Page 55 of 102 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2033

Thread: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Re: Obligatory shitty card creation thread

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Shouldn't these be formatted as +1, -2, -7?
    Depends. The colored ones might be -2, +1, -6, right? Because they cost one mana more than Karn and thus you cannot play both them and yet another card on turn1.
    But yeah, it's mostly because of the original Autumn Willow's manacost.

bruizar

PirateKing: I think you are referring to the order of the abilities, right?

I like your version BDP. The +1 looks a little bit powerful, as I would imagine it being played like a Young Pyromancer with an ultimate and an occasional mana ramp / fixing ability. How do you feel about changing the arbors to 0/1's or even 0/2?

Let's hope WOTC is watching this thread.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post

I like your version BDP. The +1 looks a little bit powerful, as I would imagine it being played like a Young Pyromancer with an ultimate and an occasional mana ramp / fixing ability. How do you feel about changing the arbors to 0/1's or even 0/2?

Yeah, that's much better. A 0/1 plants that protect their queen. Either that or they cannot have shroud. Fixed the PW.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Yeah, just the order, not the strength or cost or anything
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Ok, challenge accepted.

Kaja, Willow of Autumn
    Planeswalker - Kaja
    2 loyalty
    -2: Each player searches his or her library for a Forest card and puts it otb.
    +1: Put a green 0/1 Dryad creature with shroud on the battlefield, lose one life.
    -6: You get an emblem "Forest you control also have 'tap: add an amout of
    to your mana pool equal to the number of Dryad creatures you control.'"
    That's way too good. You could play it as a 1 cc Nature's Lore and ignore the other abilities, and it would probably still be OP. Similarly, it would probably be viable as a chump factory.

I want to play too:

Rohgahh, Master of the Horde
    Planeswalker - Rohgahh
    2 loyalty
    +2: Exile a card from your hand. If you do, put a 0/2 red kobold creature token onto the battlefield.
    -3: If you attacked with a creature this turn, when you cast the next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may chose new targets for the copy.
    -7: Untap all creatures that attacked this turn. After this main phase there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    That's way too good. You could play it as a 1 cc Nature's Lore and ignore the other abilities, and it would probably still be OP. Similarly, it would probably be viable as a chump factory.
    Totally right. I already realized that. She must either die after Nature's Lore, or at least have a Doubling Season in play to survive the activation.
    PW fixed again. Notable changes: forests come tapped, dryad tokens lose shroud. Now it's worse then Nature's Lore and the dryads are no longer a Forcefield. Is it better?

Kaja, Willow of Autumn
    Planeswalker - Kaja
    2 loyalty
    -2: Each player searches his or her library for a basic Forest and puts it otb tapped.
    +1: Put a green 0/1 Dryad creature on the battlefield, lose one life.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Totally right. I already realized that. She must either die after Nature's Lore, or at least have a Doubling Season in play to survive the activation.
    PW fixed again. Notable changes: forests come tapped, dryad tokens lose shroud. Now it's worse then Nature's Lore and the dryads are no longer a Forcefield. Is it better?

Kaja, Willow of Autumn
    Planeswalker - Kaja
    2 loyalty
    -2: Each player searches his or her library for a Forest card and puts it otb tapped.
    +1: Put a green 0/1 Dryad creature on the battlefield, lose one life.
    It's STILL busted. Starting on loyalty, it might be okay. With basic forest instead of savannah etc.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    It's STILL busted. Starting on loyalty, it might be okay. With basic forest instead of savannah etc.
    I guess you're right, one mana search for dual/Arbor is a bit too much. Fixed again...

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

I guess you're right, one mana search for dual/Arbor is a bit too much. Fixed again...
    if starting on loyalty 1, I think it's fine.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Feyermorn Battlepriest
    Creature - Human Cleric
    Feyermorn Battlepriest attacks each turn if able.
    Nonbasic lands enter the battlefield tapped.
    2/2
    The world slows down as the battle speeds up.

bruizar

I want to play too:

Rohgahh, Master of the Horde
    Planeswalker - Rohgahh
    2 loyalty
    +2: Exile a card from your hand. If you do, put a 0/2 red kobold creature token onto the battlefield.
    -3: If you attacked with a creature this turn, when you cast the next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may chose new targets for the copy.
    -7: Untap all creatures that attacked this turn. After this main phase there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase.
    I wonder how this would be played. I think some kobold storm variant would try this. You can ramp it to 4 and gain a kobold, exiling your worst card, then, -3 and copy a culling the weak / red ritual / glimpse of nature and go off depending on the list. I think the wording right now is that, even when your Glimpse of Nature is countered, the copy still resolves if you activated Roghahh's -3, correct?

Alternatively, you can make 2 kobolds, and copy 2 spells to achieve card parity again, but that means Rohgahh dies. Could still be very useful in a control list where you can copy treasure cruise or ponder. Turn 1 rohgahh, turn 2 double ponder or double brainstorm with a fetch land is really good.

