Thread: "choose new target/s"

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

"choose new target/s"

These words are actually used with Storm ability. They define that untargeted spells created by Storm can be targeted even when they are already on stack. Its done so because target must be chosen while the spell comes on stack, and rules exactly define that target cannot be changed while the spell is already on stack, except another spell effect allows this.

"Choose new targets" is also used on spell Commandeer, but the rulings also say that "you can change targets", which has also a bit different meaning.

What exactly does "choose new targets" when no additional ruling is applied?

Changing the target means, that old target is no longer targeted and new target is chosen - as with Deflection.

Choose new target means that new target can be defined, when no target is currently chosen for spell already on stack, or if target is already chosen this allows to choose another additional target while the old target remains?

That wording seems for me very confusing, when mixed up with word "choose" used on Clone.

Nov 2008
    Tampere, Finland

Re: "choose new target/s"

"Change the target" is used when the changing is mandatory and there's only one target to change (for example Swerve).

"Choose new targets" is used when the changing is optional and the spell might have more than one target. You can't choose extra targets, only change the current ones.
    Level 2 Judge

Sep 2009

Well then why its not written as "you may change targets" at least on Oracle?

Sep 2009

Just another question with Commandeer

Gain control on noncreature spell.

You may choose new targets fo it.

Rules about targeting say that Target is being chosen when the card is put onto stack. The second effect of Commandeer is one of few exceptions of that rule.

I dont know WHEN exactly I change the target or in which order, or if i am supposed to define targets when Commandeer is put on stack.

There are two variations between i cannot decide which is correct.

"Spell A" is put on stack, costs are paid, mode is chosen and target is designated.

I will react with Commandeer. I pay its costs... First target that i have to define is a Spell which will be affected. I am absolutely sure that this target which is target of Commandeer must be defined at time i am playing the Commandeer.

The effect "you may choose new targets for it"... Shall i define new targets when Commandeer is put on stack, or at time when Commandeer resolves - at same time when i actually gain control of "Spell A" and while "Spell A" is still on stack.

The reason of such confusing is because of stack... If I play commandeer i can designate only the targets which are required for spell that I am putting on the stack.

I have taken a look at Misdirection and one of its rulings - "The new target for the deflected spell is not chosen until this spell resolves." The question is if I have to choose target before Misdirection or Commandeer resolves, or after it as a part of resolution.

oh.. this seems promising... "You choose the spell to target on announcement, but you pick the new target for that spell on resolution. "

Meat Slicer at Deli

Mar 2004
    Ypsi, MI

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=121243

^^ gatherer for commandeer ^^

Anyway, it sounds to me like you choose the new target for whatever spell you're stealing wen commandeer resolves and you gain control of it.

I"m assuming it goes like this.

Opponent plays lightning bolt targeting your face. You play commandeer targeting lightning bolt. Commandeer resolves. You choose new target for lightning bolt. New target takes damage.

Notice that things like duress can be stolen as well, as the spell equates itself to being played from your hand, so the "you" in it and "target opponent" swap.
    Whenever I see a kid in a wheelchair it makes me a little sad. Because I always think, "Gee, they could have used those same wheels to make a bike for a regular kid. What a waste."

Sep 2009

I know. If my opponent has Imperial mask which says that he cannot be target of spells so i cannot use another target for duress i have to keep previous target (me), but if it is illegal (i cannot target myself) it will be countered due this as long i know.

Some told me that this spell is easy to understand but i see a lot of complexity in it.

And yes - I will choose new target for stolen/misdirected spell after the Commandeer, Misdirection or similar spells will resolve.

Sep 2009

just one thing. When i gain control of that spell it means that i am allowed to choose targets by exact method as the stolen spell allows.

For example if the stolen spell has wording "choose a player" I will choose, not target, if the stole spell has "target opponent" i can only target opponents which are not protected by effect such as Imperial mask, and the last possibility I will not change the target.

is it exact interpretation?

Quote Originally Posted by Offler View Post
    just one thing. When i gain control of that spell it means that i am allowed to choose targets by exact method as the stolen spell allows.

For example if the stolen spell has wording "choose a player" I will choose, not target,
    Anything that uses "choose" happens on resolution. If you gain control of the spell, you of course get to make the choice upon resolution, but it has nothing to do with changing targets.

if the stole spell has "target opponent" i can only target opponents which are not protected by effect such as Imperial mask, and the last possibility I will not change the target.
    If the spell says "target opponent" and you gain control of the spell, that now means you can only target *your* opponents, of course.

Some spells that change targets say "you may change the target", where others say "change the target". The former is optional; you may choose not to change the target. The latter is not optional - if you have a legal target, you *must* change the target.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information