Page 23 of 102 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

Re: Cards you'd like to see WotC print for Eternal reasons

I still think focusing on costs and effects rather than spells and abilities is the way to go. By forbidding all costs that need discard we shut down all activated abilities (like Survival of the Fittest or Putrid Imp) and spells with additional costs (like Firestorm or Devastating Dreams), which if I understood Eternal Shepherd correctly is part of the plan. Then we could decide if we want to forbid all effects that include discard among other things or just those that force only discard.

Dick Stone -

Artifact

When dick stone comes into play, choose target permanent with atleast one static ability. During their upkeep, the owner of that permanent must pay or all static abilities on that permanent are countered until their next upkeep. (this does not effect mana abilities.)

You can't counter a static ability so it would have to be something like, "That card loses that ability until ~whenever" or something. Might even have to Phase that permanent out, even.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

I thoroughly encourage everyone to just skip on the extremely overdone and massively annoying "[Cheap mana cost] - [Optional: Ability making it hard to answer] [Ugly ability hosing Counterbalance/Top/Goyf]" design.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I thoroughly encourage everyone to just skip on the extremely overdone and massively annoying "[Cheap mana cost] - [Optional: Ability making it hard to answer] [Ugly ability hosing Counterbalance/Top/Goyf]" design.
    Okay

Eternal Shepherd
    Legendary Creature - Human Cleric

Sacrifice Eternal Shepherd: Put an indestructible 0/1 spirit token onto the battlefield.

For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit. John 3:34
    2/2

Quote Originally Posted by umbowta View Post
    Okay

Eternal Shepherd
    Legendary Creature - Human Cleric

Sacrifice Eternal Shepherd: Put an indestructible 0/1 spirit token onto the battlefield.

For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit. John 3:34
    2/2
    That would be pretty bad ass, I'd play clerics cuase of it

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Gibsonmac View Post
    That would be pretty bad ass, I'd play clerics cuase of it
    Amen.

Need I say more?

Awesome red bear :
    Creature- Human Bezerker
    Haste
    When awesome red bear comes into play destroy target non-basic land.
    2/2

UU U/2 instant
    Counter target spell. Return all permanents whose mana was used to cast this spell to their owner's hand.

WU creature
    3/4
    When ~ comes into play, draw a card.
    Creatures you control can't attack
    You can't play lands if you control at least 2 lands.

UUX instant
    Counter target spell. Then remove ~ from the game with X suspend counters if X>0, and name a card. The named card can't be played while ~ has time counters.

UX instant
    Target player skips his or her next X draws.

Quote Originally Posted by pi4meterftw View Post
    UUX instant
    Counter target spell. Then remove ~ from the game with X suspend counters if X>0, and name a card. The named card can't be played while ~ has time counters.

UX instant
    Target player skips his or her next X draws.
    So you'd like for them to obsolete Counterspell, while the current "standard" for permission is Cancel?
    And you'd like a blue Blaze to give you time walks? Oh yeah, great ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    So you'd like for them to obsolete Counterspell, while the current "standard" for permission is Cancel?
    And you'd like a blue Blaze to give you time walks? Oh yeah, great ideas!
    What? Nobody plays counterspell, the standard is definitely not cancel in eternal. And the thread asks for ideas about eternal. This is most definitely weaker than mana drain, which isn't even so broken as to not be fair in legacy. How is skipping draws timewalks? Lol one can exaggerate either way so much. This is a blue spell that instead of giving you the card advantage in one shot (which would be pretty strong, see stroke of genius and braingeyser) it gives you the cards overtime, most of the time about 1-2 per turn. The tradeoff is it's generally more powerful to stop your opponent from drawing a card than to draw a card yourself, although not by much. (You could, for example, be pressed to answer something he has already drawn and played, in which case you drawing would be much better.) I don't see how either of your complaints holds any meaning.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Preventing draws is far better than discard. Why was plow under considered good before fetches appeared? Why does Chittering Rats costs B more than Ravenous Rats? (I help, it's not because it has +1/+1)

Your UX instant is utterly broken. Can you imagine FS or Ustax with this? That would be stupid.

However if it was:
    Broken Time UX
    Instant
    Players skip their next X draws.
    It would be interesting as a tempo card in an aggro deck. It could be cheated with hellbent brainstorm.

Opposium 4

You may untap two creatures you control rather than pay Opposium's mana cost.

Activated abilities of permanents with "{tap symbol}" as a cost must untap instead, unless it is a mana ability. (other costs to activate remain unchanged).
    Creatures without vigilance must untap to attack.

4/6

The picture would be an giant, negatively colored opossum with a tophat.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by TotallySweet View Post
    Opposium 4

Activated abilities of permanents with "{tap symbol}" as a cost must untap instead, unless it is a mana ability. (other costs to activate remain unchanged).

4/6

I'm sure there must be something that is broken with.

Only thing I can think of is something like firewhip on birds of paradise or something. I know that's not broken but there's gotta be something broken out there with that.

Maybe opposition + a creature with a tap ability.

When you start changing costs into benefits you always run the risk of creating broken stupid stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TotallySweet View Post
    Opposium 4

4/6

Put a silver border on it and it's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I dont know if was directed at me or not. but that wasnt meant to hose cb/top/goyf specifically, rather anything that annoyed you to play against. a way to nulify an annoying permanent, like a glorious anthem/honor the pure in a kithkin deck or a chalice for 0 against combo or any random damned goblin or lock piece of stax or even in stax.

it was supposed to be like a pithing needle for static abilities, but with an optional out to it. I costed it based off of it coming from the original alpha/arabian/antiquities sets.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeLiam View Post
    Put a silver border on it and it's perfect.
    I can't help but make silly cards. I try to make serious ones but every time it just turns out like this.

:*(

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    I'm sure there must be something that is broken with.

Only thing I can think of is something like firewhip on birds of paradise or something. I know that's not broken but there's gotta be something broken out there with that.

Maybe opposition + a creature with a tap ability.

When you start changing costs into benefits you always run the risk of creating broken stupid stuff.
    That's just broken alone, since nobody can even get any mana and you've got a 4/6 into play...

Other than that, if you say non-land permanents, if you make it 1/4 in order for it to be out of range of bolt but also not too impressive, and if you say that these creatures have to be either W or G, then the design looks nice to me (out from broken combos I could not figure out). It would completely hose most %T abilities while it enables some neat combos opposition is nice but a bit slow. Tradewind rider is also slow.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Not really that original after the Anti-discard Dude, but still an interesting effect on its own:

Permanents can't be sacrificed.
    However, that would certainly cause some problems with Dreadnoughts, stuff that requires upkeep, etc. I hope this version would be less abuseable:

Moralfag
    Creature - Human Cleric
    Permanents can't be sacrificed to pay costs of spells or abilities.
    2/2

I think it would be a great hoser - out of my head, it would hose:
    Wasteland, Fetchlands, Pridemage, NO, Dark Depths combo, Cabal Therapy, Pridemage, LED, Lotus Pedal, Dread Return (among other things)

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

In a more compact way:
    Players can't pay sacrifice costs.

Thread Information