I don't immediately see how the -7 would be played, but maybe that's just fine.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    When you make it search for a basic forest, it's even better I think. At least, when both players are allowed to search for a forest card, players can splash a dual against it. Otherwise, the effect will often be even more asymmetric than veteran explorer. The fact that it enters the battlefield tapped should offset its power I think.

Consider the following scenario:

Turn 1 (t1), Kaja, +1 get 0/1 arbor
    Turn 2 (t1), your opponent does something
    Turn 3 (t2), -2 search for a tapped forest or a tapped dryad arbor, your opponent grabs a dryad arbor
    Turn 4 (t2), your opponent attacks Kaja with a Dryad arbor. You must chump with your 0/1 dryad.
    Turn 5 (t3), +1 get 0/1 arbor, board is now 1/1 dryad arbor, Kaja on 2 loyalty, and a 0/1 dryad.
    Turn 6 (t3), Attack with Kaja Dryad Arbor, trade the 2 dryad arbors, or if you searched for a forest, then keep trading 0/1's against his dryad arbor.

Obviously, this only happens when no one is playing other spells, but as you can see it's incredibly slow if your opponent pressures Kaja with a splashed dryad arbor. 9 times out of 10.

When you -2 against combo that splashes a forest card, you are almost certainly dead.

So, in practice I think the +1 will be used most often, ramping to ultimate and then dropping bombs. The -2 will largely be ignored I think. The +1 is very good against decks with only a couple of win conditions. It would lose against swarm decks, but that means you need to overcommit to the board to pressure your opponent which sets you up for sweepers.

I think it's important to realize that, if your opponent does not answer any dryad, you're looking to hardcast Emrakul on turn 5 (5 lands tapping for 4 dryads each). If you add dryad arbor to the equation it becomes crazy quickly. You are 1 mana short theoretically hardcasting Kozilek, Ulamog and Emrakul on turn 5 with the following sequence.

Forest, Kaja, +1, (3 loyalty)
    Fetch, Dryad Arbor, +1 (4 loyalty)
    Fetch, Dryad Arbor, +1 (5 loyalty)
    Fetch, Dryad Arbor, +1 (6 loyalty)
    Forest, -6 Emblem
    Add 7*5=35 mana to mana pool, triple eldrazi: 10, 15, 11

You will probably be playing with crop rotations and gaea's cradles in this list too.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Good points, bruizar. I'm back in the "each player searches for a Forest card" camp, simply because the opponents should be able to find the duals and get rid of the PW (Taiga->Bolt, Bayou->Decay) or at least pressure her (Savannah->dude, Trop->Delver).
    Wow. I thought that it's an easy taks to design crappy planeswalker, but the more points you bring, the more I see how problematic this idea of mine was. Even as a one-mana Forcefield, she's not exactly bad, and both the ramp options are not exactly safe.

bruizar

I think that your ultimate is the most dangerous ability of all. The other two are probably fine; but the ultimate has inevitability written all over it. If you resolve Kaja and your opponent cannot interact with you, you are facing Emrakul which is uncounterable. You could even fetch for a land and hardcast 4 Panglacial Wurms from your deck :D.

That said, Abrupt Decay is uncounterable and pyroclasm, electrickery, and so many other answers address Kaja, including Repeal. If it really would become a troublesome card, I could see people play Izzet Staticaster.

It would be great to see if we can make a cycle of 6 of these (5 one mana PW's and Karn)
    Last edited by bruizar; 12-30-2014 at 06:44 AM.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Yes, I know that the ultimate is dangeorus. Otoh, it needs those cards to have either in hand or to get them via say Genesis Wave. Compared to say JTMS (I know, i know... cmc4 card and loooots of turns) this doesn't even win on itself, it needs cards to win with the mana. Notto mention that both Decay prior the emblem and PYroclasm any time during the "build up" is a serious hindrance. The best answer I can come with is that uncounterable deal two dmg to both players and all creatures that conveniently and simultaneously kills dryads and cripples Kaja.

Yes, I'd love if we can make a full cycle. So far Karn is set (and it's imho a well designed, maybe he should be limited to "destroy non-lands") and the red one (whom I cannot spell right :-P ) is also interesting.

I wonder how this would be played. I think some kobold storm variant would try this. You can ramp it to 4 and gain a kobold, exiling your worst card, then, -3 and copy a culling the weak / red ritual / glimpse of nature and go off depending on the list. I think the wording right now is that, even when your Glimpse of Nature is countered, the copy still resolves if you activated Roghahh's -3, correct?

Alternatively, you can make 2 kobolds, and copy 2 spells to achieve card parity again, but that means Rohgahh dies. Could still be very useful in a control list where you can copy treasure cruise or ponder. Turn 1 rohgahh, turn 2 double ponder or double brainstorm with a fetch land is really good.

