Page 103 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105 LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2099

Thread: [Deck] UW Tempo

Re: [Deck] UW Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by 1337erhosen View Post
    You don't understand. The whole point of Land Tax is to turn Brainstorm into Ancestral Recall. You're not actually playing the basics. You just get all 5 out of your deck, play brainstorm, put the basics back, and then search them out again. You only need the activations after you Brainstorm, and by then you have basics to search out again.

You might play out one or two basics, but if you ever draw any other land you're playing that first. You might need more basics if you were planning on playing them out, but you're not because you've got Vial and Wasteland. You just keep them in your hand to abuse with Brainstorm.

The land tax version is forced to be super focused around Brainstorm, and that's why it's playing 4 Snapcaster Mage. What makes it good is that every Brainstorm basically reads: Draw 3 Cards. You play the same strategy as RUG Tempo of playing the least amount of lands to make your topdecks optimal, and in addition your Brainstorms are just better.

This version plays the control deck against aggro and combo and plays aggro against control. You have lots of disruption backed up with the card advantage to win the long game that you force your opponents into.
    Why don't you just use squadron hawk then? With vial doesn't it do the same thing? And then you have a deck full of flying jitte holders that actually do something, even in multiples.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

+1 starscream, but hawk is crap, just play cards that don't suck.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Pretty interesting list. No FoW or Daze though?

No FoW .. Daze I believe he didn't have either.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I imagine the opponents played around blue counter magic all day long just due to the colors of the deck. Pretty ninja of him.

That deck looks so broken really. And so fun to play too! Don't think I've been so excited to see and play a deck like this since manaless dredge :D

Bummer in the video he loses, but game coule have probably gone both ways. Especially with the Perish tech after sideboarding. Wow, that was just mindblowing!

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

New List looks promising-

4 Tundra
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    2 Glacial Fortress
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas

2 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Geist of Saint Traft
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Batterskull

4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Vapor Snag
    4 Path to Exile
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder

Board:
    3 Jotun Grunt
    4 Spell Pierce
    3 Submerge
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Oblivion Ring

Equipment on a geist seems fine to me... Feel like swords to plowshares could be the correct card...

I will be giving this deck a try at my local tourney, I will be playing this list:

3 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Geist of Saint Traft
    4 Delver of Secrets

4 Vapor Snag
    4 Swords to plowshares
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will

1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

20 lands.

I'm not too sure about the 4 force of will MD, Not sure if spell pierce would be good in here too. I tried Geist of saint traft as a 4-off, but drawing multiple isn't that good. Vapor Snag and Snapcaster Mage were really good during my play testing.

Aug 2012
    Hamburg

Hey,

I want to try out a similar list but I really want to play mom in place of the vapor snag. Yes, it does lower the spell count but I think the card is overall more powerful. Also has anyone tried Augur of Bolas yet?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Would Judge's Familiar fit in this deck? Both the flying ability and the taxing counter have synergy with the deck's strategy (i.e. slap a Jitte on a cheap creature and activate Weathered Wayfarer).

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Yes of course. The questions, however, are: what to take out for it, and will it be enough to make the deck viable in today's metagame?

Aug 2011
    Italy

Anybody still playing with this, I'm seeing UW Fish doing some number of T8 around Europe.

I've actually been playing an Esper Tempo list, and have been loving it. Lingering Souls, and the sb options that you get, make it worth it I think.

Creatures [10]
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

Spells [31]
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Stifle
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Spell Pierce
    3 Lingering Souls
    3 Ponder
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine

Lands [19]
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    1 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flats
    1 Polluted Delta
    3 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    1 Underground Sea

Sideboard:
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Perish
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Detention Sphere
    2 Timely Reinforcements

The discard is brought in vs combo, and Tundra control along with the Extractions. They are also pretty decent against Goblins, where you can go +2 Explosives, +1 Timely Reinforcements. Perish is for Maverick, obviously. Spheres are my plan vs RUG and SnT decks.

I'm pretty happy with the deck though I want to fit Mother of Runes somewhere, but can't ;/. Still, Delver+Stoneforge is brutal at times.

edit: I honestly don't find this new UW Tempo deck to be better than the old creature package. Though the old creature package looked janky as hell it's actually much more solid than relying on flipping Delver. With the addition of Thalia (I think the bitch is perfect for the deck) we can make an even more solid UW Tempo deck.

