even so, I imagine the blue one would see play in high tide decks.

Power level on the white one is really low. I think a tithe sort of effect would be a way to bring it in more in line with the blue and black ones.

I guess the red one is OK in burn-type decks, but it's also not great compared to those two.

There's also a templating issue with the black one - are the additional cards chosen by you, or by the opponent?

Sep 2011

Hmm . . . 6 life and 4 life gain per mulligan? Is that too much then?
    Mulligan into A+B

Step 1: Serra Ascendant
    Step 2: This.
    Step 3: Opponent casts Oko, Thief of Crowns
    Step 4: Time to go to Chipotle before next round starts!

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Mulligan into A+B

Step 1: Serra Ascendant
    Step 2: This.
    Step 3: Opponent casts Oko, Thief of Crowns
    Step 4: Time to go to Chipotle before next round starts!
    IDK, run some FOW/FON/Daze?

IDK, run some FOW/FON/Daze?
    Yup, add some brainstorm, chuck it into a blue shell and it will work fine. Everything else does.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Yup, add some brainstorm, chuck it into a blue shell and it will work fine. Everything else does.
    4 Delver
    4 Serra Ascendant
    4 [Open]

4 Blue Mulligan Card
    4 White Mulligan Card
    4 STP
    4 BStorm
    4 Ponder
    4 FOW
    4 Daze
    2 FON
    2 Preordain

16 Lands

I'll take my 5-0 now

Final Goodbyes
    Enchantment
    Creatures exiled from the battlefield died. (Any abilities that trigger as if they had died trigger. They are still in exile)

I'm sure there's some powerful blink effects to combo with, but I'm thinking that graveyard hate like leyline and rip are only so cheap because of the more broken abilities, like dredge and flashback and that a deck trying to play fair with the graveyard shouldn't be so impacted.

Final Goodbyes
    Enchantment
    Creatures exiled from the battlefield died. (Any abilities that trigger as if they had died trigger. They are still in exile)

I'm sure there's some powerful blink effects to combo with, but I'm thinking that graveyard hate like leyline and rip are only so cheap because of the more broken abilities, like dredge and flashback and that a deck trying to play fair with the graveyard shouldn't be so impacted.
    Possible abuse in a Food Chain deck, I think. However, I do like the idea of playing defense against leyline and rip this way. Initially, I thought it was a bit underpowered, but it has the nice effect of requiring an opponent to have enchantment removal to make use of their hate. Also, no matter how many pieces of hate the opponents draw, they don't turn this off. I like the design. The wording did confuse me at first, and I think that something could be done to get it to line up with things like Hushbringer. Maybe something like:

Final Goodbyes
    Enchantment
    Creatures being exiled cause abilities to trigger as if those creatures had died.

I don't think there's a "clean" way to word it, since they made "dies" a word with rules value, so you'd need something like Soulherder templating to make sure you only get the correct exile effects. (Exiling a Spirit Guide for mana shouldn't count, for example) and your changing a rule so would we want a dash of Mirror Gallery?
    So in the end I settled on a simple line of text with a little reminder text, since reminder text gets to be more fluid and closer to plain English.

As for foodchain: I'm not too worried about it going into existing A+B combos like foodchain because adding a third (or in foodchain's case a fourth) card to the combo is just worse than the original combo. I'm more worried about Yorion and Ephemerate effects finding a something out of the new class of creatures they can combo with.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

What about this very wordy version:

Final Goodbyes B
    Enchantment
    Whenever a creature is exiled from the battlefield, abilities that would trigger if a creature died trigger as if a creature died.

What about this very wordy version:

Final Goodbyes B
    Enchantment
    Whenever a creature is exiled from the battlefield, abilities that would trigger if a creature died trigger as if a creature died.
    Would have to be even wordier to note that you're supposed to be treating the exiled creature as the dead one.

Whenever a creature is exiled from the battlefield, if another ability would have triggered if that creature had died, trigger that ability as if the exiled creature had died.

How about:
    Abilities that trigger when a creature dies trigger when a creature is exiled from the battlefield as well.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: triggering "dies" abilities on exile instead

This feels like one of those times where you'd want to define a keyword, give it intuitive reminder text, and then hide the rules garbage that actually Makes It Work in the Comp Rules. Then it'd work like abilities such as Madness or Unearth, which read one way but are complex in their implementation.

I feel like the quickest (maybe not best) implementation would be a set of rules that would use a replacement effect to send the would-be-exiled creature temporarily to the graveyard but then on checking the game state immediately exiles them, like we do with tokens (or did, last time I looked under the hood at the rules). This has allowed tokens to trigger "dies" effects while still being RFG'd for as long as I can remember, and it might be the solution to this problem as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

How about:
    Abilities that trigger when a creature dies trigger when a creature is exiled from the battlefield as well.
    It could be:

Creatures that would be exiled go to the graveyard, and are then exiled instead.

Though that does mess with some stuff like Duplicant.

In my quest to come up with cards I would love to see printed to fit into the Pox archetype, here is my newest one. Resource denial is a type of card that WOTC have moved away from in their current card building philosophy. Which sucks to us Pox players. So here is my attempt at a card to further the archetype, a card that would attempt to make Pox decks playable in the current meta. So yes, it's meant to be a little overpowered but not broken, to compete with cards like Oko and Uro. This card I have made, I think is most times better then Pox, sometimes Pox does hit for more life than this and hits more permanents, but this card definitely is better early game and the recursion helps keep the board disrupted and helps fight vs counters. With dark rituals you could even cast it and then flash it back say t3. So like I'm saying, it's meant to be a bit pushed, but not Breach or Lurrus level broken.

Pushed cards are just broken cards that they're not going to do anything about.

Thread Information