I don't immediately see how the -7 would be played, but maybe that's just fine.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the copy ability should circumvent counterspells the same way that, say, storm triggers do.

I think the big pay-off for the copy ability is to copy bigger spells like Fireblast and Seething Song (and yes *sigh* Treasure Cruise) rather than Glimpse of Nature or Brainstorm. It might well be too strong, regardless.

The -3 and -7 abilities are references to Howl of the Horde and Fury of the Horde.

The -7 doesn't seem so strong to me either, and I'm also fine with that.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the copy ability should circumvent counterspells the same way that, say, storm triggers do.

I think the big pay-off for the copy ability is to copy bigger spells like Fireblast and Seething Song (and yes *sigh* Treasure Cruise) rather than Glimpse of Nature or Brainstorm. It might well be too strong, regardless.

The -3 and -7 abilities are references to Howl of the Horde and Fury of the Horde.

The -7 doesn't seem so strong to me either, and I'm also fine with that.
    The fact that it makes Kobolds and was cheap made me think of the old cheeri0s storm deck, so copying a Glimpse would be very relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

bruizar

Okay here's another attempt.

After killing and taking possession of Kenan Sahrmal's body, the body rejected Lim Dûl's evil spirit. The great necromancer Lim Dûl, once a slave to Leshrac, returned to his true form, a living ball of raw flesh. The living remains of Lim Dûl wander the planes, in search of a suitable host: one with a soul as dark as his own.

Lim Dûl, The Living Remains
    Snow Planeswalker - Lim Dûl
    B
    +1: Sacrifice a creature, then gain 2 life. Use this ability only if you have a creature.
    -3: Scry 1, then lose 1 life. You may repeat this as many times as you want.
    -4: Put a 2/2 Zombie into play for each snow permanent you control.
    2 loyalty

+1: Sacrifice a creature, then gain 2 life.
    Lim Dûl's spirit takes possession of a new body, only to find out that his host rejects Lim Dûl's dark spirit.

This ability gives you a little bit more life to fuel the second ability. Other than that it's pretty bad, but serves a goal in the overall design of the card. It makes Lim Dûl very fragile. Planeswalkers are normally judged by their ability to defend themselves (e.g. jace bounce, elspeth token); however, Lim Dûl does not only fail to protect itself, but opens itself up to aggro. This ability fairs well with the zombie theme, cards like Gravecrawler and Bloodghast can use the +1 consistently. The ability is also a good sack outlet for cards like Veteran Explorer. The +1 is a costly barrier to the other two abilities, which are considerably more powerful.

-3: Scry 1, then lose 1 life. You may repeat this as many times as you want.
    Lim Dûl searches the planes for a suitable host: one as dark as his own.

This is a reference to Lim Dûl's vault. This ability is very strong, since it looks a little like Spoils of the Vault, Vampiric Tutor and Demonic Consultation. However, getting Lim Dûl to 3 loyalty is quiet a pain since it requires you to run creatures, which do not lend themselves very well to black combo decks. The fact that this is sorcery speed balances the ability, because you can't draw the card immediately after popping the -3. It's therefore also weak to cards like Jace, the Mindsculptor or Thought Scour.

-4: Put a 2/2 Zombie into play for each snow permanent you control.
    Lim Dûl summons his fallen armies from the snowy peaks at Gix.

Lim Dûl became a necromancer after finding the ring of Mairsil, nearly dying during a blizzard near the conclave of mages. This ability ties into his necromancy skills. This ability gives Lim Dûl a beat down plan, but usually the size of the army shouldn't be too big. Dark Depths, Scrying Sheets, Snow-Covered Swamp are the better snow cards that can fuel this. This ability is best in a mono black deck (Pox, Donner Afterparty). Pox can use the card selection, and (hopefully) the deck building requirements are narrow enough so that blue decks do not benefit from it.

As for the art, I was thinking of something like Wall of Putrid Flesh and Living Wall.

Another design route would be to make it so that you can only play this card from your graveyard, similar to Haakon, Stromgald Scourge. This would make it quiet cool in dredge, or with entomb, and fits nicely with the taking possession of a living creature lore.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

O_O Wow, this is what I call creativity! That's really nice design and flavourful story. I really like the card, and I also like some of the unconventional ideas like the one with Haakon-like casting restriction or the whole concept of a PW that nearly doesn't defend himself.

bruizar

O_O Wow, this is what I call creativity! That's really nice design and flavourful story. I really like the card, and I also like some of the unconventional ideas like the one with Haakon-like casting restriction or the whole concept of a PW that nearly doesn't defend himself.
    Thanks man. Appreciate the kind words! The Haakon take is interesting but it would alter the card quiet a bit I think. Need to think about how to do that :-).

The blue one and the white one are still up for grabs, who will try one?

Thread Information