I'm not sure if it would be better to go with the full x4 Daze, or x3 Daze, 1 Pierce. Something to consider would to go x3 Daze, x2 Pierce, x3 Vial, though I'm not sure that would be all that good.

Lands
    4 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Wasteland
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    1 Karakas

Creatures
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Weathered Wayfarer
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Vendilion Clique
    2 Geist of Saint Traft

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

Sideboard:
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Jotun Grunt
    2 Detention Sphere
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Sphere of Law
    1 Worship

I'm running the miser Geist over the 4th Clique since Clique can get to be horribly in multiples. I actually wonder if Fathom Seer would be better here (draw 2 vs insane clock...). Though I've always hated Seer, as a 1-of it woudn't be that bad.

All in all I feel that the deck is pretty decent. The Clique lock is a lot stronger than running 5 million Fathom Seers so I don't see why it wasn't added before hand. Especially when JANKY shit like Vexing Sphinx was added.

This list is also very good with Vial (a lot better than any Fathom Seer build) as you have more SFM's, and have the Clique lock (pretty huge).
    Last edited by Kanti; 09-27-2012 at 11:34 PM.

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

A whole lot of blue 16 cards for Force of Will, which is close to unplayable, since Brainstorm is so important in the deck, and you never want to pitch it.

I've actually been feeling the same way lately and cut the Serra Avengers and a Daze for +1 Geist, +2 Spell Pierce. Not sure this is correct though as x4 Daze help ensure a protected Stoneforge Mystic or Aether Vial. I opted to run SFM+Batterskull in this deck as it really runs the most ways to protect the damn thing than any other deck I can think of.

Lyev Skyknight seems unreal good here.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I have been reading up on old school temporary solution decklists for fun. Enlightened tutur is the best tutor that remains, can't we find a way to break it in a UW shell?

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Adarkar Wastes
    7 Plains
    6 Island
    1 Seat of Synod
    1 Ancient Den

3 Waterfront Bouncer
    4 Silver Knight
    4 Gilded Drake
    4 Meddling Mage
    3 Exalted Angel

4 Brainstorm
    4 Stifle
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Parallax Wave
    1 Parallax Tide
    1 Energy Flux
    1 Worship
    1 Engineered Explosives

Sideboard:
    1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
    1 Parallax Wave
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Waterfront Bouncer
    1 Seal of Removal
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Energy Flux
    3 Chill
    3 Parallax Tide

Even as this list it looks legacy playable with spell pierces in the board. It has the ability to wrath or geddon an opponent plus enlightened tutor for whatever hate it wanted to pack, hello RIP...

lol, im still reading the stock list...

against goblins you get Silver Knight plus Worship, Meddling Mage is for storm, Waterfront Bouncer is for Reanimator, after you stifle the draw 7 effect, parallax wave is for maverick, the parallax tide is for miracles, so funny....

You can most likely keep a solid manabase due to the tide/stifle interaction and the want to hit 4 mana.
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 11-17-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Double post and a necro, but first: What happened to the UW Tempo guys? pietermeir and Forbidian i think? They used to run this thread... Secondly, has anyone tried land tax in the UW tempo shell?

Don't Tell Stacy
    Jul 2010
    Sioux City, IA

They were banned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    My love for Valakut knows no bounds. It mise well read:
    Land - Super Duper Mountain
    When you play a land, LIGHTNING BOLT!
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Strange as it may seem, this deck seems like the best place for Ruhan of the Fomori. A 7/7 with the right equipment will end games nightmarishly quick, and it comes with the perk of being blue to pitch to Force of Will if you draw into extra copies. And it wouldn't be too hard to protect him in counter-heavy build.
    Follow me on Twitter @RaNDoMxGeSTuReS

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by RaNDoMxGeSTuReS View Post
    They were banned.
    Banned? Are we allowed to talk about it?

BTW Im fucking retarded and am reading the last two pages of the thread where I am involved in conversations about the lists I have posted and asked questions about....

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

Greetings All!

I recently started toying with a UW Tempo list at my local shop. I had really been enjoying both RUG and UW Miracles, but wanted to try something new. So more or less on the fly, I put together the following monstrosity. This is what I could reconstruct from memory of the "Vaporblade" list that did well at a GP awhile back. I apologize in advance as the list itself is a ways off and the results suffered due to that. I will clarify further below. This is the list I was trying to recreate: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fred-...mp-vaporblade/

However this is what I ended up putting together:

Maindeck-60
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Geist of Saint Traft
    1 Vendilion Clique
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Stifle
    3 Daze
    3 Force of Will
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    4 Vapor Snag
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra
    1 Glacial Fortress
    2 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Moorland Haunt
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard-15
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Path to Exile
    3 Rest in Peace
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Supreme Verdict
    3 Submerge

I played against RUG (1-1-1), Affinity (1-1-1), and Walking Dead (0-2). So my record as stated here is not that exciting. I did learn a good bit about the deck from playing it. In the MU with RUG, I was able to stabilize in game 3 but couldn't find a threat to close out the game. I think this match up is pretty reasonable for us, as a resolved and protected Batterskull basically means they can't win the game. Additionally, an active Jitte is really tough for them to deal with too. Overall our removal is better than theirs, so we can afford to burn ours early since we typically should have a stronger mid-late game due to Snappy rebuying removal and countermagic. I made a really big mistake in my first sideboarded game, as I boarded in Rest in Peace without boarding out Snapcasters. This was a pretty sorry oversight on my part. Then in game 3 I boarded out the Snapcasters which contributed to the lack of threats to close out the final game. In hindsight, while Rest in Peace is straight baller against RUG Delver, it is not the right piece of graveyard hate to be running in this deck, as it non-bos with one of the key card advantage engines in the deck. After consulting the above link for the actual decklist, it would appear that Jotan Grunt and Surgical Extraction are, indeed, the correct graveyard hate cards to be playing in this deck's sideboard. Grunt is a great threat while also nullifying silly Goyfs and Geese.

Affinity was surprisingly difficult. For this matchup I would suggest the inclusion of Spell Snare and Spell Pierces for Cranial Plating and Tezzeret. Then again, this advice might need to be mitigated depending on the specific configuration of the Affinity build. Honestly the only things you really need to deal with are Tezzeret, Etched Champion, and Cranial Plating. The rest of their deck is pretty bad. Neither my board or the one from the GP address this deck particullay well. So if Affinity is part of your meta you may want to dedicate some slots to it.

As for the MU versus Walking Dead, I mulliganed to 6 game one and 5 in game two (on the play both games)... which for a deck that is based on so much targeted discard, makes their job a hell of a lot easier. I will say, that in game two, I made a vital Brainstorm error. Had I taken a Vapor Snag over a Batterskull, I would have been able to clear a path for lethal damage. I forgot to include the -1 life from the Vapor Snag in my assessment of the game state. As for the board and this MU, I think that between Grunt and Extraction we should be covered pretty well.

I have a few more overarching thoughts on the deck that I feel also need to be shared. I think I was a little too ambitious with the manabase. I would attribute some of the troubles that I had in winning some of my games to land and color production count. As the list above shows, I was only running 18 lands. The GP list was running 19. I think that this deck needs to be in the 19-21 range. I think I may try 19 as the GP list suggests and then work from there. Additionally you will notice that I had a total of 5 colorless producing lands. These led to both of the mulligans in round three against the Walking Dead. While mana denial can win games, I don't think destabilizing our mana base is worth the risk. I think the last point worth noting was that I squeezed in Stifles at the expense of other spells. I think after playing the deck in this configuration, the Stifles should be cut. So I will be moving my list more toward the GP Edelkamp list for my next tourney. I will give some findings on the updates in a week or two.

Proposed Maindeck-60
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Geist of Saint Traft
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    4 Vapor Snag
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Tundra
    2 Glacial Fortress
    3 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Flex Slot-Sword of X and Y

Sideboard-15
    2 Surgical Extraction
    4 Spell Pierce
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Jotan Grunt
    1 Oblivion Ring
    3 Submerge

Thanks for the read! If you have any thoughts about this deck/improvements that could help it out, please comment. Let's get some discussion on this deck rolling again.
    Last edited by Sturtzilla; 02-23-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Thread Information